Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Successful Beach Businesses

It looks like I'm heading down the stretch on the current project I'm working on. I've been an independent SAP Consultant for 14+ years now (having worked the prior eleven years in "Corporate America"), and have been extremely fortunate to have spent the last 13 locally (coinciding with the birth of my first son). The thought of finding another project seems a bit nervewracking in this environment (I've been on my current one for over 8 years). Even worse is the thought my next project may require travel during the week and me only home on the weekends. That is certainly not desirable for me or my family. So... I've been mulling over the idea of getting out of the computer industry and opening a business down at the Jersey Shore. I know... opening up a new business in this economy is probably not the best idea either, but I'm seriously ready for a change.

The question is, what type of store do I want to own/run? I don't have experience enough in the food industry to look at one of the restaurants/snack stands. T-Shirt shops are a dime a dozen. One of my actual dream businesses would be to own an arcade. But there are 3 or 4 already established ones, and I'm not so sure opening up a 5th one would make much sense.

I've begun my research into the percentage of each type store in a couple of shore locations. So I thought it would be interesting to ask you what type of stores/shops do you and/or your family like to frequent when you are at the beach?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Beach Tennis promoter?

The Jersey Shore experience is very different than other parts of the country, because it's so vast, the towns are distinct and it seems to go on forever. It's not reflected anywhere else in the country like that.

Maybe you can buy an existing business? Perhaps check with someone during the off-season and do some research and see if one of those arcades down there are selling. Maybe not one of the huge ones, but a smaller one. Seems like acquiring an existing business -- especially in this economy -- might be better than trying to start from scratch.

From what I remember, many of those places are owned by older people anyway who've been running them forever as basically a family business. Maybe you can get one and help it modernize, etc., while keeping the core essentials the same.

One of those indoor arcade deals that's opened year-round might give you more bang for your buck if there are a legion of regulars who come down to play. But I'm sure talking to people you can get a better sense of whether it's worth it.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

there's always money in the banana stand.
SlgNiLCQtnggote59IhSMVO4o1_400.jpg
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't have much input as far as Beach businesses go unfortunately, but your message is a little mixed to me on your main motivation for the change.

You mention the long hours of IT work and the time away from your family, but you also mention just wanting a change. I've been in IT myself for 16 years now so can appreciate the desire at times for change. I'm concerned though if your main motivation is the hours and time away from your family then I am not sure opening a new business will help with that. It is my understanding that most small business owners, especially when they first start end up having to put in crazy hours just to save money on the bottom line from having to hire others. So I am unsure exactly how much time you might be saving from this new career path..

Just my thoughts is all, if your main motivation is to do something different, then that is cool. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide though!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Combination gym-tanning salon-laundromat.

I think you'll do well.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As someone that was looking at opening a brick and mortar business, I agree with Alan. (I put in 35-40 in my 'side' business). Opening your own business so you can spend more time with your family doesn't add up especially with a beach specific business where you will absolutely need to be working during the summer months when your kids will be out of school.

As for the beach, can't help you there. Wisconsin doesn't offer much in the way of beaches.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm concerned though if your main motivation is the hours and time away from your family then I am not sure opening a new business will help with that. It is my understanding that most small business owners, especially when they first start end up having to put in crazy hours just to save money on the bottom line from having to hire others. So I am unsure exactly how much time you might be saving from this new career path..

I appreciate that feedback. And you are right, my expectation is fully to work the crazy hours to start with. If we decided to go this route, one very real option for us would be to move down to the shore and live there year round. So there would be some potential benefits to that. I would still see my family every day. Depending on the business and it's success - some stores open up for May - September peak season. I could then do part-time work the rest of the year. When kids get a little older, they could work for me. But to be clear, my main motivation is to get out of the cubicle farm, out from behind a desk, and do something different.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

Fake tattoos, cotton candy, metal detection services for people who lost something in the sand, sundries, surfboard/boogie board rentals, fun photos, sand castle building equipment, hair gel (it is Jersey after all), fake gold jewelry, that's all I got for now.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tar ball cleanup.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Fake tattoos, cotton candy, metal detection services for people who lost something in the sand, sundries, surfboard/boogie board rentals, fun photos, sand castle building equipment, hair gel (it is Jersey after all), fake gold jewelry, that's all I got for now.

Fake this, fake that. You, sir, are watching too much of that dreadful show Jersey Shore!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Tyke,

I lived in Wildwood and will be moving back on Friday for good. Where are you located?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Beach rentals? Bikes, boogie boards, umbrellas etc.?

Or are you looking for something less seasonal?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Fake this, fake that. You, sir, are watching too much of that dreadful show Jersey Shore!

Actually, I have never seen the show. Seen some commercials for it, but, that's it. Have I been to Jersey? Oh yes, yes I have...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Tar ball cleanup.

That's more Louisiana shore at the moment

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ask Lathum - he was the king of the Jersey Shore.

Or Saldana. She was his Queen.

**not really, i just wanted to make a Saldana joke since it was a jersey thread**

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-19-2010 at 01:47 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Tyke,

I lived in Wildwood and will be moving back on Friday for good. Where are you located?

Ocean City is my first choice. Wildwood would be 2nd.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Tar ball cleanup.

No worries. BP will have that well under control before they start rolling up the Atlantic Coast...
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Ice cream shop with English Mr Softie Ice Creams please, they're fantastic and incredibly cheap to produce so you'd make a fortune (its kinda 'whipped' ice cream making it light and fluffy and look huge) ..... heck I'll commute down to where you are to get some if you open one
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Ice cream shop with English Mr Softie Ice Creams please, they're fantastic and incredibly cheap to produce so you'd make a fortune (its kinda 'whipped' ice cream making it light and fluffy and look huge) ..... heck I'll commute down to where you are to get some if you open one

You mean up... right?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Maybe do a different twist on the arcade idea. Maybe steal an idea from Dave and Busters and make an arcade that goes age 21 and over after a certain time. My thought would be that during the day it could be an arcade for everyone and after dusk it turns into an arcade/bar and maybe even a dance club for the early 20's crowd. Not sure how hard it would be to get that liquor license though.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
johneh
Mascot

14+ years of working with SAP... wow I would be ready for a change to.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
Galaxy
Coordinator

How about a Mr. Brewman's store?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote