Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

People/Honesty/Etc.

So last Tuesday, I had to run an errand shortly before lunch-time a few miles north of where I live and work, and since I was near a Sonny's BBQ, I decided to stop, grab a paper, and attempt to put 'em out of business by ordering their all-you-can-eat ribs. Anyway, over the course of eating a while and perusing every section of the paper, either one of two things happened:

1. My mobile phone popped off the clip and fell under the table where I left it
2. I sat it down on the table absent-mindedly, and when I went to the bathroom someone stole it.

At any rate, I didn't realize until very late that night when I was undressing and noticed the empty clip on my belt loop that it was missing. Retracing my steps, I was fairly certain that I had left it at Sonny's. Here's the chronology from then:

WEDNESDAY:
Called Sonny's as soon as they opened. Girl (not the manager) answers the phone, I describe the situation. She says, "Oh yeah, you were reading the paper on the back side of the restaurant, right? I think your server found it. You had Crystal, a tall blonde girl, right?" (I answered in the affirmative.) "Let me check the lost-and-found." {Silence for a while} "Well, it isn't in there, and Crystal won't be in today. Call back tomorrow. She'll be in at lunch-time."

At this point, I'm thinking. "Hmmm...that's a little odd that she would find it, admit finding it to a co-worker, and then take it home rather than putting it in lost and found, but since she told someone, she obviously isn't planning on doing something fishy. I'll call back tomorrow."

THURSDAY:
I call back right at 11AM (opening time). Guy answers the phone. I tell him the situation. He says, "I haven't heard anything about a cell phone, but let me check lost-and-found." (Silence for a while) "Nope, no phone there. Crystal isn't working today. Call back tomorrow."

ME: "Um, I really feel like I'm getting a run-around here. I was told yestereday that she'd be working today."

HIM: "Who told you that?"

ME: "The girl I talked to yesterday. I didn't write her name down, but I'm starting to wish I would have. Is there a manager there I can talk to."

HIM: "Sure"

(Silence)

MANAGER: "May I help you?"

ME: {Explains situation again}

MANAGER: "I'm sorry you think that, but I know she wouldn't have taken it home. It is our policy that any item found would be turned in to lost and phone."

MY INNER MONOLOGUE: And far be it from one of your barely-minimum-wage employees to be dishonest.

ME: "Well, I feel like I'm getting a run-around. Do you mind calling her and asking about the phone. I'm in youth ministry, and it has over 500 names and phone numbers stored in it of kids and parents. That list is very valuable to me, not to mention that it is an expensive phone."

MANAGER: "Sure thing, let me get your info. I'll call you back as soon as I hear from her."

Rest of day I hear nothing....

FRIDAY

At around 9:30am, I decide to do what I've been doing every couple of waking hours since Tuesday: check the mobile phone's voice mail. There is a message on the voicemail: "Hi Jim. {NOTE: I guess my voicemail message sounds like it could be 'Jim' and not 'Ben'.} This is Cheryl, Jamie's mother. She gave me this number to get in touch with her. If she's still with you, have her call me at _______." At first, I was confused. I have a kid involved in YL named Jamie, but I was fairly certain that her mother's first name was not Cheryl. Further, I hadn't seen Jamie since Monday night at the football banquet. However, a bunch of kids had been hanging out at my office on Thursday afternoon, and then we had club on Thursday night. I was fairly certain no 'Jamie' had been there, but sometimes kids show up who I don't know and don't get to meet (particularly the girls--the female leaders make sure to meet any new girls). Point being, I called Cheryl back, still assuming that this was a Young Life-related call.

However, when she answered the phone she said, "I'm Jamie's mother. She called me saying that she didn't know what number she was calling from, but that I should check the caller ID and call her back, and that this was the new number to get in contact with her." Obviously, at that point it clicked, and I told her what was going on. She sounded upset, and said that she'd try to get in touch with Jamie to get my phone back. I asked if Jamie worked at Sonny's, and she said no, but {her exact words, in one of the biggest hick accents I've heard--and I have lived in Georgia all my life, so that's saying something} "She don't live with me no more. She lives near that Sonny's."

I immediately called Cingular (my service provider) at this point and got a list of phone numbers that had been called on my phone since Tuesday at lunch, and then had them disable the phone so that it couldn't receive calls or dial out any more.

Then, I called Cheryl and let her know that the phone was now useless to her daughter, and that she should let her know that there was no reason not to give it back. (Granted, she probably could have taken it to another service provider and gotten service that way, but I had some strong indications that I wasn't exactly dealing with the cream of the crop intellectually here, if you know what I mean....) Cheryl says that she'll try her best, but she hasn't talked to Jamie still because (yeah she said it again) "she don't live with me no more."

I call Sonny's again at 11am. I talk to the manager again, and this time she is outright hostile.

MANAGER: "I talked to Crystal, and she didn't find any cell phone and knows nothing about it. I checked the schedule, and she wasn't working at lunch time on Tuesday. I also talked to all of my employees, and no one knows anything about any cell phone being found this week. I don't know who told you that one was found!"

ME: "Well, I'm not 100% certain that Crystal was her name. The girl I talked with two days ago told me that is who it was. I wish I had written down her name, but I didn't. It was definitely a tall, blonde, white female though. Do you have any other girls who fit that description."

MANAGER: "No, Crystal is the only one, but she wasn't working Tuesday at lunch according to the schedule."

ME: "Were you there Tuesday at lunch?"

MANAGER: "No, but the schedule is always right."

MY INNER MONOLOGUE: "Geez, I guess Boortz is right. Someone has to make the french fries."

ME: "Well, one more question: do you have a Jamie or a Cheryl that works there?"

MANAGER: "No."

MY INNER MONOLOGUE: "Forget it, Ben. It is time to take this to the next level."

ME: "OK, thanks for your help. If you hear anything else, please call me back."

The father of one of my YL kids is a Gwinnett County police officer. Being as this incident happened in Gwinnett, and I had a phone number for Jamie's mother, I thought I might be able to get some action, particularly since I knew a cop in that area. I called him up. He said that with the info I had, he could get some pressure put on Cheryl to give them an address for Jamie, and then be able to get the phone back.

Well, this morning, I got a nice, sweet-sounding message from Jamie, saying verbatim: "Uh yes, hi, my name is Jamie. I'm trying to get in touch with Ben Lewis. My number is ______. I found his cell phone. If you would, just have him give me a call. Thank you." I called her back, and she sweetly tells me that she found my phone and is so glad that she can get it back to me because she knows I need it with so many numbers in it...and because there were so many numbers in it she didn't know where to being in trying to get in touch with me... Also in the course of the conversation, I find out that she's got a small child, is seven months pregnant now, and her mother is picking her up this afternoon to take her to the doctor. I'm supposedly going to meet up with them at a gas station near the doctor's office this afternoon.

Lessons learned:
1. ALWAYS write down names of people you talk to.
2. Having a friend in law enforcement can be extremely helpful at times like this...

I'm still wondering:

1. How Jamie got the phone in the first place?
2. Was the waitress I talked to on Wednesday teling me the truth and the manager was lying through her teeth to me?

At any rate, I'm glad that it looks like this will be resolved by the end of the day.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Sounds like you need Matlock. He always knows what to do.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm glad that it looks like it all worked out for you.

I'm interested if you don't mind sharing: how does running into people like this make you feel about your calling? Do you feel happy knowing that you are doing good for some people who might otherwise turn into cellphone theives or mean managers, or do you get discouraged knowing that no matter how much work you do the world will always be filled with theives and mean managers?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

The providence of God.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode???
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Shady characters working at the Sonny's sounds like.

Good luck on getting your phone back Ben.

(Makes mental note) do not go and eat a the Sonny's in Gwinnett, GA.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My predictions:

1) Either the girl or her mother (or both) will be expecting a nice little "finder's fee".
2) Crystal & Jamie are buddies.
3) The waitress either gave or sold the phone to Jamie.
4) Dealing with white trash (yeah, I said that, somebody can sue me if they like) is always a real joy.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I'm glad that it looks like it all worked out for you.

I'm interested if you don't mind sharing: how does running into people like this make you feel about your calling? Do you feel happy knowing that you are doing good for some people who might otherwise turn into cellphone theives or mean managers, or do you get discouraged knowing that no matter how much work you do the world will always be filled with theives and mean managers?
Definitely the former. It drives me more to make sure we're reaching not just the popular, middle-to-upper-middle-class kids that do tend to dominate our ministry. Compared to all the other youth ministries in our community, we do a good job of reaching different demographics than that, but I wouldn't say that we're close to where we want to be.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
My predictions:

1) Either the girl or her mother (or both) will be expecting a nice little "finder's fee".
2) Crystal & Jamie are buddies.
3) The waitress either gave or sold the phone to Jamie.
4) Dealing with white trash (yeah, I said that, somebody can sue me if they like) is always a real joy.
1. Yeah. I'm thinking I'm going to take $30 cash with me and if they bring it up, that's all they get. I can perhaps play the "I'm-a-poor-underpaid-youth-minister" card.

2. I'm thinking that is the case, but why tell another employee that she had it in the first place. Yes, it is a fairly high-end phone, (Nokia 6800) but not high-end enough to get the amount of cash worth risking what she risked over it.

3. See #2.

4. Fortunately/unfortunately, I have some experience in this area, even dating back to my childhood. I played Little League baseball in the league that was known around Columbus as the white-trash league. There were a few black kids from my neighborhood in the league, but none of us/our parents were responsible for any of the following incidents:

1. a coach throwing a brick at an umpire
2. a coach coming to the park waving a loaded gun in front of his ex-wife and ex-wife's boyfriend, while their kid was on the field watching, crying his eyes out
3. my team, coached by Bill Knighton, being referred to by the other coaches in the league as "Knighton's Niggers", because we had five black guys, out of the 12 players on the team
4. a mother loudly cussing out an umpire on the field after a game

I could go on, but you get the point...
Old 02-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
To bad you're a xian. Us heathens would have started flamethrowing people. Plusses and minuses to everything I suppose.

Last edited by Fritz : 02-03-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Cell phones should be abolished anyways. There are times I wish I still had a sniper rifle when soccer mom is blabbing on the phone in her car completely unaware of what's going on around her.

Why do you think there is a big truck with flashing lights blaring a horn from behind you?!?!?!

Sorry for the rant...

As far as your dilemma 'Dog let God sort em out.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I wish I could get my wallet back. Fortunately, I had cleaned it out just before it was stolen of most everything; I had torn a card holder inside the billfold. The only thing left was my driver's license; military ID, check card, pictures, and 30 dollars in cash.

The card was cancelled immediately; and no charges were made on it. Unfortunately, I'll miss my license (being out of state and in the military...that really sucks), but I'll miss the pictures most of all.

The wallet was taken out of my car. The thief used a huge rock to bust out the passenger window. He left everything else inside, and didn't bother to look at anything. Took the wallet and scrammed.

Knowing the circumstances (my car was parked off the street and not in general view from any street light, but some kids saw me park there), I'd say the kids that saw me park the car were the culprits.

I even spoke to one of their mothers, who claimed she asked him but they weren't out at the time. I hardly believe the boy myself, but that's another matter.

I told her that all I cared about was the IDs. If she could let her son know that maybe he'd know someone that might like to return it, no questions asked. I didn't care about the money in the wallet or the money it cost to replace my window.

It's been a month. No dice. Sadly. Looks like I'll have to retake the exam and driver's test.

Mucho suckage.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
No worries. Since you are from Middle GA I was under the impression your were considered the FOFC Subject Matter Expert in this area anyway
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Alas poor Subby, I know the subject well

I'm freakin' surrounded.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I would like to take this moment to note that none of this would have happened had SkyDog been a vegetarian.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I immediately called Cingular (my service provider) at this point and got a list of phone numbers that had been called on my phone since Tuesday at lunch, and then had them disable the phone so that it couldn't receive calls or dial out any more.

How many calls were made? Aside from the message to her mom, was it obvious from the number of calls that the phone was being used for her personal use? If so, I wouldn't give her a dime for returning it. In fact, you could sue her in small claims court for treble damages for civil theft - that's triple the cost of the phone (at least in Florida it's 3X the amount; not sure about Georgia).

I know you wouldn't do that...but I would.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #17
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ksyrup rules.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #18
The_herd
College Starter

I'm with Ksyrup on this one. I would at least let the girl know that you are looking into some phone calls that were made after the phone disappeared (after getting the phone back of course ) , the reaction to that alone should give you a clue as to what happened and let her know she could be in deep s**t. I definately wouldn't offer money to someone that in all likelyhood tried to steal your phone or at the very least bought a phone that they knew was stolen.

I'm also guessing that since there were so many phone numbers on the phone and she couldn't figure out which was yours, instead of calling numbers in the phone, she called some of her friends to see if they knew whose phone it was.

Sorry, but the wife and I recently went through a situation where someone attempted identity theft and I feel no remorse toward people who do stupid crap like this.

Last edited by The_herd : 02-03-2004 at 11:29 AM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #19
Ksyrup

Honestly, I would only do that if it was clear she had decided to start using the phone on the off-chance she never got caught, or if she gave you crap about returning the phone and not getting a reward, or if it otherwise appeared as if she thought she was getting away with something.

I believe strongly in learning lessons from mistakes. Since she's young with one kid and another on the way, I likely wouldn't attempt to enforce any judgment I got against her, but I'd do it just so she would understand the gravity of her actions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
How many calls were made? Aside from the message to her mom, was it obvious from the number of calls that the phone was being used for her personal use? If so, I wouldn't give her a dime for returning it. In fact, you could sue her in small claims court for treble damages for civil theft - that's triple the cost of the phone (at least in Florida it's 3X the amount; not sure about Georgia).

I know you wouldn't do that...but I would.

Yeah, yeah...make her crack on the stand and break down in tears.

You vindictive lawyer bastard...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Have you ever played a game called "Special places"?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #22
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Have you ever played a game called "Special places"?

Hey, keep that Navy stuff off the forum.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #23
jaeenox
n00b

As a retail manager, I got this problem from the other end recently. I manage a shoe store at a northern beach resort, so in the winter time I am by myself everyday--I am the ONLY employee.

A regular woman customer of mine comes in with a friend and while spending half an hour trying on shoes, the friend gets half a dozen calls on her cell! My stock is partially in an upstairs stockroom, so after 6 or 8 changes of mind, and having to continually run up the steps I am irritated at the lady and her friend is embarrassed by all the calls and her friends dismissive attitude to me. It is obvious she is not really interested in buying a pair of shoes! The friend then says I can't make up my mind with all these interruptions, hold these 4 pairs and I'll come back tommorrow. Great! I've wasted 45 minutes for an "I'll think about it." customer.

So the next morning the two women come in again and the friend is steaming. She asks where is my cell phone in a very hostile tone of voice. I tell her I have no idea unless its on the bench where she was sitting last night. Of course its not on the bench and she accuses me of stealing her phone! I explain to her that I do not have her telephone, that I closed the store 15 min after she left the night before so a customer did not steal it, and that I am the only employee. She goes ballistic and I have to ask them to leave.

The funny thing is I hate cell phones and telephones in general. You could'nt pay me to have a cell phone. I have a regular old fashioned telephone at home. I do not have caller id, call waiting or any of the other fancy stuff available now.

It never occured to this woman that she was the one that LOST her cell phone. I had to be a theif.

So although what happened to Skydog was unfortunate, if you have a cell phone:

1) hang on to it

2) if you do lose it, don't blame others

3) if you have a reasonble suspicion of theft, follow up appropriately like Skydog did, do not make a public scene and accuse a complete stranger of being a thief

Thanks for letting me rant!

Last edited by jaeenox : 02-03-2004 at 11:39 AM.
jaeenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #24
Radii
Head Coach

I ate at that Sonny's last Thursday night. I'll make sure I'm careful with my cell phone if I go back there again :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #25
Airhog
Captain Obvious

AE: I assume you mean you would have to retake the test since it was an out of state license? thats a bummer, but maybe they will make ya a new one or something..

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeenox
As a retail manager, I got this problem from the other end recently. I manage a shoe store at a northern beach resort, so in the winter time I am by myself everyday--I am the ONLY employee.

A regular woman customer of mine comes in with a friend and while spending half an hour trying on shoes, the friend gets half a dozen calls on her cell! My stock is partially in an upstairs stockroom, so after 6 or 8 changes of mind, and having to continually run up the steps I am irritated at the lady and her friend is embarrassed by all the calls and her friends dismissive attitude to me. It is obvious she is not really interested in buying a pair of shoes! The friend then says I can't make up my mind with all these interruptions, hold these 4 pairs and I'll come back tommorrow. Great! I've wasted 45 minutes for an "I'll think about it." customer.

So the next morning the two women come in again and the friend is steaming. She asks where is my cell phone in a very hostile tone of voice. I tell her I have no idea unless its on the bench where she was sitting last night. Of course its not on the bench and she accuses me of stealing her phone! I explain to her that I do not have her telephone, that I closed the store 15 min after she left the night before so a customer did not steal it, and that I am the only employee. She goes ballistic and I have to ask them to leave.

The funny thing is I hate cell phones and telephones in general. You could'nt pay me to have a cell phone. I have a regular old fashioned telephone at home. I do not have caller id, call waiting or any of the other fancy stuff available now.

It never occured to this woman that she was the one that LOST her cell phone. I had to be a theif.

So although what happened to Skydog was unfortunate, but if you have a cell phone:

1) hang on to it

2) if you do lose it, don't blame others

3) if you have a reasonble suspicion of theft, follow up like appropriately like Skydog did, do not make a public scene and accuse a complete stranger of being a thief

Thanks for letting me rant!

That sounds like one of the Married With Children lost episodes...

Last edited by rkmsuf : 02-03-2004 at 11:38 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
AE: I assume you mean you would have to retake the test since it was an out of state license? thats a bummer, but maybe they will make ya a new one or something..

I've checked into that, but unfortunately I will have to retest. I will, however, hold on to my police report (which supposedly is my temporary license) for as long as I can.

This day was bound to come at any rate. The license was technically expired, but still valid as long as I had an active duty military ID. I was simply living on a borrowed 3 years of time.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #28
wig
Banned

Jamie will not accept a banning.
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #29
cuervo72
Head Coach

Unfortunately this reminds me yet again of when we lost one of my son's blankies in Carrabas while visiting the in-laws last summer (my son still cries wanting his "lost blankie" every now and then, two nights ago was one of those nights). We realized blankie was missing a few hours after leaving the restaurant, so we headed back there to try to find it. I know for a fact he brought it in with him, as I had to pick it up off the floor and then put it between he and the side of the booth. Well, we called first, and nobody had found it. We stopped by later that night and they hadn't found it, and the hostess made a quick check under the booth. We came back the next morning before they opened to check in the booth, underneath the booth, and in the bathroom. No blanket.

The only thing we can think of is that a) somebody found it and took it (why???), b) it was thrown out by a busboy or c) it got mixed in with the napkins and sent to be cleaned. In the final two cases, I'd think that one could easily discern a light blue blanket from trash or napkins, but who knows.

The strange thing about that was that earlier that day, my son and I had a discussion about that blankie and how we "fixed its boo-boo"; the previous Halloween it was too close to a pumpkin carving pattern, and I inadvertantly snipped it a little. We took it to the cleaners and had it sewn up. It was just odd that we had a long talk about it the same day it became lost.

Just wanted to share that...may not be too relevant to the conversation, but it's something I will probably always feel a little bad about for how sad it made/makes my son.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Unfortunately this reminds me yet again of when we lost one of my son's blankies in Carrabas while visiting the in-laws last summer (my son still cries wanting his "lost blankie" every now and then, two nights ago was one of those nights). We realized blankie was missing a few hours after leaving the restaurant, so we headed back there to try to find it. I know for a fact he brought it in with him, as I had to pick it up off the floor and then put it between he and the side of the booth. Well, we called first, and nobody had found it. We stopped by later that night and they hadn't found it, and the hostess made a quick check under the booth. We came back the next morning before they opened to check in the booth, underneath the booth, and in the bathroom. No blanket.

The only thing we can think of is that a) somebody found it and took it (why???), b) it was thrown out by a busboy or c) it got mixed in with the napkins and sent to be cleaned. In the final two cases, I'd think that one could easily discern a light blue blanket from trash or napkins, but who knows.

The strange thing about that was that earlier that day, my son and I had a discussion about that blankie and how we "fixed its boo-boo"; the previous Halloween it was too close to a pumpkin carving pattern, and I inadvertantly snipped it a little. We took it to the cleaners and had it sewn up. It was just odd that we had a long talk about it the same day it became lost.

Just wanted to share that...may not be too relevant to the conversation, but it's something I will probably always feel a little bad about for how sad it made/makes my son.

Come on, we all know it was your blankie...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:00 PM   #31
Desnudo
Coordinator

I like how you handled that situation Sky. The movie "Relentless" comes to mind.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #32
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
. In fact, you could sue her in small claims court for treble damages for civil theft - that's triple the cost of the phone (at least in Florida it's 3X the amount; not sure about Georgia).

I am pretty sure treble means triple in all states except Arkansas, where it is a kind of cheap wine.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I ate at that Sonny's last Thursday night. I'll make sure I'm careful with my cell phone if I go back there again :P

*points finger* CLEARLY YOU STOLE IT!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #34
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Restaurants like this give me a bad name.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 02-03-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #35
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

Made me think of this....

"So how did you get a rental car, anyway?"
"Oh, *chuckle* *chuckle*, I sold the gal behind the counter some shower curtain rings."
(serious)"Del, you can't rent a car with shower curtain rings."
(slowly)"Well, (pause) somehow your Diner's Club wound up in my wallet."
"YOU STOLE IT!"
"No, I didn't!"
"Yes, you did, you went into my wallet, you took it out and, YOU STOLE IT!"
"No, I thought you put it there."
"WHY, would I put it there?"
"Kindness?"
"Kindness? Kindness? YOU STOLE IT!" ... "Give it back!"
"I can't"
"Why not?"
"Because"
"Because why?"
"Because when we stopped to gas up, I put the card back in your wallet."
Old 02-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeenox
3) if you have a reasonble suspicion of theft, follow up appropriately like Skydog did, do not make a public scene and accuse a complete stranger of being a thief

Bingo! I can't tell you how many times guests at OG have misplaced their phones and then flew into a rampage, only to later find it in their car. Most of the time they blame the bussers, simply because they're Mexican. Just because they don't speak English doesn't mean that they're dishonest, people...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:17 PM   #37
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
I am pretty sure treble means triple in all states except Arkansas, where it is a kind of cheap wine.

I believe it's corn mash from the still, not wine.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #39
sjshaw
lolzcat

2 observations:

1. You better not eat at that place anymore, unless you like pube-flavored ribs.
2. If you expect the worst from people, you will never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised the .00001% of the time that people don't act like the animals we are.

Last edited by sjshaw : 02-03-2004 at 03:59 PM.
sjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #40
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Sounds like you need Matlock. He always knows what to do.

And you would have had the phone back in 60 minutes (minus commercials).
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #41
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I think we all learned a lesson here: Jamie don't live with her mama no more. She lives near that Sonny's.

I think we need to pray for Jamie's unborn child. Think how much of a chance it'll have...

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 02-03-2004 at 06:34 PM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #42
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

If I lose my cellphone or credit card I have it deactivated instantly. They are pretty sympathetic at the company cause it happens all the time.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #43
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
And you would have had the phone back in 60 minutes (minus commercials).

Naw, this would have only been the case if Jamie had killed SkyDog and taken his cell phone. His next of kin would have got the cell phone back in 60 minutes (minus commercials).
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #44
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz

I thought it was the thing that's so hard to adjust on your car stereo.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 AM   #45
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshaw
2. If you expect the worst from people, you will never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised the .00001% of the time that people don't act like the animals we are.

My thoughts exactly...
Old 02-04-2004, 03:40 AM   #46
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
So last Tuesday, I had to run an errand shortly before lunch-time a few miles north of where I live and work, and since I was near a Sonny's BBQ, I decided to stop, grab a paper, and attempt to put 'em out of business by ordering their all-you-can-eat ribs.

This didn't turn out the way I thought it would.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #47
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
This didn't turn out the way I thought it would.

What, you were expecting burning anus, part 2?

Me, too!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:08 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

Well, "there was an emergency with her youngest child, she's at the dentist's office" happened yesterday afternoon, and despite a promised call-back, nothing. I'll be calling again in a few minutes.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #49
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Bummer.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #50
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Well, "there was an emergency with her youngest child, she's at the dentist's office" happened yesterday afternoon, and despite a promised call-back, nothing. I'll be calling again in a few minutes.
If they give you the blow-off this time, just let the police handle it, SkyDog.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote