Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
bionicgrov03
n00b

Thumbs up New Disney movie: Brother Bear

Just wanted to let everyone know that I saw this movie last week at a press screening and it was actually quite good. I was going in with low expectations but loved it. It is actually funny, and might be Disney's best animated movie since "The Lion King." I know most people on this board won't go see it out of free will, but if you have kids, I would definitely take them to see this. It might actually teach them a good lesson too.

bionicgrov03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

When does this come out? This friday?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Actually, after seeing the previews it something that my girlfriend and I both want to go see. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We're pretty much in the antimated movie rotation now, so anything that comes out I'll probably be forced to see. Glad to hear this one is decent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

It was already pretty much sure that we'd go with the kiddo (6 year old son). Hearing a little bit of good reviews just tells me we will have fun. Thanks for the heads up. When does it come out again?

FM
Old 10-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #6
bionicgrov03
n00b

Nov. 1
Old 10-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Tasan
College Starter

Re: New Disney movie: Brother Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by bionicgrov03
... might be Disney's best animated movie since "The Lion King."

That just doesn't inspire me, as I really didn't like the Lion King. When you talk about a Disney animated movie, are you including the Disney released Pixar films?
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 PM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bionicgrov03
Nov. 1

This is a Saturday, are you taking about a limited release, kind of pre-screening thing or did you mean October 31st?

FM
Old 10-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Re: New Disney movie: Brother Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tasan
That just doesn't inspire me, as I really didn't like the Lion King. When you talk about a Disney animated movie, are you including the Disney released Pixar films?

Lion King had the potential to be good, but fell WAY short of it. Seriously, if when you watch it at all critically, you can't miss that it was just thrown together. A lot of the movie didn't get to release, because they ran out of time. I am certain it could have been good, but as it was released, it comes no where near the level set by Beauty and the Beast or even The Little Mermaid. Disney should have done what .400 is doing, and wait to release a finished product, rather than rush to meet an artificial deadline or beat a competitor.

I rate the people who thought The Lion King was great, just a shade ahead of those who thought Robin Williams was funny in Aladin.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

Re: Re: Re: New Disney movie: Brother Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by Glengoyne
I rate the people who thought The Lion King was great, just a shade ahead of those who thought Robin Williams was funny in Aladin.

soooooo many cool points... gone... just like that. Robin Williams was awesome.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:51 PM   #11
bionicgrov03
n00b

Quote:

Okay, sorry to offend everyone with the Lion King reference. The only reason I said that was b/c I know I enjoyed it, and also because I haven't enjoyed a single Disney movie since. I hate how Disney tries to force jokes on you, whereas Pixar just lets it flow. So if you didn't like The Lion King, I'm sorry, it was ten years ago and back then I was young and I didn't critique movies like I do now. I can only say I remember the movie being good. If you don't agree with me, that's perfectly okay. It's not like I'm trying to force anyone to go see this new movie, just thought I would try and help out.

BTW, I am seeing Matrix:Revolutions on Thursday, so if anyone wants any reviews, I'll post my thoughts (I'll make sure to stay away from any Lion King reference though ).
Old 10-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I actually enjoyed the Lion King.. but I guess I dont really complain much about most movies.. As long as it gets me out of the house, entertains me and doesn't cost $30.00 to see it then I am ok I suppose with most movies...

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #13
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The best part about this movie, IMHO, is Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis reprising their Bob & Doug McKenzie roles as Moose.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #14
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I liked the Emporer's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch...especially since there were like no songs set aside by themself...

Finding Nemo was excellent...can't wait to get that one on video.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I thought that The Lion King was great and that Robin Williams was funny in Aladdin.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not a huge fan of it myself, but clearly we weren't the audience The Lion King was aimed at. However, being the highest grossing animated film at over $300M for about 10 years until Finding Nemo topped it, obviously someone liked it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:39 AM   #17
haji1
Mascot

I loved the movie Spirit, my two year old watches it every day and I still like all of the neat touches. I also love the soundtrack by Bryan Adams.

I think I may see this movie just for the moose. I may have to dig my old Bob and Doug MacKenzie tape out of storage.

I also loved the Emperor's New Groove. Wasn't filled with fluffy animals, crappy happy music, and sickening love story. Good movie for an adult to sit through with his kid.
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:26 PM   #18
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Disney movie: Brother Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven Hawk
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I thought that The Lion King was great and that Robin Williams was funny in Aladdin.

Sure he was funny. IF you hadn't ever seen five minutes of his standup routine. He wasn't ad-libbing(are there two "B"s in that word?), he was regurgitating chunks of his standup routine. That made it entirely unfunny to me, as I had heard practically every joke he tossed out before.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-22-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #19
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Ahhh see . . . I never really saw too much of his stand up. But from what I've seen, I would guess that you'd have to edit out alot of his routine to make it PG.

And perhaps you're right. Perhaps it wasn't so much 'funny' as it was 'entertaining' to me. Something can be funny and not entertaining and vice versa.

Also I'd figure that it would be hard to ad-lib in an animated feature as the directors/producers pretty much want the toon's mouth to be uttering something close to what the actor is saying. Ad-libbing would run up the production costs. It might make it funier, but not cheaper.