Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For Fans of Metallica ... and Bluegrass!

METALLICA: Fade To Bluegrass? - Oct. 14, 2003

Terry Pace of TimesDaily.com reports that bluegrass group IRON HORSE will be releasing their genre-bending, redefining tribute (view cover here) to the head-banging, heavy-metal sounds of monster rockers METALLICA nationwide today via the Los Angeles-based label CMH Records.

"It's the last thing in the world we ever expected to do," admitted IRON HORSE co-founder Tony Robertson, who plays mandolin and sings lead, high lead and tenor vocals. "But it's really challenged us as musicians and given us an opportunity to explore an alternate form of American music. In the process, we've grown to love it."

The CMH label — which has a history of sales success with multi-artist tribute albums — sought the ideal musical marriage between a single grass-roots bluegrass band and an album's worth of heavy-metal standards originated by METALLICA. The company's radical, offbeat quest led the label to some Internet samples from "Ridin' Out the Storm", IRON HORSE's 2001 album debut as a self-contained bluegrass band.

"They liked what they heard, and they approached us with the idea," added Ricky Rogers, another charter member of IRON HORSE. "We formed this group because we wanted to open up some new avenues and go in a different direction. We never dreamed that this would kind of fall in our laps the way it did, but we're glad it did – it's definitely moving us down the road we want to travel."

"Once you actually know what the lyrics say, it really opens your eyes and ears to the music," Robertson remarked. "The label isn't trying to sell METALLICA music to bluegrass fans. Instead, they're releasing it in the roots, Americana and alternative markets, which is a great place for us to be. We do hope the bluegrass fans will like it – and we hope METALLICA fans will like it, too."

Enter Sandman

Wherever I May Roam
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
maximus
Banned

Oh MY......!!!! I can NOT believe what I just have heard!!! LOL
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a winning idea to me, pretty much a sure purchase.

It'll fit nicely in my collection along with the two Hayseed Dixie CD's I already have.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA

It'll fit nicely in my collection along with the two Hayseed Dixie CD's I already have.

Are they the guys that did the Bluegrass AC DC covers?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
Oh MY......!!!! I can NOT believe what I just have heard!!! LOL

For those of you who like Bluegrass, please take no offense. I personally do not like it but I do respect their gifts as musicians. However, being a long time metal head myself, I did find that amusing.

edit;
spelling

Last edited by maximus : 10-21-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #6
Ksyrup

On another Metallica theme:

Beatallica
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lion King -- yep, that'd be them. And follow-up albums of A Hillbilly Tribute To Mountain Love. (covers of love songs, or at least songs about love and/or lust) and Kiss My Grass (covers of Kiss songs).

http://www.hayseed-dixie.com/
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
On another Metallica theme:

Beatallica

Hmmm, those wrn't so bad. Kinda cool infact. That singer really sounds like James Hetfield. Very good.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Ksyrup

It's actually quite good, even though I wouldn't touch bluegrass with a 10-foot pole. An album full of that would get awfully repetitive, IMO. Of course, I'm sure the same can be said for a Metallica album. Certainly can be said about St. Anger...
Old 10-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
Ksyrup

I posted this one a long time ago, but to complete the Metallica trifecta:

St. Anger Tribute

My personal favorite, considering what St. Anger sounds like.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
maximus
Banned

Quote:
It's actually quite good, even though I wouldn't touch bluegrass with a 10-foot pole. An album full of that would get awfully repetitive, IMO. Of course, I'm sure the same can be said for a Metallica album. Certainly can be said about St. Anger...

In my opinion the last real good CD form Metallica was "...And Justice for All..." the "black" album was decent but "load and Reload" was terrible. IMO of course. I know that people get older and the music changes but those two were not the truw Metallica style. ST. Anger...it started off really good. (the first 20 30 secnds of the CD) but after that...I was very disappointed. They hyped it as if it were their old stlye coming back. Not a chance in my book.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #12
maximus
Banned

Quote:

St. Anger Tribute

LOL...that may even sound better than St. Anger... lol
Old 10-21-2003, 08:00 PM   #13
Ksyrup

I agree completely. The Black Album is only good when listening to it in comparison to what came after it. At the time, I was sorely disappointed. In retrospect, it sounds like a freakin' masterpiece!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

My brother is a huge music freak. He had told me before St Anger was even released that I would be disappointed. He was right. My brother knows some people in the industry who had a chance to "listen test" a few songs. Some responses were good but that may be because they realy were trying to push the new sound. I really do hope that Metallica really does do one more "trash" album before they call it quits.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
kurtism
High School Varsity

For more of the same (where same = unique takes on Hetfield and Co.), try Apocalyptica, or catch the stream of their video here.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #16
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
My brother is a huge music freak. He had told me before St Anger was even released that I would be disappointed. He was right. My brother knows some people in the industry who had a chance to "listen test" a few songs. Some responses were good but that may be because they realy were trying to push the new sound. I really do hope that Metallica really does do one more "trash" album before they call it quits.

No offense but anyone could tell you that considering everything they've done in the last decade has sucked. I don't think you have to be in the industry to know it sucks before it comes out when everyone they've done that long has sucked.

Sorry, disgruntled former Metallica fan in me I guess.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Like Craker? Like Bluegrass? Oh Cracker, Where Art Thou
Old 10-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Deattribution
No offense but anyone could tell you that considering everything they've done in the last decade has sucked. I don't think you have to be in the industry to know it sucks before it comes out when everyone they've done that long has sucked.

Sorry, disgruntled former Metallica fan in me I guess.

No offense taken.

When I say my brother knows people in the industry I don't mean producers and such. Just like beta testers for games, people are picked to listen test music singles. Dean, my brother, never heard of any of the songs before ST Anger came out but he was told how it would sound, play, ect. by one of his friends who listen tests for different bands.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
Ksyrup

I bet none of the descriptions of the drum sound could have prepared him for what he heard.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

I'll pass...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:44 AM   #21
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Ah yes, Hayseed Dixie. Who could forget the classic, "Keepin your poop in a jar?"
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #22
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

St. Anger Tribute

haha what the hell was he beating on... a trash can? That is funny.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #23
Ksyrup

From the website, it says:

"The snare drum of this song is a rod banging on a metal chair."

Sadly, it sounds just like the drums on the entire album.