Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Big 12 game of the week

My pick for game of the week is:

OSU vs Texas Tech.

Texas tech is the only school other than OU that remains undefeated. They have an excellent shot at winning the south if they can beat OU. However, I dont expect this to be an easy game for Tech, and I think OSU will give them a serious run for their money.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

Oklahoma State won't be able to handle Tech's passing offense. Not many teams have the depth to do that. NC State won, not by containing the offense, but by scoring on their defense with a multiple-weapon attack. Fields to Woods won't be able to do it themselves, and Bell would have to step it up on the ground, and I just don't see that happening. Tech wins, by 10 or more.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on how to stop Tech's offense and its the same formulas used against the Pardee offense of the Cougars and Mouse Davis.

Either rush 3 cover with 8 and punish the receivers, or blitz and beatdown the quarterback.

The two games I watched with Tech rushed 3 or 4 and covered.

I want to see someone blitz Tech and not give up when they get burned and punish Symons.

What Tech does is spread their offensive line out so much that D-linemen are spread out themselves. I am surprised Tech hasnt gotten more flags for illegal formation then they do.

I believe if Oklahoma State can punish Symons and control the ball with the run, by the 4th quarter a pretty bad Tech defense will be worn down.

Can they do that? Sure, they have a decent running game. I don't know if they will or stick to the blitz when they get burned which is inevitable. You are going to give up points and yards to Tech, you just have to punish them and tackle cleanly.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
There seems to be 2 schools of thought on how to stop Tech's offense and its the same formulas used against the Pardee offense of the Cougars and Mouse Davis.

Either rush 3 cover with 8 and punish the receivers, or blitz and beatdown the quarterback.

The two games I watched with Tech rushed 3 or 4 and covered.

I want to see someone blitz Tech and not give up when they get burned and punish Symons.

What Tech does is spread their offensive line out so much that D-linemen are spread out themselves. I am surprised Tech hasnt gotten more flags for illegal formation then they do.

I believe if Oklahoma State can punish Symons and control the ball with the run, by the 4th quarter a pretty bad Tech defense will be worn down.

Can they do that? Sure, they have a decent running game. I don't know if they will or stick to the blitz when they get burned which is inevitable. You are going to give up points and yards to Tech, you just have to punish them and tackle cleanly.

Interesting. Last year, the only team to handle Kingsbury as well as OU was none other than the CU Buffs.

They didn't do either of the things you mentioned. They used a standard 4 man rush for most of the game, mixing in only occasional blitzes. They kept everything in front of them. Their thought before the game was to change up coverages enough in the secondary to force Tech into mistakes. Well, Kingsbury had four INT's that day.

I think your best bet, if you are OSU, is to blitz the hell out of him. Blitz the guy from every direction, especially on the early downs. Try to force third and longs where you can keep the WR in front of you.

I'm not impressed with the OSU defense. K-State lit them up. I'm hoping Ok State can pull it off, but I'd favor the Red Raiders to take them tomorrow.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I see what youre saying Troy. I didnt say those were the only 2 ways to do it.

If you can get pressure with your 4 down linemen, then that is probably is the way to go. I dont know if OSU can.

My personal belief is to try and depend on making Symons make a mistake by bringing pressure then depend on solid tackling downfield. From watching Tech, their group of skill players seem better than last season. Symons also can make some throws down the field that Kingsbury had trouble making.

In other words make him play your game and not play his.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 10-17-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If i recollect correctly, you only need to have 7 on the line of scrimmage. It doesn't say where they have to be.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

What a great game between Okey State and Texas Tech. That's a whole lot of scoring going on.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Holy crap. What a game. I'm just numb after seeing O-State almost lose this one.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
Holy crap. What a game. I'm just numb after seeing O-State almost lose this one.

What the hell was Myles thinking on that last drive Cam? You're too scared to pass the ball to Woods covered one on one on second down, but have the guts to call a fake punt? Is he smoking something? He's read the Gary Barnett guide to how not to call a fake punt one too many times.

Symons is the real deal. He's a better QB than Kingsbury ever thought of being.

TroyF
Old 10-18-2003, 09:41 PM   #10
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Symons is the real deal. He's a better QB than Kingsbury ever thought of being.

I agree. I also think that OSU has a legitimate chance to win the Big XII South. Les Myles has done an outstanding job building up the talent level. The game in Norman should be a dandy to watch.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:11 PM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I don't know what Miles (and Gundy) were thinking in not throwing to Woods on that second down. Every now and then they get in that conservative mindset of "run the ball up the middle" and they won't break out of it.

They tend to good things when they gamble (except for the Farden pass... but that's another story), so why wouldn't you throw it up to Rashaun on second down? Maybe they psyched themselves out thinking he'd be covered. I don't have an answer.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #12
Cuckoo
College Starter

As impressed as I've become by OSU's offense, I've become equally unimpressed with their defense. If they don't fix something pretty quick, they'll have a really tough time against OU. The past two years, it was their defense that shut down Hybl and Quentin Griffin and gave them a chance to peck away at OU's defense. Unless something changes dramatically, I don't see any way they can stop OU's offense this year which is much better with White at the helm than it ever was with Hybl.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:50 PM   #13
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I didn't see the second half because I went to the Frog game, but the first half they did blitz a few times and it looked like they aggravated Symons leg.

Quote:
If i recollect correctly, you only need to have 7 on the line of scrimmage. It doesn't say where they have to be.

By that I meant I am surprised Tech doesn't get themselves flagged because of their own mental errors, not the legality of their formations.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
I didn't see the second half because I went to the Frog game, but the first half they did blitz a few times and it looked like they aggravated Symons leg.

By that I meant I am surprised Tech doesn't get themselves flagged because of their own mental errors, not the legality of their formations.

Horned,

They mixed up their defenses in the first half. They did a masterful job of disguising when there would be a blitz and when 8 men would drop into coverage.

Part of what happened with the comeback is that they started getting vanilla. They played the same type of defense most of the third and fourth quarters. They called a couple of blitzes on the final series to seal the deal.

TroyF
Old 10-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

Over/under is 41.5 on the number of points that Tech scores on Texas.

Almost forgot, that's only because it's in Austin. In Lubbock I would put it at 55 or so.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 10-20-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote