Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Attn Michiganders : Anyone bought new windows recently?

The windows in our home are original to the home which was built 40 years ago so with the $1500 tax credit we're thinking about getting the windows replaced. Has anyone done this and which company did you go with? I've gotten one quote so far from who I've been told is the most reputable around here and I've also been told horror stories of another large company so if you've had a good or bad experience with a company can you let me know who you went with? Thanks

Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

We got new windows a couple of years ago. We went with Andersen Windows. They are definitely more expensive than some other options, but the windows are fantastic. Great quality and very sound installation. They installed some 24 windows or so in one day. When I left for work there were multiple trucks and about a dozen guys starting on the job. By the time I came home from work you couldn't even tell work had been done.

My brother and a friend used Wallside. They are the big local chain. They both have said that, even after a few years, they are having issues with the quality of the windows. Most of it due to poor installation, gaps forming, window frames coming away from the structure, etc. They are, of course, a much cheaper option than Andersen, but it sounds like you get what you pay for.

I hope that helps!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

Royal Oak huh, I lived in Ferndale for a couple of years than moved north to Chesterfield Twsp. If you love to party Royal Oak is the place but it does attract some of the freaks and weirdos from time to time :0

What part of Mich does Gary live??

Sorry I cant help with the windows but am told Anderson is tops, dont skimp with contractors you always get what you pay for.
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Well we were considering going with Wallside - unfortunately even their price to do the entire house is quite expensive. I can't even imagine what Andersen costs - I've heard they are the best windows but I don't know if I want to sink that kind of money into it.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah, I hear that. Windows are expensive. Don't get me wrong, Wallside is pretty good. There were complaints, but I think, on the whole, they were pretty minor.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

k - I liked the fact that they were local, build the windows themselves and even got the glass from a local place so that it would be completely a Michigan job - our economy needs whatever it can get.

If it weren't for the tax credit (and the $400+ per month gas bills this past winter) I probably wouldn't even get it done but I figure they've got a half off sale now, plus the tax credit, plus I hope some good savings on the heating and cooling bills so hopefully the cost will be made up for sooner rather than later.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

I worked Inside Sales for Grand Rapids Sash and Door like 10 years ago, but I don't remember anything about that stuff anymore.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just a couple of things.... I used to work at Home Depot, and we sold Andersen Windows. They really are top notch. I don't know about their installs, but I know that their product and customer service are second to none.

As far as Wallside, I have heard good and bad. They are just about always running some kind of sale, so don't be in too much of a rush to purchase just to get this current deal.

Another company is Majic, they make fiberglass windows. I would stay away from them. I used to hear complaints about them all the time.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 06-28-2009 at 02:45 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
Voo
Mascot

I realize even in my drunken state that this is pretty far from being on topic, but I work down the street from a glass warehouse where the owner was murdered just a couple months ago. Don't go to precision warehouse, you will die.
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Curious what you went with and how you like them?

We are considering new windows as well.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Actually I didn't have to buy my Windows, at least for now, because Microsoft has a Release Candidate version out for free till like March...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Actually I didn't have to buy my Windows, at least for now, because Microsoft has a Release Candidate version out for free till like March...

*groan*

My friend just got a quote for new windows for her house (in DC, not in Michigan). She was quoted about 11k for her house (3 small bedrooms, 1 main living room, 1 kitchen/eating area).

But like you, she's counting on savings on heating (and cooling). Good luck!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

When we moved into our house we had 16 windows replaced with the drop in variety. It was about $8000 total.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Curious what you went with and how you like them?

We are considering new windows as well.

We ordered from Pella - they seemed to have the best combination of quality, price and I didn't get the "used car salesman" tactics from their sales rep. As for how we like them...I will let you know in 8-10 weeks when they're installed. Apparently the economy isn't hurting them.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
We ordered from Pella - they seemed to have the best combination of quality, price and I didn't get the "used car salesman" tactics from their sales rep. As for how we like them...I will let you know in 8-10 weeks when they're installed. Apparently the economy isn't hurting them.

Sound choice. We got a backdoor installed from them and it worked out well. We were going to get windows, but we showed up to their showroom twice and stood around for almost a half hour with no there to talk to (the one guy in the shop was occupied with another customer the entire time).
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Sound choice. We got a backdoor installed from them and it worked out well. We were going to get windows, but we showed up to their showroom twice and stood around for almost a half hour with no there to talk to (the one guy in the shop was occupied with another customer the entire time).

We have a back french door coming from Pella that should be here soon and hopefully installed soon after.

Yeah, their showrooms seem to have issues, and I can't get anyone to call me back on the scheduling (have not called the salesman yet on that). I signed up online for an appointment to get someone to come out and talk to me.