Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FOF 2004: Post-5.0b Bugs/Tweaks/Issues

I've noticed a handful of posts over the past couple of weeks. I thought it would be good to consolidate once again. I think Jim has mentioned that he's going to do an HTML patch at some point, so it makes sense to give him a handy place to see what other issues he might want to address in another patch. Please post your bugs/tweaks/issues in this thread. I'll keep it stickied for the day, and after that, it will be accessible via the reference sticky thread.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-23-2003 at 06:46 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Bug: If you switch back and forth between new construction and renovation on the stadium proposal screen, the completion year turns to gibberish (sort of).

Issue: No tracking of special teams plays, tackles, etc. Special teams tackles get lumped into the general category. How can I tell if my gunner's doing anything worthwhile? Also, holders and long snappers -- no statistical feedback at all, thus I have no quantitative idea if that worthless QB with 95 holding is better to
keep than the other guy who has much better QB skills but only 49 holding.

Issue: Player of the week awards, and hall of fame. Stills seems spotty at best. Guys who statistically had vastly superior weeks are being passed over for POTW awards. After 30 years the hall of fame is about 50-60% QB's. OL almost never make the hall.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

RFE: Put full play information from scoreboard into game logs. With multiplayer leagues going slower, we're paying more attention to game logs and tweaking gameplans, but we're missing key bits from the scoreboard play-by-play like "defense was very familiar with play" and what the offensive/defensive playcalls were. Make this an option if disk space is a concern.

RFE: Let players save their turn in a multiplayer game, so they can work on it over multiple sessions (i.e. bench a couple of guys, shut down, restart, work on the depth chart, etc). We can work on gameplans offline thanks to the Load/Save gameplan feature and the external editors, but nothing else during the season.

[EDIT] RFE: Remember where I placed all the game windows and put them back there the next time I open the game. Or come up with a default placement that has them all open and visible.

Last edited by gstelmack : 12-23-2003 at 08:09 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Tweak: Change the QB Comparison screen so there is a way to separate current starters from historical players, possibly in a separate tab? After playing 20-30 seasons, the sheer numbers of players listed here makes it awkward to find the current QBs.

Issue: Player of the Week awards (again) -- Very often dominating defensive performances will be left off the list entirely, I have noted this happening 10-15 times when a player has more than 11-12 tackles in a game.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:19 AM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
[EDIT] RFE: Remember where I placed all the game windows and put them back there the next time I open the game. Or come up with a default placement that has them all open and visible.

gstelmack, This thread should help you with this issue, you can put the windows where you want them with a little experimentation:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...threadid=19027
Old 12-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

- All-League Selections :
The selection process is very strangely done, especially with Quarterbacks. Very deserving players are overlooked for much less deserving ones.

(little bug : in the Yearly awards screen, the title is displayed as "All-League 1st STRING" and "All-League 2nd STRING" instead of All-League 1st-TEAM as it is correctly mentionned in the player's card honor box. This is journalist' talk, not proper institutional label)

- I won't comment any further on my elicencing compatibility issues with FOF2 as I can't play both games anymore and it hurts me.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

dola :

YES, obviously the "Players of the Week" selection is awkward too. I experience that week in week out.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

These are "ease of use" suggestions that would make my *personal* routine much quicker if they were implemented. I would hope others would find a use for them as well.

1. On the player roster screen we currently see how many players we have under contract and active. I would like to see how many players I have inactive as well on that screen. So when player injuries build up and guys are on the IR, I don't have to count all my inactive each week, I can just look at the top of the screen to see how many I have on my inactive list (not IR). This would be helpful so I know how many inactive players I need to cut to get down to 7 when I am racked with injuries from starters. If it says 8, I know I need to release one more guy from my inactive list. Just seems easier than, "one...two...three...four..." You know the gig.

2. I would like to see a new screen added that shows me that I am required to have 3 QB's and I presently have X ammount of QB's, I need 3 RB's and I have X ammount of RB's....and so on, so when I am doing free agency and the draft, I have easy access to this information instead of doing the constant "head count".

3. I would still really like to see the "Free Agents" from the team list to be at the bottom of the list as well as the top of the list, for easy linking to when you play a team like Washington.

In the "it sure would be nice" category.

1. Perhaps a new window, similar to the "Past Super Bowl Champs". But this would show every "NFC" Championship Game list and score and every "AFC" Championship Game (list and score). I really dig looking at old scores of important games.

And in the "if it's only cosmetic, why have it" category.

1. Maybe it's time for the LT/RT designations to go away. If a RT loses experience/potential when switching to LT, why are there no penalties when he plays in the LT's stead? At least that's the way I've read that in the past.

And last but not least, perhaps a warning for somebody who's "probable" but still recovering from a more serious injury. When I have a player who is probable, it's not big deal to start him. But when I have a player who's been "OUT" for 54 weeks with a compound leg fracture, and I start him when he's upgraded all the way to "probable", he has a much larger chance of getting a serious injury again. Is this because he's still recovering or is he just that injury prone now? If it's because his leg is still recovering, a message stating, "The trainer thinks it's unwise for Player X to be activated until his serious injury is completely healed." would be helpful.

Just some minor tweak suggestions.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-23-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Could that be possible to have a simple option at the beginning of every career asking the player to choose if he wants his game to have the following :

LT/RT - LDE/RDE and so on...

OR

the basic
T - G - DE - CB
Old 12-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Low priority:

I would like to see a return of chemistry distictions on the player card.

I think that chemistry is very important, and it would be nice to see at a glance who is going to conflict or not without having to compute based on birthdays.

If the Zodiac thing gets too many people's panties in a wad, perhaps replace it with colors, numbers, or some other random way to tell chemisty at a glance.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #11
Tasan
College Starter

Several people, including myself, have not found a way to unlicense FOF2k4. See this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...hlight=viatech
Old 12-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

I would like to know during the FA period players who have been injured. You can guess by looking at a starters starts each year, but you really don't know if it was a serious injury or just sitting out because of a team out of the playoffs.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:42 AM   #13
Fido
High School Varsity

Since we're listing enhancements as well -

I would like to see a persistent list of each players's transactions like in OOTP. This would include Draft information, contract signings, cuts.

Add to above injuries along these lines: "2006 - missed 5 games with strained knee ligaments"

Add to above tracking of career milestones - "2006 - scored first professsional touchdown against Green Bay in Week 6".

Add to above inclusion of majoe games (> 200 yds rushing, > 400 yds passing, more than three TDs, more than 3 sacks) "2006 - threw for 412 yards against Green Bay in Week 6"

I just think this would help develop a stringer bond with your players.

Last edited by Fido : 12-23-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:58 AM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

bug: Ticket prices. You can seemingly change them at any point during the season.

My gripe actually is the fact that in the offseason, you can only change ticket prices by using the clickable up/down arrows.. can we please restore the ability to click the box and type in the price? (BTW, you can type in the amount during the season).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:01 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I plead for this option: the ability to "set all players to active"

an "Activate All" button would be very helpful to me when making roster decisions in the pre-season. I don't know if it's just the way I do things (or if others would agree), but at the end of the preseason I like to activate everyone, then pare down accordingly.

I just want to save myself 13 mouse clicks.

bug?, request Allow us to have more than 46 players active in the preseason.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 12-23-2003 at 12:06 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #16
digamma
Torchbearer

Just a request that might add a little something...

when searching for players using the recommend feature, it would be great if you could, say, search for all positions but, x, y, or z.

I think this would be helpful when you are looking for Undrafted Free Agents and are looking for the best prospects available--and not necessarily by position. Inevitably the guys with the highest ratings post-draft are punters and kickers. I'd love to be able to search without those guys in there.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #17
Peregrine
Pro Starter

To add a "neat to see" feature:

Keep track of how many Solecismic Bowls players have played in. It would be great to look back years later and see that, and I think it would add a nice new dimension to the Hall of Fame stats (right now it's hard to tell if a given player led his team to three championships or toiled for the worst team in the league.)
Old 12-23-2003, 12:36 PM   #18
PSUColonel1

Issue: Computer teams select seemingly improper franchise players each year
Old 12-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
If the Zodiac thing gets too many people's panties in a wad, perhaps replace it with colors, numbers, or some other random way to tell chemisty at a glance.

There might be another way to go too, now that you mention this.

How about pro/con emails from players about potential signings? It's an idea executed already in EWR, where you'll hear from workers on your roster if they'll be upset by the addition of a signee you're negotiating with.

Given the amount of pull that players seem to have in this day & age, it doesn't seem entirely unrealistic that they might relate their displeasure about the possibility of you bringing in someone they hate.

At least emails of impending conflicts from existing position leaders.

That addresses the need while not putting the zodiac issue back to the forefront visually.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

That's an excellent idea Jon, but we have to keep in mind that I doubt Jim is going to add a whole lot of substance to a new patch. If anything he may be willing to rework a few screens, add a few screens, or modify some of the current code. I doubt he will add in a lot of e-mail feedback. I would hope that will be added in later versions. Of course, it's not like Jim doesn't surprise us every once in a while by offering more than he's promised.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 PM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm at my wife's parents so I don't have the game with me, but I noticed a couple of passing formations where both recievers listed are the same. I specifically remember a one TE formation where both recievers listed are TE.

I also think the coordinator's pay gets way too high. It seems that they get paid at the rate of head coaches. This quickly leads to a very inflated total payout for your coaches.

There are some players missing, but I don't know if this will be fixed. I follow the Bengals and I don't see Jeremi Johnson who was drafted in the fourt or fifth round but Kooistra is there and he was drafted in round seven. A real roster update would be great, but probablywill be a third party thing.

I think its too easy tget multiple first round picks for god players. This should be almost impossible.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:34 AM   #22
Ben E Lou

Bump--unstick.

I you need to find this after it gets bumped down, it is now linked in the reference sticky.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:59 AM   #23
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I would really like to see a new game log for multiplayer, one that basically gives the play-by-play that you would have seen on the scoreboard. Right now you can't "watch" a multiplayer game, and although the logs are okay they are missing offensive and defensive formations and many other details. It's difficult to evaluate your game plans when you are missing the important information about what's happening on the field.

Another addition that would be nice for those of us who watch the scoreboard: add to the play-by-play to include who had the coverage on a reception (or at least some receptions, like 25+ yards). I think the game tracks this for all receptions, since you have the "caught" statistic for defensive players. So, for instance, instead of saying "GBY 4 Farve pass completed to 89 Furguson for 86 yards a touchdown!," add to it "OAK 31 Buchanon had the coverage" or something like that. I always want to get mad at a DB after those plays, but in FOF I never know who to blame.

An injury log would be helpful too.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:30 AM   #24
Balldog
Pro Rookie

AI teams are still pass happy.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:40 AM   #25
oykib
College Starter

I'd like to have some documentation of special tems play.

Specifically, I'd like to easily be able to see at what lengths my kicker has missed kicks. Also, some rating of kickoff distances and overall kick coverage ratings for your team would be nice.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:49 AM   #26
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

A 'filter by position' would be nice for the almanach. When looking at statistics for example, it is nearly impossible to read the position tags and if I want to compare, say, all tackles by OLB to see how my star player compares to others in the league, you can't do it.

Don't know how hard that would be though, maybe it would need a complete overhaul...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #27
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
Could that be possible to have a simple option at the beginning of every career asking the player to choose if he wants his game to have the following :

LT/RT - LDE/RDE and so on...

OR

the basic
T - G - DE - CB

Three cheers for this idea...PLEASE give us this option...my head hurts looking at my roster screen trying to sort everything out...

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:00 AM   #28
Flasch186
Coordinator

Make every screen html output-able or printable.

I would LOVE to see who has played in different SB's, maybe and won them in their card.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:02 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I follow the Bengals and I don't see Jeremi Johnson who was drafted in the fourt or fifth round but Kooistra is there and he was drafted in round seven. A real roster update would be great, but probablywill be a third party thing.

Yeah, that would be a Primelord thing, that's his gig.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
An injury log would be helpful too.

I agree, especially after my Band of Brothers dynasty, I noticed that once a player starts getting injuries, he becomes injury prone.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:15 PM   #31
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My major "want" is a coaches history. I get so many names going in my head with this game that i have no idea when the head coach who just led team X to the championship was just hired away from team Y two years ago.

Also, i would like it so head coaches always make more then to coordinators. When my HC earns 3 million a year, but i have to pay 5 million a year to keep my OC from going to another team for the same job, it just doesn't seem right to me.

And the Hall of Fame needs to be tweaked. I am in the year 2051 in my career. The hall is as follows:

54 QB's
67 everyone else, including only 3 O lineman, which are all guards. Of the 5 D tackles, 4 are NT's. The 10 DE's are all LDE's. The 4 CB's are all LCB's. No safeties at all. Only 1 TE. No FB's. All 14 wr's are FL's. There are 12 LB's, 6 are MLB's, 2 are SILB's, and 4 are SLB's. None are WLB or WILB. 2 kickers. No punters.

Also, i think there needs to be some tweaking to the Player of the Year award. I can believe someone winning maybe 2-3 in a row, maybe even 4. But i have had one RB win 5 in a row, and 8 out of 10 overall. Right before his run another RB won 6 in a row. I have had other similar, but smaller runs like this. Having looked through the stats each year i can often find a guy or two atleast who deserve the award more then the repeat winner. Both those guys may have earned 3-4 of thier awards, but the others seem like they went to them because they won it before. Also, 12 of my 48 winners are QB's, all others RB's.....once in a while another position could grab the award i think.

My last "thing" is when you renovate your stadium, and i mean a major overhual, the "Support for new Stadium" rating never goes down at all, and even continues to grow. Also, moved Indianapolis to Huntsville, AL, and even though i said i would pay about $463,000,000 towards the new stadium, i was never charged at all. I kept watching before i moved while the stadium was built, and thought "well, maybe i get charged AFTER it is built" but i never was at all.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
My major "want" is a coaches history. I get so many names going in my head with this game that i have no idea when the head coach who just led team X to the championship was just hired away from team Y two years ago.

Well, there is the "experience" link for coaches under their card. Is that what you are hoping for?
Old 12-24-2003, 02:35 PM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch
Well, there is the "experience" link for coaches under their card. Is that what you are hoping for?

Holy Freaking Crap! "Experience" in bright blue letters, the rest in plain black.......

.........I never made the connection Mr. Obvious!!

Well, i'm a genius aren't I? Thanks for pointing that out, thats pretty much what i wanted. :o
Old 12-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

No problem. That will be five dollars.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #35
RedKingGold
College Starter

Please make the transaction screen printable or exportable

PLEASE!!!!!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:32 AM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nooooo, this thread is melting....melting! Please Skydog, save it or e-mail Jim to peak at it before it vanishes into the depths of page 2....
Old 12-25-2003, 11:37 AM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

He put it in the reference thread.....unless you don't think think would see it there, then i understand you.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:22 AM   #38
primelord
Pro Rookie

I am certain Jim has probably seen this thread, but I will send him a note about it just in case.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #39
Dutch
"Dutch"

Muchos gracias, senior.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #40
amdaily
College Prospect

1. As someone mentioned, injury prone players always are injured, while non injury prone players never get injured - especially QB's.

2. Still too many 4,000 yard passers. I feel it has to do with the fact that elite QB's are completing upwards of 70% of their passes.

3. The AI needs fixed when it comes to resigning it's own players. When entering the FA period AI teams have only 18 players under contract. This kills any sense of league continuity.

4. This may not be feasible for a patch, but there has to be some way for non mico-managers to keep a player that has spent 33 weeks recovering from an ACL injury (with 3 more to go until fully healthy) out of the lineup. The AI sticks him back in as soon as he's questionable, and surprise, he'll tear his ACL and be out for 33 more weeks.

5. I'm sure I'll think of some more later .
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 02:54 PM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

4000 yards shmards!! I have on average 3 a year now, and i think that is just right. Sometimes only 1 or even none, and sometimes 5-6....but usually 2 or 3 a year now.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
4. This may not be feasible for a patch, but there has to be some way for non mico-managers to keep a player that has spent 33 weeks recovering from an ACL injury (with 3 more to go until fully healthy) out of the lineup. The AI sticks him back in as soon as he's questionable, and surprise, he'll tear his ACL and be out for 33 more weeks.

I'm glad somebody else noticed this one. I thought it was just me.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The AI sticks him back in as soon as he's questionable,

Have you tried adjusting the willingness-to-use-injured-players setting? (I forget the exact name on the option, hopefully you know which one I mean)
Old 12-26-2003, 03:36 PM   #44
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
Have you tried adjusting the willingness-to-use-injured-players setting? (I forget the exact name on the option, hopefully you know which one I mean)

This is part of the problem, the coach resets the gameplan before each game.

Also just wanted to echo another common issue:

5. The AI's preference for the 3-4 defense. In one of my recent careers I had a set of stud former round 1 DT's and the AI opts to start an undrafted scrub in the 3-4. Needless to say, it ruined the season.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if this a bug or not, going into the last game of the season:

San Francisco (9-6) (1-0 against me) (2-3 division)
St. Louis-me (8-7) (0-1 against SF) (3-2 division)

Now, my last game is at home against SF and a loss would be an obvious exit from the playoffs, a win, however, would make us both (9-7), but I would have the division tiebreaker.

On the standings screen, my dot next to my team's name is gold instead of silver, and SF's is light red, which means they won the division.

I know this isn't a big deal, just thought I would bring it up because maybe I'm wrong about this.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:29 PM   #46
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by amdaily
5. The AI's preference for the 3-4 defense. In one of my recent careers I had a set of stud former round 1 DT's and the AI opts to start an undrafted scrub in the 3-4. Needless to say, it ruined the season.

Even though this was addressed in the last patch, I still don't think it's quite right either. The problem I still see is most of the teams that switch to the 3-4 have an undrafted 1-2 year FA in the WILB slot. This is almost universal. Apparently the AI decides whether to use a 4-3 or 3-4 based on the overall strength of the DL and LBs, but IMO the AI should not switch unless it has four decent linebackers. If the AI can't fill all four LB positions, then it shouldn't be so ready to abandon what is now the standard defense in the NFL. I don't necessarily mind teams switching to the 3-4, but they need to have the personnel before they do it.

Last edited by yabanci : 12-27-2003 at 12:44 AM.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:16 PM   #47
PSUColonel1

I for one would rellay rather see it determined on whether or not a particular Defensice coordinator favors a 4-3, 3-4, or 4-6 for that matter. Buddy is the only one I know of though. Landry invented th 4-3. Trivia: Does anyone know who came up with the 3-4?, or has it just always been(as one might say)?
Old 12-26-2003, 08:41 PM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just now, I ran into a penalty error:

SFO 21 Wooden ran a counterplay inside the left tackle for 5 yards.
Tackled by STL 73 Kennedy, assisted by STL 40 Green.
Penalty: SFO - Illegal formation. Penalty was declined.

Instead of 1st and 15, it's now 2nd and 5.

Todd
Old 12-26-2003, 08:54 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
Not sure if this a bug or not, going into the last game of the season:

San Francisco (9-6) (1-0 against me) (2-3 division)
St. Louis-me (8-7) (0-1 against SF) (3-2 division)

Now, my last game is at home against SF and a loss would be an obvious exit from the playoffs, a win, however, would make us both (9-7), but I would have the division tiebreaker.

On the standings screen, my dot next to my team's name is gold instead of silver, and SF's is light red, which means they won the division already.

I know this isn't a big deal, just thought I would bring it up because maybe I'm wrong about this.

Argggg! Didn't get to see what would have happened, lost to the 9ers.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:56 AM   #50
Ben E Lou

1. Check standard deviation on RB yards per carry. Is there too little variance between the "great" backs and the average backs?

2. Are injuries lumped too much among the injury-prone, thereby bringing about too many 16-game-starting QB's, etc.?