Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Painting before selling a house...

My wife and I are debating this back and forth and I'm curious what others think. We both agree we need to paint the ceilings to our house before selling. The walls are a different sory. We painted five years ago and it still looks fine. My contention is that it's not a big deal to repaint the walls because somebody will want to paint them what they want. She believes we need to repaint, probably in a neutral color, to better sell the house.

Thoughts?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

What color are the walls now? If they are a "normal" color, I would say that they are fine.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
gkb
High School Varsity

We sold our house about three years ago and our real estate agent recommended that we repaint a couple of our rooms that were a darker color. They were "normal" neutral colors. So if they're normal and not too dark, you should be fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

In a tough market for sellers, you should do everything you can to help. Repaint to neutral colors.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

They're not neutral. A very light blue.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
rowech
Pro Starter

I can't bear to tell her she's right.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What does your realtor think?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I thought that was pretty much neutral? If they were Navy blue you obviously paint.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

What kind of light blue? If you stand back and try to be as objective as possible (maybe get a friend or family member to do it)...could somebody think "Ugh...looks like the sky took a crap in here"? If in doubt..."taupe" it out.

Agree with others on the point of doing whatever you can "cheaply" to make your house as desirable to as many people as possible...especially in this market. Maybe the better way to look at it is to make it the "least offensive" as possible. So pick up and store as much as possible that you dont ABSOLUTELY NEED to function. I've found that while most buyers would tell you they aren't worried about repainting or the clutter in a home...it tends to have a degree of influence in their "feeling" about a property...and potentially overlook the home...all else being equal.

Or at least this has been my experience in selling 3 homes of my own, and helping a few friends sell their own, over the years.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

It's definitely not a sky took a crap in here. The realtor said it's sellable in its current color but that he would recommend painting it.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you trust your realtor I'd paint it. If you don't trust your realtor I'd get a new one.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you trust your realtor I'd paint it. If you don't trust your realtor I'd get a new one.

+1

Repaint to neutral colors, like an off-white or vanilla color. Even a light beige might work.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Funny, we're debating the same thing...we've been in the house for 8 years now and have only painted my girls' rooms while the rest of the house is still the original taupe colour. We're at a crossroads right now with that...and what to do about the flooring...the lino is starting to come up at a few seams.

I'm leaning towards painting and replacing the flooring on the main floor (some lino and some carpet and will probably put down laminate of some kind) and I'm sure when we do get a realtor inbovled, they will say the same thing.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In a tough market for sellers, you should do everything you can to help. Repaint to neutral colors.
Neutral colors aren't always the best solution - sometimes more bold colors enhance a room. Sometimes neutral colors are just bland, and more bold colors show off a room effectively.

But (you knew there was a "but" coming), I agree 100% with JPhillips - if your Realtor thinks you should repaint and you trust your Realtor, repaint. If you don't trust your Realtor, get a new one you do trust.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Funny, we're debating the same thing...we've been in the house for 8 years now and have only painted my girls' rooms while the rest of the house is still the original taupe colour. We're at a crossroads right now with that...and what to do about the flooring...the lino is starting to come up at a few seams.

I'm leaning towards painting and replacing the flooring on the main floor (some lino and some carpet and will probably put down laminate of some kind) and I'm sure when we do get a realtor inbovled, they will say the same thing.

We have some other things to do besides paint, including, unfortunately, putting in a new shower and new walls for our bathroom. It amazes me that I'm going to end up spending 5000-6000 dollars just to get my house in shape to sell it. I of course being naive with these things said, I'd just take the 5000 dollar loss and was immediately told that not doing the work would probably cost me 10-15k in today's market.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It amazes me that I'm going to end up spending 5000-6000 dollars just to get my house in shape to sell it.

Count your blessings. If I could get out of the things that are needed on the house in Monticello to truly get it ready for open market sale for $5k I'd be turning f'n cartwheels. (Hell, I'd be doing acrobatics if I could get it ready for twice that amount).
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've always found I spend more money doing up a house to sell it then I do when I'm living there ... its weird but its always the case, especially in the current market.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Unless you're absolutely certain of a positive ROI (or enjoy spending yourweekends painting), don't bother.

I'd have to say it's pretty hard not to recoup the costs & then some on the deal. My mother-in-law closes on a house here tomorrow and was willing to eat up to an additional $5k (or more if necessary) in sales price on around $2k worth of work just to avoid the massive headaches of finding workers, getting quotes, and most of all living through the process of having the work done.

I'd have to think the rate of ROI would be affected by the target for the sale but I've never lost anything on work done before a sale and off hand can't think of anyone who has.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unless the realtor can prove that it will raise the house value 10-15K (which they can't), I woudn't do it. Realtor$ are more skeevy than lawyer$ and would love the opportunity for you to put in tons of your own hard work and money to raise the value of the property. What do they care if their estimate if off and it really only increases the value of the property by $5000? Unless you're absolutely certain of a positive ROI (or enjoy spending yourweekends painting), don't bother.
Well, considering this is a buyer's market, I'd personally do what I could to make the house more attractive. I get the point you are trying to make about realtors, but also consider that realtors rely on repeat business & referrals, so if they are full of shit they are less likely to succeed.

From everything I've seen and read, the work you put into sprucing up a house almost always more than recoups itself in sales price, often by a factor of 2 to 3 times.

Think about when you're looking at houses - the ones that look nice and new (or newly remodeled) and well designed really stick out.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
My wife and I are debating this back and forth and I'm curious what others think.

Thoughts?

She's right. Duh.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

Re-paint. Walls always look fine to the owners because they live there and have adjusted to the color. New paint makes any room look awesome.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, she's right, you need to paint the walls.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #23
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just a couple of amateur selling tips from someone who is looking to buy right now:

1. Get the landscaping looking nice. I am not saying that you need to build a wall or anything, but I am shocked by some of the lawns I see from people trying to sell.

2. Get some color fliers, put them with your for sale sign. Don't forget to restock them when they run out. Put your asking price on the flier. My wife and I walk around the neighborhood, and we look for those fliers. No flier, we aren't interested.

3. Make sure your Realtor puts up a bunch of nice looking images on their company website for your house. I am shocked to see how many houses for sale have no images, or just one outside shot. An image of the front and back yards, one of every bedroom, the bathrooms, kitchen, living room, and basement (if you have one) are nice. If the house doesn't sell for a while, update the outside images to be season specific. When I am looking at houses online right now, I am suspicious of houses that have snow in the image.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife watches a ton of those "Designed To Sell" shows (and consequently, so do I), and they always emphasize painting and getting rid of clutter. I know from personal experience, we did that stuff for our last house, and it sold rather quickly. Of course, that was just before the bubble burst in the housing market.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My wife watches a ton of those "Designed To Sell" shows (and consequently, so do I), and they always emphasize painting and getting rid of clutter. I know from personal experience, we did that stuff for our last house, and it sold rather quickly. Of course, that was just before the bubble burst in the housing market.

The housing bubble burst on your planet too?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. And then the whole planet blew up.

Actually, that may have been Superman's planet.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
unless you did, you're just guessing that the endeavor reaps a positive ROI.

As a matter of fact, I know of at least three houses that were generating zero interest prior to cosmetic work that all sold within a couple of weeks of completion of that work. But I'm fairly sure you'll just attribute those cases to coincidence so I doubt it really matters.

To be frank, you sound like a great deal like someone who knows virtually nothing about real estate and in particular absolutely nothing about the psychology of buyers. You're sure as hell free to believe whatever you like but you can shove your tone squarely up your ass.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As a matter of fact, I know of at least three houses that were generating zero interest prior to cosmetic work that all sold within a couple of weeks of completion of that work. But I'm fairly sure you'll just attribute those cases to coincidence so I doubt it really matters.

To be frank, you sound like a great deal like someone who knows virtually nothing about real estate and in particular absolutely nothing about the psychology of buyers. You're sure as hell free to believe whatever you like but you can shove your tone squarely up your ass.

I hate to admit this but I have to say I LIKE this post.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I hate to admit this but I have to say I LIKE this post.
JiMG has been on a roll lately.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #30
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

3. Make sure your Realtor puts up a bunch of nice looking images on their company website for your house. I am shocked to see how many houses for sale have no images, or just one outside shot. An image of the front and back yards, one of every bedroom, the bathrooms, kitchen, living room, and basement (if you have one) are nice. If the house doesn't sell for a while, update the outside images to be season specific. When I am looking at houses online right now, I am suspicious of houses that have snow in the image.

+5,345

How are there houses in 2009 that have real estate listings without an electronic gallery showing at least a passable image of every room in the house, the front yard, and the back yard?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
+5,345

How are there houses in 2009 that have real estate listings without an electronic gallery showing at least a passable image of every room in the house, the front yard, and the back yard?

Having gone through two purchases in the past three years or so (ours & now my mother-in-law's) it's quite common to still see one picture listings. Maybe one house out of ten has more than five pictures & rarely have I seen one that showed the back yard unless there was a significant feature that added five figures in value (i.e. pool, barn/stable, tennis court, lakefront, etc). And the only front yard pictures I ever really see are those that are actually front of house shots & the front yard is pretty much incidental.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Having gone through two purchases in the past three years or so (ours & now my mother-in-law's) it's quite common to still see one picture listings. Maybe one house out of ten has more than five pictures & rarely have I seen one that showed the back yard unless there was a significant feature that added five figures in value (i.e. pool, barn/stable, tennis court, lakefront, etc). And the only front yard pictures I ever really see are those that are actually front of house shots & the front yard is pretty much incidental.

1) By front yard I mean the.. what's it called.. elevation? The front of the house.
2) I certainly know they're out there, but they shouldn't be. There should be a picture of every room.
3) Back yard is much more important here in the city, I think. In the suburbs a backyard is mostly a backyard. In the city it determines if you have a parking space, enough room for entertaining, etc.
4) Again, here in the city the 0-1 picture properties are definitely in the minority, but I would say 30% of listings are still that way. As easy as it is to take digital pictures and include them in the MLS, I don't really get it

Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

dola: if there are no pictures online, I'm not looking at it. I guarantee properties lose buyers by not putting pictures online.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #34
molson
General Manager

It's so odd to me that people are willing to pay thousands more for a mowed lawn, painted wall, or other cosmetics. Doesn't it make far more sense to look for places that don't have those things, so that you might be the beneficiary of that "discount"?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Doesn't it make far more sense to look for places that don't have those things, so that you might be the beneficiary of that "discount"?

Depends upon the relationship between the cost & your tolerance for the aggravation of dealing with them.

Take our adventure in painting on the house we're in now. Rejects from the Venezuelan National Football Club spent over a month trying to get two rooms worth of painting right, somehow fouling up the process so much that a paint manufacturer factory rep came to Athens from Illinois and said he had no idea what they could have possibly done to the paint in order to get the result they were getting (basically a fairly deep purple was drying with the look of splotchy grape juice). Nine coats of paint and two more paint crews later, we finally reached the point of giving up/that'll have to do.

And overall our "absolutely gone by August 1" contractor and his minions finally left the premises on Halloween weekend and only then because we finally said "just go away already". And that's without even mentioning the cost overruns.

I put going through renovation/remodeling/repair somewhere on my list of things to do again somewhere below driving the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile in Iraq blindfolded after dark.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's so odd to me that people are willing to pay thousands more for a mowed lawn, painted wall, or other cosmetics. Doesn't it make far more sense to look for places that don't have those things, so that you might be the beneficiary of that "discount"?

That's the view I take too. However, having sold/bought two houses in the last few years I've come to the conclusion you can't overestimate the irrationality of potential buyers. They may be looking to spend $100/200 thousand dollars on a house but if they see something that will need a $100 to fix they won't buy.

The mechanism whereby Jon's 5k on improvement means 15k on sale value is something like this:

Don't improve and:

1) the house simply won't sell and you'll be dropping the price 15/20k to find a buyer

2) a savvy buyer will use it as an opportunity to knock down the price on the basis of what he (opportunistically and with some considerable exaggeration) insists it will cost to fix.

So, if there's even a hint that the colour will not be appreciated, paint it.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 07-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #37
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
1) the house simply won't sell and you'll be dropping the price 15/20k to find a buyer.

This has been my own experience...and the consensus of the realtors I've known (at least the good ones anyway).

This doesn't mean you should go off and do major renovations or anything when you decide to sell...just the cheap/manual labor stuff and removal of extra miscellaneous crap (if you are inclined to be pack-rattish...which tends to be most people to differring degrees).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The majority of Americans just aren't going to do the work on their own. That means they have to deal with contractors, as Jon said. They are also largely too stupid to tell the difference between a bad paint job and a house that is in poor condition. You have to deal with the lowest common denominator.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please try to avoid the personal attacks. I come here to the FOFC community to escape the shit of life and don't appreciate getting attacked for posting my opinion.

And I didn't care for know it all tone of your post one damned bit, and that's putting it extremely mildly so I guess we're close to even. What I typed here is what I would have said to your face if you had said the same thing in person, so if you've got a problem with it then that's exactly what it is: your problem.

edit to add: If you don't want replies that get you called out, then check yourself and your tone before you post.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-21-2009 at 10:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #40
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i guess you were assuming some kind of tone in my post. i'm just curious about the general line of reasoning that home repairs are always resulting in positive ROI. Just the same way we question clutch, and other things flaoting in the ethers.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 01-04-2017 at 03:48 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #41
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
i guess you were assuming some kind of tone in my post. i'm just curious about the general line of reasoning that home repairs are always resulting in positive ROI. Just the same way we question clutch, and other things flaoting in the ethers.
FWIW, I read it as being rather condescending as well, and I didn't blame JIMGa for being torqued. Maybe you didn't intend for there to be attitude in your post, but it came across that way to me.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's the view I take too. However, having sold/bought two houses in the last few years I've come to the conclusion you can't overestimate the irrationality of potential buyers. They may be looking to spend $100/200 thousand dollars on a house but if they see something that will need a $100 to fix they won't buy.

The mechanism whereby Jon's 5k on improvement means 15k on sale value is something like this:

Don't improve and:

1) the house simply won't sell and you'll be dropping the price 15/20k to find a buyer

2) a savvy buyer will use it as an opportunity to knock down the price on the basis of what he (opportunistically and with some considerable exaggeration) insists it will cost to fix.

So, if there's even a hint that the colour will not be appreciated, paint it.

ok since i am an actual house painter and my family business has decades of experience in this i should give my 2c. Mac is 100% right in his above post. that will happen guaranteed. a new paint job will make a house sell faster and at what you originally priced at than if you dont paint, and dont forget the woodwork. freshly painted woodwork makes a house look amazing with new painted walls. i cant tell you how many times weve painted a house for someone about to move, and they then say they wish they wernt moving because it looked so good. now before you say im just mimicing the realators because i work for them youd be wrong, i HATE working with realators and generally tell them im too busy to get to them if they call up.

ohh and heres something that hasnt been mentioned here, husbands dont buy houses, wives do. the Wives like everything looking pretty which is why spending a little to spruce up a house pays for itself. and why rotten wood and scuffed up walls turn them off because that looks like hard work or $$ to fix
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
husbands dont buy houses, wives do.

+10,000
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #44
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can't bear to tell her she's right.

If you think that's bad...

Quote:
Don't improve and:

...wait until that happens and then try to deal with her.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #45
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
I come here to the FOFC community to escape the shit of life

Read below

Last edited by Mac Howard : 07-22-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote