Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Rock Band: Beatles

OK, I figure this game deserves its own thread.

Played it for the first time last night, and it's what I'd read it would be - a real treat for anyone that's a Beatles fan. I give them credit for crafting a very well done version of a game that they could've put zero effort into and still sold a shitload of games. They didn't have to go the extra mile, but they did. All of the visuals, from the opening scene through all of the menu and story mode transitions are very nicely done, and the background visual while playing (to the extent that I could pay attention to them) were very cool.

It's also pretty clear they are targeting a particular audience. The difficulty levels seem to be more gentle - playing "Hard" on RB:B isn't nearly as hard as most of the songs on RB:2. Similarly, the "Medium" level is definitely easier than most of the songs in RB:2. I would guess Harmonix & EA are very specifically hoping to lure in a broader fan base with this release.

Looking forward to finishing it on guitar and going back through on all the other instruments, as well as looking forward to future song downloads. This is also a nice addition to the RB library in terms of it being a party game - who doesn't know the Beatles catalog?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am a big Beatles fan, and in the 'somewhat disappointed' camp.

Not for anything in particular (and it does look great), but because even though I would say I love the Beatles, I only love a little less than half of the tracks included with the game out of the box, leaving me with 20 songs I like to play...which is like a quarter of what I've built up over time in regular ol' rock band, leaving me kinda jonesing for vanilla RB while playing the Beatles. I understand that this has to be a huge cashgrab, almost by necessity, but I wish they would've included more than 40 songs, and been more discerning in a few cases, but I know nobody would ever agree on what the perfect track list should be. Likewise, as you mention dawgfan, things seem a little bit easier, so playing the drums for the Beatles songs that I love is somehow less satisfying than playing cheesy Boston songs at top volume...which just makes me feel guilty.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i had a blast playing it, and will probably buy every downloadable song they release...which is probably the companys plan all along
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Somewhat related: Anyone have any thoughts on the new Beatles box sets?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I had all the albums on wax, got all the original "remastered" CDs, and will most definitely be getting the new CDs. The sonic quality of "Love" absolutely blew me away, so the opportunity to hear that level of quality applied to their entire catalog is almost too good to be true.

And if I ever get a PS3, I'm going all-in and getting the Beatles Special Edition Rock Band kit.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

My friend has the game.

Terribly dissapointed that "She Loves You" isn't on the songlist.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I got the game for the Wii and having a good time with it.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ok, guys what is the deal with profiles in this game. My wife created one when she got the game last night, I guess, and we can't figure out if there is a way for me to play under a different profile. So we can't do story mode separately, can't differentiate between our high scores, etc. Am I really the only one that has this problem?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Can't you change your Nickname under "Online Options"?

At least for the Wii version.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Also you can't just choose the save spot for the story?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
MJ4H
Coordinator

I don't know let me look.

It looks like changing my nickname would still be using the same profile save. It would just be renaming the profile. That won't do any good for when we play together and is a huge pain to change everytime we want to play (you have to retype it each time, not just select from a list).

It looks like I can at least select a save spot for story mode which is more than I thought I could do. Sucks it's that big of a pain or basically useless to play under different names. Is that common for the Rock Band series? This is the first one I've owned though I've played the game elsewhere many times.

Last edited by MJ4H : 09-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Mota
College Benchwarmer

On Xbox you just log each instrument into the respective profiles and it works like a charm. Sounded like a pain initially as usually I just use one profile, but this way we're all collecting our achievements and working towards something. My wife is not a gamer, but for some reason you throw in achievements and she wants to do all the little things to get some extra points.

I have no problem with that.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

I totally love this game.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Somewhat related: Anyone have any thoughts on the new Beatles box sets?

I got it tonight. They do sound richer and more full. I put my headphones on and just got lost in some beautiful music. So worth the price.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I got it tonight. They do sound richer and more full. I put my headphones on and just got lost in some beautiful music. So worth the price.

Mono or stereo box set?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

stereo
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My wrist all the way to my elbow is sore from doing so much drumming on Hard this weekend. Did a full runthrough of the game. I need to take a break! Great news is that I somehow made a 1,386 note streak on one of the songs, that's pretty hardcore.

I even went back into GH5 and played some drums there and somehow my Beatles Rock Band experience has made me from a Medium to a Hard drummer.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
watravaler
High School JV

They need to release every Beatles song, bottom line...

No reason not to, imo, unless they are going to release RB: Beatles 2
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

"I have blisters on my fingers" from playing this weekend!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Heh. Same here.

I had great fun playing with my wife and sister-in-law last night. And had a blast "playing" with my 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son over the weekend as well.

My son now sings many Beatles songs and and knows the names of all the band members.

And we went to an arts festival on Saturday and my daughter sang "We all live in a yellow submarine" over and over all day. Except when she sang "We all live in a Pink submarine."

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
They need to release every Beatles song, bottom line...

I think they are planning on doing this. I think there is one album available for download, and two more scheduled.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
"I have blisters on my fingers" from playing this weekend!!

Nice.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just bought it tonight and an extra wireless guitar. BB had them on sale for $15.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I just bought it tonight and an extra wireless guitar. BB had them on sale for $15.

Wireless guitars were 15 bucks!?!!?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yep..they had a big clearance rack with a few on them.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What does that metal slider thing do on the wireless guitar. Everytime i bump it my guitar really messes up and won't register anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #27
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What does that metal slider thing do on the wireless guitar. Everytime i bump it my guitar really messes up and won't register anything.
?

Can you post a picture or a link to the guitar in question and identify the "metal slider thing"?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #28
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Have you seen how hard it is to get the achievements? Gold star 4 songs on Expert to get one achievement. That's crazy, I don't know anybody who can gold star 1 song on Expert let alone 4.

Pretty much only the hardest of the hardcore can get more than 500 achievement points on this baby.

That being said, I have moved to Expert on guitar and hard on drums, so I'll be trying my best. Add me to your Xbox live friends list, my gamertag is Mota.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
?

Can you post a picture or a link to the guitar in question and identify the "metal slider thing"?

Sorry...

the slider to the right of the start and back buttons.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
A special effects switch can be used to toggle between five different guitar effects during solos and Overdrive periods (ranging from wah-wah, flange, chorus, echo, distortion, doubler, slap back echo, medium echo, and long echo).

Wiki.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Wiki.

But does nothing in The Beatles: Rockband.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #32
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you...so i could possibly have a defective guitar.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 09-17-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #33
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thank you...so i could possibly have a defective guitar.
Not necessarily - I think Dan is correct that the guitar effects are not supported in RB: B. You should rent or borrow RB or RB2 to check.

Edit:
Sorry, re-read your post. Not sure why bumping it would affect the game registering your playing. I'd still suggest using your guitar on RB or RB2 and see if you notice odd behavior.

Last edited by dawgfan : 09-17-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #34
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Heh. Same here.

I had great fun playing with my wife and sister-in-law last night. And had a blast "playing" with my 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son over the weekend as well.

My son now sings many Beatles songs and and knows the names of all the band members.

And we went to an arts festival on Saturday and my daughter sang "We all live in a yellow submarine" over and over all day. Except when she sang "We all live in a Pink submarine."

Ah, when I was growing up in summer camp we sang, "we all live in a concentration camp."
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The FedEx man brought me my copy today. Just got through about 2 and a half hours with it, and the game is a blast. The calibration didn't work for me, though. I followed the manual steps, but the adjustments just were flat wrong. I set audio and video back to zero, and it worked like a champ. Nailed 'Something' with 100% on medium my first attempt.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Ah, when I was growing up in summer camp we sang, "we all live in a concentration camp."

For us it was "we all lived with a man who couldn't pee."
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So the full "Abbey Road" record will be released for RB:B tomorrow - I'm very excited as that's my favorite Beatles record. Really looking forward to the Beatles catalog being fleshed out for this game...
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
path12
Coordinator

Played a bunch this weekend. I can now drum about half the songs on hard. I think the drum lines on medium are actually harder than in RB2 -- at least where the double kicks are concerned. Ringo apparently LOVED those goddamn double kicks.

I need a replacement guitar, the strummer on mine is wearing out.

Getting a separate SD card for the RB:B stuff and downloading Abbey Road tomorrow as well -- very excited to play the side two medley....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #39
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So the full "Abbey Road" record will be released for RB:B tomorrow - I'm very excited as that's my favorite Beatles record. Really looking forward to the Beatles catalog being fleshed out for this game...

Nice!! Didn't know that was coming out tomorrow!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. Current schedule is "Abbey Road" tomorrow, "Sgt. Peppers" in November and "Rubber Soul" in December.

I would hope that "Revolver" and "The Beatles" (the White Album) will also get full album treatment as well...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #41
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Yep. Current schedule is "Abbey Road" tomorrow, "Sgt. Peppers" in November and "Rubber Soul" in December.

I would hope that "Revolver" and "The Beatles" (the White Album) will also get full album treatment as well...

I'd think Revolution 9 would be a challenge.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #42
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'd think Revolution 9 would be a challenge.
Yes, good point. I think they could probably skip that one...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #43
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, good point. I think they could probably skip that one...

What kind of instruments would you use on the Continuing Adventures of Bungelo Bill? While my Guitar Gently Weeps and Happiness is a Warm Gun would be a lot of fun though!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #44
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Nice gameplay videos of the DLC Abbey Road:

hxxp://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169580

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What kind of instruments would you use on the Continuing Adventures of Bungelo Bill? While my Guitar Gently Weeps and Happiness is a Warm Gun would be a lot of fun though!
That one is pretty straightforward - you've got drums, bass and guitar parts in that song.

"Good Night" would probably be out - it's all strings and Ringo's vocals. I think that and "Revolution 9" would be the only ones that wouldn't work.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #46
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think a lot of the white album is acoustic, and some no drums. like julia and i will and blackbird. great songs, but a bored drummer.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, by acoustic i also meant little to no bass.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #48
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i think a lot of the white album is acoustic, and some no drums. like julia and i will and blackbird. great songs, but a bored drummer.
Yeah, true. Not sure if they'd put those up as just guitar and vocals. I notice from the vids from Abbey Road that they did "Because" which has no drum track.

I would think they would since I suspect guitar is the most-played RB instrument, but I can understand how it might bore bassists and drummers. To me as a Beatles fan though, the main thing is just getting to "perform" along with the song, even if the instrumentation is limited.

Should be interesting to see. I would think that these first 3 DLC releases will be the test case for whether they opt to do more. As I noted above, I'd be disappointed if the White Album and Revolver don't also get the DLC treatment...lots of great stuff on both.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #49
path12
Coordinator

What the hell?? My RB buddy just forwarded me this link that says you can't play the side two medley on Wii.....

5 Things You Don’t Know About Rock Band’s Abbey Road Extras | GameLife | Wired.com
Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #50
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

That's a drag - I wonder if system limitations are the root cause of that, or if it's something like MS and Sony greasing some palms at Harmonix...