Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
PhilSavage
n00b

What kind of transaction can ONLY be done immediately before the Super Bowl?

I'm playing in a new (first season about to end) MP FoF 2K4 game. Only a handful of the owners are human controlled and none of them made it past the 1st round of the playoffs. We had planned to just sim the rest of the playoff games as a block and then move on to the off season, but one of the owners has requested that we stop the simming just before the Super Bowl so that he can "make a move". I assume it's a roster move, but he didn't explicitly say so. He says that this move can only be made during that specific stage...immediately before the Super Bowl...not before and not after.

Needless to say, this has peeked my interest and made me wonder what I am missing.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

PhilSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:17 AM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

That doesn't make much sense.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Not much sense at all...
Old 06-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Your friend is full of delirious, like Eddie Murphy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
PhilSavage
n00b

Heh heh...I found out what it is and it's no big deal:

He has an injured player on his roster that he doesn't want to keep. However, he can't cut him while he's injured (obviously). It just so happens that the week before the Super Bowl is the week he expects him to get healthy, thus he can't cut him until then. Also, he has multiple years remaining on his contract, with a pretty sizable signing bonus. He wants to cut him this year because he has the cap room to absorb the pro-rated bonus hit rather than taking it next year. So it's not so much that he "can't" do it after the Super Bowl as it doesn't help him as much to do so.
PhilSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSavage
Heh heh...I found out what it is and it's no big deal:

He has an injured player on his roster that he doesn't want to keep. However, he can't cut him while he's injured (obviously). It just so happens that the week before the Super Bowl is the week he expects him to get healthy, thus he can't cut him until then. Also, he has multiple years remaining on his contract, with a pretty sizable signing bonus. He wants to cut him this year because he has the cap room to absorb the pro-rated bonus hit rather than taking it next year. So it's not so much that he "can't" do it after the Super Bowl as it doesn't help him as much to do so.

That makes sense.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
BradAttitude
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSavage
Also, he has multiple years remaining on his contract, with a pretty sizable signing bonus. He wants to cut him this year because he has the cap room to absorb the pro-rated bonus hit rather than taking it next year. So it's not so much that he "can't" do it after the Super Bowl as it doesn't help him as much to do so.

If he cuts him prior to the start of next season, after the superbowl, he'll take the cap hit next season.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

yeah this strategy wont' work. When you're cut, all bonus will accelerate to the next year. So his choice is really only between having a huge hit next year or the year after that. He can't do anything to get the bonus moved up into the current year.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote