Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Football Manager Live - Clough gameworld kicks off 2:00 PM Central Time.

It looks that Clough has the most north americans.

8 GMT time - 2 my time. I took off from work to be ready.

Anyone else in this world?

NFA 23:30 - 01:00 High
MLFA 01:00 - 07:00 Medium

I'm not sure which one I want to join. MLFA is probably better for my time slot, but I really want to play in a high frequency world.

Decisions?

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 11-06-2008 at 12:47 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Is this still in beta, or is the game actually live for everybody yet?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm in Cantona myself
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Is this still in beta, or is the game actually live for everybody yet?

I went to the site today and apparently, you can register and join up. I'm trying to now...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im sure I could look it up, but how much is the cost?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im sure I could look it up, but how much is the cost?
Good luck looking it up. I can't find the cost either. I'm not signing up for a "SEGA PASS" account until I know what it costs to play this game.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Good luck looking it up. I can't find the cost either. I'm not signing up for a "SEGA PASS" account until I know what it costs to play this game.

22.99 pounds for 3 months.

The game is great guys. I love it. There are a good amount of north american players on Clough.

Its no big deal to start off late, there are plenty of players to build your initial squad with.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I love this game, but their support has to be the worst on the planet.

I've sent pm to mods on the forums and sent in emails to their support email address. In my email, i told them my issue (one being I can't create support tickets because my username and password won't work for their support site)

They send me a reply that I can check on my ticket at their support site. I'm LIKE WTF.

So here is the deal.

My username and password that works for the game is one I used when I originally signed up for this months and months ago. I discovered this after an hour of typing in a ton of passwords.

My username and password for my account information on the www.footballmanagerlive.com site allows me to log in, change my password, create a logo, pay my bill etc... It is also the same account for forums. This password is supposed to be the one that works on the game server as well. But as I mentioned it isn't.

But this account won't work on their support site. In fact neither works for the support site.

I'm happy because I can play the game.

I'm unhappy, because I haven't even gotten any help and its been 5 days.

Sigh... when will game companies learn.

Oh and the worst part of all of this. They don't have any servers setup for north american time. We have a good amount of managers from north america on this server. Our moonlight league is almost full 58 out of 80 managers. Almost all from the US and Canada.

Anyway, they take the server down every night between 11:30 and 12:30 PM. So in the middle of my play session my server goes down every night for up to an hour.

I really wish they would of just created just 1 fucking server for north and south america. Put us all on there so we could have an XFA - xtreme federation running during our primetime.

The XFA allows for tier league structure and 80 games a season and harsh penalties for letting the AI play your games.

The damn league I'm stuck in MLFA is light penalties and is 40 games a season. Only 1 tier of promotion.

Why do sega and SI games hate us in North America. I'm sorry we kicked your ass in 1776

Please give us a server.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 11-11-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

servers are overrated
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
My username and password for my account information on the www.footballmanagerlive.com site allows me to log in, change my password, create a logo, pay my bill etc... It is also the same account for forums. This password is supposed to be the one that works on the game server as well. But as I mentioned it isn't.
If you can PM me with a quick summary of the problem and your user name and email address then I'll see what I can do to help (please bear in mind I don't work on FML - but I should be able to bump your issue to someone who can help).
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Am I the only one other then Marc who got this game? There has to be more of us. It truely is a great game.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
gi
College Prospect

Got a report that the game is live, anyone playing?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
chesapeake
College Starter

I'd be curious to know if folks that played in the beta find that the game is worth the rather hefty price. Is it something that you have to play for an hour or two just about daily to be successful?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Anthony
Banned

man, Solecismic would never do something like this:

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
gi
College Prospect

awesome, just awesome Anthony
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
gi
College Prospect

Looks like it is around $32 US a month if you go every 6 months. That is out of my price range. Of course I could have done the conversion wrong...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I'd be curious to know if folks that played in the beta find that the game is worth the rather hefty price. Is it something that you have to play for an hour or two just about daily to be successful?

I love the game. I'm currently 179th in my gameworld. I keep steadily climbing. I got Jose Altidore the first season. We just started the third season in my gameworld.

I went with a strategy of building my guy around "coaching" and "tactics". Coaching makes your players train better and tactics allows you to do more elaborate tactics.

The first season, I had a top 10 youth team all season.

My first team was around 350ish most of the year. Last season we really progress and I moved over from the Moonlight League that requires 40 games a season, to the Xtreme league that requires 80 games a season.

I finished 2nd in Division 1A but lost the playoff for promotion to the Premiership. It is probably the toughest federation on the server.

This third season the XFA went to three divisions. Premiership, Championship and whatever the bottom league is called.

We are in championship and the season just kicked off yesterday. You can spend less then an hour a day and have a great time with it. I play more on some days and less on others. Since I joined an Xtreme league I play alot more games. The only XFA's are offered during the daytime and morning here in the US, so I get alot of games in on the weekends and before work. A game takes about 5 to 10 minutes to play.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
Looks like it is around $32 US a month if you go every 6 months. That is out of my price range. Of course I could have done the conversion wrong...

i think you did. or maybe its $32 for every 6 months. i can't see how they'd charge $32 a month when the norm for a MMO game is like $15 last time i checked (and it's been a couple years since i last checked). for what it'd cost to play this for every 2 months you could buy a new video game. i think you did your math wrong. i hope you did, at least.

Last edited by Anthony : 01-10-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #19
gi
College Prospect

I think your right, too much snow clouding the brain, $32/6 months is a lot better.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #20
chesapeake
College Starter

Converted to US dollars at 1/10/09 exchange rate (1.5234):
3mo = $35.02 (11.67/mo)
6mo = $67.01 (11.17/mo)
1yr = $111.19 (9.27/mo)

So it is priced a little below games like WoW and LotRO, but more in that scale than, say a Hattrick.

1) I'd be interested in any other hands-on reviews.
2) My only play time would come between 9 PM and Midnight, US Eastern time. Am I going to struggle to find leagues with players online at that time?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #21
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Converted to US dollars at 1/10/09 exchange rate (1.5234):
3mo = $35.02 (11.67/mo)
6mo = $67.01 (11.17/mo)
1yr = $111.19 (9.27/mo)

So it is priced a little below games like WoW and LotRO, but more in that scale than, say a Hattrick.

1) I'd be interested in any other hands-on reviews.
2) My only play time would come between 9 PM and Midnight, US Eastern time. Am I going to struggle to find leagues with players online at that time?

If you join clough there is a good group of USA people on this server. I think there about 75 of us that are in north and south america. So if you play in the moonlight football league, you will get plenty of games.

I also run a Gold Cup tournament for only USA players and someone else runs US Open Cup as well.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
gi
College Prospect

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the gameplay before I buy. Anyone?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
chesapeake
College Starter

I've taken the plunge and created the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers on Clough. The Moonlight Football League is the way to go? Who else has a team on that server?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
man, Solecismic would never do something like this:

That's too funny.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
I've taken the plunge and created the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers on Clough. The Moonlight Football League is the way to go? Who else has a team on that server?

I have a team and I'm in the Xtreme Federation. XFA

If you can play early in the morning our time till about 7 pm central time, you will get a ton of league games in.

My team name is the New Jersey Tokers

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 01-31-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #26
chesapeake
College Starter

Nah...I have a full time job and a wife and daughter. 8 PM - Midnight and an extra couple of hours on weekends is about all I have.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #27
Ramzavail
College Starter

I'm getting tempted to join up, who can put me over the edge?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
Ramzavail
College Starter

does the game use real players?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #29
Ramzavail
College Starter

One thing I don't like already, are the silly team names or the potential for silly team names. Even the NJ Tokers - no offense. Silly. Not clever.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 02-06-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #30
Ramzavail
College Starter

From hxxp://hamptonharriers.blogspot.com/

Our opponents were Ding Dong FC, who were in the midst of an impressive club record 10-match unbeaten run. They were a team built on a solid formation, with few star names but lots of excellent performers. It was going to be a tough match.

It got off to the best possible start after a defensive howler from Ding Dong keeper Pa Dembo Touray (who finished the match with a 4.9 rating). Rushing out of his box to make a hurried clearance, he was forced to head the ball away, where it landed at the feet of Morten Gamst Pedersen. Even 35 yards from goal, it was still an easy finish, as he lobbed the ball into the empty goal.

Ding Dong FC? come on.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
chesapeake
College Starter

The players are real at the start of the game world. But entire seasons take 1 month. Clough, for example, is in season 4, so everyone is 4 years older than they are in real life. When guys get old and retire, a new youth player is created with a similar talent level.

Teams are fictitious, and there are plenty of silly names out there.

League play on Clough began yesterday, and I am having fun so far. I have found the other players to be pleasant and generally chatty. I've probably played about 25 matches, only 6 of which weren't friendlies, so I am still quite new.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #32
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Lots of silly team names, including mine.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just signed up today. Because I make no sense.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #34
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So how is this then? I haven't even tried regular old FM online but am still curious.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just testing it out now. Losing my first friendly. The thing that might kill this for me, is that I don't care about tactics and would rather run a team and it seems this is gonna be a tactics sim. If I can buy players and be a mogul in that way, then sure..but otherwise, I'll bore of it quickly. I just like that it's fast and that you can play everyday...and that it's online.

So we'll see.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #36
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Just testing it out now. Losing my first friendly. The thing that might kill this for me, is that I don't care about tactics and would rather run a team and it seems this is gonna be a tactics sim. If I can buy players and be a mogul in that way, then sure..but otherwise, I'll bore of it quickly. I just like that it's fast and that you can play everyday...and that it's online.

So we'll see.

If you really don't care about tactics I'd model the team around either the default 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 formations, both are solid performers and while tweaking is important if you're going to make the top slot in your game world you'll find many people who are doing very well using these without any customisation at all.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
If you really don't care about tactics I'd model the team around either the default 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 formations, both are solid performers and while tweaking is important if you're going to make the top slot in your game world you'll find many people who are doing very well using these without any customisation at all.

Thanks Marc.

Won my first exhibition today when I changed my tactics. Ok, so I changed them last night, but...the suggestion ended up working.

Seems like they're a lot going on. I'm still trying to figure out all of it, but it's nice to be able to login and do stuff all of the time.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #38
Havok
College Starter

Keep us updated on what you think about FM live.... I've been interested in this game for some time, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. I hear so many different things about the game from the SI boards. Some good, some bad.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like that you can login almost any time a day and get a game. I don't like that it's seemingly daunting, that it's not extremely clear how players end up on teams and how that whole process works and I think it'll take more patience than I have at the moment to discover it.

It reminds me of playing online with console games, in that, there are all of these people who are #1 and you're not quite sure how they got there and whether it's actually possible for a person to do it or whether they just know all of the workarounds and glitches to get there, though it's obviously different in a text sim.

I dunno. So far, I like the concept but feel its a bit too daunting.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #40
chesapeake
College Starter

I played it for 3 months and enjoyed it. But I found it is a fairly full-time commitment to be successful. I probably would have kept on for another couple of months before burning out, but when I tried to renew my account, those lousy Brits wouldn't take any of my different flavors of credit -- even though they took one of the same credit cards to set up the initial account. Billing support couldn't explain it and decided that it was PayPal or nothing for me. I chose the latter. I am always skeptical of a company that won't take my money conveniently.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
PilotMan
Head Coach

FM Live is running a free 21-day trial period. It looks like it's limited to a certain number.

Here is the link:

Football Manager Live | The No.1 Football Management MMO Game

Quote:
We’re very pleased to announce that on July 6th 2009 we launched a brand new and exciting feature of Football Manager Live.

We would like to introduce to you the Football Manager Live Free Trial.

The Free Trial will give new managers the opportunity to test out Football Manager Live free for 21 days. That’s up to one in-game season free.

All you have to do to start playing is go to http://www.tryfml.com and fill in some basic details to start playing. You do have to register your payment details but we can assure you that no payment will be taken as long as you decide to cancel your trial within the first 21 days. For further info read the Terms & Conditions at the bottom of the TryFML homepage.

I realize that this isn't new, but I hadn't see anything about it either.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #42
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ugh, cancel or be charged. I absolutely loathe those types of trials and refuse to participate on principle.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #43
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Ugh, cancel or be charged. I absolutely loathe those types of trials and refuse to participate on principle.

I heard that's not what thewhorenextdoor said.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #44
Icy
Pro Starter

All gameworlds are/were reset today or yesterday, so it's the perfect time to join the game and i'm tempted, as price is also cheaper, 4.99 British pounds, around 5.5€ or $7.4 per month recurring.

My only doubt is if it will be too much time consuming or if it's something you can play 30 minutes to 1 hour per day with more time on weekends and be competitive enough.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote