Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Head scratching...

I'm still recovering from this...I'm a little stunned.

I work for a large corporation, I'm a supervisor, I work with union personel, I have a good rapport with my union personel.

I was called to do a job down in a building across plant site. Several cities blocks, so I'd need a van to get my equipment down there, the problem is that our van is undergoing repairs...

I live in PA and it's wet, snowy, salt laden streets, no way I'm pushing a cart down there at 5 at night and back.

One of the department supervisors allows us to use their van, it has a lift, they leave the key, the work has to get done tonight...so they can process sunday night.

I get the van, no problem, I talk with the department head, so he's aware that we are using the van, he okays it.

I drive the van back to my building gather my equipment, as I begin to pull out, we notice a guy on a bike zone in on us...
he rides up and demands to know why we have the van...

This guy is a union tech from the department...I explain nicely (I'm a quiet nice guy) that his supervisors lent us the van so we could gather our equipment and do a job in his department...and he gets very combative and rides off...

It gets better....

We drive down...my union worker is in his twilight years getting ready to retire...most of the lab helpers are older vets whom I get along with very well, many years experience...

We get there and this guy on the bike again starts yapping at us...it escalates...between my union guy and this guy (both union guys!!!) I pull my guy away to get the job done, but never have I been so stunned at the unprofessional manner even after I explained why we needed the van (I could understand if we took the van without permission, or if we took it do a job other than his department) but it wasn't his business, nor concern...I get a kick how possessive everyone becomes with company equipment even when it's for the good of the company they'll resist...

I have seen arguments between union and management, but never union and union over something so trival...but my union helper has my loyalty now...I just wonder and scratch my head at some people...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? I have had arguments with some coworkers before (at another company) but never profanity laced tirades that nearly get into fisticuffs...

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote