Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #51
wade moore
lolzcat

My initial reaction is I don't like it.

One of my bigger concerns is that people will be voting for the "all-star" rather than the contestant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #52
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I wonder if each dancer is paired with the same All-Star throughout the show or if they switch every week
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #53
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I wonder if each dancer is paired with the same All-Star throughout the show or if they switch every week

from what I understood, they will switch each week. The thing I didn't understand at first is how they said that dancers would not "pick their style" anymore. They never picked their style, simply drew them out of the hat. Now, I understand that they will draw a name from the hat, which name will determine what style they will dance in that week. More in that article

There's going to be a pool of all-stars and that pool will be bigger in number than 10.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #54
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

In that article I saw somebody comment that they hope Mark Kanemura comes back. He was one of the first that came to mind for me and I hope he returns.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I assume that each dancer has a style or two he/she is associated with, and if you are paired with that dancer, you'll do that style of dance. So the dances are determined by who you switch to - which is pretty much the same as pulling something out of a hat, isn't it?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
My initial reaction is I don't like it.

One of my bigger concerns is that people will be voting for the "all-star" rather than the contestant.

That is my main concern as well, but if they switch each week, that should alleviate that some. I do like that will be getting away from one popular partner carrying someone into the top 10.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #57
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is my main concern as well, but if they switch each week, that should alleviate that some. I do like that will be getting away from one popular partner carrying someone into the top 10.

Well, this is only for the top 10. So, something different is still happening for before the top 10 it sounds like - unless we go from Vegas to top 10.. which, well.. would be disappointing...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #58
Ksyrup

If they are only kicking off 1 instead of 2 each week, then that would explain the 20-to-10 reduction. I don't have a problem with that - on any of these shows, I forget 90% of the contestants anyway, so focusing more on a smaller group is better.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If they are only kicking off 1 instead of 2 each week, then that would explain the 20-to-10 reduction. I don't have a problem with that - on any of these shows, I forget 90% of the contestants anyway, so focusing more on a smaller group is better.

But unlike Idol, I think generally someone that wouldn't make the top 10 in this format, makes the top 10 because they improve.

With no top 20 you don't get a Dominique, a Legacy, a Pasha...

Quote:
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #60
Flasch186
Coordinator

booooo

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #61
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
But unlike Idol, I think generally someone that wouldn't make the top 10 in this format, makes the top 10 because they improve.

With no top 20 you don't get a Dominique, a Legacy, a Pasha...

Well... I don't remember who any of those people are!

I just watch these shows for the instant entertainment and don't remember anything about them once they end. I don't care about dance, and I'd never listen to AI contestants outside of the show, so who they are and what they do is strictly confined to their time on those shows. Once they're gone and the show ends, so does my memory of them. I hear names that sometimes jog a memory (usually bad), but that's about it. I probably couldn't name 6 people from last season's AI top 12 without looking them up.

So I guess the bottom line for me is, I'm all for mixing it up, as I didn't even watch last season because the show was getting a bit too stale.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Well... I don't remember who any of those people are!

I just watch these shows for the instant entertainment and don't remember anything about them once they end. I don't care about dance, and I'd never listen to AI contestants outside of the show, so who they are and what they do is strictly confined to their time on those shows. Once they're gone and the show ends, so does my memory of them. I hear names that sometimes jog a memory (usually bad), but that's about it. I probably couldn't name 6 people from last season's AI top 12 without looking them up.

So I guess the bottom line for me is, I'm all for mixing it up, as I didn't even watch last season because the show was getting a bit too stale.

Hrm - I think you're out of the norm though. I think that most people that watch this show care about the quality of dance, the performances that are done, the individuals, etc.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #63
Ksyrup

Quote:
As part of the shake-up for season seven of So You Think You Can Dance, former chroeographer and guest judge Mia Michaels will return to the show after quitting last fall following the pre-taped audition rounds, and the judges will actually get more power, eliminating contestants all the way until the finale, when viewers will select the winner from the top two or three.

Meanwhile, in addition to the return of Mia Michaels, Nigel Lythgoe told reporters that regular judge Mary Murphy will stop screaming and choreograph routines for the contestants, too, which means she won’t be a permanent judge.

The changes to the show’s format have made its final round resemble a lesser dance competition, ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, since now 10 contestants will be paired with all-star dancers and be eliminated one at a time.

But the show is retaining and actually improving the one aspect of its format that I liked best: allowing judges to make elimination decisions. “America will decide the bottom three — as usual — then the judges will get the three of them to dance and make the decision up until the finale, then of course it’s in America’s hands,” Nigel Lythgoe told reporters this morning, according to Reality TV World.

That alleviates my only concern, which is that the show would turn into even more of a popularity contest; this actually improves on the old format, as viewer votes have less power now.

On the call, Lythgoe credited Fox VP of reality Mike Darnell with the idea of bringing back all-star dancers, who will randomly be paired with a different finalist each week.

SYTYCD judges get more power; Mary Murphy choreographing, won't be full-time judge; Mia Michaels will return + reality blurred
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm still not that comfortable with this, but the judges staying in the mix helps.

And I'm VERY glad that Mary isn't a permanent judge anymore. I like her just fine for the most part, but it was hitting AI status - especially with 3 permanent judges last season - where you knew what they were going to say.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #65
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I saw the first all-star was announced.

Twitch
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #66
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Here's an all-star I'd like to see...

Yeesh.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAFTjunkie View Post

Here's an all-star I'd like to see...

Yeesh.

+100000000000000000

Quote:
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #68
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yessir.. And too bad chelsea is on dancing with the stars
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #69
MikeVic
Head Coach

There are definitely some hotties and some talented dancers that I'd like to see as All-Stars. Too bad Chelsie is on another show.

What about:
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lacey isn't doing Dancing, I wonder if she will be on this, I hope so.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

I see your:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

and raise you a:

Quote:
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You've already hit my favorites that I'm hoping will be back. Jeanine is at the top of the list, but you guys are building a nice 2nd tier. I'd add Katee (sp?) to that list.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh yeah Courtney was hot hot hot.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #74
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

from Nigel's twitter feed:
Quote:
Covering the genres of Jazz, Contemporary, Broadway and Cultural, I am delighted to say that we have, from Season 6, .......KATHRYN.

I say meh. Never really liked her. Her voice makes my ears hurt. At least now she should only dance and not talk so much...

FM
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #75
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

She was decent.

Something about her eyes creep me out tho
Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #76
MikeVic
Head Coach

According to Twitter, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul will be on this season, with Paula as an All-Star.

And I kinda liked Kathryn. I think she was leggy.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #77
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wait it's April Fools Day, maybe that's just a joke.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #78
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wait it's April Fools Day, maybe that's just a joke.

That's what i'm thinking.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #79
wade moore
lolzcat

YY - especially with Simon's clear low-blow to SYTYCD on Tuesday night.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #80
MikeVic
Head Coach

What did Simon say?

Looks like Pasha is the real one announced today.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #81
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
What did Simon say?

Looks like Pasha is the real one announced today.

He said something about how you always see singers go on and sing a song horribly on that "dancing show no one watches" or something like that.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #82
Ksyrup

Uh...that was a shot at Dancing with the Stars, not SYTYCD. He was talking about the backing band/singers who perform the songs they dance to on DwtS. They suck.

As far as "no one watching" DwtS - its Monday ratings just beat AI Tuesday and Wdensday ratings for the time in history last week (although DwtS gets the geriatrics, while AI dominates in young viewers).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-05-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #83
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought Nigel liked DwtS for some reason. I recall him praising certain aspects on the show once at least.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #84
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought Nigel liked DwtS for some reason. I recall him praising certain aspects on the show once at least.

I think Nigel does (just because it is a dance show and therefore promotes dance to some extent), but that doesn't mean Simon likes it. I also thought it was a clear shot by Simon at DwtS.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #85
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was reading this on a SYTYCD blog

hxxp://www.sytycdism.com/2010/04/04/sytycdwts-the-all-stars-list/

and while I didn't watch SYTYCD during season two from what I saw of Allison she was pretty good. Would be cool to actually get to watch her dance live.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #86
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think Nigel does (just because it is a dance show and therefore promotes dance to some extent), but that doesn't mean Simon likes it. I also thought it was a clear shot by Simon at DwtS.

Ah crap, I was combining Simon and Nigel into one person. Entirely possible one likes it and the other doesn't.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #87
Ksyrup

The comments were from Simon, who used the comparison while critiquing someone's AI performance - comparing them to the awful singers on DwtS (although not specifically referring to DwtS).
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #88
wade moore
lolzcat

Ah - my bad. I assumed it wasn't DwtS because of the "no one watches" comment...

Quote:
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #89
Ksyrup

So based on a new press release from Fox, it appears Mary Murphy is out as a full-time judge. Fox announced Adam and Mia Michaels as "resident judges" along with Nigel, but failed to mention Mary at all.

She was getting way too shticky for my tastes, so her leaving doesn't bother me (I believe she might be choreographing this season), but Mia NOT choreographing but judging full-time sucks, IMO.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #90
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
So based on a new press release from Fox, it appears Mary Murphy is out as a full-time judge. Fox announced Adam and Mia Michaels as "resident judges" along with Nigel, but failed to mention Mary at all.

She was getting way too shticky for my tastes, so her leaving doesn't bother me (I believe she might be choreographing this season), but Mia NOT choreographing but judging full-time sucks, IMO.

Yeah, I'm whatever on Mary Murphy. She didn't bug me but I didn't love her. I don't like Mia as a judge though, and with her not choreographing either, that sucks.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm with KSyrup.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #92
Ksyrup

This is from MJ's blog (commentary is hers).

Quote:
A couple of interesting tweets from Nigel Lythgoe (@dizzyfeet) this morning:

Here’s a relatively big change:
@Dizzyfeet: We’re not telling the contestants if they made #SYTYCD in the studio. We’re going out to the dancer’s homes. I say “No” to someone tomorrow.

Hm. Sounds a little melodramatic doesn’t it? So many changes this season. I’m wondering if Nigel is going overboard with the tweeking.

An interesting tidbit from yesterday: There’s been a lot of bitching about the new set, introduced last year. It’s bigger, less intimate, harder to really take in the dancers, according to some. Nigel is going to look into making some changes:
@Dizzyfeet Okay. I understand you want us to change the set this Season. I will check it out with my designer, Andy and we will make some adjustments.

And again, from this morning:
@Dizzyfeet: Mary is still on the show but don’t make the same mistake as “Idol” this season. The show should be about the young talent not the judges.

BURN!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #93
wade moore
lolzcat

Awesome last tweet.

Quote:
Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #94
Ksyrup

Yeah, kinda surprised he would come out and say something like that. That seems like a pretty good shot at her and her "train."
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #95
wade moore
lolzcat

Yup.

I worry about the changes. But then I look at the list of all-stars and get excited about seeing them perform again.

Quote:
Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #96
Ksyrup

Kherington is the new Pussycat Dolls member.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #97
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Kherington is the new Pussycat Dolls member.

Dammit she could do better for herself!!