Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hello Tim Duncan.

Now if only he could get a title or three like Duncan has.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ok that's mean.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nothing aggravates me more that a big man (PF or C) trying to take a charge from a 1,2, or 3. Granted Lebron is not your average forward but still. Go for the block Timmy!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't see the big deal. Duncan didn't leave his feet. Yeah, he got dunked on, but he didn't do anything to try and really stop it. If he had, it would be a different story.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

He didn't try to stop it? If he hadn't tried to stop it, he wouldn't have tried to take the charge.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

next time Lebron tries to drive in the lane against Duncan, Duncan should put him on his a$$
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I used to think Lebron was a good kid, and maybe he is but actions lately have me leaning towards spoiled, selfish punk.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
IrishHand
Mascot

Yeah...you look at the personality/professionalism paths that guys like Kobe, Garnett, LeBron have taken and it's not hard to see why a couple years of college is a very good thing. You think MJ would have been as classy as he was (at least on and around the court) had he not spent his time under Coach Smith at UNC?
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
I used to think Lebron was a good kid, and maybe he is but actions lately have me leaning towards spoiled, selfish punk.

Ditto. He is really starting to tarnish my opinion of him (mostly for walking off the court.) Hopefully, it's an anomaly and not the start of a pattern.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What has LeBron done lately to change people's perceptions of him? I haven't followed the NBA at all so far this season, so I don't know what's going on.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What has LeBron done lately to change people's perceptions of him? I haven't followed the NBA at all so far this season, so I don't know what's going on.

He walked off the court before a game was officially over when his teammates were all running back to at least play some defense. That was his biggest offense in my opinion.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-17-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
He's an out-of-this-world basketball player, he's insanely successful off the court, he probably gets a ton of tail and he's been built up to be possibly the greatest player ever.

I'd say it's fairly standard operating procedure that people will now begin to find reasons to rip him.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #13
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
He's an out-of-this-world basketball player, he's insanely successful off the court, he probably gets a ton of tail and he's been built up to be possibly the greatest player ever.

I'd say it's fairly standard operating procedure that people will now begin to find reasons to rip him.

That has dick all to do with it. Walking off the court before a game is even over, and worse yet, in that exhibition game in Rochester where people paid damn good money to see him and he was left out of the lineup, in the 4th quarter fans were chanting we want Lebron and James got up and started to take off his warmups like he was coming into the game and then starting laughing and sat down. What a prick move. Of course he wouldn't sign nary an autograph afterwards either. His success has nothing to do with it. An asshole is an asshole plain and simple.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Ditto. He is really starting to tarnish my opinion of him (mostly for walking off the court.) Hopefully, it's an anomaly and not the start of a pattern.

They were going to hit a 7 pointer with 5 seconds left? I mean cmon.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Of course not, but it was completely disrespectful to his teammates and to the game. It was a sign that he may view himself as more important than his teammates or the game. I thought Lebron was going to be all class, now I'm not sure of that.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
That has dick all to do with it. Walking off the court before a game is even over, and worse yet, in that exhibition game in Rochester where people paid damn good money to see him and he was left out of the lineup, in the 4th quarter fans were chanting we want Lebron and James got up and started to take off his warmups like he was coming into the game and then starting laughing and sat down. What a prick move. Of course he wouldn't sign nary an autograph afterwards either. His success has nothing to do with it. An asshole is an asshole plain and simple.
I would bet that LeBron James has already done more good in the world that you can hope to do your entire life. Lets see... a brief search on my part shows that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for supplies for Katrina victims, donates school supplies in his hometown of Akron and paid for the renovation of the Womens Health Center at Summa Health System.

Yeah, he's a real asshole because of his actions at the end of one basketball game.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

To me it's been fascinating to watch Bron and Melo over their short careers.

In the beginning, Melo could do no right. He didn't play D (which Bron never has until recently either), he was selfish, he was a horrible human, he got caught with weed, made a bad decision by saying something he shouldn't have on a DVD and was shredded for being the reason the US team sucked in Athens.

Now, I have very credible sources that say James acted worse than Anthony at those Olympics. This was never reported, but it didn't matter. Melo was the bad guy, while James was the guy who was the golden child.

Flash forward to this year and it's almost a complete reversal. Melo did get kicked out of game 1 this year, but most people defended him when it happened and said it was an unfair ejection. (which it was) Melo was the unquestioned leader of the team at the World Championships. He's now portrayed as someone who is great in the community, a good teammate, a leader.

At the same time, James is getting shredded for everything he does. Leaving the court early is one of those things, but he's now in a situation where he can do no right.

What's my take on it? I think both are young guys who have made (and will make more) mistakes in judgement. I think both are wonderful basketball players who have taken bottom feeder franchises and turned them around at incredibly young ages. (the lack of respect Melo has received the last few years has been appalling. He's been the only true scoring threat on the Nuggets from the time he arrived and has led a franchise that missed the playoffs 10 consecutive years to three straight playoff berths. Yet people, until now, have centered on all the things he can't do or doesn't do as well as others. It's sickening)

Both are fairly classy guys. I don't live in Cleveland, but I'd imagine James does quite a bit there. Melo has done some incredible things for the community in Denver and just donated 3 million to Syracuse.

The test for James now is to learn the lessons being forced on him. Melo already went through it. Everything James does for the next year or two are going to be scrutinized heavily. He's not getting any "freebies" anymore. If he acts up in anyway, it's going to be reported. Melo had that adjustment period and now is a lot more careful about what he says and how he acts.

I think he'll adjust and by the end of the year it'll only be the players being talked about. If he doesn't and continues to do things to get the media frenzy going, it's going to be a long year for the new King.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #18
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Actually, there were about 15 seconds left when he started to walk off.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #19
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I would bet that LeBron James has already done more good in the world that you can hope to do your entire life. Lets see... a brief search on my part shows that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for supplies for Katrina victims, donates school supplies in his hometown of Akron and paid for the renovation of the Womens Health Center at Summa Health System.

Yeah, he's a real asshole because of his actions at the end of one basketball game.

Did you not read the other part? The part about him pretty much mocking the fans of Rochester that paid good money to see him play? The actions at the end of one basketball game is only one thing that I mentioned here. And yes I am sure he has donated more money than I ever will because...ummmm he HAS more money than I ever will. Good catch there Einstein. While I applaud him for donating that money it is VERY easy to sign a check. Lebron donating hundres of thousands of dollars is like me donating $100.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

So the football players who start leaving the field with about 50 seconds left on the clock must be assholes too.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Mike Brown would have been fired on the spot if he allowed James to go back into the 4th quarter of an exhibition game. So I can't really see how he gets the blame for that one. I could also him getting ripped for disobeying the coach and putting himself in the game if he did that. As far as tarnishing his image goes, I guess I don't see it. It may have to do with the fact that I never saw him as being perfect anyway. I can remember when he received the "selfish" tag after he was ruled ineligble his last year in high school. He was criticized for being "too good" for the college game. Hell just go back to last year and the trash talk incident with Gilbert Arenas. Is Lebron ALL class? I highly doubt it. Is he a complete asshole? I highly doubt that too. The truth, as they say, probably lies somewhere in the middle.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Did you not read the other part? The part about him pretty much mocking the fans of Rochester that paid good money to see him play? The actions at the end of one basketball game is only one thing that I mentioned here. And yes I am sure he has donated more money than I ever will because...ummmm he HAS more money than I ever will. Good catch there Einstein. While I applaud him for donating that money it is VERY easy to sign a check. Lebron donating hundres of thousands of dollars is like me donating $100.
Wow, you are one bitter dude.

See, it's all attitude and perspective. Last time I checked Lebron can't put himself into the game. That's up to the coach. Him standing up and taking off his warmups can very easily be seen as him joking around with the crowd. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. You are some fucking super genious who can get into his head and know his motivation.

We get it. You don't like him. He probably eats babies, right?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Actually, there were about 15 seconds left when he started to walk off.

Oh, okay, is that what you saw when they played the tape of the incident. My bad.

Cause the jackass Hawks announcer who made this into any kind of big deal says something specifically to the fact that he's walking off the floor with 7 seconds left and the team down by 9 points.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's an exhibition game, and as far as the Cavs were concerned, there was no way that he was going to play in that game at all. On the raptors side, several of their "better" players did not play as well. The people who organized the exhibition game and heavily promoted that LeBron was going to be playing are the ones at fault. As it's not uncommon for teams to rest their better players on day 2 of an exhibition back to back.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #25
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Of course not, but it was completely disrespectful to his teammates and to the game. It was a sign that he may view himself as more important than his teammates or the game. I thought Lebron was going to be all class, now I'm not sure of that.

We all ripped on Moss when he did it in the NFL, how is this any different?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #26
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's an exhibition game, and as far as the Cavs were concerned, there was no way that he was going to play in that game at all. On the raptors side, several of their "better" players did not play as well. The people who organized the exhibition game and heavily promoted that LeBron was going to be playing are the ones at fault. As it's not uncommon for teams to rest their better players on day 2 of an exhibition back to back.

I'm not ripping the decision not to play him (although I think sit him out of an exhibition game at home where the fans will have 40 plus more chances to see him) what I am ripping is his jackass stunt to get up and feign taking his warmups off as if he was coming into the game then basicially yukking it up at the fans.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
Danny
Head Coach

Oilers9911 must be a scorned lover of Lebron and heybrad his mother.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #28
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Yes, you've seen my picture in the What Do Look Like thread.

Seriously... I don't really care about him one way or the other. My point is that we really know jack squat about these guys.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #29
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Yes because I hear Lebron likes white men in their mid-thirties.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
We all ripped on Moss when he did it in the NFL, how is this any different?

I agree that this is egregious. The difference is LeBron hasn't had the other offenses that Moss has had (at least to my knowledge) and like Troy, I'm willing to forgive if this doesn't become a pattern of behavior and is just one mistake that he learns from. As far as the exhibition game, LeBron couldn't insert himself and the coach would have been crazy to do so. I don't necessarily see Lebron's actions as taunting the crowd either. I just hope these transgressions don't become a pattern, because up to this season I thought Lebron was a very classy individual who I could root for without any conflicts for many years to come.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #31
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yes because I hear Lebron likes white men in their mid-thirties.
And how does that make you feel?

Edit:

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-17-2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: :rolleyes:
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #32
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And how does that make you feel?

Edit:

ummmmm...what?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
ummmmm...what?
How do you feel about LeBron liking white men in their mid-30s?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

Old 11-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #35
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
How do you feel about LeBron liking white men in their mid-30s?

Homey should stick with the brothers.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

""". Jealousy mixed with the belief that every athelete must be as pious as your average biblical character, generous to a fault, and so forth. God forbid they be human.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Horseshit. You giving a $100 does nothing compared to him giving $10,000 - what helps the people more - your piety? How much it hurts him isn't the issue.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 11-17-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #38
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Homey should stick with the brothers.

Segregation ended quite a while ago, "homey."
Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 PM   #39
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not talking about this particular guy as I have no opinion of him but generally, assholes do good sometimes great things every day. No one is entirely an asshole or a saint.

I mean really, was Ted Bundy not an asshole because he worked as a suicide prevention councellor and saved more lives than he eventually took?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #40
Subby
lolzcat

Two things I learned from this thread.

1) Lebron is amazing.
2) heybrad rules
3) oilers9911 is a tool

Whoops...that's three.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #41
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10 View Post
Segregation ended quite a while ago, "homey."

Dude, it was a joke...get a fucking clue.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #42
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Two things I learned from this thread.

1) Lebron is amazing.
2) heybrad rules
3) oilers9911 is a tool

Whoops...that's three.

If you want to fellate Lebron just go to Cleveland and ask him if its ok. Dickhead.

Edit: If I took your post in the wrong context I apologize for the above.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 11-18-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #43
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Horseshit. You giving a $100 does nothing compared to him giving $10,000 - what helps the people more - your piety? How much it hurts him isn't the issue.

I didn't mean in the amount that it helps. Obviously his 100 grand helps more but I meant in the fact that in the amount we are able to give, his 100 grand is like 100 dollars to me.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

omg lebron fight itt
Old 11-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

The next time (insert star NFL QB) does not play in the 4th qtr of a preseason, I hope to see an equivalent post about how much of an asshole he is.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #46
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The next time (insert star NFL QB) does not play in the 4th qtr of a preseason, I hope to see an equivalent post about how much of an asshole he is.

OK, I've listened to about enough of this crap. Both sides are so far over the edge on this one, it's insane.

1) Lebron, if he really did it, needs to use better judgement about taunting a crowd. Exhibition or not, people paid money to see the game and there are kids in the crowd who idolize Bron. He should respect that fact. The issue is not that he didn't play in the game or that he sat out the fourth. (the above analogy is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life) The issue also isn't that the Cavs are smart or stupid for not using him. We can all agree it's pointless to have Bron in the game at that point and any jack ass that would put him there would be fired.

On the other hand, Bron getting up and taking his warmups off and joking around like he's going into the game is a bit classless. He needs to understand that with greatness and fame comes a price. I remember reading stories of how it made Tom Kelly sick to give Kirby Puckett a day off, because he knew he'd get at least one letter from someone who spent a lot of money to take their kid to see Puckett play. He understood that some of those people weren't made of money and it may be the only time a kid could get a chance to see him play. It doesn't mean Kelly wasn't right in giving Puckett days off. But when that happened, Puckett didn't jump out of the dugout with a fungo bat in the 8th inning and then go back to the steps. It's simple understanding here.

2) Having said all of that, Lebron is 20. He's not a seasoned vet and he's not someone who is a complete person yet. He's a kid. At 20 I did some asinine things that I wouldn't even dream of doing now. I also didn't have the same understanding of things I have now. (and I'm sure I will be writing at the age of 50 that I have a better understanding than I have now, but the leap from 20 to 25 or so is the biggest developmental leap I've ever had as a person)

Bron's INTENTION here wasn't to be mean spirited. He's a 20 year old kid joking on the bench and having fun. Nobody should be stating he's some evil dirtbag because he did what he did. What should happen is that one of the vets on the team, one of the veteran coaches or one of the people he looks up to should take him aside after the game and tell him to be a tad more considerate.

That's it. He doesn't need to be burned at the stake, be compared to TO, be considered a selfish prick. . . none of it.

Now, if this were to become a trend and he consistently does things (intentional or otherwise) to needle fans, I have an issue and I'll jump on the I HATE BRON bandwagon and cheer against him. I'm not even close to that point yet.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #47
dime
High School JV

lost in all this is the important reminder that duncan has always been soft. think shaq or russell or even ben wallace would ever let a guy drive right over him like that?!?
dime is offline   Reply With Quote