Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

LJ Cut

Im sure someone posted this somewhere else.... but I dont care

Kansas City Chiefs release troubled running back Larry Johnson - ESPN

now the important thing is... what happens next?

Portis is done... LJ is trouble, overrated, and big name... odds hes signed by the redksins? Number of days before he is hailed as the savior in DC?

GIT R DUN!!!

claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bears should kick the tires. They could use a better number 2 back.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's in the freaking NFL thread where everything NFL is kept.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Bears should kick the tires. They could use a better number 2 back.

The bears need to get an Oline that can make holes for their #1 back before they should consider signing a washed up #2.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

I came in here thinking you needed help doing a lj-cut on Live Journal.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It's in the freaking NFL thread where everything NFL is kept.
the one with 290000000 posts? meh.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The bears need to get an Oline that can make holes for their #1 back before they should consider signing a washed up #2.

Green Bay has some spare linemen for the Bears.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

The problem with LJ as a #2 RB is that he won't contribute on special teams...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
The problem with LJ as a #2 RB is that he won't contribute on special teams...

And he'll likely start calling every reporter and fan a 'faggot' once he finds out he's the #2 back because his ego doesn't allow that to be an option.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Shepp
High School Varsity

The talk i've seen ab out LJ being signed by the Redskins amuses me. I he just got cut by the Chiefs because he viewed himself as too good for such a crappy team. If he goes to DC, which in my opinion is just as bad or warse than KC, I don't see him just thanking his lucky stars and being a good team player.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Patriots? They have the no-nonsense locker room that could keep his inner asshole in check. And they are enough of a winner for him if that's what he wants.

I think that the bigger issue may be that he's just not that good anymore. It wasn't like he wasn't getting touches this season. He just averaged ~ 3.0 ypc with those touches. Jamal "you've never heard of me" Charles has looked better than him in limited action.

The question may not be as much "who will get him?" as "who would want him?"
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

I remember that Jerry wanted him desperately four or so years ago. Thank god our backfield is overloaded as it is right now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

LJ Is cooked. No way that the Pats would take him.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

If Washington wanted to get him, would Vinny Cerrato insist that KC pick him back up first so that he could give the Chiefs their 2010 1st rounder and 3rd round picks in 2010 and 2011?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Spin on ESPN's fantasy page about him is that Houston might be interested. Makes sense, I guess. I mean, you can go 8-8 with Larry Johnson or 8-8 without Larry Johnson. So I guess you can sign him--might give your front office something to do.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-10-2009 at 11:07 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Patriots? They have the no-nonsense locker room that could keep his inner asshole in check. And they are enough of a winner for him if that's what he wants.

I think that the bigger issue may be that he's just not that good anymore. It wasn't like he wasn't getting touches this season. He just averaged ~ 3.0 ypc with those touches. Jamal "you've never heard of me" Charles has looked better than him in limited action.

The question may not be as much "who will get him?" as "who would want him?"
Belichick already said its not happening. Surprised he said anything at all.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
NewIdentity
High School JV

I don't understand his salary situation.

IF you sign him immediately your teams is responsible for his Chiefs Salary, but if you wait a while then he becomes a total free agent and then your team can sign him for league minimum. OR something like that. I didn't get all the details yesterday when Clayton was talking about this.

According to ESPN's Schefter, Johnson wants to sign with the Steelers. This would make absolutely no sense with the emergence of Mendenhall. Schefler mentioned something about Johnson becoming the Steelers short yardage back and how Johnson has always dreamed about playing for the Steelers.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-10-2009 at 11:49 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If you claim him on waivers you claim his contract. If he passes through waivers the Chiefs pay his contract, and he's a free agent to be signed for whatever people offer.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
If you claim him on waivers you claim his contract. If he passes through waivers the Chiefs pay his contract, and he's a free agent to be signed for whatever people offer.
What kind of time frame are we talking about? When does he clear waivers and would the Chiefs receive any compensation if you claimed him off waivers other than the money?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think the process ends this afternoon. The Chiefs receive nothing either way outside of not having to pay him the cash, I believe.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think the process ends this afternoon. The Chiefs receive nothing either way outside of not having to pay him the cash, I believe.

That's correct. He gets $2.1M from the Chiefs at the end of the business day today if no one claims him.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I just can't see the Steelers signing Larry Johnson. He wasn't happy as Priest Holmes' backup in KC so I can't imagine he'd be happy backing anyone up for more than this season. He'd expect to start next year or he'd whine about it and demand a trade like he did with KC. The guys a team cancer. He was a cancer at Penn State, a cancer in KC, and likely a cancer at his next stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I don't understand his salary situation.

IF you sign him immediately your teams is responsible for his Chiefs Salary, but if you wait a while then he becomes a total free agent and then your team can sign him for league minimum. OR something like that. I didn't get all the details yesterday when Clayton was talking about this.

According to ESPN's Schefter, Johnson wants to sign with the Steelers. This would make absolutely no sense with the emergence of Mendenhall. Schefler mentioned something about Johnson becoming the Steelers short yardage back and how Johnson has always dreamed about playing for the Steelers.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Seattle makes sense for him but in this city he may be a PR nightmare.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Oakland. He may make sense in Jacksonville also.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hopefully nobody signs him and he can play for the Las Vegas Locomotives!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

San Diego? it is hard to say whether Tomlinson is more done than Johnson. Both suck this year. And neither deserve to go by initials anymore.

And don't the jets/Falcons both have a bit of a running back need?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I just can't see the Steelers signing Larry Johnson. He wasn't happy as Priest Holmes' backup in KC so I can't imagine he'd be happy backing anyone up for more than this season. He'd expect to start next year or he'd whine about it and demand a trade like he did with KC. The guys a team cancer. He was a cancer at Penn State, a cancer in KC, and likely a cancer at his next stop.

Yeah, what the hell. Mendenhall is the short-yardage and every-down back, they don't need a washed up LJ.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #28
NewIdentity
High School JV

I think if he likes PA then Philadelphia would be the better fit with Westbrook always going down.
Michael Jordan
Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
San Diego? it is hard to say whether Tomlinson is more done than Johnson. Both suck this year. And neither deserve to go by initials anymore.

And don't the jets/Falcons both have a bit of a running back need?

Chargers run blocking is spectacularly bad. An average run is either three or more defenders through the line of scrimmage before the RB gets the ball or some fat ass sitting in the hole the RB is supposed to run through trying to move his guy out of the way. I've never seen so many plays run into the back of the guard/center in my life and it's not just LT.

Tomlinson would be still be useful back on a lot of other teams, even though he doesn't run with power anymore his cuts are still pretty sharp and he's still got some burst (at least now he's 100% from the ankle and foot injuries) Johnson would be lucky to average 1.5 YPC behind that line, I doubt he'd even get out of the backfield most of the time. Not saying LT is a good back anymore but he's got a lot more left that Johnson IMO.

I don't see anyone picking LJ up. I think his career is done. He's a cancer and hasn't been effective for a number of years now. When you can pick up an undrafted back from FA and have him be a decent backup and know he'll work his ass off for the spot, why take a risk on a guy like Johnson?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He won't cost you but the veteran minimum. Someone will kick the tires. He needs to play well if he wants to play next year and someone will figure he can come in and be useful, even if it's off the bench.

Pretty low risk move IMHO.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He may make sense in Jacksonville also.

Why?

MJD is fine as the starter, and for a backup they have a guy who fits the requirements for backup RB in this league. He is a 7th rounder, so cheap. And, he is different from the starter, so he presents a change of pace to the defense.