Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT: Carpal Tunnel ... ouch

Yes, I know the irony is delicious. With all the board abuzz about things like post counts arond here... your most prolific poster here comes down with a typing-related injury, an apparent case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, seizing up my left wrist.

For the last 3 days, my left wrist has been aching - a pretty deep throbbing, right in the center of the forearm/wrist. I'm not actually certain that it's actual CTS, but it certainly feels like hell. It doesn't get aggravated when I type or use the hand, but I have had it in a splint brace for the day, and am hoping for the best for now.

I don't know what to make of it being in my left hand... I am right-handed, and really do much less with my left than my right (mouse-clicking, etc is universally right-sided). So, it's hard to explain why I'd be crippled in my left, and just fine in my right.

Anyway... I have done a little net-poking, but haven't come up with much that isn't a shill site for some surgeon or a merchandiser. Does anyone have any thoughts on CTS, or know much about treatment options? After a few days of waiting for it to "just go away" (typical male first aid) I'm now thinking I need to do something about this.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
McSweeny
College Starter

posters rejoice! the champion is down! now the impossible dream is possible!

just playin QS

i do think that surgery is an option for CTS, but that's just me recalling an old Dillbert. I would have to assume there's an easier way to treat it.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

From what I've quickly gathered, the main treatment options seem to be (in escalating order) some lame-ass therapy/rest program, cortisone injection, and outpatient surgery. Swell.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Qs: I had carpal tunnel once. I simply stopped using that hand until in my case, numbness subsided. I would suggest looking at your keyboard mouse setup and determine if a more ergonomic setup is required.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My dad had CTS.

He had to wear a brace on his hand for a month or so basically.

It was more a pain of wearing the brace then anything else.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #6
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Check out this news article I found on Dr. Koop. I didn't really read it yet but from the title can see it recommends sugery. I don't know if it helps you.
http://www.drkoop.com/template.asp?p...p=93&id=509035
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:32 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

a college roomate of mine had it about a year ago. He was the ultimate computer fiend, and would easily spend 8 hours a do doing heavy typing/mousing, etc....

anyway, he had the brace thing going for a while, but eventually did have surgery.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quik,

My mother came down with severe CTS last year, and her doctor prescribed cortisone injections. She said they worked like magic and was pain free in a day or two. However, the CTS would return after a few months and she would need another cortisone shot.

Also, I don't know if this applies, but she was a heavy smoker for 40+ years and quit smoking entirely when my daughter was born. Since then, even though she still does the same activities (lots of typing, writing, and quilting) her CTS hasn't returned in the slightest.

Best of luck

Last edited by Toddzilla : 01-29-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

My math teacher has a small newspaper clip in his room that talks about how a man who got CTS from masturbating tried to sue the phone sex company that "gave it to him".
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:30 AM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

My wife had it in both hands and ended up having the surgery. It had gotten so bad, she would wake up at night with pain in her hands.

She started with the braces (basically they were hand bandages with metal bars in them). They just didn't work for her, so the only option was surgery. She had one hand done at a time. There was about 6 weeks of recovery on each hand.

If you don't take care of it, it can result in nerve damage. She had minor damage because she waited, but it wasn't permanent. The doctor said some people try to ignore it, but end up doing permanent damage. They can address the carpel tunnel, but they can't fix the permanent nerve damage.

As far as after the surgery, she no longer has pain in her hands or wrist. She has lost some strength in her hands. Also, the scars on her hands (which run along the crease between her thumb pad and rest of the palm down to the wrist) is sometimes sensitive. It was actually very sensitive early on, but even a few years later if she hits it just right it bothers her a little.

She was working at Georgetown University at the Lombardi Cancer Center at the time, so she knew some of the doctors in the area. She found out who was the best at dealing with CTS and that's who we went to see. I think it's pretty important to go to a top doctor, because there is a big difference in success rate with the surgery. Our doctor said the difference was how you treat the wrist after the surgery that really affects the recovery. If you don't get the proper care after surgery you can have scar tissue build up in the same area and they can't operate to fix that.

Good luck, hopefully resting the wrist and immobilizing it will take care of it for you.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:03 AM   #11
John Galt
Pro Starter

It is also important to get a couple opinions from doctors. Many times CTS is misdiagnosed since it has become a "vogue" condition. Some people end up having surgery when all they needed was a little relaxation and physical therapy to cure muscle spasms. My family doctor said CTS for one of my arms, but after stretching it out and 1 appointment at a PT, I was better. I haven't had any trouble since.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #12
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
My math teacher has a small newspaper clip in his room that talks about how a man who got CTS from masturbating tried to sue the phone sex company that "gave it to him".

You can get it from masturbating?

I guess I'm killing both my wrists while I'm on the computer.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:19 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
It is also important to get a couple opinions from doctors. Many times CTS is misdiagnosed since it has become a "vogue" condition. Some people end up having surgery when all they needed was a little relaxation and physical therapy to cure muscle spasms. My family doctor said CTS for one of my arms, but after stretching it out and 1 appointment at a PT, I was better. I haven't had any trouble since.

Yep. Definitely get a couple opinions and try a few things before electing to go with the surgery. Sometimes other things work and you can avoid the surgery.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:39 AM   #14
Kevin
High School JV

QS:

Don't write off the rest thing as lame ass just yet. I sometimes feel the onset after heavy usage periods on the PC. If you can force yourself to avoid the PC for an entire weekend, it will often go away. (maybe Ryan can see if voice recognition works on the new board LOL) Anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can help reduce the swelling in the nerves.

Your point about it being your left hand may indicate that it isn't CTS in the first place. Try the rest thing first as it is the cheapest therapy.

Chiropractors are also good at dealing with these sort of injuries if your pain persists.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

many thanks...

Many thanks indeed for the thoughts and suggestions.

My biggest trouble right now is that my busy season is in full swing, and I probably won't have a day off until April. (Not a weekday off, but a day off) So, my prospects of getting into therapy in any easy way are probably pretty slim, not to mention getting through an extended period of "relaxing" or "recovering." My worst possible timing, of course.

I'll find out what a good doc or two can offer... thanks again.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:40 AM   #16
Kevin
High School JV

I see your dilemma. In that case the only solution is copious quantities of your favorite ale. ;-)

Here's to your health!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:19 PM   #17
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Wow, QS making 9.19 ppd and is by far the leader in the category. Sorry guys I am stat junkie!!

Anyway, QS I feel your pain bro. I think I have it my my right wrist and I happen to be right handed, which makes it frustrating at times. When I get on the cpu I have to switch to my left hand cuz my right one starts tingling and burning and sometimes I just have to stay away from the cpu for a couple of days which is hard to do when you are a freelance writer.

I have been to my local medical clinic here twice and they gave me a brace to wear when I am typing and most of all to wear it at night when I sleep. Of course I have not done this consistently like the doctors have asked me to do. The doctors told me that if I comeback a third time they are going to recommend a therapist.

Also I take Ibuprofen and that seems to help as well but sometimes I get tired of taking all that medicine all the time.

Anyway I try to rest it quite a bit lately as I am trying to avoid surgery. I may try the coritzone shot thing and see if that helps me out.

Hope you can find some healing and relief very soon QS and good luck bro!!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

just wait until a FOF record book appears with all these new swank stats.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:13 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
You can get it from masturbating?

The key is to alternate hands, unless you're like me, and need both at once.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds
my right one starts tingling and burning

That's just asking to be misquoted into the quote of the moment right there.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote