Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Should the government pay for Sesame Street?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/arts/pbs.asp
Quote:
Although a long-outdated piece decrying supposed upcoming cuts in funding for the NEA, NPR, PBS, and Sesame Street has been circulating for years (it addressed legislation already voted upon way back in 1995), recent congressional efforts have brought the issue to public attention again.

In June 2005 a House subcommittee voted to sharply reduce federal financial support for public broadcasting (including funds for shows such as "Sesame Street") If this budgetary plan were approved, it would eliminate within two years all federal money for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which currently makes up 15% of the funding for PBS. As the Washington Post reported:
A House subcommittee voted yesterday to sharply reduce the federal government's financial support for public broadcasting, including eliminating taxpayer funds that help underwrite such popular children's educational programs as "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster."
Broadcasting — which passes federal funds to public broadcasters — starting with a 25 percent reduction in CPB's budget for next year, from $400 million to $300 million.

The House measure also cuts support for a variety of smaller projects, such as a $39.6 million public TV satellite distribution network and a $39.4 million program that helps public stations update their analog TV signals to digital format.
Although this legislation, if approved, would not (as claimed in older petitions) affect funding for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), it would obviously have a significant impact on public broadcasting outlets, which would have to turn to other sources to try to make up the lost revenue.

Although most efforts to protect public broadcasting from these proposed budget cuts urge supporters to affix their names to some type of petition, we believe the most effective course of action is to contact one's congressional representative(s) directly, by U.S. mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail.

stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

The government should NOT pay for Sesame Street. It should pay for Blue's Clues.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not one penny should go to the bitter bastard on Blue's Clues!
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Big Bird could use some new implants, so yes.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

That's terrible if they pull the funding.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This may be overturned if it passes the house and senate. It's not perfect, but it's better. You can listen to a piece from this mornings NPR broadcast:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4707441
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

What the hell? I always thought Sesame Street was brought to me by the letter W.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
That's terrible if they pull the funding.

I agree. If anything they should get more funding, not less.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Tigercat
College Starter

Sesame Street is worth every penny. Barney and Telletubbies(sp?) on the other hand... Barney teaches what, singing songs and maybe things like manners? God knows what Telletubbies teaches. Sesame Street has helped teach generations of children things like numbers, letters, and various other skills that can help prepare kids for early schooling.

I was up early Saturday morning a few weeks ago and saw the spanish language version of Sesame Street on KET(Kentucky's PBS). That was quite a weird trip. The Spanish songs were catchy, and Spanish big bird look like an even fruiter version of Big Bird who crashed into a stack of opened paint cans.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I mean what then, CSI - Kindergarden Edition?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
What the hell? I always thought Sesame Street was brought to me by the letter W.

Brilliant!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #12
Kevin
High School JV

Yes, but W doesn't have the deep pockets of the number 8. They lost that deal when Oscar made derogatory comments about cubed prime numbers.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #13
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Actually, I don't think Sesame street is going to be in any danger if funding is pulled from PBS. Sesame Street Picks up a lot of other money from videos, toys etc. It is the other shows, like that Joy of Painting show, or reading rainbow or whatever that is going to feal the pinch from losing 15% of thier funding.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

If something is worth supporting and having around, then the means will always be found to do so. This applies to any non-core entities fully or partially subsidized by the Federal Govt. This helps weed out those things that are not worthy of support and to provide a boon to those underwriting support for the popular programs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Buc: Huh? By this logic we can just stop funding the federal goverment and let the chips fall where they may. Pulling funding isn't really a fair way to "weed out those things that are not worthy of support"

You can argue that we don't need Sesame Street, but saying that federal funding has no effect is ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the federal funding is what makes it good. I really don't want Sesame Street presented by Wal-Mart.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Buc: Huh? By this logic we can just stop funding the federal goverment and let the chips fall where they may. Pulling funding isn't really a fair way to "weed out those things that are not worthy of support"

Sure it is. With the popularity of something like Sesame Street and NPR, you wouldn't think that corporate and foundation underwriters would love to sponsor such those? We are forced to partially support programming on PBS regardless if it's good or if anyone is watching it. The Federal Govt does not hold themselves to accountable in spending our money. By taking it out of their hands, we (as consumers) get to decide. Otherwise, it becomes nothing more than a political tool to be decided by backroom deals and arm-twistings.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
the federal funding is what makes it good. I really don't want Sesame Street presented by Wal-Mart.

I disagree. Your local symphony derives support solely from your local lovers of the arts and they strive to present the product possible within their support to present to their customers. Those that chose to contribute should have a direct say in the quality of products (as PBS does for the most part). The more you take it out of our hands in and give it the powers in Wash DC, we lose more direct control.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Have you watched sesame street latly It alread has a comercial just before and after the show saying that Sesame Street is presented by Danimals (I think that it was Danimals last time I watched with my son).
Old 06-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

well greater minds than me can hash it out but it's worked fine to this point.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #21
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Have you watched sesame street latly It alread has a comercial just before and after the show saying that Sesame Street is presented by Danimals (I think that it was Danimals last time I watched with my son).

Add Beaches Resorts and McDonald's to the list of Sesame Street's corporate sponsors.

I'd just as soon not have my son be advertised to at all when watching an educational program.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your local symphony derives support solely from your local lovers of the arts and they strive to present the product possible within their support to present to their customers.

Not any symphony I know. They all get money from the NEA, from state art agencies and many from locality agencies. Almost every symphony in the country will fold without government funding.

I kow that you would cut a ton of federal spending and that's fine, but your contention that federal funding has no effect is crazy. I'm certain education funding for special ed students can't exist without federal spending, but you seem to think that the market will support it if its worthwhile. There are some things that can't function within the constructs of the free market and need government money to survive.

That probably doesn't apply to Sesame Street and if you want to argue that the government shouldn't fund Sesame Street, fine, but you can't just say everything good will still exist without government funding.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #23
Joe
Pro Starter

the government funds sesame street? That means Bert and Ernie can't be gay! Conspiracy solved.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

JPhillips: I am speaking generally as a libertarian. If one is very concerned about the growing power of the Federal Govt, the ever expanding budgets and deficits, and the continued erosion of local control and say, how does one begin to turn that around? I certainly don't advocate that this is the first place to start but the general mindset that I argue against is that one can say that anything the govt funds must be worthwhile. It is - to at least one person - and then you multiply that by millions of endeavors and special interests. Pretty soon, we have $2+ trillion budgets, reduced accountability and a bureaucracy that has to take in too much money to meet their obligations.

How do we (as the public) learn to accept less in order to gain more control?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #25
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Public broadcasting is one of the things that makes our country great.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #26
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

dola...

And as an applicant for an NEA grant next year, I certainly wouldn't support efforts to carve it down.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Big Bird could use some new implants, so yes.

As a side note, Big Bird is a good friend of mine.

It's strange. I went to a well-respected acting school and the biggest star out of any of my classmates wears a bird suit.

Well, not "strange" so much as "sad."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #28
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I think PBS' funding should be cut until they bring back Wishbone. Man I loved that show.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #29
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's a rational argument and to a certain extent I agree.

What you seemed to be saying above though was that anything not funded privately must not be worthwhile. I disagree with that strongly. There are some things that can't exist solely through private funding.

At the end of the day this is probably another argument where we see different roles for the government and that won't be bridged. But, I certainly am with you on the growing deficit.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

Apparently the President thought the same thing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #31
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit

It's strange. I went to a well-respected acting school and the biggest star out of any of my classmates wears a bird suit.

You know Carroll Spinney? Or Matt Vogel? I assume the latter, since Spinney's now 72 years old. Either way - that's very cool.

I've always thought working on Sesame Street would be a fun gig - does your friend like it?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #32
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What ever happened to the Electric Company? Wasn't that on PBS as well?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit

From the "glass as half full", you could look at it as being one more useful and productive member of society than usually comes out of an acting class

SI

Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #34
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sesame Street taught me a lot when I was a kid. I really believe it helps education, and that's an area that should receive more funding, not less. Yeah, I'm in Canada, but that doesn't mean I don't want Sesame Street to be around anymore or anything... it's still shown here.

On that note, has anyone else watched the Canadian "skits" of Sesame street? At least I think it was Sesame Street... there was some old woman puppet, some big grey bear, and some small animal thing named Louie who had a French accent? I hated when the skits came on, and I believe it was in Canada only...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #35
hhiipp
College Prospect

I caught an episode last week and they had "Grouch Eye for the Happy Guy" or something to that effect. You guessed it, 5 puppets that looked like Oscar were trying to make a 'happy' guy grouchy. . .
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #36
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

zoo
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #37
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

errr....zoom
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #38
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
I caught an episode last week and they had "Grouch Eye for the Happy Guy" or something to that effect. You guessed it, 5 puppets that looked like Oscar were trying to make a 'happy' guy grouchy. . .

It was Bob they were accosting - and he described his makeover into a grouch as being "kind of freeing."
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #39
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Chappelle riff on Oscar is hilarious.

"Bitch, I live in a trash can!"
Old 06-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #40
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
I think PBS' funding should be cut until they bring back Wishbone. Man I loved that show.

Who wants to play with the cute little dog?

My kid had a thing for Wishbone. I got her a talking Wishbone. I find stuffed animals that speak in the 3rd person somewhat disturbing...

-----------------

Sesame Street & Electric Compay need to have deluxe DVD seasonal sets released. I would love to watch the old Shows from the 70's again! Ever since Satan... I mean Elmo took over the show sucks more than was ever thought possible back in 1977...

Truthfully Sesame Street "Jumped The Shark" when Mr. Hooper died.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #41
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What the hell do they need funding for? Big Bird Suit dry-cleaning?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #42
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
Who wants to play with the cute little dog?

My kid had a thing for Wishbone. I got her a talking Wishbone. I find stuffed animals that speak in the 3rd person somewhat disturbing...

Arlie bought me a stuffed Wishbone for Valentine's Day one year. The one where Wishbone was dressed up as Romeo from Romeo and Juliet. It was sweet.

I didn't talk thought - talking stuffed toys give me nightmares (Teddy Ruxpin gives me the willies).
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
What the hell do they need funding for? Big Bird Suit dry-cleaning?

I'm pretty sure tv stations and antennas and cameras and the like cost money.

SI

Old 06-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #44
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I just read about a bill that seemed good to me, but I wanted to hear what some of the conservative/liberterians around here thought of it. At some point in the not too distant future, currently 2008 but I suspect later than that, PBS, like all broadcast stations, will have to convert to digital broadcasting. This will free up broadcasting spectrum, which the government is going to sell. The legaslation would propose that 20% of that sale would be set aside into a sort of trust fund. This fund would give grants to colleges and universities, but more importantly it would give the Corporation for Public Broadcasting an endowment of about 400 million dollars.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #45
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

A friend of mine did PR for Sesame Street for a while (The Sesame Street Biography was her idea.) She said that after hours the studio is wierd... She looked up and Mr. Snufalufagus was hanging from the rafters.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #46
Airhog
Captain Obvious

they should let the government fund it. we could have even better words

L is for Libereal
R is for Right Wing
H is for hooker
p is for pork barrel

Let's really give our kids a leg up.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Saw this over on tv.com (cnet's site that bought out tvtome.com)

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=378

House restores $100 million in funds to Public Broadcasting
By Colin Mahan | more stories by this author
June 23, 2005 at 05:18:00 PM

The US House of Representatives votes to restore $100 million to a previously slashed budget.

When Congress voted to cut PBS funding by 25 percent, public television stations and their supporters mobilized to have Congress restore the cuts. Now, Congress has voted to restore $100 million to Public Broadcasting's 2006 budget.

Republican lawmakers said the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which runs Public Broadcasting Service and National Public Radio, could make up the rest of the needed money through pledge drives and corporate sponsorships. They also stipulated that the federal funds would not be used for the "Ready to Learn" kids grant or for assisting PBS with digital conversion.

In a related story, Patricia Harrison, former cochair of the Republican National Committee, was appointed chief executive officer of the CPB.

SI

Old 06-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hell, if the government is paying for Viagra through Medicare, I think it can pay for Sesame Street.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #49
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I always thought this was very worthy of funding.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #50
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

Setting aside the issue of whether the govt should fund PBS, the govt shouldn't have to, except somebody over there isn't too sharp. Walk in your local toy store, or the toy dept. of your neighborhood Wal-Mart. How many things do you see with a Sesame Street character? How many videos on the shelves, and how much potential for more? The licensing from that should fund PBS entirely (and maybe pay off the national debt as well!), except PBS apparently doesn't know much about licensing. If somebody at PBS thought like an evil capitalist, they wouldn't be worried now about the govt telling them how to program. Water under the bridge, maybe, but there are still things that could be done. Some of you who, like me, were children in the 70's, I bet would buy Electric Company, Zoom, or Mr. Rogers videos for their kids. But you can't find them. Somebody isn't thinking.
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote