Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

New Years' Eve Plans

OK. It is 7:28pm (EST) on New Years' Eve right now, and there are 65 people online at FOFC. I'll be the first to say that I haven't "celebrated" this strange holiday since I was in my teens. Now, it comes on the heels of the fall--where nearly all of my Friday nights, and some Saturdays, are spent with adolescents--and then the travel of the holidays. We treat it like a gift--a "weekend night" where we can be at home and relax. SWMBO is cooking up a good-smelling meal with ginger salmon as the main course, and afterwards she'll watch TV, and I'll be at the computer. A perfect, restful evening (probably capped off with a little bedroom frolickin' ).

I'm curious if any others (particularly the old married farts) are pretty much doing the same thing this evening, or if SWMBO and I are just sticks-in-the-mud (not that we care if we are ).

Thoughts?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

I guess I'm one of the old married farts. Its a 4-day weekend for the Army, and the wife and I have absolutely no plans this year. Last year we had a couple drinks at home, but this year we didn't even bother buying anything to drink. I can actually feel myself getting older now, I think.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

The girlfriend and I are going to go out to dinner, then rent a movie and sip some wine. Just a nice, quiet night at home for us too...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Im curious what SWMBO stands for....

Skydog's
Wife
Married
Body
Odor

Has anyone see the deodorant commerical with the fouseball (sp?) table and the guy, who looks like SkyDog, forgot to where his deo. All the figures and eveyone else passes out. I wonder if there is a correlation...
Old 12-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

It's 1:40 AM here, I had no plans, didn't nothing, fell asleep at 9 PM, just waking up.

so : Happy new year.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

the tradition at my house is to go get a ton of junk food and hang out with the kids in front of the tv all night.

Since I can't stand watching tv... I get to hang out on the computer.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Im curious what SWMBO stands for....

Skydog's
Wife
Married
Body
Odor

Has anyone see the deodorant commerical with the fouseball (sp?) table and the guy, who looks like SkyDog, forgot to where his deo. All the figures and eveyone else passes out. I wonder if there is a correlation...

She who must be obeyed

And My new year plans are putting the kids to bed and maybe actually having time for myself.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:46 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Has anyone see the deodorant commerical with the fouseball (sp?) table and the guy, who looks like SkyDog...

Isn't that Warren Sapp?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

This is the first New Year's Eve that I will be sitting at home doing nothing whatsoever in about 7 or 8 years. I was depressed about it...but seeing as how I'm not the only loser on the entire planet tonight, considering the responses, I feel much better.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:48 PM   #10
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Isn't that Warren Sapp?

Yes that's Sapp, was about the 5th time I saw the comercial before I realized it.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:49 PM   #11
AnalBumCover
College Starter

any chance on passing along the recipe for the ginger salmon? sounds good!
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

I've got some brats boiling, the grill waiting, and plenty of barbecue sauce. We're having some friends over for dinner, games, drinks, maybe a gangbang.

Might need some more barbecue sauce.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I've got some brats boiling, the grill waiting, and plenty of barbecue sauce. We're having some friends over for dinner, games, drinks, maybe a gangbang.

Might need some more barbecue sauce.

I thought this was a typical day in Wisconsin?
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by AnalBumCover
any chance on passing along the recipe for the ginger salmon? sounds good!
Just asked her. She said it is very simple. Just put a liberal amount of soy sauce on the salmon, and sprinkle it with ground ginger. Let it marinade for 30-45 minutes. You can bake it in the oven, or cook it on the grill.

In my opinion, there is enough flavor with the soy and ginger marinade that it isn't worth firing up the grill. Just bake it. That's what we're doing tonight.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 PM   #15
AnalBumCover
College Starter

any chance on passing along the recipe for a celebratory new year barbecue sauce gangbang? sounds grand!
Old 12-31-2003, 06:55 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
This is the first New Year's Eve that I will be sitting at home doing nothing whatsoever in about 7 or 8 years. I was depressed about it...but seeing as how I'm not the only loser on the entire planet tonight, considering the responses, I feel much better.
I think Dec. 31, 1999/Jan. 1, 2000 was the last time I was even awake at midnight on New Years' Eve/New Years' Day.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:56 PM   #17
AnalBumCover
College Starter

SkyDog. Sounds like if you add juice from an orange and a bit of sugar to the marinade, you have yourself a teriyaki salmon.

[edited to remove dola]

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-31-2003 at 06:56 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I think Dec. 31, 1999/Jan. 1, 2000 was the last time I was even awake at midnight on New Years' Eve/New Years' Day.

This officially places you in the catagory of "old man" along with Bucc.

(Edit: I can't remember the last time I was asleep before midnight on any night, let along New Year's)

Last edited by sabotai : 12-31-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:05 PM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I am going to a party here shortly.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:06 PM   #20
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I thought this was a typical day in Wisconsin?

The typical day in Wisconsin is to wake up, check the Brett Farve heart monitor that sends out his heart beat to every Wisconsinite to ensure his safety. Crack open a Pabst, just to lighten the head ache. Got the fridge, make sure the keg isn't empty, take the morning pee in the sink/clean dishes if necessary. From there just go where the haze takes you.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:07 PM   #21
TLK
Pro Starter

It's a lot cheaper to stay at home and drink......
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:26 PM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Going over to a friends place for a little New Years get-together. This is also my anniversary. It's now been three years with my current girlfriend... yikes.

To reward her, I forked over some heavy cash for diamond earrings (I even know what a "Princess" cut is now ). She'd better like them!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:29 PM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

but more on topic. I think much too much is made of the evening. i hate going out to clubs and such, or paying 10x what I usually would to drink/eat anything. I'd much rather spend it fairly quietly, catching up with a few friends I only see 3-4 times a year.

Me and most of my friends definitely do our best to get together on New Year's Eve.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:29 PM   #24
FBPro
College Starter

Well, wife is working so I'll just watch some TV, play some text sports sim and drink some diet pepsi......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:29 PM   #25
digamma
Torchbearer

Going to dinner with one other couple. That is about it. Avoiding all parties and looking forward to a day of football tomorrow!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:32 PM   #26
hukarez
College Starter

To be honest - I've slept through the past couple of New Year's event. My friends and I have this weird superstition and all - that the first person that you see with your eyes (not counting pictures, or television, but actual individuals) will 'determine how the rest of your year will go'. (i.e. If the first person you see has had a successful year, yours will be too. Vice versa, etc.)

I don't pay much attention to it. But in any case, I'm probably heading out to whatever local coffee shop is open, and play around with a guitar to while away the hours.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:50 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm on call tonight (and for the next 110 hours straight) and my wife is working until 11:00 PM. Since kids are off throughout the weekend and therfore should still be on "good behavior" I expect a quiet call tonight. Last night I didn't have to leave my place once to see any kids Hopefully, my wife will make it home by midnight so we can celebrate which we hopefully will be doing like Skydog and his significant other.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:03 PM   #28
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking!

I guess Ill just be Deer Brinking

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:30 PM   #29
Jon
High School Varsity

My girlfriend and I went to a nice Moroccan place near where we live in Jersey City, came home, and are just chilling until midnite to have a little champagne.
Two years ago we went to a Thai place and both came down with food poisoning, where we missed a week of work/school. Last year we went to a party and I hurt my back. So we now stay close to home and just chill.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:59 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just finished watching one of my favorite movies of all time, Planes/Trains/Automobiles. And yes, the last time I was awake at midnight NY's Eve was a looooong time ago.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:01 PM   #31
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking! Deer Brinking!

I guess Ill just be Deer Brinking

And by the end you won't be as thunk as we drink you are?
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:05 PM   #32
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

dola.

Mrs. Gawd and I haven't celebrated New Year's Eve in any real fashion since our oldest was born. Even before it was mostly just us and a couple of friends or family at somebody's house.

Tonight, we went out for Italian food, stopped off at Target to pick up a couple of things, and came home. Mrs. Gawd and the smaller of the boys are playing Scrabble in the Master Bedroom, I'm in the den watching Ken Burns' Baseball (which I got for Christmas), getting ready to write a few more posts for the Five Great QBs dynasty, and typing away at the laptop.

My oldest boy is playing with a Transformer he got with some money he was given for Christmas.

My wife will probably sack out sometime between 10 and 11. I usually stay up with the boys until Midnight...it's the one day out of the year I let them stay up past about 9 or 9:30, so they think it's pretty cool. We'll probably watch a DVD and play with the XBox a bit.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:49 PM   #33
Tasan
College Starter

I'm watching reruns of StarGate SG1 I taped over the holidays while sitting in the livingroom with the Mrs. We'll watch the ball drop and then get some sleep more than likely.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:54 PM   #34
Primal
High School JV

It’s just too hard to find a babysitter on New Years. We’ve been ordering Chinese and renting movies for the past few years and its continuing tonight.

At least my wife stocked the bar for the night.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:55 PM   #35
Franklinnoble
Banned

Re: New Years' Eve Plans

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
OK. It is 7:28pm (EST) on New Years' Eve right now, and there are 65 people online at FOFC. I'll be the first to say that I haven't "celebrated" this strange holiday since I was in my teens. Now, it comes on the heels of the fall--where nearly all of my Friday nights, and some Saturdays, are spent with adolescents--and then the travel of the holidays. We treat it like a gift--a "weekend night" where we can be at home and relax. SWMBO is cooking up a good-smelling meal with ginger salmon as the main course, and afterwards she'll watch TV, and I'll be at the computer. A perfect, restful evening (probably capped off with a little bedroom frolickin' ).

I'm curious if any others (particularly the old married farts) are pretty much doing the same thing this evening, or if SWMBO and I are just sticks-in-the-mud (not that we care if we are ).

Thoughts?

That's pretty close to what I'm doing out here in N. Cal. Just kickin' it at home with the wife and kids (not much you can do with a 3 month old baby). I spent most of the evening thus far setting up my new 802.11g wireless LAN. We hade homemade ravioli for dinner, and are gonna bust out the Martinelli's around midnight and maybe enjoy some chips and homemade salsa.

I'm not gonna divulge details about any subsequent "frolickin'" - much to the relief of this board, I'm sure.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My fiancee and I played Mario Party 5, got in bed and watched television, and now we're up at our computers practicing end zone celebrations. I just came up with one that I call "The Avocado Bake" and she just invented the "Mosquito Roll." I'm e-mailing the Broncos tonight with details, hoping that Shannon Sharpe does at least one of them on Sunday.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:14 PM   #37
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Bah, I'm at work, the least fun way to spend any kind of holiday night.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:38 PM   #38
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine
Bah, I'm at work, the least fun way to spend any kind of holiday night.

That is not right. Happy New Year anyways.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #39
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

I never thought i'd see the day when i was browsing a message board as the clock struck 12 on new years............Man, am i old and moldy. =/
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 AM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

I was playing KOTOR while South Park played on the tellie.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #41
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Heh I just got KOTOR, Sabotai, I'm still trying to get into it. Can't decide if I like it or not.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #42
sabotai
General Manager

It took me awhile to get into it, too. I was turned off by a few things, but it grew on me and I kind o fgot lost in the story and forgot about my little annoyances with the game.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:12 AM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just got back from a bash.

Of the 200 people who showed during the night, I was one of 10 or so who stayed sober (I don't drink, smoke, etc, never have wanted to, odd, but still). People were drunk as hell, tripping on E, stoned, it was insane.

I may not live their kind of lifes but those people still make for some entertainment.

Cops broke it up, sent everyone home, but it was festive.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #44
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
It took me awhile to get into it, too. I was turned off by a few things, but it grew on me and I kind o fgot lost in the story and forgot about my little annoyances with the game.

I bought this one Pre-Played from Blockbuster (XBox version) and fired it up for the first time at 11 AM on Tuesday when I was home playing Mr. Mom for one of my sick kids. Next time I looked at a clock it was 6 PM, and I was still playing.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:11 PM   #45
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I went out to a club, had a lot of fun and met a lot of nice, wholesome females Spent a lot of cash but, its New Year's and some friends were in town I hadn't seen in a while, so it was worth it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #46
Radii
Head Coach

Went to a small party w/ the fiancee, dropped her son off at her parents for the night. This is only the second year I've ever gone out for new years. Its traditionally been a day to hang out w/ my family, but my fiancee thought it sounded strange to stay home on new years and always goes out ,and I don't make the rules anymore, so we went out Had a lot of fun.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

You sticks in the mud! 3:35 PM and I just woke up from an awesome night... man it was so fun. You guys need to start partying on New Years Eye 2004 next time!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #48
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
You sticks in the mud! 3:35 PM and I just woke up from an awesome night... man it was so fun. You guys need to start partying on New Years Eye 2004 next time!

Ooooh, our little boy finally got to go out for NY Eve (and probably did things that were illegal to prove that he is a man ). Listen punk, most of us (including me) have been there, done that. And you are telling US to start partying??

New Year's Resolution broken #3.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #49
korme
Go Reds

START PARTYING YOU OLD BASTARD. I do not take in anything to prove I am a man. I only prove such things to my lady friends.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #50
McSweeny
College Starter

i drove down to Long Island to see a friend of mine i hadn't seen in awhile. Went to a party with a bunch of her friends. Drank and didn't get to bed(er... the floor) until 6am. Best New Year's i've had in a few years
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote