Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

ABC Pulls Welcome to the Neighborhood

I hadn't seen anything about this until just now. In fact, I swear I saw a commercial for it on Wednesday night. Gotta love this country.

I bet jbmagic is going to be bummed.

ABC's Welcome to the Neighborhood wasn't supposed to debut until July 10, but it has already united viewers across the country: They're all offended. Gee, could it have been the show's premise? It involves the predominantly white, Christian residents of a development outside Austin, Texas, auditioning a variety of families (including a gay couple with a black child, a Korean-American family, a Latino family, and a pagan couple) to win a house in the surburban enclave.

Though ABC says lessons of tolerance are ultimately learned, it's decided to pull the show after bowing to pressure from groups across the political spectrum. The conservative Family Research Council feared that the show would portray the Christian homeowners in a bad light. The National Fair Housing Alliance said that the residents' consideration of the applicants' religion and ethnicity may violate federal housing laws. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination applauded the show's message of tolerance but complained that it came only after several episodes of unchallenged bigotry. ''We hope ABC finds another approach to advance the cause of understanding that doesn't send mixed messages by using exclusion to make a point about inclusion,'' a GLAAD spokesman told the Hollywood Reporter.

Of course, the fact that everyone doesn't want me to see this show only makes me want to see it more. Especially since it might actually have been good. ''It's hilarious and had me in stitches,'' civil rights lawyer John C. Brittain told the New York Times. ''If it weren't so discriminatory, it would be great.''
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Of course, the fact that everyone doesn't want me to see this show only makes me want to see it more. Especially since it might actually have been good. ''It's hilarious and had me in stitches,'' civil rights lawyer John C. Brittain told the New York Times. ''If it weren't so discriminatory, it would be great.''

No, it is great because it's so discriminatory, thats why it's great, thats why it's interesting. If it weren't discriminatory it wouldn't be interesting.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

Sounds like a pretty dumb show based completely on stereotypical crap.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

pussies
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

damn

i guess i wait for Big Brother on CBS to come
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I was actually planning on watching this show - to see how they broke through the barriers and learned to look beyond the color/sexuality/religion/culture. I think this would have been very good "required watching" for most of America...maybe this show would have actually taught people something valuable. Oh well...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
I was actually planning on watching this show - to see how they broke through the barriers and learned to look beyond the color/sexuality/religion/culture. I think this would have been very good "required watching" for most of America...maybe this show would have actually taught people something valuable. Oh well...

Like what, I need your permission to move to your street.

To me it looked like one of the dumbest shows ever invented.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Like what, I need your permission to move to your street.

To me it looked like one of the dumbest shows ever invented.

Like I said - I think the lessons it could have taught would have been valuable. I never said the premise was good or that it was "great tv", simply that in today's society, it might have had some good "moral of the story" moments.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they said they might edit it down to get to the touching conclusion faster
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
JW
College Prospect

Personally, I was looking forward to the crack house episode, where the neighbors learned to love the crack addicts and their friends and to put up with the increase in crime and the gang members hanging out on the corner. The preview where the woman made the muffins for the crack peddler on the street corner was touching.

That was to be followed by the meth lab sequence, where the neighbors learned to help their new neighbors by all buying small quantities of sudafed and other materials for them to circumvent the law. I enjoyed the preview where the neighbors helped out after the unfortunate explosion and fire in the garage.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote