Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

questions for Jim about FOF2004

EDIT FROM SKYDOG
Jim has agreed to do a Q&A. Keep posting those questions.

Questions

Will TCY drafts be compatible with FOF2004?

Will there be an option to not be the head of any team while simulating seasons? (Effectively just watching the league either before or after heading a team)

Will there be league setups available aside from the 32 team league?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-17-2003 at 02:56 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Will there be rudimentary support for logos/helmets?
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #3
Fido
High School Varsity

Will/should 2k4 careers be compatible with future FOF releases?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Are Def Line players still dead men walking?

what I mean by this is are DL men still going to have extreem injury problems?

Last edited by Fritz : 10-17-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Will/Can this version (FOF2004) be compatable with future version of the FOF series? For example, importing of ALL stats, players (even retired ones), teams & team history, league records and history, ect.

Thanks.
vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #6
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Fido
Will/should 2k4 careers be compatible with future FOF releases?

LOL, Fido you wrote that while I was doing mine. Sory bud.

Last edited by vulcan : 10-17-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
Fido
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by vulcan
LOL, Fritz you wrote that while I was doing mine. Sory bud.

Fritz? You mean Fido, right?
Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

Will salary cap "growth rate" be adjustable? (For historic leagues, to avoid a low starting salary cap practically doubling the first few years).

Have new incentives been included for contract negotiations?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:11 AM   #9
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Fritz? You mean Fido, right?

Yes, Sorry'bout that. I changed it.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM   #10
Fido
High School Varsity

Will multiplayer play be limited to setting up game plans and having one machine do the simluation, or will head to head playcalling be an option?

How much information is included in the "update" files sent back and forth in multi player games? Is this something that would be practical for people with 56k modems to consider or are the files huge.

What type of multiplayer commisioner functions are available? Can head coaches be removed due to inactivity?

Is the multiplayer a client/server architecture or is it limited to saving a file and sending it in?

Where will the definitive leage data be stored in multi player games? Will there be a risk of players hacking into the game files to modify their teams?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Will we have access to a player's college stats when they enter the draft?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:29 AM   #12
Lazy Eye
n00b

Will Aaron Boone become the poster boy for the homosexual community?

Marmel?
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Will the QB not also be the backup FB on a team's depth chart (when there are a couple of FB injuries), making him both the QB and FB on the same play sometimes (yes, I've had this happen)?

Actually, I guess this is just a plea for the AI to be better with signing subs when they need them because of injuries, rather than only picking up guys when another goes on IR. Either that or do away with requiring minimums at each position.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-17-2003 at 10:30 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Is the multiplayer a client/server architecture or is it limited to saving a file and sending it in?

From the "Jim's Next Game..." thread, posted before his announcement. I think this probably gives a clue about the answer to your question:

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
People have asked a lot about multi-player. With the dramatic surge in forum participation the last three years, I think multi-player functionality is becoming much more important. I'm probably later than most to join that bandwagon, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I don't want to host the servers for 1,000 leagues, as EA imagined multi-player. But I think we've reached a point where it's feasible for one person to run his own multi-player league, emailing files back and forth. Those file sizes were a barrier three years ago. Today, that's not the case.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
A Def Line players still dead men walking?

Yes.... tubbys of the world need stats too.

My question is will you have a chat on irc regarding the game?

I enjoyed the last one.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:36 AM   #16
Fido
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
From the "Jim's Next Game..." thread, posted before his announcement. I think this probably gives a clue about the answer to your question:

I know taht Jim's not going to try to host all of the games centrally, that takes EA type money/resources. But can a league commish with a dedicated connection act as the server for all clients players in his league?
Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:49 AM   #17
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Will we have access to a player's college stats when they enter the draft?

Not really a question but...

Bee, I was thinking the same thing. That would be a neat feature, along with trying to decide between someone with great combine numbers vs. someone from a big Div I school and good stats vs. someone from a small Div III school with amazing stats. Better chance for the big school person to compete immediately due to closer level of competition, possible chance for a great gem from a small school.

Ok, I'll stop now. Combine is not a bad thing.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #18
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

Quote:
I know taht Jim's not going to try to host all of the games centrally, that takes EA type money/resources. But can a league commish with a dedicated connection act as the server for all clients players in his league?

Great question. First one that came to mind when I read multi-player. I was hoping to fire up a server.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Will there be a waiver system? Or will players that are cut just go back to the FA pool? This would seem to be a fairly important thing in a multi-player game.

Will players you have cut ever consider playing for you again?

Will there be practice squads?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Will players you have cut ever consider playing for you again?

You know, this one has bugged me for quite a long time. IRL, guys come and go fairly regularly. Unless it's a special circumstance (long-time vet, etc.), most scrubs know their place in life and will gladly accept a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th bite at the apple. And especially with the FOF4 inner-position distinctions (OLB, MLB, ILB, ULB, WeallLB), often times it was necessary to cut someone just to pick up a specific replacement, sometimes for just a week or so. And of course, the guy you cut would never re-sign with you. I really hope this can be toned down a bit, as the whole positional thing was the most frustrating aspect of FOF4 for me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 AM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
You know, this one has bugged me for quite a long time. IRL, guys come and go fairly regularly. Unless it's a special circumstance (long-time vet, etc.), most scrubs know their place in life and will gladly accept a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th bite at the apple. And especially with the FOF4 inner-position distinctions (OLB, MLB, ILB, ULB, WeallLB), often times it was necessary to cut someone just to pick up a specific replacement, sometimes for just a week or so. And of course, the guy you cut would never re-sign with you. I really hope this can be toned down a bit, as the whole positional thing was the most frustrating aspect of FOF4 for me.

I will take any improvement in this department... even a hard-and-fast:

A player will not play for your organization X years after being cut (or angered about playing time).

Even a "cooling off" period would be an improvement.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #22
Ksyrup

I know it will actually make the game easier for us if it allows signing decent players back rather than requiring us to choose among the slim pickins, but it just bothers the hell out of me. I'd rather not be forced to cut them in the first place. Maybe the AI could be beefed up so that, in combination with getting rid of this rule, the AI is more aggressive in making mid-season pick-ups when the talent level of a recent cut makes it advantageous to do so. That way, I might still get the guy back, but I have a greater chance of him not being around when I want him back, rather than him sitting in the free agent pool and signing with no one, when he's probably got 6 kids, 2 ex-wives, and a civil suit from his ex-college girlfriend to deal with.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I know it will actually make the game easier for us if it allows signing decent players back rather than requiring us to choose among the slim pickins, but it just bothers the hell out of me. I'd rather not be forced to cut them in the first place. Maybe the AI could be beefed up so that, in combination with getting rid of this rule, the AI is more aggressive in making mid-season pick-ups when the talent level of a recent cut makes it advantageous to do so. That way, I might still get the guy back, but I have a greater chance of him not being around when I want him back, rather than him sitting in the free agent pool and signing with no one, when he's probably got 6 kids, 2 ex-wives, and a civil suit from his ex-college girlfriend to deal with.

Exactly... I've been in the situation where I want to re-sign a guy years after cutting him, but he'll refuse and basically force himself into retirement.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Look at the case of Zeron Flemister...cut from the Redskins, he signs with the Browns, who then cut him but ask him to stick around to be resigned in a week. Then a Skins TE goes down, and they call and resign Flemister.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #25
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Look at the case of Zeron Flemister...cut from the Redskins, he signs with the Browns, who then cut him but ask him to stick around to be resigned in a week. Then a Skins TE goes down, and they call and resign Flemister.

Or Fernando Smith for the Vikings a few years ago, when after they'd cut him for about the 4th time in his career he resigned two weekd later (only to be cut again before too long).
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #26
bryce
High School Varsity

tony mcgee this week for the cowboys.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #27
Jon
High School Varsity

What are the system requirements for the game?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I know that a bunch of questions are about multiplayer, TCY and future compatability. My concerns are more oriented towards gameplay, and I have several GM questions:

Will vested veterans signed for the minimum count less against the cap a la recent changes in the CBA?

Will restricted players, franchise players be able to be signed but at the cost of drat compensation?

Will there be compensatory draft picks?

Transition tags?

Will restricted free agents have three offers that determine their status?

Will there be more contract negotiation clauses? Incentives? Roster bonuses?

Will the compatability continue to be based on something like astrological sign or something more realistic like Myers-Briggs Personalty Types?

Can players that retire be hired as coaches?

Can we finally hire a practice squad?

Will waiver claims be implemented?

Can a third quarterback on the inactive roster be activated per NFL rules?

Will positions continue to be split (LCB, RDE, etc)?

Will agents begin to play a bigger role in their client's lives?

Will we be able to peruse a fake draft publication that lists rookies by anticipated draft round (in order to have a jumping off point to begin sorting)?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #29
rexallllsc
Banned

My question:

Has the game presentation changed at all? I.e. the PbP?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My question:

Can you be fired/ change jobs to other teams like FOF4? If so and you get fired, will there always be a team that wants your services? Some people have been fired and there are no teams that want to rehire, so in essence the game is over. I couldn't imagine having all that history and then, BOOM! you have to start over.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #31
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
My question:

Can you be fired/ change jobs to other teams like FOF4? If so and you get fired, will there always be a team that wants your services? Some people have been fired and there are no teams that want to rehire, so in essence the game is over. I couldn't imagine having all that history and then, BOOM! you have to start over.

Todd

I like the suggestion from someone else that would allow the game to continue without you. Then in perhaps a season or two you can return to the game, and take over for any team that will hire you. Say like Bill Parcells.

I also like the idea about running the game without ownership, at the beginning of a dynasty. This just to build up statistics. I did this with my first FoF4 career, and boy when I came in after 10 years of AI management, I was ALREADY on pretty thin ice. Either of these two things would be wonderful icing on the cake.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #32
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Has HTML exporting made it into this version?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #33
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Did cheerleaders make it into this one? It would be a sweet diversion to have vid clips of scantily clad ladies with pom-poms cheering me on during the season. Give me a B-O-N-E...

Last edited by Bonegavel : 10-17-2003 at 02:49 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
Did cheerleaders make it into this one? It would be a sweet diversion to have vid clips of scantily clad ladies with pom-poms cheering me on during the season. Give me a B-O-N-E...

You mean like the ones in Super Techmo?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
You mean like the ones in Super Techmo?

that game was the bomb. The one cheerleader's skirt would catch a draft at the last second and reveal a glimpse of panties beneath. They really thought of everything with that game.

I also believe it honestly had the best ever game-ending cinema scenes. Winning the Super Bowl really felt like an accomplishment.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #36
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Edited the first post. Jim is on board.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #37
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Willl gameplans be hidden from opposing coaches (password protected or otherwise) in multiplayer?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #38
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Edited the first post. Jim is on board.

Am I the only one who pictures SkyDog in a leisure suit going

"Get on board the Souuuuuul Train!"

Last edited by Fritz : 10-17-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:14 PM   #39
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Am I the only one who pictures SkyDog in a leisure suit going

"Get on board the Souuuuuul Train!"
Lemme tell ya something. I look GOOD in a leisure suit.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #40
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NoMyths
Willl gameplans be hidden from opposing coaches (password protected or otherwise) in multiplayer?

You could have just covered all the bases and asked if it was HM-proof.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:17 PM   #41
Lazy Eye
n00b

Aaron Boone.
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:46 PM   #42
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Is there anything in-game restricting you from spending a ludicrous amount to get the best coordinators/coaches/scouts?
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:56 PM   #43
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

1. Has the AI end-game logic been tweaked? (Right now, there are consistently unrealistic play calls late in halves and in OT.)

2. In the current version of FOF4, it appears that teams go through the leftover players after free agency in a randomly determined order. The first team that gets to do this often signs a handful of strong players to one-year, bargain-basement contracts, and subsequently rises in the standings the next season, only to fall again the following year when all those players go back into free agency. Will this problem be addressed in the new version of FOF4?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #44
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Lemme tell ya something. I look GOOD in a leisure suit.

SkyDog, between the "My Anus Is Burning" thread and this last little gem, you have become something of a QOTM goldmine this past week. Bravo!
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #45
Dutch
"Dutch"

1. Will Astrological Signs still be implemented? If so, will we get any additional feedback such as Player X and Player Y got into a fight in spring training or QB X and WR Y did not seem in synch during the game today.

2. Will Game Experience be factored in to the scouts opinion of a player? I noticed many times when scouts would favor a FB with a rating of 40 and 8 years experience over a FB with a rating of 70 and 1 year of experience. That always confused me. (The rating being a generic average of all it's attributes).

3. Will injuries still be linked heavily to the coach?

4. Will training be expanded beyond Spring Training to include weekly regiments of training during the regular and post-season?

5. In multi-player, is it easy for the commish to participate in the league as a team or could/would the integrity of the universe potentially be ruined.

6. How much time do you believe a commish would have to dedicate to one season of FOF2004 as a minimum requirement?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:35 PM   #46
thesloppy
Pro Starter

How will a multiplayer draft be handled? Real time, or will each pick need to be mailed into the 'commish'?

Any restrictions on number of players?

Can players be added/removed at any point in a season/career?

Can player control be turned on/off at any point in a season/career? I.E. if you have a ten player career going, and one player takes a vacation for a week, can that team's control be automated during that week, and subsequently restored upon their return?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 PM   #47
jamesUMD
High School JV

Will coach and coordinator profiles be editable like the player files in fof4. Also will coaches and scouts still be randomly created and assigned to teams like in previous versions or will be be able to give each team their starting front office tandem, as we see fit.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:12 PM   #48
Buccaneer
Head Coach

1. Will league structure and sizes be customizable for solo and MP?

2. Wouls it be possible to include a third-party schedule generator for anything other than a 32-team league?

3. To echo Craig, will the graphics be in a standard format to allow custom artwork and helmets/logos?

Yes, I care about these things more than I do any stats or ratings features.

Thank you for making the files more open.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:41 PM   #49
Taur
High School Varsity

Are there going to be any upgrades to the Team finances?

No, finance issues are mentioned in the release page.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:40 AM   #50
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Here goes. Sorry for any repeats:

1) Will there be a higher difficulty level, or will the highest difficulty level be made more difficult than FOF?

2) Will the intelligence test score replace the intelligence rating from previsous versions?

3) From imported TCY draft files, will the combine scores be interpolated from other ratings, or will they be assigned at random?

4) Will Long Snapping, Holding, and Gunning each have their own ratings? If so, will they partially or completely replace the current Special Teams rating? Also, from imported TCY draft files, will those ratings be interpolated from other ratings or will they be assigned at random?

5) Are the overall number ratings for current and potential still available during the amateur draft?

6) Will the coach (not me) ever be allowed to pick his own coordinators?
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote