Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

I love the way the world works

Folks who are working on 5-7 year old laptops can't get new ones, but managers and above can all get $800 worth of video conference hardware that they'll use maybe twice a month.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

5-7 year old laptops? What do those run, Windows 95? Do you have 256MB of RAM?

Good god...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The video conference hardware saves on travel and thus pays for itself quickly.

Showing how much time a new laptop would save and thus its money is a harder proposition. It's why I love working on code: I can show exactly how much my build times would go down with new hardware...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

And the fact that 800 wouldn't really even buy you one business laptop, let alone however many spleen is saying are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
5-7 year old laptops? What do those run, Windows 95? Do you have 256MB of RAM?

Good god...

This is also vastly based on what one needs to use a PC for. Even now, netbooks are way more than people need, but yet those and more powerful machines are being bought all of the time. I'm pretty sure we run Windows 95/98 at best on most of the PCs at work. Only the one in the printing services department is really on the newer side and even that is running software that's somewhat dated.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The video conference hardware saves on travel and thus pays for itself quickly.

Showing how much time a new laptop would save and thus its money is a harder proposition. It's why I love working on code: I can show exactly how much my build times would go down with new hardware...

Everyone else gets by with just conference calls. Why do they need to have viedo conferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And the fact that 800 wouldn't really even buy you one business laptop, let alone however many spleen is saying are needed.

On my team alone, there are 4 people who lose 20% productivity just because they have to work on shitty equipment.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Everyone else gets by with just conference calls. Why do they need to have viedo conferences.

With a video conference, I can tell if the person on the other end is flipping me the bird while we are talking--can't do that with conference call.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Drake
assmaster

I usually skip every other PC upgrade cycle in our office (because of the annoyance of migrating my customizations to a new box), so I've had the machine I've got for coming up on 3 years now.

For 95% of my office, the horsepower I've got would still be plenty of machine, but after 3 years, it barely does what I need, and I'm enormously anal about keeping my machines in top form.

All I can say is that I'm glad I've got a boss who makes top of the line hardware a budget priority. The new Thinkpad they're building for me (right now, in fact) absolutely smokes my ancient Optiplex GX270, and I look forward to being able to do my job without having to shut down Dreamweaver and Photoshop every couple of hours to preserve memory.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I'd debate that - I bought a laptop for my home use a few months back for under $800* which is easily good enough for me to use for development purposes at a push (say if this laptop went down for some reason).

*Reasonable but not top of the line processor and 4Gb of RAM, thats enough for most peoples purposes I'd expect.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Maybe if you spent less time bitching at FOFC you might be in line for new video conferencing equipment.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
With a video conference, I can tell if the person on the other end is flipping me the bird while we are talking--can't do that with conference call.

This.

You can tell if the person is paying attention, reading their blackberry, engaged in the conversation, etc. Better than a conference call, fo sho.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm pretty sure we run Windows 95/98 at best on most of the PCs at work. Only the one in the printing services department is really on the newer side and even that is running software that's somewhat dated.

Damn timestamp bug! This post from 7 years ago just got posted.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
On my team alone, there are 4 people who lose 20% productivity just because they have to work on shitty equipment.

The key is to be able to prove it to management. What you really need here is the "this will increase productivity 20% for each of us, so if you buy four new computers you can fire one of the other 4 guys" cost-benefit study