Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Wireless Mouse question

I just picked up the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop set. The question I have is, does the mouse ever shut off? The optical light came on as soon as I put the in the batteries, and hasn't shut off since. Is this going to drain my battery, and is there a way to shut it off without having to constantly remove the batteries?

Oh, and I picked up Office 2k3. Mostly the same as the last versions AFAIK. But hey, it got me a free wirless desktop and $30 in movies from best buy, so I'm happy (3 movies, wireless mouse and keyboard and Office for $150 aint bad).

And I checked CompUSA, you can get Office, and then with rebates you can get a free DVD burner, phone system (2 cordless 2.4 ghz and a normal phone) or a free protable DVD player (normally $230) free if you buy Office there (even if you buy the Student version). I didn't have to show my ID at Best Buy, and Standard is over $200 more.

At C-USA, you can also get a free printer, 128 mb usb memory key thing, free cd-r's, DVD X Copy (good if you wanted to copy movies w/ the DVD burner) and a bunch of other shit for free. I would have done that, but I couldn't clear it with the missus to copy movies. I told her we'd save money, but no go. But an insanely good deal (granted these are all rebates, but still good nonetheless.)

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have one, and if it does shut off, I don't know how to do it. I go through batteries once every two months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Damn, thats expensive... may have to invest in some rechargeable ones.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Damn, thats expensive... may have to invest in some rechargeable ones.

2 AA batteries every two months is expensive?
damn college kids...
Old 10-22-2003, 05:45 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I have a wireless mouse and love it.

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Been through two wireless mice, never again unless there's significant improvements in them.

One (I believe it was the Logitech), just crapped out on me after a couple of months. The next, an MS, was clipping through batteries about every three weeks.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:22 AM   #7
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I have a Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse also and I love it!

I will be getting a cordless keyboard next I think.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have both in cordless, had them for a year and I play on them incessantly. Every six months I've had to purchase an 8-pack of AAs in order to keep both powered. And I've only had to change the batteries in the keyboard once or twice.

You have to use the major brands of batteries. Crappy Everready and stuff like that simply doesn't have the juice to handle a long term commitment.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I use my cordless mouse for my presentation systems primarily. I have a few things where not having the wires there is nice.

For everything else, I use my optical mouse that is not cordless. The responsiveness to me is much more of a benefit than not having the cords.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
Been through two wireless mice, never again unless there's significant improvements in them.

One (I believe it was the Logitech), just crapped out on me after a couple of months. The next, an MS, was clipping through batteries about every three weeks.

I can't live without my cordless mouse.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

If I had a wireless mouse I am convinced I would lose it, only to find it near the television.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Office 2k3 is a lot better than its predecessor. If you don't use Outlook or any of the collaboration tools in a corporate environment, you probably won't notice, though.

I have wireless optical mice... I like them, and I don't mind the battery use. I know someone makes a rechargeable wireless optical mouse that sits in a charger cradle when you're not using it... that might be an option for those of you tired of buying batteries.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've been using a logitech wireless optical mouse for a couple of years now and I just keep rotating the same 8 rechargeable batteries between the mouse, my wavebird (wireless gamecube controller) and the 4 battery charger in my bathroom that's constantly plugged in. On the wavebird- it takes forever to run out of batteries (I don't play games as often as I'd like due to school and it has something like a 100 hour battery life) and on the mouse, it's 2-3 weeks of constant use (ie 10+ hours a day). Outside of the intial cash of ~$20, I haven't spent a dime yet (and I also am being quasi-environmental since I don't throw anything out).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote