Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

World Series of Poker ME Spoiler Thread

The final table has started and I thought I'd do a separate thread so those who planned to watch it on TV wouldn't be spoiled.

I'm following via live updates on World Series of Poker - Official Tournament Coverage and Results..

So far the only elimination is Akenhead. Ivey is roughly in the same spot he was at the beginning.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

any live video streams?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Comey
College Starter

You won't get video, but Bluffmagazine.com has a live audio stream.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

http://www.wsop.com/tourney/updates....=7283&grid=607

not live video, but hand-by-hand blog of the results.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol, fans of Joe Cada get kicked out, lol
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Hand #68 - Kevin Schaffel Eliminated in 8th Place ($1,300,231)
Eric Buchman has the button. In middle position, Kevin Schaffel makes a raise to 1,250,000, and Steve Begleiter puts in the call from the cutoff seat. With position working for him, Eric Buchman squeezes in a re-raise to 5,750,000. When it comes back around to Schaffel, he drops the hammer and moves all in for about 17,200,000. Begs gets the message and quickly runs for cover, but Buchman is not so quickly pacified. He stands from his chair and leans over the table to get a better look. A short chat follows, and it ends with Buchman making the call to put Schaffel at risk.
Showdown
Schaffel: Buchman: For the second time in less than 5 hours, we've got aces versus kings at the final table of the Main Event. The crowd again presses in toward the table as the dealer runs out an astounding flop: ! Schaffel looks absolutely gutshot as Buchman finds his king to take a huge lead with two to come. "Still two cards, still two cards," Schaffel's fans reassure themselves. "He's got a straight draw." If the flop was crushing, the turn card was soul shattering for Schaffel. The spiked the board to improve Buchman to quad kings and leave Schaffel stone dead, his eighth-place fate already sealed before the river was even out on board. The crowd once again exploded in shock and awe as Schaffel shook hands with the table and bowed out gracefully. That's all she wrote for Kevin Shaffel today. After a fine performance in front of a huge crowd of his friends and family, he has been relegated to the rail in 8th place. Just seven players are still in contention for this Main Event title.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Schaffel seemed like a good guy. I remember his knockout from a few years ago and he took it well.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- interesting that Darvin Moon didn't take a sponsorship deal. Gotta figure he left at least 6 figures on the table.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

wow WTF. hand history pieced together from pokernews:

Moon raises to 1.3m UTG
Beglighter re-raises to 3.9m with position on moon.
Moon calls.

Pot ~8 million give or take a little with blinds/antes.

Flop: 4s 3s 2d

Moon checks
Beglighter bets 5.35m
Moon check/raises to 15m
Beglighter all-in for 21m total.

Pot is ~44 million, 6m to call for Moon, getting over 7:1 on his money. Moon folds.

WTF!?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

crazy
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

back from dinner break. Cada just called an all in raise with AJ against Jeff Shulman's AK, they were the two smallest stacks, Cada barely had Shulman covered and is crippled now(1.7m left, 250/500k blinds).
Old 11-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Phil Ivey Eliminated in 7th Place ($1,404,014)
Hand No. 175 - Antoine Saout has the button. Phil Ivey has first action and moves all in, setting a half-eaten apple down on a side table after he does so. Action passes all the way around to big blind Darvin Moon, who calls without much fanfare and flips over . Ivey has to the delight of the crowd. He's a big favorite to double up! "I have a bad feeling about this," said blogging partner gsqwared on my right. Ivey seems totally unmoved by everything going on. He's chewing on an apple as the theater absolutely erupts into chants of "Ivey! Ivey! Ivey!". Seriously. It's 1,200 people chanting for Ivey right now. If Moon has any supporters, we can't find them. Ivey's fans are shattered by a flop of . Moon makes a pair of queens to take the lead. The look on Ivey's face doesn't change one bit. He just takes another bite of his apple. The crowd is pleading for a king, but the turn is the . Darvin Moon is about to become the most hated man in poker. Ivey is down to one last chance at a three-outer. The river peels off to eliminate Phil Ivey in 7th place. The whole table (except for Darvin Moon, we note) stands up and applauds Ivey, shaking his hand before he exits the stage with one last wave to the crowd. Moon is up to 39.3 million in chips. Ivey is off to collect less money than he loses in a single throw of the craps dice.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

F Darvin Moon.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
back from dinner break. Cada just called an all in raise with AJ against Jeff Shulman's AK, they were the two smallest stacks, Cada barely had Shulman covered and is crippled now(1.7m left, 250/500k blinds).

and yet he's 2:1 chip leader heads up at the break...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

How often does this happen?

Cada had 2 million in chips at 0051 this morning with 7 guys still at the table. Now, he has 135 million going into the final two. That's pretty cool.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
Comey
College Starter

Anything's possible. There's the story of Jack Strauss in the 1982 WSOP, where he was knocked out, only to find a single $500 chip under a napkin that belonged to him. He went onto win the tournament.

This is of zero consequence to the WSOP, but I've gone through this once, where I had 1500 with the blinds at 500/1000 as we went down to the final table in a tournament...I was in the BB, won that, won the next hand, and went onto win the tournament.

Anything can happen. It's going to be interesting to see this Cada fellow (I have yet to see an episode, as I don't have cable right now).

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
and yet he's 2:1 chip leader heads up at the break...

yeah that's a hell of a comeback.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
This is of zero consequence to the WSOP, but I've gone through this once, where I had 1500 with the blinds at 500/1000 as we went down to the final table in a tournament...I was in the BB, won that, won the next hand, and went onto win the tournament.

SirFozzie(I'm pretty sure that's who it was at least!) won one of our FOFC tourneys after I had won a big hand against him and had a chiplead of 8950-50 or something like that.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

THink that was the only one I ever won, if I remember correctly.

BTW, reading the final table blog on ESPN... don't think I'll watch. Too many bad plays and luckboxes being rewarded.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

Cada had two backers who get half his winnings and then he swapped 1% with another guy. After all that and taxes he'll take home between 1.5m and 2m.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
"The whole table (except for Darvin Moon, we note) stands up and applauds Ivey, shaking his hand before he exits the stage with one last wave to the crowd. Moon is up to 39.3 million in chips. Ivey is off to collect less money than he loses in a single throw of the craps dice."

Just watched it...Moon was on Ivey's right and was the first to shake his hand.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Phil Ivey Eliminated in 7th Place ($1,404,014)
Hand No. 175 - Antoine Saout has the button. Phil Ivey has first action and moves all in, setting a half-eaten apple down on a side table after he does so. Action passes all the way around to big blind Darvin Moon, who calls without much fanfare and flips over . Ivey has to the delight of the crowd. He's a big favorite to double up! "I have a bad feeling about this," said blogging partner gsqwared on my right. Ivey seems totally unmoved by everything going on. He's chewing on an apple as the theater absolutely erupts into chants of "Ivey! Ivey! Ivey!". Seriously. It's 1,200 people chanting for Ivey right now. If Moon has any supporters, we can't find them. Ivey's fans are shattered by a flop of . Moon makes a pair of queens to take the lead. The look on Ivey's face doesn't change one bit. He just takes another bite of his apple. The crowd is pleading for a king, but the turn is the . Darvin Moon is about to become the most hated man in poker. Ivey is down to one last chance at a three-outer. The river peels off to eliminate Phil Ivey in 7th place. The whole table (except for Darvin Moon, we note) stands up and applauds Ivey, shaking his hand before he exits the stage with one last wave to the crowd. Moon is up to 39.3 million in chips. Ivey is off to collect less money than he loses in a single throw of the craps dice.

This description is a bit misleading. He was sitting down while other people were applauding, but he was the very first person to shake Ivey's hand.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #23
kcchief19
Pro Starter

All in all I thought it was a very unsatisfying ending, and after what I thought was exceptional and in-depth coverage ESPN went back to its old ways for the final table. Granted, I like that they gave us 2 1/2 hours and that they showed the back and forth among Moon and Cada heads up, but it seemed like they rushed through all the exits in about 20-30 minutes. Guys were bouncing out left and right at the end of their coverage.

Making it more unsatisfying to me was Cada winning. I know he's got a good reputation as another "young gun" but considering the suckouts he hit at the final table, he was very lucky to win. I give him credit for coming back from disaster but it was still a lucky win.

Moon would have been lucky too. I though Saout played some of the best poker at the final table and just got unlucky at the wrong time.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Agree, Cada didnt really play well until it was heads up. Of course this final table was filled with suckouts. I have this strong feeling that if Ivey's AK had held up he was going to win. It really sucks as I want to see a good pro win it again. Since Hashem won I havent been real impressed with the winner. The runner up last year is a good player.

And how Moneymaker won this thing is beyone belief. He is one of the most impatient players I have ever seen play much poker.

I wonder if its ego that changes some of these players also. Hashem was such a good sport about everything back when he won the WSOP now when you watch him he is showing signs of Hellmuth.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-11-2009 at 12:09 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #25
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

My recording cut off at Cada sucking out with 22 but I was pretty disappointed with the entire final table including how it was handled by ESPN. I can only take people getting rewarded for playing bad so many times.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
My recording cut off at Cada sucking out with 22 but I was pretty disappointed with the entire final table including how it was handled by ESPN. I can only take people getting rewarded for playing bad so many times.

This happened to us too. Did they show the heads up last night or what? What awful coverage by ESPN.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, they showed the heads up. It was actually pretty good. The show went about 20 minutes past the scheduled ending time.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #28
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I understand your frustration with people like Darvin Moon continually winning on bad calls but how exactly is ESPN supposed to cover it? Are they supposed to say that someone else just got knocked out but we didn't cover it because it was a "bad beat"?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #29
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks.

That's insanely frustrating, especially because we had all intentionally avoided finding out the results. This was a pre-packaged show...there should be no need to extend recording beyond the scheduled time. Did they forget to notify the TIVO/DVR services they had changed it to a longer show?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The first thing that comes to my mind is "tell it to the cards".

In the end, sometimes shit happens that shouldn't & shit that should happen doesn't. To borrow from NASCAR "that's poker".
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Thanks.

That's insanely frustrating, especially because we had all intentionally avoided finding out the results. This was a pre-packaged show...there should be no need to extend recording beyond the scheduled time. Did they forget to notify the TIVO/DVR services they had changed it to a longer show?

Seems like they were either feeling that they simply couldn't tolerate editing any more out or they just wanted to give it more of a feeling of being live for those who don't follow it daily in the run up.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #32
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is "tell it to the cards".

In the end, sometimes shit happens that shouldn't & shit that should happen doesn't. To borrow from NASCAR "that's poker".

Yep. Another good sports analogy would be that everyone cheers for the Yankees and Lakers to fail and for the underdogs in the NCAA tournament and the BCS but when it comes to poker they want the best player to win, the second best to come in 2nd, etc...

Last edited by panerd : 11-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seems like they were either feeling that they simply couldn't tolerate editing any more out or they just wanted to give it more of a feeling of being live for those who don't follow it daily in the run up.

From a friend who works in television scheduling:

"It takes about 48 hours to fully update everybody's listings and program data on the nations tivos/dvrs. Obviously they didn't think this thru."

So, at some point they decided to show more heads up coverage, but either didn't know how much time it would take or whatever. Result (particularly for those on the west coast probably most dependent on Tivo to watch this) is the cut off show.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
From a friend who works in television scheduling:

"[size=2]It takes about 48 hours to fully update everybody's listings and program data on the nations tivos/dvrs. Obviously they didn't think this thru."

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure so I didn't mention it.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The coverage aspect that was frustrating was that they actually skipped a lot of important hands. I wish they would've just scheduled another hour to show us more.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
There's the story of Jack Strauss in the 1982 WSOP, where he was knocked out, only to find a single $500 chip under a napkin that belonged to him. He went onto win the tournament.

That sounds like folklore. Unless the person he lost his last hand to had him covered by less than $500, shouldn't that $500 been considered part of his "all in" bet and that chip really belonged to the other guy?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
That sounds like folklore. Unless the person he lost his last hand to had him covered by less than $500, shouldn't that $500 been considered part of his "all in" bet and that chip really belonged to the other guy?
He didn't call all-in. He just pushed the chips into the middle.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #38
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

Supposedly he never declared "all-in", and that is why the tournament director allowed him to continue.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

I was luckily sitting at my TV and just about caught up when my recording stopped...so I missed maybe 10 minutes of coverage (and Saout's departure... I agree he seemed to be playing the best poker of the lot that I saw, for what that's worth). But had I worked hard to embargo myself from updates for two days so I could watch this on ESPN... and then gotten screwed out of the last half hour due to their decision, I would have been awfully pissed. Seriously gang, you just stumbled on this massive cash cow and are drawing actual respectable audiences to watch it... any chance you could at least get it right? In the words of seemingly every poker player... ONE TIME!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #40
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Yeah I managed to avoid all information about it until about 5 minutes after the final table started on ESPN. I was watching my roomate play the Epic 9 tournament on AP while recording it and someone asked Phil Hellmuth what he thought about Cada winning.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #41
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Unfortunatly I had two things get me. One was Pokerstars running an ad congradulating Phil Ivey in making the final table with about 60 people left in the tournament. That took a lot of the drama out of any all-in hand he was involved in. Then both Yahoo and hotmail (MSN?) had pictures and stories of Cada winning the tournament on either Monday or Tuesday. I guess tape delay isn't what is used to be. I luckily decided to watch last night also because I would have been pissed if I watched all the coverage up until the final table and then miss the heads up due to a programming error.