Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

iPhone 3.0 and iPhone 3GS

So the 8GB 3G is now $99
16GB 3GS is $199
32GB 3GS is $299

Looking forward to the 3.0 software, but now I'm wishing I also had a 3GS.

3GS specs so far - June 17th (that's two weeks right?)
More battery life in the 3GS and 32GB would be nice.
Video
Voice Control
3.0 Megapixel camera with touch focus
10 cm close macro focus
about twice as fast with launching Apps.
5 hours 3G talk time, 9 hours of WiFI internet.
No new colors, still just black and white.

The software specs aren't really anything new since they announced most of that more then a month ago. Disappointed that AT&T isn't going to have MMS ready till the summer. Available June 17th.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a cool phone but AT&T is just so horrible in Chicago that it's pointless to upgrade.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My bad, I overlooked the fact the iPhone is so uber-special it needs its own thread.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
My bad, I overlooked the fact the iPhone is so uber-special it needs its own thread.

Well it had one in the past (2.0), so I figured I'd make the new 3.0 one now.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

forgot "BREAKING NEWS!!!!" in the title.

Anyways, which version lets you switch out your battery or upgrade the sd memory in the phone?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
forgot "BREAKING NEWS!!!!" in the title.

Anyways, which version lets you switch out your battery or upgrade the sd memory in the phone?

My battery seems fine after a year in my 3G, and I haven't had a need for more memory since I have 16GB. But I understand your point.

I love my iPhone but I ain't no Apple fanboy, I hate Apple.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, I will threadjack this for a minute to make it my WWDC thread. I have never owned a Mac but for some reason I love how Apple announced Snow Leopard OS would be out in September (Win 7 out in Oct.) and would only cost $29 to upgrade from Leopard (Win 7 is $49 to upgrade from Vista).

The new Macbooks sound nice as well, too bad it will be 10 years before I look past their cost and think of actually buying one, although I find it a joke that having an SD card slot is considered a big addition.

I did love their graph they threw up to show how much the use of Mac OS X (basically people buying Macs for the larger part) has gone up a ton since the iPhone came out. That was pretty interesting.

Last edited by Cringer : 06-08-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, I will threadjack this for a minute to make it my WWDC thread. I have never owned a Mac but for some reason I love how Apple announced Snow Leopard OS would be out in September (Win 7 out in Oct.) and would only cost $29 to upgrade from Leopard (Win 7 is $49 to upgrade from Vista).

The new Macbooks sound nice as well, too bad it will be 10 years before I look past their cost and think of actually buying one, although I find it a joke that having an SD card slot is considered a big addition.

I did love their graph they threw up to show how much the use of Mac OS X (basically people buying Macs for the larger part) has gone up a ton since the iPhone came out. That was pretty interesting.
Yeah, there are some things Apple does well, out of everything I saw from today, the one thing they do well is allow you to upgrade your family of computers to the new OS for only $49 bucks or $29 for just a single.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Have a 3G and couldn't live with out it. Pretty cheap upgrade to the new one if you're asking me. I don't own a Mac, so no fanboy here.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I caved in and upgraded a month ago and I haven't looked back...best decision ever. It has simplified my life more than ever with what I do on the road and on the web.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I caved in and upgraded a month ago and I haven't looked back...best decision ever. It has simplified my life more than ever with what I do on the road and on the web.

How do you find AT&T on the road though? I have had Sprint all through my driving career, and had few problem spots. My co-driver tried every thing, Verizon, AT&T, and always came back to Sprint. I guess if you are in major areas/good size towns, it might not be as big of a problem though.

I had to laugh about the woman on TWiT while I was listening to the coverage. Loved the new 3G S, loved all the upgrades, but said several times now all she needs it to do is be able to make phone calls with it/not get disconnected all the time.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you find AT&T on the road though? I have had Sprint all through my driving career, and had few problem spots. My co-driver tried every thing, Verizon, AT&T, and always came back to Sprint. I guess if you are in major areas/good size towns, it might not be as big of a problem though.

I had to laugh about the woman on TWiT while I was listening to the coverage. Loved the new 3G S, loved all the upgrades, but said several times now all she needs it to do is be able to make phone calls with it/not get disconnected all the time.

I have never had a problem with service with ATT even with R3, and we were in the Boonies a lot...I do have to say it's not North Dakota friendly, probably about the only area it has sucked in.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I believe I'll be picking up this new phone - I currently have the original model iPhone and love it, so I've been waiting to upgrade until the newer model came out. Good stuff, I love the expanded battery life and new camera.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Have a 3G and couldn't live with out it. Pretty cheap upgrade to the new one if you're asking me. I don't own a Mac, so no fanboy here.
Remains to be seen for sure how much the upgrade will cost if you're a current 3G owner, but it looks like unless you are done with your contract, it'll be $400 for the 16GB and $500 for the 32GB.

Fortunately my fiance isn't on AT&T, doesn't have one yet and is interested, so that may be our route to getting a 3GS for the "new customer" price.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sprints network is the best I've ever used. I lived in Minnesota amongst the bluffs and it was one of the few companies that could get good reception there. Through my travels, I've only hit one spot where I lost reception completely (this was essentially in between two huge bluffs on a rural road).

AT&T seems spotty depending on where you live. Smaller towns and such actually seem to get better reception. The issues I've seen online are in the major cities where it just doesn't seem like they have enough towers to handle all the people. I know Chicago has tons of complaints online and in major parts of Manhattan it's unusable. There are massive threads on AT&T's site (and other IPOD forums) about signal issues in these cities. When I head out to the suburbs though, I get great reception.

I actually turned off 3G on my phone and haven't had many problems. The Edge isn't as fast for data, but I can barely make calls with it set to 3G.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Remains to be seen for sure how much the upgrade will cost if you're a current 3G owner, but it looks like unless you are done with your contract, it'll be $400 for the 16GB and $500 for the 32GB.

It makes me angry that Apple and AT&T are basically penalizing current customers by charging them more to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. I get that they want to add new iPhone customers by enticing them with a low cost iPhone but to charge $200 to $300 more to current customers to "upgrade" is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine Verizon charging me to upgrade to a new phone? I'd say "look I'm still a customer, I'll sign a new contract if I have to but the phone costs $X and that's what I should have to pay." This decision infuriates me.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all cellphone companies charged a premium to upgrade your phone before your current contract period was over.

I think that's pretty standard.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

I was expecting more.. The hardware still has nothing on my HTC Diamond and ATT's network blows along with them being slow to get new tech out like MMS.

I am waiting for the 1st phones in the US with the Snapdragon processors. Those will change the game again.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Voo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
I was expecting more.. The hardware still has nothing on my HTC Diamond and ATT's network blows along with them being slow to get new tech out like MMS.

I am waiting for the 1st phones in the US with the Snapdragon processors. Those will change the game again.

The Toshiba TG01 should be out soon in europe, I haven't seen any word about a us carrier, let alone a release date. Though honestly I wouldn't recommend anyone to the TG01 with HTC snapdragon devices rumored to be coming out late fall/early winter.
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
It makes me angry that Apple and AT&T are basically penalizing current customers by charging them more to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. I get that they want to add new iPhone customers by enticing them with a low cost iPhone but to charge $200 to $300 more to current customers to "upgrade" is absolutely ridiculous. Can you imagine Verizon charging me to upgrade to a new phone? I'd say "look I'm still a customer, I'll sign a new contract if I have to but the phone costs $X and that's what I should have to pay." This decision infuriates me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all cellphone companies charged a premium to upgrade your phone before your current contract period was over.

What KWhit said.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

We got a refurbished iMac (from Apple) about a month ago and we're enjoying it greatly. It works like a charm, is easy for the wife to use, stuff (movies, games) look great on it, and it's quiet and actually wakes up from sleep correctly!

Not a big fan of the Mighty Mouse, however.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
JediKooter
Coordinator

I work at Apple and I do not own an iPhone. Why? Because at&t can suck my sweaty balls until their throat dries up and collapses on itself and forms a tiny singularity that consumes all of their crappiness that will finally bring an end to their horrible, absolutely horrible, customer service.

The day I can use an iPhone with Verizon, is the day I will get an iPhone.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I work at Apple and I do not own an iPhone. Why? Because at&t can suck my sweaty balls until their throat dries up and collapses on itself and forms a tiny singularity that consumes all of their crappiness that will finally bring an end to their horrible, absolutely horrible, customer service.

Who actually uses customer service? I've yet to have to call AT&T customer service since I got my iPhone last year, the only time I called was to get my corporate discount and that was it.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I have been under the same "company" for about 8 years. Through merges/etc I ended at AT&T (Cellular One -> Cingular -> Eating up AT&T and remaining Cingular -> AT&T) and customer service has been fine. In addition, my coverage has always been stellar, and I live in a (major but not NYC sized) city.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Here's to hoping the 3GS is unlocked quickly so that I can use it on T-Mobile and upgrade from the 1st gen
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Who actually uses customer service? I've yet to have to call AT&T customer service since I got my iPhone last year, the only time I called was to get my corporate discount and that was it.

Oh trust me, had the issues been able to be resolved without involving customer service, we would have utilized them.

When the iPhone first came out (actually a month or so after), my wife used the free iPhone that Apple gave me. Dropped calls galore and crappy internet connection. Called customer service to see if there was an issue with service in our area, etc, etc...just complete apathy from at&t and no help at all. They just did not care, plain and simple. Cancelled it after having it for about 2 weeks.

Because of at&t's lack of help, we also cancelled everything else we had with them (DSL and land line). We now have Verizon for our mobile lines and Time Warner for 'land' line, cable and internet.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Because of at&t's lack of help, we also cancelled everything else we had with them (DSL and land line). We now have Verizon for our mobile lines and Time Warner for 'land' line, cable and internet.

Yay for Time Warner Cable... sorry I had to get that in.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Yay for Time Warner Cable... sorry I had to get that in.

Right on!

I'll throw out a yay for Apple too.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Not enough to make me want to upgrade from my 3G.

I can already record video on my iphone and don't care much about the other improvements. The only thing that would make me want buy a new one is the larger capacity, but even 32gb is small. Would love to see them push that into the 64/128gb range.

Love the phone though.. and no Apple fanboy here either.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #30
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

32GB is too small? Hell, I probably won't have any problems with the 8GB when I get a Pre. Crazy....but I am sure you will see it in a couple years.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #31
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

From what I read, that's including people who's contract is already up, too.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

My contract from buying the original iPhone is up next week, and the AT&T site is quoting me the lower prices to upgrade to the 3G S.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

u work at Apple? I didn't know that. Nifty. I presume you mean corporate, not in an Apple store.

I bet if we six-degrees-of-seperationed it we'd be like 2 or max 3 degrees away.

*shrug*

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #34
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My contract from buying the original iPhone is up next week, and the AT&T site is quoting me the lower prices to upgrade to the 3G S.
I'll have to find the article that I read.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #35
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

I haven't seen anything from AT&T or Apple, but I did see it posted somewhere yesterday that the lower prices won't apply to anyone that bought an iPhone or upgraded to the 3G within the past year.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #36
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I haven't seen anything from AT&T or Apple, but I did see it posted somewhere yesterday that the lower prices won't apply to anyone that bought an iPhone or upgraded to the 3G within the past year.

This sounds correct. The original iPhone was unsubsidized, so there wasn't any kind of "credit" in place to move to a different phone. The 3G was subsidized, so like any of their other subsidized phones, there is a "lockout" period where you can't change phones without a penalty.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #37
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
This sounds correct. The original iPhone was unsubsidized, so there wasn't any kind of "credit" in place to move to a different phone. The 3G was subsidized, so like any of their other subsidized phones, there is a "lockout" period where you can't change phones without a penalty.

Which is no different than any other provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #38
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Which is no different than any other provider.

Exactly. I am not sure why there is any confusion about this. You buy a phone and get it for a cheap price because you are agreeing to a 2 year contract usually. I know with Sprint that you basically earn credit towards another phone over those two years. If it has been a year since your contract started, then you get X amount of dollars off a new phone, if it has been 24 months you hit your maximum credit, which just so happens to usually put the price at the same as for a new customer. And you are signing a new 2 year contract for that price.

I have been doing this for 8 years with Sprint now. New phone, every two years just about. Except that first phone lasted more like 4 years. It just so happens my contract is up and I have my full credit which is why I am looking at the Pre now. If my contract wasn't up I wouldn't even pay attention to what phones are coming out.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #39
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yep. My iPhone 3G contract will be 18 months in mid-December - I know it says I'll have a lower upgrade cost at that point, but I'm not sure if it will be as low as it will be when my contract is up.

FWIW, I have a couple of co-workers that are jailbreaking their phones and fetching $550+ on eBay for their 3G iPhones - money they will use to offset the cost of upgrading to the 3GS before their contracts are up. For me, the difference isn't big enough that I want to deal with all of that, but if the fiance decides she wants an iPhone when her Verizon contract is up in August, it'll be interesting to see the differences in person.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #40
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
u work at Apple? I didn't know that. Nifty. I presume you mean corporate, not in an Apple store.

I bet if we six-degrees-of-seperationed it we'd be like 2 or max 3 degrees away.

*shrug*

Yup, in corporate. ProApps division to be exact.

I would not be surprised, haha. I never realized how many people worked there until I started working there and THEN all of the, "You worked at X company too!?"

Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
32GB is too small?

I have at least 30gb of music, and I like to carry a movie or two around as well. All of that, plus any apps purchased from the app store and I run out of room.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I take it the iPhone doesn't have a microSD slot? That is probably my big disappointment with the Pre, since Palm's have had an SD slot for a long time. Sure they didn't have 8GB of built in memory, still I think 8GB and an SD slot would have been huge. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #43
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So I was in an AT&T store today, and they said that after 18 months are up on my current contract, I'll be able to upgrade to the 3GS at the same price as new customers would. I guess I'll check out the 3GS versions my co-workers get, and if it's really a big upgrade in speed, I'll consider upgrading in December when my 18 months are up...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #44
hukarez
College Starter

I think my contract is up either at the end of this month, or mid-July - not quite so sure.

I'm still on the original 2.5G iPhone 8 gig, which has seen it's shares of accidental drops and scuffed backing, but it's still been pretty rock solid. I'm still not sure about upgrading to 3GS and have been considering an HTC phone...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #45
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I don't understand the need for an SD slot.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #46
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I don't understand the need for an SD slot.

It's definitely a "great to have" for me. Having memory card capability is useful if you outgrow the storage limits of your device (i.e., if you had an SD slot, you can just buy a bigger card). And additionally, you can use it almost like a flash drive for transferring files between phone, camera, computer, etc...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Well, not to mention the fact that a 16 gig Micro SD card is around 50 bucks(and quickly dropping in price). Apple charges you 100 dollars for that much more phone internal memory.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #48
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey, sorry for the bump, but figured I'd ask this here.

Anybody have any suggestions for an in car bluetooth kit? We're starting to get new laws around here for needing hands free in the car and I just picked up an iPhone 3GS late last week so have started looking.

Ideally I'd like one that plays music/calls over the car speakers (common enough) and that'll also charge the phone (harder to find from my searches so far).

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #49
cartman
Death Herald

It might be overkill for what you are looking for, but I have the Kenwood DNX-5120 with the iPod cable and the Bluetooth kit. The iPod cable allows the head unit to control the music part of the iPhone, and also keeps it charged. I had some issues with the Bluetooth kit when I first got it, but the latest firmware that was released has solved all of the sound quality issues I was having.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #50
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oye, that is a pretty sweet setup, but yeah, a lot of features on there I won't need/use and a price tag I'm hoping to come in a bit under.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I might have to re-evaluate and see if I can justify the extras