Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2004, 05:22 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FBCB Question

I haven't had a lot of time for text simming lately, but I think I'm going to return to my FBCB career next week. I started this career with 1.07, on the hardest level, with limited conference movement, with Savannah State (initial prestige=0). Based on reading HR's conference movement explanation, and looking at the Prestige of the worst teams in Level 2 conferences in my part of the country, I'm guessing I'll get invited into the Atlantic Sun or Southern Conference pretty soon, which brings me to my question:

What is the "most fun" way to play a long-term career? Should my goal be to elevate Savannah State into the ACC or SEC, or should my goal be to move up to higher-prestige schools until I land a job in an elite conference? Is it even POSSIBLE to elevate a school like Savannah State past a certain level? Here's my History so far:

Code:
Savannah State Historical Performances Season W L CW CL Rank RPI Prs Result -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2010 21 9 0 0 84 106 33 Loss in NIT Preliminary Round 2009 25 6 0 0 63 70 33 Loss in NIT Round 2 2008 22 7 0 0 86 110 29 Loss in NIT Round 1 2007 17 12 0 0 165 238 27 No Postseason 2006 13 15 0 0 308 305 22 No Postseason 2005 16 13 0 0 215 300 17 No Postseason 2004 2 26 0 0 327 327 10 No Postseason 2003 14 15 0 0 306 302 6 No Postseason

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's a good question, and I think there are basically competing camps, some like to stick with one team and see how high they can go, but the problem is that most teams are pretty much capped by their conference prestige level, their prestige can only go so high. If you're playing with the conferences improve with prestige option (or whatever it's called) this might be different, but you'll probably find that the only way that Savannah State can really make a difference is to move up several times. With limited conference movement (instead of the full movement) this might take some time, since only a few teams move up or down each year.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

dola - I personally find that it's fun to be able to switch teams, but to have an overall goal. Like right now I am running horrible team Coastal Carolina, but my goal is to move up to better teams in the North/South Carolina area, and eventually to an ACC school, ideally North Carolina.

That way you don't feel like you're jumping from random job to random job, it keeps the feel of a dynasty a little more together in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
dola - I personally find that it's fun to be able to switch teams, but to have an overall goal. Like right now I am running horrible team Coastal Carolina, but my goal is to move up to better teams in the North/South Carolina area, and eventually to an ACC school, ideally North Carolina.

That way you don't feel like you're jumping from random job to random job, it keeps the feel of a dynasty a little more together in my opinion.
Yeah. I'd never take the job at, say, Long Beach State. If I move up, I'd want to do it within the Georgia and Alabama schools. Georgia State has won the Atlantic Sun tourney five times in eight years. If I go for another job, that would be an ideal "next step" for me I think.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Sorta mailed it in for 2004, eh Coach?

Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Just a note Skydog, I find it very difficult to play the Independent teams. Having no conference games gives me no structure, and I found it pretty difficult to move up from there into a conference, even with several good years. I hope you have better luck than I did!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Sorta mailed it in for 2004, eh Coach?

I think I over-reached a tiny bit in my scheduling that year...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I personally think that it would be fun to stay with the same team, and take them through conference promotions.

The exciting thing for me, when switching teams, is not necessarily that I'm controlling a new team, but that I have a different schedule to play -- better opponents.

I also feel like, when switching teams, that I lose a sense of history. Go to look at the career records, and all those names are unfamiliar...

So the conference promotion option suits me.

By the way, with Savannah State, do you schedule ALL the games in a year yourself, or are some prearranged for you?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
I personally think that it would be fun to stay with the same team, and take them through conference promotions.

The exciting thing for me, when switching teams, is not necessarily that I'm controlling a new team, but that I have a different schedule to play -- better opponents.

I also feel like, when switching teams, that I lose a sense of history. Go to look at the career records, and all those names are unfamiliar...

So the conference promotion option suits me.

By the way, with Savannah State, do you schedule ALL the games in a year yourself, or are some prearranged for you?
Right now I'm scheduling them all myself. My #1 goal right now is to get into a conference, so I look at the lower-prestige teams from level 2 conferences in the southeast, and try to schedule games with all of them, assuming that I can add a defeat to their record and hasten my replacing them.

Similarly, I avoid playing the top teams in the level 2 conferences now that I'm usually better than them. I want to help create as much of a divide as possible between the top-tier level 2 conference teams and the bottom-tier level 2 conference teams.

Finally, I schedule games with lesser schools from major conferences. I figure an upset win over a school who might upset an elite team would be a good thing.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

Back in the saddle. Firing up FBCB to play as long as I am awake this evening (but I'm pretty tired.) It is time to get Savannah State into a conference.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I moved up with Savannah State to the Atlantic sun is year 1. I got them up to a level 3 prestige conferencebefore getting canned. I think I got them to the elite eight on year.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Golden:

On limited movement? There are only two teams in the Atlantic Sun that I'm eligible to replace even with my Prestige up at 33. Florida Atlantic (16), Campbell (17) and UCF (17) are the only ones low enough. I'm just waiting on one of them to finish last.