Head Coach

Wow Chris Guccione is a piece of shit
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 05:28 AM   #152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I read that Skenes is a possibility on Monday.

That’s the one I’m going to, fingers crossed
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:02 PM   #153
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Often unsung heroes:
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:25 AM   #154
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I loved this commercial so much....
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:34 AM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is Pete Alonso running the bases for himself in a pivotal play at the plate? Surely anyone the Mets have someone on the bench that’s a lot faster than him
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #156
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I loved this commercial so much....

I refuse to believe this was 25 years ago.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:09 PM   #157
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pirates send down former overall #1 pick Henry Davis. He had a -1.4 WAR last year in 224 ABs, playing out of position as a RF. He came into this year winning the starting C job, with the help of injuries, and hit .162/.280/.206 with -.4 WAR in 83 plate appearances. Dude hit with power and discipline through college and the minors and, while he wasn’t the consensus #1 (Jack Leiter and Jordan Lawler were in the mix, as well as Brady House for a good part of the year), he was seen as the safest with a “high floor” type of outlook.

This is now year 5 of the Ben Cherington and Derek Shelton rebuild and the team is now 14-18 and they don’t have a starting batter with an OPS over .750. The pitching in the minors looks a little better, but things are looking bad.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:38 PM   #158
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pirates send down former overall #1 pick Henry Davis. He had a -1.4 WAR last year in 224 ABs, playing out of position as a RF. He came into this year winning the starting C job, with the help of injuries, and hit .162/.280/.206 with -.4 WAR in 83 plate appearances. Dude hit with power and discipline through college and the minors and, while he wasn’t the consensus #1 (Jack Leiter and Jordan Lawler were in the mix, as well as Brady House for a good part of the year), he was seen as the safest with a “high floor” type of outlook.

This is now year 5 of the Ben Cherington and Derek Shelton rebuild and the team is now 14-18 and they don’t have a starting batter with an OPS over .750. The pitching in the minors looks a little better, but things are looking bad.

I wasn't all that high on Davis and didn't like the pick for the Pirates. Catchers are such a mixed bag that unless the defensive tools are there to raise the floor, it's difficult to justify them in round 1. Then the Pirates threw more variables into the equation by seeming to not be able to decide if they wanted his bat in the lineup or have him behind rhe plate, which is going to hurt development. You have to go all in on one or the other.

I liked Lawler and Mayer in that draft. I saw Leiter as more of a 3 starter.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:29 PM   #159
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wasn't all that high on Davis and didn't like the pick for the Pirates. Catchers are such a mixed bag that unless the defensive tools are there to raise the floor, it's difficult to justify them in round 1. Then the Pirates threw more variables into the equation by seeming to not be able to decide if they wanted his bat in the lineup or have him behind rhe plate, which is going to hurt development. You have to go all in on one or the other.

I liked Lawler and Mayer in that draft. I saw Leiter as more of a 3 starter.

I was onboard at the time because they got a few overslot guys later on, but became real concerned last year when he got called up. His defense and arm were supposed to be MLB ready in college and then they stuck him in RF when they called him up.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #160
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Elly ranks 17th in MLB in steals by a team!
Old 05-04-2024, 08:04 AM   #161
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
What do you think of Sam White? He is from our home town in Canada, used to play hockey with my son and went to school with him. Sam was always the best at every sport he played, he was just one of those guys. He was a goalie in hockey, but he'd jump in as a forward in a tournament, and be one of the top scorers. Volleyball tournament in grade school? He'd be the star. He just had that level of focus that let him be great at whatever he did.

I see that he was already starting most games as a freshman last year, so obviously they think well of him.

Sam White had a 2-homer game yesterday in WVU’s 5-4 win at Cincy. They are in the hunt for the Big 12 regular season title (1 game back from Oklahoma and WVU has the tiebreaker due to sweeping them head to head).

White is now slashing .323/.422/.538 with 8 homers and leads the team in games played and started (44-43).

Here is a twitter link to the home runs (not the best camera angles): https://x.com/WVUBaseball/status/1786522115694321943
Old 05-04-2024, 01:51 PM   #162
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Elly ranks 17th in MLB in steals by a team!

I saw yesterday, I think, that the reds are on pace for 300+ steals. That would be the most by a team since the 1985 cardinals.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 02:01 PM   #163
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If they had anyone hitting besides Elly they would be a really fun team to watch.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:12 PM   #164
PilotMan
Head Coach

Elly is so much fun to watch. He's young, and he fucks up from time to time, but man, he's fun.

I was looking at the old late 90s Reds teams, and they have some legit talent. Even when they weren't really competing, they had a handful of vet starters, and players. Maybe not the top of the top, but Schott did her best to put a good team on the field. These kids are exciting, but they are kids, and they slump together. It's going to be a long season. However, they have some stellar young pitching. Lodolo, Greene, and Abbott are very, very talented.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote