Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

MAG

Anyone plan getting MAG next week? I was really looking forward to this one but I has somewhat underwhelmed playing the beta.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Probably will pass. Just way too many other good games coming out. Don't have enough time for them all.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Pass. For the most part I think my online playing days are over. When I play a game I want to enjoy myself and not have to deal with dipshits.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

MAG stands for ?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
MAG stands for ?

Mass Action Game I think...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Mass Action Game I think...

Massive is actually the first if I remember correctly.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

yeah, Massive Action Game.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Waiting for Suburban Rhythm to start a thread about MAF...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

This is actually the first time I have heard of the game. I've been out of the videogame loop(non sports titles atleast, sports are easy to follow along with, you get the same game every year with different rosters ) until December it seems for nearly the last year.

I went and looked at the game on a couple of websites and it sounds fantastic. 128 vs. 128 player online deathmatch with objectives and players in positions of leadership sounds great. Everything I've read has been heaping praise on the game it seems. What exactly did you find to be bad about the beta?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
This is actually the first time I have heard of the game. I've been out of the videogame loop(non sports titles atleast, sports are easy to follow along with, you get the same game every year with different rosters ) until December it seems for nearly the last year.

I went and looked at the game on a couple of websites and it sounds fantastic. 128 vs. 128 player online deathmatch with objectives and players in positions of leadership sounds great. Everything I've read has been heaping praise on the game it seems. What exactly did you find to be bad about the beta?

The gameplay was just a little - well, meh. I think I'm just spoiled playing CoD but it was just hard to see to get a kill. A guy would be right next to you and the two of us would shoot each other for like 30 seconds before one of us went down. Also - on paper it looks great - 256 player matches - leadership roles, ect. but do you really think it's going to be an organized battle? I really don't think 15 year old kids are really going to listen to anybody. Just my IMO

oh, and the graphics look like last generation graphics.

I was really looking forward to getting MAG. And I'm a sucker for a good RPG/FPS style game so I'll probably still pick it up. I have 3 gift cards to Best Buy from x-mass I was going to use them on this anyhow.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I really don't think 15 year old kids are really going to listen to anybody. Just my IMO

Of course, the reverse is true. Do you think a 35 year old guy is going to take orders from a 15 year old?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

True enough about the orders, however I guess they will have to unless they want to fall behind the pack. From what I've read you get double XP for performing your orders. Not sure what kind of incentive that is in the grand scheme of things however.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
True enough about the orders, however I guess they will have to unless they want to fall behind the pack. From what I've read you get double XP for performing your orders. Not sure what kind of incentive that is in the grand scheme of things however.

I think the game will do well. I'm just not sure it's my cup of tea given that I have a lot of single player games that I still haven't played and FFXIII and The Show soon to be out.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Waiting for Suburban Rhythm to start a thread about MAF...

What about ZP == CW. Figure that one out.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What about ZP == CW. Figure that one out.
How about you figure out how to kiss my ass!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amusing new ad with MAG game footage.....

>
Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Even though I didn't like the beta that much I think I'm still going to pick this up tomorrow. I think I'm really going to like leveling aspect of MAG... I'll post some impressions once I get in the game a couple days.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I got MAG on release day and I'm really enjoying it. I'm for sure a CoD fanboy but I do have to say that MAG has taken over the "fun factor" over CoD. There is a pretty step learning curve with the objectives on some of the games but once you learn your what the hell you're doing it's a blast. It really feels like you're a part of a large war once you in game. I suggest you PS3 users that are fan of FPS/MMOPRG to try it - you won't regret it.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I got MAG on release day and I'm really enjoying it. I'm for sure a CoD fanboy but I do have to say that MAG has taken over the "fun factor" over CoD. There is a pretty step learning curve with the objectives on some of the games but once you learn your what the hell you're doing it's a blast. It really feels like you're a part of a large war once you in game. I suggest you PS3 users that are fan of FPS/MMOPRG to try it - you won't regret it.

Ever played Warhawk? Anything like that? I always thought that game had a good mix of fun/strategy. Didn't enjoy SOCOM at all. Didn't know where MAG fell in the range of games available.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Never played Warhawk. There is a lot of strategy in MAG. You get extra exp points it you follow your squad leaders request so it really helps players be on the same page. Here is a good post on the mode I like to play - Acquisition:

Ok, the goal of the game type, is to defend, or steal, two vehicles. If you are defending, each squad starts out in a bunker, the most important bunkers are the two closest to the main road, that is overlooking some obstacle (roadblock, gate, bridge). If you are defending, you want to keep the gates and roadblocks repaired, because not only does it keep vehicles from getting in, it keeps them from getting out. =) Bridges are opposite, if you are defending, you want to take a bridge out, so they cant get the vehicle out, until they repair it.

Another main target is the Anti-Air, if the anti air is blow up, the attacking team gets a forward spawn. (then they can easily turn and destroy the remaining bunkers/obstacles, and move in to the vehicles faster.

My attack plan is to take down the bunker closest to the AA, and then take down the AA, get the forward spawn up, and then remove the rest of the bunkers/obstacles, as soon as the AA goes down, the platoon leader should take out the Mortar Battery with a Precision strike, to keep mortars from ruining attacking and retreating with the vehicles. After that, it is move in, clear an obstacle next to the vehicle, and get out.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Eilim
High School Varsity

Picked this up despite the mixed reviews and already owning pretty much every shooter out there already. I have to say, I think I'll be playing this for a while. I just love 'massive" combat. Haven't had this much fun since BF2142 came out. While I love the tactics required in squad based shooters, they tend to fall apart for me if not playing with friends. With this, you can excel when you luck out and get in a good squad..but doesn't completely fall apart like the others if your unlucky because there is just so many people and so much action going on.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 AM   #22
Icy
Pro Starter

Purchased it yesterday and i must say it's the best FPS i have played for a long time, including MW2.

I have not unlocked yet the 128 v 128 battle mode, but the 64 vs 64 is amazing, feels like a real war. I also love the strategical objectives and slower pace compared to MW2. The chain of command is nice, specially if you get good squad and platoon leaders that give you objectives and lead you to the win.

MW2 has way better graphics (MAG looks a bit outdated/cartoonist) and more weapons, but the problem i had with MW2 is that it's so fast paced, not strategic at all, just about running around and shooting so i got a bit bored of it after two weeks.

On the other hand, MAG is about team work, and having huge maps, lots of players, a chain of command and objectives means that most of the players fight to get them, instead of just hidding somewhere in the tinny MW2 map to kill somebody when he turns a corner.

MAG is what i was expecting when i purchased MW2, i wish we could merge MW2 graphics with MAG gameplay, would be in FPS heaven.

I highly recomend it if you want a more mature, slow paced and strategical FPS than the l33t kids run and shoot that MW2 has became.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Purchased it yesterday and i must say it's the best FPS i have played for a long time, including MW2.

I have not unlocked yet the 128 v 128 battle mode, but the 64 vs 64 is amazing, feels like a real war. I also love the strategical objectives and slower pace compared to MW2. The chain of command is nice, specially if you get good squad and platoon leaders that give you objectives and lead you to the win.

MW2 has way better graphics (MAG looks a bit outdated/cartoonist) and more weapons, but the problem i had with MW2 is that it's so fast paced, not strategic at all, just about running around and shooting so i got a bit bored of it after two weeks.

On the other hand, MAG is about team work, and having huge maps, lots of players, a chain of command and objectives means that most of the players fight to get them, instead of just hidding somewhere in the tinny MW2 map to kill somebody when he turns a corner.

MAG is what i was expecting when i purchased MW2, i wish we could merge MW2 graphics with MAG gameplay, would be in FPS heaven.

I highly recomend it if you want a more mature, slow paced and strategical FPS than the l33t kids run and shoot that MW2 has became.

This is good feedback here. The good strategy basis along with slower pace is exactly what I was looking for. That along with the 'cartoony' graphics were a big reason why Warhawk is still played quite a bit today.

I'll pick up MAG today.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #24
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

I'm loving MAG - I'll be playing it for a long long time. It feels/plays (better IMO) so much different than MW2 - and you get to actually play with a mature audience most of the time.

ICY - wait to you play the 128 vs 128 domination. I'm still trying to understand it all but it is chaotic. I'm on a decent clan of found on the forums but add me anyhow (PS name is Broth32) - it's a blast playing with the same 6-12 people all the time.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm loving MAG - I'll be playing it for a long long time. It feels/plays (better IMO) so much different than MW2 - and you get to actually play with a mature audience most of the time.

ICY - wait to you play the 128 vs 128 domination. I'm still trying to understand it all but it is chaotic. I'm on a decent clan of found on the forums but add me anyhow (PS name is Broth32) - it's a blast playing with the same 6-12 people all the time.

Which faction are you playing with? I'm Raven.

I'm about to reach level 8, one more battle and i'll get it to play 128 vs 128.

I'm really really enjoying this game to the point that i'm going to trade MW2 in my next game purchase, this FPS is exactly what i was looking for.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Arggg - I'm Valor. I hit level 21 last night. I mostly play as a medic field support so I can really gain exp pretty quick.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #27
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Arggg - I'm Valor. I hit level 21 last night. I mostly play as a medic field support so I can really gain exp pretty quick.

I'm also playing as support, but medic or engineer depending on the mission, with LMG and rocket launcher as main weapons.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm avoiding this game because I don't get a ton of PT and I'm really into MW2 right now. This fits my playstyle more, but want to get my fill of MW2 first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #29
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Any recommendations for a headset for this game? I'm considering picking up the game and a headset. Thanks in advance.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #30
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Any recommendations for a headset for this game? I'm considering picking up the game and a headset. Thanks in advance.

I got the Sony BT headset because a lot of people recommended it. I don't care for it that much - doesn't rest on my ear correctly and you'll need to charge it after every decent gaming session (only has 8 hour battery life). I would just get the $20 wired headset @ Best Buy.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #31
Icy
Pro Starter

I have also the Sony BT one and yeah, nothing really amazing, only good point is that being from Sony, you know it's 100% compatible, and it has also an high quality mode when used with the PS3, but to tell you the true, it's not that you will notice it that much if anything at all.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

I really like mine, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head - I'll look when I get home.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
Eilim
High School Varsity

Playing on Valor myself, PS3 nick 'Uafasach'. Went the medic route early due to the ease of experience. No longer going full support since finding my 'niche' as an MGer who can help with the heals. Have yet to try any modes beyond sabotage because I'm having too much fun now that I'm no longer confused on the maps. Will have to start trying the others modes soon, now that I've hit 30 and feel a bit more comfortable in the game.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

This is what I have:

Amazon.com: Ear Force X1 Stereo Headset with Chat: Xbox 360: Video Games

I don't know if they have one for the PS3, but I love it.

I guess the only bad thing is you are tethered with a cord - but they give you a really long one.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This is what I have:

Amazon.com: Ear Force X1 Stereo Headset with Chat: Xbox 360: Video Games

I don't know if they have one for the PS3, but I love it.

I guess the only bad thing is you are tethered with a cord - but they give you a really long one.

They have basically the same model for the PS3. I actually purchased it last week. It's excellent. It's called the Ear Force P21.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #36
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks a ton for the recommendations guys! I actually don't mind the cord on the 360 one so I'll likely go with something like that.

I'm probably going to trade Uncharted 2 and MW2 for MAG, so I'll catch you guys on-line.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #37
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

For those of you that are playing MAG you should really consider joining this clan. It's a small clan but we get 8-10 of us on a night playing. The games experience is so much better when you have an organized method to the mayhem of MAG.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #38
wade moore
lolzcat

So I'm stupid - didn't realize this was PS3 only. So, not getting it.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Just picked this up, I'll look for some of you guys when I'm around.