Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

First off, I hope everyone has a fun, happy and safe day with loved ones. Remember, don't fry a frozen turkey.

We are hosting at our house for the second year in a row so I guess it is turning into a tradition, especially since my wife did such a great job cooking last year.

Most of our group of friends aren't from here so we host it and they all come over. this year there will be eight of us. We start around noon, of course watch football then after the night game we put in a few Christmas movies and play board games until about 3 AM. Of course we all drink a lot off beers and everyone will likely spend the night.

Really looking forward to it.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mother-in-law headed back to TN last weekend in order to do some more work on her old house, so it's just the three of us again this year. We finally decided on lunch at an old restored hotel in nearby Washington, GA. We aren't familiar with it at all, so it's kind of a coin toss how it'll turn out but sometimes you get lucky & find a good one, we'll see I guess.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For the first time in several years, I'm not hosting. Last year, it was my cousin's high school girls basketball team that came over, when they were in Austin for a tournament. The year before I had a bunch of family members, as well as Antmeister, Lorena, and their kids. The year before that was another big group of family members that came down. And the year before that I got sent on a last minute trip to South Africa that scuttled any plans that may have been in place.

So my aunt and uncle that are in the area are hosting this year, and my mom and dad are coming down tomorrow evening bringing my two nieces as well for the weekend. We are heading down to visit another uncle that lives south of San Antonio on Saturday, and meeting up with more family members there.

edit: and if I can get a fucking plumber to call me back, hopefully getting a new water heater installed to replace the one that died and flooded my closet and bathroom today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Im hopefully fixing the oven tomorrow...if not we are still eating...It will be just a bit different.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Im hopefully fixing the oven tomorrow...if not we are still eating...It will be just a bit different.

heh, not a good day for the oven to break.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

That's why I have a big ass grill, it can fill as a substitute in a pinch!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That's why I have a big ass grill, it can fill as a substitute in a pinch!

I have that as well...we just might have to grill if this doesn't work. The home we are renting is a circa late 50's home with some 70's upgrades.

The oven is an antique and a collectors where no parts can be found anywhere, so I am hoping it's something simple when I pull it out of the wall.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Will have all the kids (+ significant others) over, except Tony who could not get leave and is stuck in Virginia. I will be doing most of the cooking, which I actually enjoy. We will also be having one of my friends over who has no family here and one of my wife's friends (+ 2 kids) who moved here from Georgia a year ago and also has no other family here. Will be 12 of us total and we will of course be watching Football, playing darts, pool and probably Rock Band.

Have my mini Keg of Heineken chilled (actually enjoying it right now) and am looking forward to a relaxing day with friends and family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all on FOFC and wishing you and yours all the best.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sitting in Section 411 watching the Raiders beat the Cowboys.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

Don't you mean Section 8, if you expect the Raiders to beat the Cowboys?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

I see you began drinking early. Have fun!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Over at the in-laws in Miami, should be fun ... if I can get my work finished so I can get my head out of my laptop
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Over at the in-laws in Miami, should be fun ... if I can get my work finished so I can get my head out of my laptop

Dude, you are a Brit... You get a hall pass!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

The in laws are coming down tomorrow, and then Friday we're going to NJ for my wife's high school reunion. Kind of sad that our oldest daughter can't make it home tomorrow, but at least she'll be here for Christmas.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

what part of Jersey Cam, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I guess it would be considered south central? Willingboro is where she went to school, but I'm not sure where the reunion is being held. All I know is the kids are staying with the grandparents and we get a night at a hotel.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

We'll be at home alone.

No family within 11 hours of here (other than wife's cousins in Seattle), and all of of our local friends are busy. Same thing as last year. I'm brining a turkey, and have a menu ready to cook tomorrow. I'll be drinking beer at 9 a.m. just to make it through the Lions game.

Yeah, this should be super.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I guess it would be considered south central? Willingboro is where she went to school, but I'm not sure where the reunion is being held. All I know is the kids are staying with the grandparents and we get a night at a hotel.

I know where that is, near Philly. I grew up about 45 minutes from there.

Have fun!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
We'll be at home alone.

No family within 11 hours of here (other than wife's cousins in Seattle), and all of of our local friends are busy. Same thing as last year. I'm brining a turkey, and have a menu ready to cook tomorrow. I'll be drinking beer at 9 a.m. just to make it through the Lions game.

Yeah, this should be super.

I'll come up.

Friends don't let friends watch the Lions alone.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lady H_B and I were supposed to go to Cleveland for Thanksgiving. My mom's side of the family is from Cleveland, so I have a grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. We've been going there every year since we moved back to Michigan.

Unfortunately, I got swine flued on Sunday. It was a brutal 3 days, but I got Tamiflu pretty quick and I'm feeling much better. On Monday night, however, I was so sick I couldn't even watch hockey, which, I think, means I was clinically dead there for a while.

Anyway, no one wants someone with the flu coming over for Thanksgiving, so we canceled our plans and will be bunkering down to protect the world from my plague. It sucks because this is my favorite holiday and it's basically shot. Oh well, there's always next year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

that sucks HB
Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
JediKooter
Coordinator

Well, since my wife left me and since everyone I know up here wher I am, is not from here and have been out of town since last Friday, I will be sitting at home, by myself, drinking as much beer as possible while trying to kill as many zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 as possible...I hope the bitch chokes.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Well, since my wife left me and since everyone I know up here wher I am, is not from here and have been out of town since last Friday, I will be sitting at home, by myself, drinking as much beer as possible while trying to kill as many zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 as possible...I hope the bitch chokes.

Good luck with all of that, especially the last part.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
that sucks HB

Yeah. Thanks, man. It's not what I had in mind, but we'll make due. At least the Lions game will be on, right?

Sadly, I will be watching that alone.

The wife may pop in here and there, but everytime she stops in, she asks why do I watch the Lions, because it doesn't seem enjoyable at all. I have no answer for that.

My dog wont even stay in the room with me because he can sense the frustration and that (and pretty much everything else in the world) makes him nervous.

I can't drink beer yet because of the medicine I'm on.

I don't have the warm, comforting bosom of the Red Zone Channel to escape to.

I fear I am doomed...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Maybe I'll just watch this over and over and convince myself last week was the Super Bowl.

NFL Videos: Sound FX: Matthew Stafford mic'd up
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah. Thanks, man. It's not what I had in mind, but we'll make due. At least the Lions game will be on, right?

Sadly, I will be watching that alone.

The wife may pop in here and there, but everytime she stops in, she asks why do I watch the Lions, because it doesn't seem enjoyable at all. I have no answer for that.

My dog wont even stay in the room with me because he can sense the frustration and that (and pretty much everything else in the world) makes him nervous.

I can't drink beer yet because of the medicine I'm on.

I don't have the warm, comforting bosom of the Red Zone Channel to escape to.

I fear I am doomed...

lol, I'm crying reading this.

Even my wife thought it was funny, and in her cranky preggo state that is no small task.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #27
Autumn
Head Coach

Our second year in the new house, new location, and we're hosting Thanksgiving again. My parents, my sister and niece, my aunt and cousins are coming down. My brother and other sister can't make it, so a smaller crowd than last year, but still sizable.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to take part in any of the prep. I'm actually still working as I type, trying desperately to get this project done so that I can actually take the holiday off. I'll probably sleep through it all at the rate I've been working 'til now.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's actually going to suck to have a Lions game sans Megatron and Stafford. I mean, they were awful as it was, but now they are probably not worth watching.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Good luck with all of that, especially the last part.

I'll do my best.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #30
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

HB... Man. What can be said? Feel better. Hopefully the Pack pack it in without Al & Aaron (and the Lions only lose by 20.)

As for me, I'll be heading to a friend's place at noon. Got to get up early to start cooking my brown sugar honey yams with baby carrots.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #31
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Family going to relatives, I'm staying put fighting an upper respitory infection along with an ear infection...yipee!
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #32
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

The landlord still being an ass?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's actually going to suck to have a Lions game sans Megatron and Stafford. I mean, they were awful as it was, but now they are probably not worth watching.

It's really too bad that the one nationally televised game this pretty horrible team has will be without it's only two interesting/exciting players. Both Stafford and Johnson were out the last time the Lions played Green Bay and it was every bit as dull and painful as you'd expect, a 26-0 shutout. Being at home really wont change that.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #34
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Football + sleeping in = holiday!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #35
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Lady H_B and I were supposed to go to Cleveland for Thanksgiving. My mom's side of the family is from Cleveland, so I have a grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. We've been going there every year since we moved back to Michigan.

Unfortunately, I got swine flued on Sunday. It was a brutal 3 days, but I got Tamiflu pretty quick and I'm feeling much better. On Monday night, however, I was so sick I couldn't even watch hockey, which, I think, means I was clinically dead there for a while.

Anyway, no one wants someone with the flu coming over for Thanksgiving, so we canceled our plans and will be bunkering down to protect the world from my plague. It sucks because this is my favorite holiday and it's basically shot. Oh well, there's always next year.

Honestly, having been to Cleveland, Swine Flu doesn't sound too terrible an alternative.

I will be avoiding Royal Oak apparently, while going to my sisters during the day for football and food, then off to my girlfriends for dinner. Her dad is a former chef and does it right for Thanksgiving.

Oh, and in between I am stopping by a cousins for a mid afternoon snack of deep fried Turkey.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Going to in-laws for dinner, and then my parents for dessert. And then on Saturday we are cooking our own 1st Thanksgiving dinner and watching the USC vs UCLA game.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #37
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Kickin' it with Ant and the kids. I tried talking Ant into getting a Tofurky but he didn't want anything to do with it.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Kickin' it with Ant and the kids. I tried talking Ant into getting a Tofurky but he didn't want anything to do with it.

I hope you're kidding about wanting an abomination like that.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #39
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I hope you're kidding about wanting an abomination like that.

Oh no, I was serious. Just wanted to try something a little different this year. Ant said I wouldn't like it either. Hey, ya never know unless ya don't try... right?
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #40
henry296
College Starter

Mom, Dad, Grandma, Brother and Sister-in-Law are on the way down for the weekend. Will be watching lots of of football all weekend long.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #41
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

The oven is beyond repair, looks like grilled Turkey today!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I slept in which was great. We are leaving in a few hours to go to Mrs. E's mother's house. Her mother, sister, and brother will be there. Should be a nice dinner. My only gripe is that none of them are football fans, so we'll be watching movies, but I'll deal with that. Her brother will be deploying to Afghanistan a few weeks later so it will be nice to have everyone together.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

I guess turduckens have gone mainstream. I saw ones for sale from two different companies at the grocery store yesterday.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #44
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post

I live in the next town over.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #45
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
First off, I hope everyone has a fun, happy and safe day with loved ones. Remember, don't fry a frozen turkey.

We are hosting at our house for the second year in a row so I guess it is turning into a tradition, especially since my wife did such a great job cooking last year.

Most of our group of friends aren't from here so we host it and they all come over. this year there will be eight of us. We start around noon, of course watch football then after the night game we put in a few Christmas movies and play board games until about 3 AM. Of course we all drink a lot off beers and everyone will likely spend the night.

Really looking forward to it.

Work and flying to Louisville. 11am eastern, so you better not get too drunk tonight so you can get up early and watch. Go RU!!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #46
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo

Im calling this chocolate heath bar cream cheese ball - Fat Kids Delight.

Adult beverages, food, and football. Throw in some sports bets for good measure. Enjoy it everyone!

Last edited by B & B : 11-26-2009 at 10:26 AM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #47
rjolley
College Starter

My mother-in-law is in town for the week. Also, my wife's cousin and her boyfriend who are in college here are coming over. So, we'll have a full table and a lot of food. No turkey or ham this year, which may be a first for me. Very nice spread otherwise, though.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #48
Izulde
Head Coach

Caught up on sleep which was totally awesome.

Going to my cousin's as we've done the last several years. Parents, sister (who also flew in yesterday), two cousins and a family friend. Not as big as the crowds we had in the day we hosted at our house, but still nice.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #49
Telle
College Starter

We're hosting this year. It'll be eight adults and two kids. Bird is in the oven and ready to go for a 5pm dinner. Most of the cleaning is done.. just gotta mop the floors while the kids are napping.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #50
hawk4669
High School JV

Everyone is coming to our place for the big dinner.....wish us luck. lol

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote