Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Advice on TiVo repair

Okay... this sort of information has been surprisingly hard to find on the net. Hoping someone here (as usual) might be able to help me.

Bought a Series 2 TiVo about three years ago, and got the "hardware lifetime" service plan. Now, that machine seems to have broken down, and I'm in the curious spot of possibly preferring to repair this box (and continue the free monthly service) to replacing it with a newer, more feature-intensive one. (Current box is 40 hours, single tuner, pretty basic by today's standards, but we are not terribly TV-intensive people)

The Geek Squad/Best buy folks locally were of no help. I have an IT guy at work I will ask, but if there's some general guidance out there, I'm listening.

It wouldn't be a tragedy if we just went to a new monthly service - we are likely to be getting Verizon FIOS soon anyhow, and they have an attractive DVR package that probably does more than our old TiVo box did. But I want to at least explore what options we have before committing to a long term monthly service/rental charge there.

Is this old box basically now a paperweight? Or would it be worth $100 or more to open it up, fix it, and put it back together all to get the free TiVo service? Any tips? Sites that have good advice?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

Recently TiVo has run specials where you can transfer your lifetime service from an older box to a newer one for $200 or so. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or if it was a Christmas special only. If you're not interested in transferring yourself those type of offers generally create a market for non-working units that had lifetime service.

If you do decide to upgrade the TivoHD units are really very nice!
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Try this website. I have found help in upgrading my system there.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

Mike
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Recently TiVo has run specials where you can transfer your lifetime service from an older box to a newer one for $200 or so. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or if it was a Christmas special only. If you're not interested in transferring yourself those type of offers generally create a market for non-working units that had lifetime service.

If you do decide to upgrade the TivoHD units are really very nice!

I transferred my lifetime service to a HD Tivo. Well worth it IMO.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

I was lucky and found a DirecTivo (40 hrs, dual tuner) new off eBay some time ago, for about $40. I think the outfit bought a slew of boxes when D* was dumping TiVo. Probably harder to find these now, but it could probably still be done - if you're dealing with D*. If you're not, I'd probably upgrade to the HD Tivo.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks for the insights... haven't found a transfer offer out there yet, but I'm glad to know it's a possible.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Thanks for the insights... haven't found a transfer offer out there yet, but I'm glad to know it's a possible.
FWIW I get one via e-mail every couple of months.

Do you get the monthly newsletter or whatever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote