Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Greedy S.O.B.!

I'm quicksimming a bunch of season, so this doesn't really matter, but I just noticed a guy in the final year of his rookie contract holding out for more money. Pretty cool actually. He led the league with 4,089 passing yards, has a loyalty of a big, fat "0", and his play for winner rating is 95 (and of course, since this is a quicksim, his team sucks). His agent is also a 96 in "stubborn negotiator." I haven't seen a guy this young (5th year) hold out before, but I guess this would be the kind of circumstances under which it would happen.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't had 1 holdout yet in all my seasons, you gotta know how to treat the players
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I had a wide receiver holdout for a new contract after his second year in the league. Of course, he was already the best receiver in the league and ended up with the career records in receptions and yards, so I think he had a point.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I drafted this kid out of Iowa with the 21st pick of the 1st round to take the place of my aging superstar Gene Ballard. His name was Tracy McCloskey. He held out and would not take any of my offers, so I lose him to the next years draft.

I hire a stud scout the next year, and decide to let him pick my players in the draft. Damn if he didn't grab McCloskey with the same pick in the 1st round. I could hear the screams of disdain from every recliner in Texas.

I had to think fast. My 17th year QB was a mentor, so I thought he might help develop the kid. The kid doesn't really develop. So the next year, I notice New Orleans takes a DT with the first pick, leaving Leon Davenport, a RB from UCLA that has his green ratings maxed. I make a deal with Buffalo. QB McCloskey, and my next two year #1 picks. They accept. I get Davenport, and rejoice in the fact I have turned a poor PR situation into one of the great moves in the history of football.

Training camp arrives and we are all giddy as school girls to watch the great Davenport in motion. Graceful as Sayers, as tough as Jim Brown, as productive as Sanders!!

BUST!! Dear lord in heaven, he busted to almost incomprehensible numbers. Are there red lines there? I DONT SEE ANY!!

The football karma police nabbed me. Oh well, it's not like I ran the ball anyway.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I had a QB hold out during the last year of his rookie contract. He sort of fell into my lap during the draft. I had two picks in the first round, grabbing a top-flight running back (Erik Hayes) with the third pick overall and a great receiver (Junior Mandylor) with the 19th pick over all. The second round comes and all of a sudden I have a QB with a current rating of around "20" and a future rating of around "78." This kid, Howard Beyer from Indiana was just amazing. I didn't rightly need a QB at the time, I had a solid veteran and another promising QB developing (more on him later). There was no one comparable (even in the traditionally QB-heavy FOF4 draft), so I took a flier on him. I decided that Hayes-Mandylor-Beyer would become the new "Big Three" ala Aikman-Smith-Irvin. All three were on the "Green Sheet," Beyer rated higher than the other two.

Beyer wasn't ready to start his first year, so he rode the pine. The team did well, making the play-offs, but losing in the Championship game. The next year the Lions began to struggle, coming out of the gate slowly. There was enormous fan pressure to play the kid, especially with all the "experts" (see: Green Sheet) claiming this kid had all the tools to be the next Favre, Montana, or what have you. So, I put him in. He struggles as all rookies do, but ends the season winning the last four games. We went 9-7, but it wasn't enough to make the play-offs. But at that point I knew the team was ready for greatness.

The Big Three were just that. With the addition of a couple solid defensive picks (MLB Frank Murphy) and decent free agent moves, the makings of a dynasty was upon us. The Lions won the Super Bowl with Beyer at the helm. He pulled down Super Bowl MVPs, Offensive MVP, Solecismic MVP, 1st string QB, all of that. He was everything everyone thought he would be. Insane numbers, high rating. It was looking good.

I go through the draft, ready to resume the dynasty, do a little tinkering in free agency, and all of a sudden. What? What is that weird make by Beyer's name? Hold out? HOLD OUT?? Unbelievable. I must have missed the email, but there he was demaning what he thought was rightfully his. I wasn't in the position to break the bank on him (his demands were outrageous). So, I let him sit on the roster, waiting, hoping, praying that he would come to. No luck. He didn't budge. Neither would I. Three games into the regular season, the Lions made perhaps the largest regular season trade in the history of the NFL shipping All-World QB Howard Beyer and a second round pick to Cincinati for SLB Jeremy Short and two first rounders.

With Beyer gone, the team was left with back-up Patrick "Mr. Irrelevant" Kirchoff. Yes sir: 7th Round, 32nd pick. From where? Indiana, of course. He played on the same team as Beyer in college. Kirchoff had ridden the pine for many seasons, but had started to develop nicley, so I kept him around as insurance. A good thing. He was a total boom player. His ratings are fantastic and he led the team to back-to-back Super Bowls. The dynasty everyone had hoped and dreamed for in Detroit came to be. But not, my friends, on the shoulders of some greedy, primadonna second round pick, but on the 224th, and last, man drafted in his year: Patrick Kirchoff...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

and now you know............ the rest of the story.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 02-17-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

I haven't picked the game up in 3 weeks, dreading the prospect of rebuilding my dynasty that included 12 straight seasons of 11 wins or more and 4 superbowls. The QB during that dynasty held out going into the final year of his rookie contract. In four seasons he had won 2 super bowl rings, won mvp 3 times and was a 2 time superbowl MVP, not a bad start. He was scheduled to make 4 mill. in his 5th season, instead he got an insane 175 million dollar deal. He hasn't won MVP since, but has put up amazing numbers running for over 600 yards and throwing for over 3500 yards each year since, except 1 season where he had to sit out 6 games. He also had a 3 year stretch of a qb rating over 105. This last season we were 19-0, i believe that the contract was worth it, however I would have liked to just be able to franchise him for the rest of his career and not have that big contract to worry about.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
I haven't had 1 holdout yet in all my seasons, you gotta know how to treat the players
Yes. Duping them into thinking a huge payday is coming is the only way to keep them happy. Dangle the carrot way out there. :o

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-17-2004 at 12:03 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Yes. Duping them into thinking a huge payday is coming is the only way to keep them happy. Dangle the carrot way out there. :o

They like getting those signing bonuses and maybe they'll get paid!

Last edited by Chubby : 02-17-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
amdaily
College Prospect

This reminds me of one more thing one more thing that needs fixed in a patch: the salary demands of elite players. I may put together a detailed comparison later, but based on the reading of my local sitution in which Tim Couch is scheduled to be the 2nd highest paid QB at $7.5 million next season, FOF salary demands (on the surface) appear way out of wack. An elite FOF QB is going to set a team back $14-17 million. It's awfully hard to field a team with that much money invested in a single player.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
This reminds me of one more thing one more thing that needs fixed in a patch: the salary demands of elite players. I may put together a detailed comparison later, but based on the reading of my local sitution in which Tim Couch is scheduled to be the 2nd highest paid QB at $7.5 million next season, FOF salary demands (on the surface) appear way out of wack. An elite FOF QB is going to set a team back $14-17 million. It's awfully hard to field a team with that much money invested in a single player.

Well, Peyton Manning made alomst 12 million in salary this year, so i think the Colts will quickly get to work on finding out just how hard it is to field a team when they pay him 14 million+ next season.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My two holdouts have been realistic.

One was a fourth round RB who broke out. He got almost 2000 yards of total offense his second year. He held out the next year, and I think that that made sense.

Another was a veteran QB that I picked up for cheap. He started for one year and then demanded starter money.

Both were realistic and added to the challenge of my game. I really like the feature.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I had Todd Pinkston hold out after I signed him to an extension of only the veteran's minimum for 2 years because his ratings were so low. He went out and had a 100 catch season (which I'm still trying to figure that one out - his only rating which was decent was route running at a 55) Anyway, after the 100 catch season he held out until I doubled his contract. It was realistic and I think this is a great feature (although I think holdouts should occur a little more frequently.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
tucker342
Pro Starter

Don't players hold out all the time in the NFL?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote