Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
crushem
Banned

Wanna buy a large-screen "plasma high definition picture"

Man arrested in alleged sales of pictures, not TVs, on eBay

By Larry Hobbs, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Friday, October 17, 2003

What should happen to Roberts? Jail time 44% 461 Repay the money 11% 118 Lifetime ban from eBay 7% 77 Nothing 37% 384 Total Votes 1040

WELLINGTON -- A budding young entrepreneur went on eBay in March, promising savvy television shoppers a bundle in savings on a large-screen "plasma high definition picture," the sheriff's office said.

And that is just what 19-year-old Jeffrey Roberts of Wellington delivered. A picture -- of a big-screen plasma television. Deputies said at least four eBay shoppers from coast to coast took the bait, netting Roberts a total of $11,726.

But authorities were not amused, nor were they satisfied that Roberts met the legal terms of the offer by mailing buyers a "picture." Deputies arrested Roberts, of 12064 Suellen Circle, Wednesday and charged him with grand theft. He was released from the Palm Beach County Jail Wednesday on $3,000 bond and is set to appear in court Nov. 21.

"Most people thought, 'Wow! What a deal,' " said Detective Pete Palenzuela of the sheriff's business crimes unit. "The victims would send him a personal check... but instead of a television, he would FedEx them a small envelope with a picture of a television inside."

The victims hailed from California, Illinois, Georgia and Connecticut, and paid anywhere from $800 to $5,100 for what they believed were high-definition plasma televisions with screens ranging from 50 to 61 inches, Palenzuela said. Such cutting-edge technology sets can cost between $8,000 and $10,000 in retail stores.

Roberts' justification didn't hold up with authorities. First, he advertised in the popular online auction company's electronics section. And although the headings described the item as a "picture," the high-tech details that were included made it clear the seller was describing a television, Palenzuela said.

Sang Park of Palatine, Ill., paid $3,701, thinking he had bought a 50-inch Panasonic.

Park still has the computer print-out photograph that he received instead.

"I said, 'You gotta be kidding' " said Park, 32, a dentist. "I e-mailed him back and he said, 'That's the item you were bidding on.' "

Deputies tracked down Roberts through complaints filed by Park and others with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center. But Roberts' arrest offers little solace to Park.

"After a while he basically sent me an e-mail saying that he went fishing and lost his cellphone, so there's no way to get ahold of him," Park said. "I want my money back."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...d712000e3.html

crushem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Who the heck buys a big-screen on ebay?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Why do people think they can get away with fraud on EBay?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Never used ebay, never will. I don't trust anyone.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
crushem
Banned

I bought a 1967 Pro-Street Chevelle on ebay. I recieved it but as more of these scams are apparent I may be not this to much any more.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Buyer beware. Be smart, as you should be in all transactions, and you will come out ok.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
Buyer beware. Be smart, as you should be in all transactions, and you will come out ok.

Well, you say that but then how "smart" can you be in all transactions. For instance, people thought they were being smart by paying $500 or however much less for a tv but instead they were being conned. Without hindsight- who is being less smart: the person who goes and pays $500 more and gets it at Best Buy or the person who saves $500 and gets it on ebay? Obviously in this case, with hindsight being 20/20, the former. However, if the person on ebay was legit- obviously the latter. Everything's a calculated risk and there is rarely an absolute right or wrong in this type of decision.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Well, you say that but then how "smart" can you be in all transactions. For instance, people thought they were being smart by paying $500 or however much less for a tv but instead they were being conned. Without hindsight- who is being less smart: the person who goes and pays $500 more and gets it at Best Buy or the person who saves $500 and gets it on ebay? Obviously in this case, with hindsight being 20/20, the former. However, if the person on ebay was legit- obviously the latter. Everything's a calculated risk and there is rarely an absolute right or wrong in this type of decision.

SI

But some of these people weren't very smart , like anyone who thought they were gonna get a high definition plasma tv for 500 bucks, 800, or even 1500...

It'd have to be stolen, a scam or just a joke.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
crushem
Banned

Personally, I would have caught on since I have been to Best Buy many times to realize that this was a scam.

edit:
spelling

Last edited by crushem : 10-18-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Use your common sense. If you think you are getting an absolutely totally amazing deal from somebody who is not demonstrating the product right in front of you, and then helping you load it in your truck, you are not being smart with your money. Those people were an easy con, because part of the trick is making people think they are getting something really expensive for a super discount. They should have thought of one of the basic rules in life, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:18 AM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

Ebay is good for many things, but you really have to watch out for scams. I've received quite a few e-mails asking to "confirm" my password and login id. They look like they're from Ebay - all the way down to the logo and everything. But as soon as I do, they have yet another account to hijack and commit fraud from. You just gotta be careful, especially with electronics - TVs, computers, PDAs, laptops, etc.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:29 PM   #12
CAsterling
High School JV

Reminds me of that wonderful old saying.

'If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is'

Got to admit I laughed when I read this, technically he is correct, he gave the bidders exactly what he described.......must remember to keep an eye out for his court case.