Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 AM   #1
Dunleavy
High School JV

deciding on a Laptop

I’m pulling out my hair spending the last few hours surfing for Laptop reviews, but there are just too many sites and laptops for me to keep it all straight. I know what I want, I’m just not sure what laptop it is. Here is what I’m looking for in order of importance.

Most important

-Battery life. By far the #1 thing I’m looking for in a laptop

-Lots of space, 100 GB, 512 Ram

-Processing speed, 2+ ghz

-Bluetooth

-Screen, 17 inch, high quality

-Video card. Think Rise of Nations, not Halo. Not top of the line, but above average.

-Mobility. Not too heavy if possible

-Price not an issue if it’s what I want

Hope I didn’t forget anything, not an expert at this. This would be my first laptop, I have a desktop and basically I want the laptop to be able to do everything the desktop can regardless if I’m in the other room or 3,000 miles away. Biggest issue is battery life, need to use hours at a time away from an outlet.

Any help appreciated, if you know of a laptop that fits me or just a great laptop website (been to notebookforums.com, pretty good but couldn’t register

Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

Well, the best way to improve battery life is to get a less powerful machine. No company has an inherent advantage over the others in terms of battery - they all use the same ones. So, the key is to get a laptop that uses less power. Again, no company has any advantage here, they all use essentially the same components, so really the only way to conserve power is to get a processor that runs slowly (fast ones use more power).
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

stay away from HP laptops. I didn't learn my lesson ith number 1, bought number 2 and now have the same power problem I had with the first one. this one took a lot longer to develop, but its the same damn thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was never a big fan of the dell laptops, however while doing research to decided what to get, almost every businessman, and frequent traveler liked the dells better than any other laptop. I ended up getting a dell, and have been happy with it. But I don't have enough to compare it to, to decide if it's better than any other.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

IBM's are amazing, but you do pay a premium for them. If its not an issue, then that may be the way to go.

As for games, the problem is that when unplugged, laptops are running a lot slower than their advertised speed- most games will be fairly slow on them. you can speed up this power, but you trade of battery life for it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote