Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Quit feeding stray animals

Was enjoying my cup of coffee and reading time magazine when I saw this quote in the Verbatim section. Almost spilled my coffee. Googled and found this happened recently and he has since apologized.

The Andre Bauer solution: Starve the poor, they’ll stop breeding | Jay Bookman
Andre Bauer regrets ‘animals’ remark - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com
Quote:
Bauer – one of the frontrunners in the state’s GOP gubernatorial primary – said during a town hall event focused on reducing the number of South Carolinians on government assistance that “my grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed.”

“You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply,” he said.

“They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that.”

– Andre Bauer, lieutenant governor of South Carolina
and candidate for S.C. governor

Not the analogy that I would have used.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

He certainly got right to the point, good luck back in the corporate world Andre.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Someone's read (and misunderstood) their Jonathan Swift.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

He has my vote
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

My speech teacher once told us that the solution to world hunger is to kill all the hungry people. Pretty sure he was joking though.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jesus: For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

Andre: Hold on. What if we starve all the poor?

Jesus: That's not really what I'm talking about, Andre.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

I don't want anybody to starve but this ultimately a big issue for humanity.

Almost 7 billion people in the world now, with the fastest population growth in places least able to support such a population. We're taxing the resources of the earth.

We're animals, but we don't have the benefit of the traditional evolutionary checks on population growth that every species has, because we value life more.

I have no idea what the answer is. Obviously, the policies of the Catholic Church and the U.S. government involving birth control in developing nations is ridiculous. If I was king of world, I'd offer a financial incentive for anyone willing to get sterilized. I read about the suffering and destruction in Haiti but in the back of my mind all I can think is - why the fuck are there 9 million people there anyway? What the hell sense does that make? I understand why we focus our collective energy on preserving life but - it's going to be disaster for everyone unless we come up with more difficult, and creative ways of limiting human suffering yet containing world population growth.

Last edited by molson : 01-31-2010 at 01:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I was king of the world I'm not sure I would offer a financial reward for sterilization but I would require a license to breed.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I have no idea what the answer is. Obviously, the policies of the Catholic Church and the U.S. government involving birth control in developing nations is ridiculous. If I was king of world, I'd offer a financial incentive for anyone willing to get sterilized. I read about the suffering and destruction in Haiti but in the back of my mind all I can think is - why the fuck are there 9 million people there anyway? What the hell sense does that make? I understand why we focus our collective energy on preserving life but - it's going to be disaster for everyone unless we come up with more difficult, and creative ways of limiting human suffering yet containing world population growth.

Well, China has an interesting answer to it. I'm don't think it's the right answer, but it's an interesting one. It would never fly in many parts of the world for ethical reasons, but it's worth looking at and seeing if you can come up with a new way to end at a similar result while eliminating the side effects (mass infanticide, male preference, etc).

And then lets look at India- they're cranking out 150M kids every 10 years at the rate they're going and they're poorer and less equipped to handle the problems than China...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The big issue facing us in the future is not food production, it is water. We have more food than we know what to do with, heck look at the amount of corn we use for ethanol alone. Change that over to a food crop and that could feed a lot of people. Only 1% of all land set aside for corn is for our consumption. Change that ratio, and you can feed a lot of people.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The big issue facing us in the future is not food production, it is water. We have more food than we know what to do with, heck look at the amount of corn we use for ethanol alone. Change that over to a food crop and that could feed a lot of people. Only 1% of all land set aside for corn is for our consumption. Change that ratio, and you can feed a lot of people.
I would think efforts to setup more efficient desalination techniques would be at the top of our list these days.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

While the guys words are poor and low brow, there is something to be said about people who can't afford having kids having a lot of kids. Then wanting everyone else to pay for them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Not put well, but he does have a point about enabling behaviour...
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Sgran
High School Varsity

There's a shred of truth in there, but it's just such a bad example of victimizing the victims. Like half of Haiti wouldn't move to the US in a heartbeat (and they just might try soon). The old Sam Kennison act just isn't that funny anymore, if it ever was (no, Ethiopia wasn't always a wasteland). The world has a lot of problems, and poor people aren't saints, but arguing that a tiny isolated island should be allowed to starve to death after a major natural disaster because they somehow chose to live in a shanty town should be met with the proper amount of derision.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

if i've always been in favor of a malthusian die-off.

i think the world would be a much better place with say ~2 billion people in it (and the subsequent reduction in industry, etc) than it is now.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Corn is the crop that is ruining the earth.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I know that pro-creation is the first thing I want after I've had a sandwich. Then again it isn't just sandwiches that bring on that urge.

While I have an inkling of sympathy for the point I think he was trying to make..Wow! What a way to step in it.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 02-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Pyser
Pro Rookie

daily show reported on this last week or so. worth finding (i cant find link right now, sorry)
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize this was about reduced or free school lunches for children.

Fuck you Andre.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
There's a shred of truth in there, but it's just such a bad example of victimizing the victims. Like half of Haiti wouldn't move to the US in a heartbeat (and they just might try soon). The old Sam Kennison act just isn't that funny anymore, if it ever was (no, Ethiopia wasn't always a wasteland). The world has a lot of problems, and poor people aren't saints, but arguing that a tiny isolated island should be allowed to starve to death after a major natural disaster because they somehow chose to live in a shanty town should be met with the proper amount of derision.

Oops. I thought this was the paul shirley thread.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 02-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote