Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Girl Beaten to Inch of Her Life Over Text Message

WTF is wrong with kids? How can a parent not see that they have a psychopath for a child?

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-88807042.html

I feel for anyone who has a daughter. I'd be one of those super overprotective Dads.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, the boy didn't even know who the girl was and he almost killed her. I think some sort of confrontation would be kind of understandable if he knew the girl (and she really did talk ill of his dead brother), but to almost kill her without even really checking for the truth? He should be in jail.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Saw pictures of this poor girl this morning.

There is no way this kid lives if this was my daughter.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

Pre-meditated too. He told people he was going to kill her, rode his bike to the school, and bashed her with steel-toed boots.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I was going to mention she apparently made comments about the boys dead brother. But then you'd all misconstrue that I was saying she deserved it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

But you did mention it...
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I was going to mention she apparently made comments about the boys dead brother. But then you'd all misconstrue that I was saying she deserved it.

lol, I tried to somehow mention this in my post without making it sound like she deserved it (which she didn't). I just wanted to also bring up the fact that at least you can see what made him snap, even though he took it to a crazy extreme. The girl put herself in a stupid situation if she did talk bad about his dead brother, but in no way deserved what she got.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

Doesn't matter what she said, she didn't need to be or deserve to be beaten like that, not by a long shot.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I did. It's worth being mentioned. If I was in that kids shoes I certainly wouldn't have beat her(I would have less severely if it was a guy).

But I also probably wouldn't be horribly disappointed if karma taught her a brutal lesson.

That said, who knows what the messages said. I'm typing on the idea that they were pretty bad stuff said about the dead brother of a teenager. Who know where this kids emotions are on that situation.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-23-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

On a sort of related point. When I was in high school I had a situation that concluded with a family member being in the newspaper. A kid at school saw it and cracked a joke. I beat the tar out of him(hospital visit not needed).

Now, he probably didn't deserve it. He didn't know the background or the emotions involved in this situation. But it was a touchy spot and I just snapped.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-23-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good thing she didn't say those things over a Walmart intercom or this story would be national news...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

PS, don't send your kids to this school:
Quote:
Asked about the school where the attack happened, which is also the school attended by teen burn victim Michael Brewer and his accused attackers, Sarmiento said they should have done more.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
PS, don't send your kids to this school:

I was just getting ready to say this. If you haven't heard the 911 call from this (kid being burned), it is absolutely HORRIFIC to listen to.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Saw pictures of this poor girl this morning.

There is no way this kid lives if this was my daughter.

I'd make sure he lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'll fully admit I'm very curious about the texting angle here.

It reads like (in some of the articles) that the girl who was attacked was texting the attacker about his dead brother (in other articles they just mention that she was texting about the guy's dead brother, not specifically that she texted the guy who attacked her).

Now I haven't seen any suggestions as to what was in the texts, but wtf?! I can't imagine anything in any text that would warrant what this kid did, but it wasn't that long ago that FOFC was quite up in arms about the girls who texted/emailed(?) another girl from school until she committed suicide. Obviously we're talking extremes in either case.

Again, not saying she deserved what she got (in fact, quite the obvious), but it's starting to seem more and more like texting has taken the impulse dangers of email and magnified them even more. Back when you had to wait until you saw a person face to face or had to write a letter there was a lot more time/thinking involved. Email came along and there have been numerous examples of people firing off reactive emails that got them into trouble, but even then, you still had to have computer access to do that. Now with everything right at our fingertips, the means to go over lines just keep getting faster and easier to utilize.

More a commentary than anything I suppose. I hope the girl pulls through this and has a full recovery. I also hope that if it's found out that she was malicious in her texting about the kids brother that it isn't glossed over and that some other kids learn not to act in that sort of fashion.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I saw who posted this, and the word 'Deerfield' and I was pretty shocked. But I guess it's Miami, not Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I can't imagine anything in any text that would warrant what this kid did

I can. How about "I killed your brother, so suck it"?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I saw who posted this, and the word 'Deerfield' and I was pretty shocked. But I guess it's Miami, not Chicago.

I can. How about "I killed your brother, so suck it"?

Depends on the person receiving it I suppose. I'd wager that very few people in the world, no matter how brutal of a message they received, could turn around and follow through on doing what this boy did to her.

Some I'm sure would do worse for a whole lot less.

As far as warranting it, again, I'm not sure I can think of anything, including your example that would do it. Not saying it wouldn't make their case a hell of a lot more sympathetic, but yeah, now I'm just into semantics.

Either way, again, I hope as much positive can come out of this situation as possible. What that positive stuff would be would depend a lot on what details emerge as this goes forward though.

Last edited by Travis : 03-23-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Depends on the person receiving it I suppose. I'd wager that very few people in the world, no matter how brutal of a message they received, could turn around and follow through on doing what this boy did to her.

Some I'm sure would do worse for a whole lot less.

As far as warranting it, again, I'm not sure I can think of anything, including your example that would do it. Not saying it wouldn't make their case a hell of a lot more sympathetic, but yeah, now I'm just into semantics.

Either way, again, I hope as much positive can come out of this situation as possible. What that positive stuff would be would depend a lot on what details emerge as this goes forward though.

Sorry -- I took your post the wrong way. Even my example doesn't warrant it IMO -- but I'm sure there's a sizable minority of folks for whom it would. I mean, heck, we've already had one person say they wouldn't let this guy live if that were his daughter.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Sorry -- I took your post the wrong way. Even my example doesn't warrant it IMO -- but I'm sure there's a sizable minority of folks for whom it would. I mean, heck, we've already had one person say they wouldn't let this guy live if that were his daughter.

Which in itself is probably an example of what Travis was saying.

I have no kids and am very laid back, so there is a lot of supposition here, but anger and desire to hurt/kill might be there, but actually doing is a whole 'nother step
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If this person is ever allowed to spend another day outside of prison, I would be very disappointed in the legal system.

After reading the stories on the Miami site, there's no question this was premeditated and his goal was to overpower and murder this girl. He is not fit to share in a civilized society and I can not imagine him ever being rehabilitated to a point where innocent people would be safe around him.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

It's the lowest level of humanity, to act out like this. To think you can solve problems or make things right by physically brutalizing someone else. It does set us back as a species. It's when we become wild animals.

Last edited by molson : 03-23-2010 at 09:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess the thing that bothers me is that she's a girl. I can almost see where the guy is coming from if we're talking about some other guy making comments about that to his face. It wouldn't be condoned, but I could sympathize in some way with his reaction. But I was raised where it's unfathomable to even think about hitting a girl. Hell, if I saw a girl getting pushed at a school I would have done what I could to stop it even if it meant I would get a beating for it.

Maybe this kid is the exception, but do parents still teach that stuff? I just can't think of anything a woman could say to me that would provoke a violent reaction.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

And while this is shocking, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often at schools. You have exceptionally cruel kids (especially these days) mixed with an immature mind incapable of making rational decisions.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

What makes you say kids are more cruel today than in the past?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

I dated a teacher for about 8 months a few years back and the stories she told about what kids were doing to one another was crazy. It was a very nice suburban high school too. They got some publicity awhile back when some football players held down some guys on the freshman team and stuck bananas and other objects in their asses.

Maybe I was naive back in my day, but I just never remember the bullying and stories being as bad as you see today. I think as Travis pointed out, technology we now have has changed the game a whole lot.