Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

So, I just hit a guy with my car.

It happened about an hour ago. It broke his leg but otherwise he seems to be ok. I'm a wreck though.

I never saw him. He tried to make a run from the circle k to the apartments across the street and didn't make it. He was dressed all in black and there were no street lights where he was crossing.

To make matters worse, he ended up getting the ticket. I lost my drivers side mirror but he broke his leg and got a ticket for jaywalking. I know it wasn't my fault at all but I am a long time walker and man, it coulda been me on the other end easily enough. It's pretty easy to misjudge speed and distance, especially at night. It's just crappy all the way around.

I just wanted to let this out. I've told some friends and some family and everyone is really supportive of me and it almost seems dismissive of the other guy. I mean, I feel great for me and all and I did nothing wrong but it has tripped out my life sucks o meter and I really need to convey that this whole situation stinks and I hope the dude, whoever he is since he didn't give the police enough information for them to id him, I hope he is going to be fine and dude, I'm so sorry I didn't see you.

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wtf

damn

then again - if he was jaywalking all in black and everything man...it's on him 100%. nothing you could have done - you didn't even see him.

it's nice that you feel bad though
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

He is alive and besides a broken leg will hopefully be fine. I think you shouldn't beat yourself up over this.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
He is alive and besides a broken leg will hopefully be fine. I think you shouldn't beat yourself up over this.

Oh man, when I first got out of the car he wasn't moving and I really thought I had killed him but he was apparently stunned. His leg was twisted almost completely backwards. I imagine he was in serious shock by that point.

A part of it beating myself up over it but a part of it really is it could have been me. I have always joked that I was probably going to die by getting hit in traffic. I've done some pretty stupid moves as a pedestrian and while I'd like to say that I've never done anything quite this stupid, who knows? Let your guard down for a second and it's over.

After I realized he was fine that thought really hit me super hard and it kinda makes me sick to think that I was saying that. I mean, jeez, I got the message now.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Request as much info as possible and save it for the next few years. I've known a few people who got sued way after their accident occured. I dunno if it is a common practice to make legal claims at the last second. But you don't want to deal with this in 2013 when your memories maybe aren't so sharp.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
You should visit him and take him out to lunch when he feels better.

No.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Request as much info as possible and save it for the next few years. I've known a few people who got sued way after their accident occured. I dunno if it is a common practice to make legal claims at the last second. But you don't want to deal with this in 2013 when your memories maybe aren't so sharp.

Good idea, I'll be doing that. Right now I don't even have the complete police report because the guy wouldn't/couldn't identify himself to their satisfaction not giving good name, social ect. but we exchanged information ( cops and I ) so I could get that. They said that the jaywalking ticket was also being written to protect me from any litigation so that'll help but I'm going to make sure to get copies of everything and anything just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
No.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No.

Sadly, I agree with you. As callous as this sounds, doing that is almost admitted wrongdoing, and people have tried to make a buck out of much less.

If you run across the street at night, you're pretty much gambling, and if you get hit by a car, you lost the gamble. It doesn't sound like you did anything reckless. It's just wrong place at the wrong time.

I would feel bad, too, because hitting someone with your car would have be pretty traumatic no matter what. You just have to find peace with the fact that you didn't do anything wrong.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

Part of what's bothering me too is the entire inhumanity of the whole affair. I mean, I was back home literally within a half hour of the accident. Everything was so smoothly efficient and handled with the absolute best clinical care and technical precision but no one, not even the bystanders seemed to give a damn. As soon as the cops got there most of them were ready to bolt and get on with their lives which is understandable but damn, I used to remember when an accident was an occurence not something that just happened in your day and then you moved on. It just doesn't seem natural but now I'm realizing that it's the car part that's tripping me out about it. A dude breaks his leg by falling wrong and I'm not going to give it a second thought either.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I almost took out 3-4 young black kids one night who were horsing around too close to the road. I saw them at the last second and swerved. I may have had a beer in me too. Glad I saw them.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I almost hit a guy tonight myself. The guy was wearing all black and there wasn't a lot of lighting.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Axxon
Pro Starter

I don't even know what I'd have done if I had a beer in me. Having the peace of mind of knowing I'll never have to find that out is one of the best deterrents against drinking and driving ( forget even dui )for me ever. That, plus in my old age I can afford cab fare and like talking to cabbies more than sweating blue lights.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I almost hit a guy tonight myself. The guy was wearing all black and there wasn't a lot of lighting.
I wonder if it was the same guy. He matches the description.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Actually if he broke your mirror you should think about filing a claim. Chances are their are funds set aside to compensate wronged parties.

I'd wager dude either had warrants or had a "questionable citizenship status".
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Was he hopping around a lot because one of his legs was facing the wrong way?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

Meh. He's not dead.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the dude could be your butler
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Part of what's bothering me too is the entire inhumanity of the whole affair. I mean, I was back home literally within a half hour of the accident. Everything was so smoothly efficient and handled with the absolute best clinical care and technical precision but no one, not even the bystanders seemed to give a damn. As soon as the cops got there most of them were ready to bolt and get on with their lives which is understandable but damn, I used to remember when an accident was an occurence not something that just happened in your day and then you moved on. It just doesn't seem natural but now I'm realizing that it's the car part that's tripping me out about it. A dude breaks his leg by falling wrong and I'm not going to give it a second thought either.

Probably seemed quicker than it was as your head was spinning. Gald for both of you it wasn't worse and I agree with SteveW, get as much info as possible and hang on to it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually if he broke your mirror you should think about filing a claim. Chances are their are funds set aside to compensate wronged parties.

I'd wager dude either had warrants or had a "questionable citizenship status".

Where would I get information to even file such a claim? I wouldn't have any idea.

If it's either, I'm betting warrants. The dude didn't have any form of accent that would indicate non American. He was a young kid ( 21 ) in a bad neighborhood. I really want to think it was shock that made his answers not add up but there is always the possibility that it's something else. It was the tone of the policemans voice that suggested that ( sounded like he was annoyed that he couldn't just wrap the whole thing up right there and then too ) but it also kinda ticked me off because yeah, technically I was the "victim" in that sense but in every real sense he was a "victim" too and really deserved the benefit of the doubt I think. I'd hate to be judged negatively if I was in shock. As it was, I almost couldn't give the officer my ssn and both my legs were pointed in the right direction.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Dressed all in black and wouldn't give the cops his information?

Worst. ninja. ever.

Seriously, I'd be a little shaken up too. I hope you (and he) feel better.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Probably seemed quicker than it was as your head was spinning. Gald for both of you it wasn't worse and I agree with SteveW, get as much info as possible and hang on to it.

No, the accident happened at 5:50. I remember because I wanted to get some food and be home by 6. I ditched the food idea but I was home by 6:20 or something. First time I really looked at the clock at home it was 6:30 and I just thought, damn.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Maybe the dude could be your butler

I know it's a movie but which one???
Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I know it's a movie but which one???

Seinfeld
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #25
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Any time you can get hit by a car and limp away is a good time to get hit by a car.

or something like that...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Any time you can get hit by a car and limp away is a good time to get hit by a car.

or something like that...

Thanks for that. It made me smile for the first time tonight. It reminded me of something TS Garp would say which of course, makes it perfectly true.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

About a month ago I was pumping gas and a lady was hit by another car while she was in the crosswalk. While I didnt hit the lady myself, I can somewhat imagine what you are going through. she ended up landing about 10 feet from where I was. That thud is a awful thing to hear so I feel for ya
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Should have done the Double Tap on him. Only way to be sure if he's a zombie.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #29
Axxon
Pro Starter

Oddly enough, the thud is really what I remember too. I can still feel it. Of all my senses, that's the one that was most engaged in the ordeal and that's where I'm remembering it. I only saw him for a second and that was during impact and I didn't hear, taste or smell him. It was only touch and it was a sick feeling because I knew instantly it was a human being but I was so hoping I was wrong.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Should have done the Double Tap on him. Only way to be sure if he's a zombie.

If he was a zombie I already blew it going for the glancing blow instead of the head on insta kill. I may have lived another day with a good Double Tap but I wouldn't survive a week with that kind of driving.

Hey, I take my zombie lore seriously and that movie is definitely my favorite film in years. I'm almost ashamed to realize I just learned that Max Brooks is Mel's son. I have loved his zombie stuff and the enjoyment I've gotten out of that family's works is pretty awesome.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
If he was a zombie I already blew it going for the glancing blow instead of the head on insta kill. I may have lived another day with a good Double Tap but I wouldn't survive a week with that kind of driving.

Hey, I take my zombie lore seriously and that movie is definitely my favorite film in years. I'm almost ashamed to realize I just learned that Max Brooks is Mel's son. I have loved his zombie stuff and the enjoyment I've gotten out of that family's works is pretty awesome.

Brush up on them skills, could be crucial and wear your seatbelt!

In all seriousness though, a broken leg sucks, but, could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I agree, has to be one of my favorite zombie movies for sure. I grew up with the original Dawn of the Dead and a lot of the recent zombie movies have not been very good in my opinion. I didn't realize Max Brooks was Mel's son until after I read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide a couple of years ago. Heck yea, from Young Frankenstein to History of the World Part 1, Blazzing Saddles, some of the best comedies out there.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #32
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Brush up on them skills, could be crucial and wear your seatbelt!

In all seriousness though, a broken leg sucks, but, could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I agree, has to be one of my favorite zombie movies for sure. I grew up with the original Dawn of the Dead and a lot of the recent zombie movies have not been very good in my opinion. I didn't realize Max Brooks was Mel's son until after I read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide a couple of years ago. Heck yea, from Young Frankenstein to History of the World Part 1, Blazzing Saddles, some of the best comedies out there.

Yes, but although it is surely blasphemy I liked the remake of Dawn maybe just a sliver better than the original. Yeah, I said it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #33
Axxon
Pro Starter

dola, I literally hadn't been in a movie theater since at least 1995 or so and that was in another country. I've always wondered which movie would get me back in the theater and there have been several worthy candidates but none did the trick. Zombieland was the one that did it and I really can't wait to see it again. Good times.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, but although it is surely blasphemy I liked the remake of Dawn maybe just a sliver better than the original. Yeah, I said it.

I just don't think they did the running zombies right in the remake, didn't fit. With Zombieland though, it did fit. May have been the cinemaphotography, just liked it better in Zombieland.

Seen Zombieland 3 times so far and would not hesitate to see it again.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #35
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just don't think they did the running zombies right in the remake, didn't fit. With Zombieland though, it did fit. May have been the cinemaphotography, just liked it better in Zombieland.

Seen Zombieland 3 times so far and would not hesitate to see it again.

It's really a different world. The 70's zombies had to deal with a less jaded, less battle hardened enemy. There's no way 70's zombies work in a modern urban setting. After the initial shock wore off we'd have well armed groups of people who'd easily avoid those slow beings that they're no longer really that frightened of.

It's like the mummy. Moves .3 mph and flammable. Just not scary any more.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

and since I can't find the consecutive thread right now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
It's really a different world. The 70's zombies had to deal with a less jaded, less battle hardened enemy. There's no way 70's zombies work in a modern urban setting. After the initial shock wore off we'd have well armed groups of people who'd easily avoid those slow beings that they're no longer really that frightened of.

It's like the mummy. Moves .3 mph and flammable. Just not scary any more.

The slow ones are sneaky though. They may not get you today or tomorrow or even next month, but, they are coming and won't stop, when you least expect it. "Oh man what a nice day. Kinda makes you forget about...ahahhahaggggg!!" Next thing you know, you are a shuffling, brain eating, festering, zombie or just zombie food.

Left for Dead is some good training material and with Left for Dead 2 coming out, there should be more people that can join the ranks of the survivors.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Why is there a beautiful sunset on the side?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #39
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Why is there a beautiful sunset on the side?
I have a dual monitor setup but have everything currently on one monitor so the second one is just desktop.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

I've never played Left for Dead. I'm assuming it's really good. As I understood though it's only multi player online. Is that correct?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #41
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I've never played Left for Dead. I'm assuming it's really good. As I understood though it's only multi player online. Is that correct?

It is really good. I like to play it with all the lights out. I never played online, so not sure about that.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #42
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is really good. I like to play it with all the lights out. I never played online, so not sure about that.

Wow, then I missed the boat on this one. Somehow I remember reading that the game was majorly geared to multi player and single player would not be fun. Thanks for the heads up.

After I tire of Tropico3, Borderlands and FM2010 it'll be next on my list.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #43
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, then I missed the boat on this one. Somehow I remember reading that the game was majorly geared to multi player and single player would not be fun. Thanks for the heads up.

I played multiplayer doing split screen and it is fun. The way the AI is when you do single player is pretty good too though and creapier.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #44
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

While it's his fault, your feelings are normal. Just shows you have a heart. That will change however when some dirtbag lawyer sues you in a few weeks (and this will happen).
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #45
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
While it's his fault, your feelings are normal. Just shows you have a heart. That will change however when some dirtbag lawyer sues you in a few weeks (and this will happen).

Bearing that in mind, I would probably stop talking about it in a public forum, and perhaps even ask a mod to delete this thread. Maybe I'm too jaded.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I never saw him. He tried to make a run from the circle k to the apartments across the street and didn't make it. He was dressed all in black and there were no street lights where he was crossing.

To make matters worse, he ended up getting the ticket. I lost my drivers side mirror but he broke his leg and got a ticket for jaywalking. I know it wasn't my fault at all but I am a long time walker and man, it coulda been me on the other end easily enough. It's pretty easy to misjudge speed and distance, especially at night.
This is why I always use crosswalks and often yell at people who jaywalk when there is a crosswalk 10 feet away. Then when I'm in a car, I scan crosswalks and stop for pedestrians in them, don't drive on sidewalks or go through red lights. When everybody follows the rules, you don't end up involving an innocent person like this.

To echo the thoughts of others, you feel bad because you have empathy for others, but you did nothing wrong. Anyone else here would have hit him, I wish you the best of luck in moving on, and it's only a broken leg, nothing life-threatening.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-05-2009 at 12:35 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good idea, I'll be doing that. Right now I don't even have the complete police report because the guy wouldn't/couldn't identify himself to their satisfaction not giving good name, social ect. but we exchanged information ( cops and I ) so I could get that. They said that the jaywalking ticket was also being written to protect me from any litigation so that'll help but I'm going to make sure to get copies of everything and anything just to be on the safe side.

Axxon, this part's gonna suck, but I highly recommend it.

Sit down at your computer, and write down everything you remember, from just before it happened and until after the cops said you could leave. Every detail, every word spoken that you can remember. Save it and then print it a couple times and store it with important files. Then email yourself the document as well and keep it in your email as an attached email in your long term mail inbox.

You definitely don't want to have to remember details from five years ago in 2014, especially if you're sued.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #48
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Completely understandable to be shaken up. This is the kind of thing you will re-live over and over in your head. Which actually makes CR's advice all the much better by the way. Just keep telling yourself that given the circumstances this was a good outcome. For the both of you.

Time will help, but that doesn't help tonight.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #49
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

I can attest that it is fun by yourself. Probably even more fun with others, but not mandatory.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #50
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm very disappointed with the board that there is no. "So, I just got hit by a guy in a car" thread.

*shakes head*
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote