Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Second Season Football Game ? (Board)

The SOM football thread got me thinking again about getting a pro football board game. The game I am leaning to heavily is Second Season from the replay guy. I think I remember Rowech posting over on the Delphi forum about it so he or anyone else that has experience with it what do you think?

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I have it and it's a fun game, but it takes awhile to play through a single game. The seasons from the company also cost a lot (relatively), but you could of course create your own teams.

If you want to play lots of games and/or recreate entire seasons, playing the games may be too time consuming for that. If you want to replay playoffs/Super Bowls or play through a single team's season(s), or looking for a game for two players, then it's a pretty good game.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-30-2008 at 12:14 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I have it and it's a fun game, but it takes awhile to play through a single game. The seasons from the company also cost a lot (relatively), but you could of course create your own teams.

If you want to play lots of games and/or recreate entire seasons, playing the games may be too time consuming for that. If you want to replay playoffs/Super Bowls or play through a single team's season(s), or looking for a game for two players, then it's a pretty good game.

Yeah, I will be playing only one maybe two teams full schedules and probably a couple of key games each week. I will be using Game Winning Drive or another "quick" play football game for the rest of the games......I didn't see the season were that much $27 for 2007 21 for 2000 for example. How long does it take to play out a game? A lot of impressions I have read put it at 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on getting the hang of the game.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

When you get the game, you get to choose a season to get for free. At least, you did when I bought it.

1.5 to 2 hours per game sounds about right.

EDIT: I also bought the game awhile ago and since then they've released a new "streamlined" game book, so that might speed up games a bit.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-30-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
When you get the game, you get to choose a season to get for free. At least, you did when I bought it.

1.5 to 2 hours per game sounds about right.

EDIT: I also bought the game awhile ago and since then they've released a new "streamlined" game book, so that might speed up games a bit.

Yeah, they actually just in the last two months released a FACs cards for nodice playing and streamlining solo play calling. The reviews of these new FACS is it shaves 30-45 minutes off the game time. And that free game deal is no longer happening apparently you get four randow teams is all. So, that kind of sucks.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-30-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah, they actually just in the last two months released a FACs cards for nodice playing and streamlining solo play calling. The reviews of these new FACS is it shaves 30-45 minutes off the game time. And that free game deal is no longer happening apparently you get four randow teams is all. So, that kind of sucks.

I'll have to check out the new stuff that speeds up gameplay.

Only 4 random teams? That sucks, but there are lot of user created teams/seasons that you can find. I found some on the product's webpage (Second Season Football Innovations) and you can find teams on tabletop-sports.com
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

You gone and got me interested in trying to get back into the game now.

I spent the night rating the 1950 New York Giants. It took a couple of hours, but a lot of that was following along with their guide, looking up stats, over and over again (since I had to find where the stats were on Pro Football Reference), and doing a bit of math. I think that when I get the hang of it, it probably won't take long (30 minutes to an hour) to rate a team. I'm not going to get all nit picky about the ratings, so as long as they are "good enough" (read: I follow and assign points based on the guide and my own reasoning/"common sense"), I'll be happy.

When I'm done rating the rest of the 1950s teams, I'll post them here.

EDIT: And it just took me ~30 minutes to do a rough draft of the 1950 Detroit Lions.

Last edited by sabotai : 12-01-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
You gone and got me interested in trying to get back into the game now.

I spent the night rating the 1950 New York Giants. It took a couple of hours, but a lot of that was following along with their guide, looking up stats, over and over again (since I had to find where the stats were on Pro Football Reference), and doing a bit of math. I think that when I get the hang of it, it probably won't take long (30 minutes to an hour) to rate a team. I'm not going to get all nit picky about the ratings, so as long as they are "good enough" (read: I follow and assign points based on the guide and my own reasoning/"common sense"), I'll be happy.

When I'm done rating the rest of the 1950s teams, I'll post them here.

EDIT: And it just took me ~30 minutes to do a rough draft of the 1950 Detroit Lions.

Awesome news. I want to start a small cult of Second Season folks here at FOFC. I just ordered a new copy of the game along with the 1999 season plus the FACS cards. I am glad to see you getting back into it so I will have some to answer questions.......I am also interested in rating the 1988,1991,1992,and 1993 seasons all teams once I get into the game. I will also post them whenever I get it down. I am wondering who else here other than Rowech, you and now me play this game here at FOFC or other football board games. I notice as I get nearer to 40s I feeling more nostaligic about the teams of my youth like The Earl Campbell Oilers and Dan Fouts Chargers. Plus, I am starting to really enjoy sport replay board games especially football rpo or college. The text sims for computer are great for career play but they can't touch the fun of board game replays for historic IMHO..
Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

Galaril,

I already have rated 1991. It's on Pete's website or I can email them to you in a zip file. I also have 1986 and 1988 that someone else has rated. Shoot me a PM if you're itnerested and we'll work out the details.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

After looking this over, I'm definitely on the verge of ordering this.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's a good game - plays like you're watching the game on TV. Don't expect a game that is going to test your "I've always wanted to be a coach" mettle, because it's not like that at all.

I bought it when it was Keith Avallone's puppy - Pete Ventura has improved it a lot since that time. I bought the updated chart book - it stands on its own pedestal and does improve the timing of the game play.

I have no interest in the FACs - but that's just a personal preference as I can't stand random numbers being used and then never being used again until I reshuffle the pile.

The problem I have with all these games - I have Gridiron Wars, Second Season, Inside Blitz - is that I find it hard to score a football game. I've never found a scoresheet or a tabletop game board that suits my purposes. Whenever I play games like this I get about halfway through the first quarter and then the game feels like drudgery, and all I want to do is get through it.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Galaril,

I already have rated 1991. It's on Pete's website or I can email them to you in a zip file. I also have 1986 and 1988 that someone else has rated. Shoot me a PM if you're itnerested and we'll work out the details.

pm sent.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I just ordered the game along with the '07 Yearbook and am looking forward to it. I'll pass my thoughts along once I receive it.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I just ordered the game along with the '07 Yearbook and am looking forward to it. I'll pass my thoughts along once I receive it.

You will love it! It really is a great game. If you want to check out a replay I started over at the forum for the game here is the link. I am doing the 1999 Titans season and some select games from each week along with using Quick Play football for the other teams games I don't play out.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...ll&msg=18552.1

Last edited by Galaril : 01-04-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Glad to see folks giving this a try. If you're a baseball and/or basketball guy, don't be afraid to buy these games from Replay as well.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
You will love it! It really is a great game. If you want to check out a replay I started over at the forum for the game here is the link. I am doing the 1999 Titans season and some select games from each week along with using Quick Play football for the other teams games I don't play out.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/...ll&msg=18552.1

Thanks for the link, checking it out now! How much help are the FACs cards? I forgot to order them but am considering it now.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 01-04-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the link, checking it out now! How much help are the FACs cards? I forgot to order them but am considering it now.

They make solitaire play a lot easier.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Definitely can recommend the facs cards for solitaire play.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, so I got my game today and I love it. It took a while to play but that's because I was being super-precise. Anyhow, I used the 07 Yearbook I bought with my favorite team (The Steelers) against my favorite player (Drew Brees). It was a bit anti-climatic as the Steelers rolled up a 31-0 lead (ultimately ending 31-7 thanks to a big kick return for a TD) but was still very fun and quite enjoyable none-the-less.

I didn't use the FAC cards which is one reason it took a bit longer but I did enjoy rolling the dice and may not ever use them (if I ever download and print them anyway!). My ultimate plan is to develop a league (with the 07 Yearbook as the base) where I have the league evolve for multiple seasons in a fictional style. Doing this will give me some nice flexibility as I'm not a huge replayer, more of a career-mode kind of guy. But I definitely recommend this game.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, so I got my game today and I love it. It took a while to play but that's because I was being super-precise. Anyhow, I used the 07 Yearbook I bought with my favorite team (The Steelers) against my favorite player (Drew Brees). It was a bit anti-climatic as the Steelers rolled up a 31-0 lead (ultimately ending 31-7 thanks to a big kick return for a TD) but was still very fun and quite enjoyable none-the-less.

I didn't use the FAC cards which is one reason it took a bit longer but I did enjoy rolling the dice and may not ever use them (if I ever download and print them anyway!). My ultimate plan is to develop a league (with the 07 Yearbook as the base) where I have the league evolve for multiple seasons in a fictional style. Doing this will give me some nice flexibility as I'm not a huge replayer, more of a career-mode kind of guy. But I definitely recommend this game.

Glad you are liking it. I recommend the basketball game as well as Inside Blitz for college football games.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
Galaril
Pro Starter

This is for anyone interested in pro football board game replays. I have a copy with a ton of seasons for the excellent "Second Season board game for sale. I have a bunch of practically new Second Season Football Pro football (NFL/USFL) seasons for sale along with the game. All 6 seasons for $90 (includes priority shipping so $80 + $10 SSH=$90. I paid $145 purchased new.

For anyone not familiar with the game it uses either a dice or FACS to resolve plays of of team sheets with each player (all 53) rated including lineman rated for both passing and run block etc. The game uses charts that are very descriptive so you real see the action unfold. If any have played strat-o-matic or APBA as a kid this one blows the doors off them.

Also, the nice thing about Second Season is the instructions for making your on team sets based on any seasons or even fictional season sets are available. I will include as a freebie the full rating your own teams manual with this.

There are quite few free season that have been rated by the community that excellent quality they include:
NFL: 1998,1996,1991,1987,1986,1981,1969,1965,1962 AFL/NFL,1953 NFL
AND
NCAA:
120 Division 1 2008 college teams
top 35 teams 1982.

anyone interested let me know by PM.