Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ping: Small Business Owners (1099 Misc)

Stealth IRS campaign mandates millions of new 1099 tax forms - May. 21, 2010

The main piece -

tarting in 2012, that changes. All business payments or purchases that exceed $600 in a calendar year will need to be accompanied by a 1099 filing. That means obtaining the taxpayer ID number of the individual or corporation you're making the payment to -- even if it's a giant retailer like Staples or Best Buy -- at the time of the transaction, or else facing IRS penalties.

As a small business owner, I can't even wrap my head around this. For 2009, this would have resulted in me issuing around 35 1099's. Walmart, Office Max, USPS, U-line plus a host of private individuals (which I have no idea how in the world someone is just going to hand over their SSN to me so I can issue them a 1099)

On a basic level, I see what they are doing, but the pure admin headache this will cause... good lord.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Stealth IRS campaign mandates millions of new 1099 tax forms - May. 21, 2010

The main piece -

tarting in 2012, that changes. All business payments or purchases that exceed $600 in a calendar year will need to be accompanied by a 1099 filing. That means obtaining the taxpayer ID number of the individual or corporation you're making the payment to -- even if it's a giant retailer like Staples or Best Buy -- at the time of the transaction, or else facing IRS penalties.

As a small business owner, I can't even wrap my head around this. For 2009, this would have resulted in me issuing around 35 1099's. Walmart, Office Max, USPS, U-line plus a host of private individuals (which I have no idea how in the world someone is just going to hand over their SSN to me so I can issue them a 1099)

On a basic level, I see what they are doing, but the pure admin headache this will cause... good lord.

Well, time to talk to the accountant, this will be a headache for my online biz...Yahoo, MSN, Google, 7 search, The company I work for, my suppliers wow...some of my contract artists I have hired and even some of my friends I have paid for marketing.....not looking like it's going to be fun.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I saw this earlier this morning and said "shit...this is gonna be some serious fucking work for me."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, everyone wants tax cheats to be caught. Unfortunately, more work is probably how to do it. (This does kindof sound dumb, tho)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-24-2010 at 07:25 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, everyone wants tax cheats to be caught. Unfortunately, more work is probably how to do it. (This does kindof sound dumb, tho)

SI

They will get swamped with paperwork, that is for sure.

Definitely not sure how a resale business would do this. I imagine that Gamestop has a few people where they easily buy back over $600 in games in a calendar year. So, they just issue 1099s to customers??
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Someone told me about this and I was hoping they were misreading it. This will cost me a ton of extra work.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

wouldn't there be a market here for a third party company to act as a purchasing agent. Like maybe you pay them a couple points and only have to deal with one 1099
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Paypal and services like that will begin issuing 1099's in 2011 as well. So all of you who sell on Ebay...watch out.

hxxp://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/03/irs-to-start.html

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 05-24-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: edit to add linky poo
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Dola - this new regulation is totally and completely pointless and will do nothing to catch those big time tax cheats.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn View Post
Paypal and services like that will begin issuing 1099's in 2011 as well. So all of you who sell on Ebay...watch out.

hxxp://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/03/irs-to-start.html

I knew about the 1099Ks back in 2008. Limited to 200 individual payments AND $20K in transactions Much smaller scale and I welcomed that change since some of my competitors are not paying taxes and I know they take in more than $20K per year. Bastards.

Last edited by Mustang : 05-24-2010 at 10:38 PM.