Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

NFL Wildcard Thread

Well it looks like I avoided a major "You are addicted to sports" fallout with my girlfriend this coming Sat night with the Bengals landing the day game allowing me to make it to her friends "super significant" 33rd birthday party that night.

Predictions:
Bengals over Texans. Is Delhomme starting this game or was Yates just scratched because the game has no meaning? (Yes I am choosing to ignore the Bengals were 0-7 against playoff teams this season)
Saints over Lions. Being a Bengals fan I would love to see the Lions make a run but I just don't think they have enough.
Falcons over Giants. The Giants just aren't that good.
Broncos over Steelers. Mendenhall may have torn his ACL, its Tebow time!

Last edited by panerd : 01-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yeah, I never understood the Saturday night playoff game (which of course the Lions are playing in), while the early afternoon timeslot lies vacant.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Well it looks like I avoided a major "You are addicted to sports" fallout with my girlfriend this coming Sat night with the Bengals landing the day game allowing me to make it to her friends "super significant" 33rd birthday party that night.

You only turn 33 once!

Predictions:
Bengals over Texans - Never should have lost to Houston in Cincy. Probably wouldn't had PacMan not been called for pass interference in the end zone with two seconds on the clock.

Saints over Lions - No way the Saints lose at home. No way in hell.

Giants over Falcons - I think the Giants are going to ride a hot hand deep into the playoffs. Matty Ice doesn't inspire confidence. Against the Saints he had 25 completions that were thrown less than 10 yards.

Steelers over Broncos - James Harrison will get fined for a hit on Tim Tebow.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't think there are too many Lions fans out there who will have to avoid a major "You are addicted to sports" fallout this Saturday night. First playoff appearance in 12 years pretty much gives Lions fans carte blanche that night.

Sadly, I don't see the Lions getting their first road playoff victory (and their second playoff victory overall) in the last 55 years on Saturday.

Saints have been a machine the last few weeks and have been unbeatable at home this year. The Lions defense hasn't played well in several weeks. They have given up a ton of yards and points. They are likely to be shredded by Brees and Co. The Lions offense isn't good enough to keep up. They are prone to mistakes and disappearing at times.

Also, other than the Monday night game against the Bears, the Lions have folded under pressure. Some of their worst and most undisciplined games have come under the national spotlight, Thanksgiving against Green Bay and Sunday Night against New Orleans.

The Lions also take far too many penalties which will, and has, hurt them.

Despite not having too much hope of winning, it's still great to finally have the Lions with a winning record and in the playoffs. It's been ages. Hopefully, this is just the first step and the Lions can build on it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yeah, I never understood the Saturday night playoff game (which of course the Lions are playing in), while the early afternoon timeslot lies vacant.

Monies.

Prime time game = more viewers.

More viewers = more ad revenue.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
bronconick
College Starter

Yeah, I've got tickets for #1 UMD @ #8 Western Michigan in hockey this Friday and Saturday nights. Thanks, NBC. Asses. Can't show the Tebus vs. Pittsburgh game instead.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Should be an interesting weekend, although I'm not sure the games will be all that great.

Predictions:
Steelers over Denver- Even with Mendenhall down (and as a Steelers fan I will say he's actually had a fairly disappointing year) the offense will continue to do what it has done as of late: score in the upper teens and lower twenties. The defense will hold Denver to two field goals but I do worry greatly about Harrison throwing a bad hit on a potential Tebow scramble that would get him nixed the next week. I'll also be curious to see whether or not we take Ryan Clark with us given the sickle cell issue. I see a pretty easy win though, 20-6.

Bengals over the Texans- The Texans would be dangerous if they weren't down to their third (or fourth) string quarterback and Arian Foster is great but I think Cincy goes after them and pulls it off. I agree with Grover that Cincy should've beat them earlier anyway. I figure a 24-17 win.

Giants over the Falcons- This game is kind of a blah game for me. Very little interest in either team and I feel like either team is just fodder for the next round. The Giants do feel like they may have a bit of magic about them and that defense can pull out some big plays which I don't see with Atlanta. Plus Cruz is as electric a receiver there is right now. 27-13 Giants.

Saints over the Lions- This could be such a great game but I don't think it'll pan out. The Saints have a tremendous edge in the running game and short pass game (Sproles looks like an absolute beast indoors on turf) that I think the Saints take a huge early advantage and don't really look back. The Lions will still get some points and look good at times but it won't be enough. Plus, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the Lions look terrible late in the fourth quarter of a lot of their close games. They seem to have little get-up and go or organization to their two minute drill. Won't matter though as New Orleans wins 42-27.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
New Orleans
NY Giants

The two AFC road teams and the two NFC home teams.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Monies.

Prime time game = more viewers.

More viewers = more ad revenue.

I'm not sure I believe that a prime time game means more viewers.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

all I know is that, as a Pats fan, I'll be rooting hard for the Bengals and the Broncos, because if either of those teams win, New England won't have to play the Steelers the following week. I just don't think they can beat the Steelers.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
all I know is that, as a Pats fan, I'll be rooting hard for the Bengals and the Broncos, because if either of those teams win, New England won't have to play the Steelers the following week. I just don't think they can beat the Steelers.

Speaking for Steeler fans, unless Ben makes a miracle recovery (hopefully he's cured when he and Tebow shake hands), I don't see it.

The only hope would be for Harrison, who has looked very average the last few games, and Woodley, who has played about 1 quarter in the last 6 games, to be all over Brady. Keep the game close enough to allow Wallace and Brown to make enough plays, and Redman run out the clock.

Call me cautiously pessimistic on the Steelers chances at NE, with the Patriots on a week's rest.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
kingfc22
Head Coach

As a Niners fan, I will be openly rooting for Detroit as I'd much rather have them face ATL or NYG who they already beat at home.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

What I WANT to happen:

Bengals
Broncos
Saints
Falcons

What I EXPECT to happen:

Bengals
Steelers
Saints
Giants
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Tomlin just said during weekly presser, Ryan Clark will not play Sunday.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Grover
Pro Starter

With the Bengals in the playoffs, I decided to write a guest feature on a friend's blog about the team since I've been a fan. Note: I didn't include the history of arrests or Chris Henry's death... the article would have been much longer if that had been the case. It's more a chronicling of the team's poor draft choices year after year that kept the team in such a stagnant place at the bottom of the AFC.

A Totally Biased Tale of Woe: The Suffering of a Bengals Fan « Totally Biased

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw that something will happen during the Saturday games that's never happened before in the Super Bowl era. Any guesses?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I saw that something will happen during the Saturday games that's never happened before in the Super Bowl era. Any guesses?

The Houston Texans playing in a playoff game?

The Lions playing the Saints in a playoff game?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
fpres
High School JV

My guesses:

Cincinnati over Houston -- 3-game slide and too many injuries to key personnel... Kubiak says that Yates will start despite separating his left shoulder two days ago. Frankly, I'd feel a lot better about the Texans' chances if Delhomme got the starting nod. Arian Foster should be good to go, but the O-line has been showing some signs of wear over the past couple of weeks. If Houston is to pull this out, it's going to have to be the result of a monumental defensive performance. Regardless of the outcome, it's great to have some playoff football to get excited about in Houston.

Just spitballing the rest of the games...
-- Saints over Lions
-- Giants over Falcons
-- Steelers over Broncos
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
My pimp is going to give me a rebate?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Even though the Chargers didn't make the playoffs, I'm actually looking forward to the start of the playoffs this weekend.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Answer: Two rookie quarterbacks facing each other in a playoff game (Dalton/Yates).
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

As an actual Bengals fan, I'm not sure where all this optimism is coming from. The Bengals couldn't beat the Yates-led Texans 4 weeks ago, I'm not sure how all of a sudden we're picked to beat them on the road.

Plus, if we thought Ray Rice was hard to defend against, just wait until Ben Tate and Arian Foster get going.

I would love to be wrong, and hope I am. But I see yet another playoff loss.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

The optimism stems from the fact that teh Texans are on a spiral downward. They've been playing worse and worse every week. The O-line is looking horrible and dinged up, their star players are also beat up and Yates required not 1 or 2 but 3 MAJOR fluffs by the Bengals defense to beat us the last time.

Until the Texans actually win this game they are going to be the underdog, at home.

There is also something to be said for seeing some growth in our own players. Yes we lost to all but 1 team with a winning record this season, but the quality of those losses must be taken into account. only 2 losses all year by 10 points or more means we were in every game, going toe to toe with every team that is considered "elite" right now.

The confidence stems from the fact that even if we do lose, we've got a good team here and we're hopeful for the future =)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

I agree with your last line, but other than that we went 0-fer against the good teams on our schedule this year. Don't get me wrong, I want them to win but I am far from expecting it like many of my fellow Bengal fans here.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I agree with your last line, but other than that we went 0-fer against the good teams on our schedule this year. Don't get me wrong, I want them to win but I am far from expecting it like many of my fellow Bengal fans here.

Six of our seven losses were by a combined 30 points. The only time we looked really bad against a team with a winning record was the second meeting with Pittsburgh.

We pretty much gift wrapped that win to the Texans as well. Letting Yates get that big 3rd down run and then PacMan's pass interference which pretty much led to the touchdown. Also that fumble the defense forced but refused to just fall on the ball, giving the Texans the ball back, I believe the ended up driving down for points after that as well.

Last edited by Grover : 01-04-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If I were the Bengals, I would be feeling pretty good about my chances. The Texans haven't played that well of late and are decimated by injuries.

Is Andre Johnson still out?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If I were the Bengals, I would be feeling pretty good about my chances. The Texans haven't played that well of late and are decimated by injuries.

Is Andre Johnson still out?

Johnson is going to play between 45-50 plays per Kubiak.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

I certanly understand the restraint Butter, but I think my confidence comes directly from watching each game. In the past I'd be agreeing with you. I wouldn't expect much because the team didn't inspire my confidence.

Not so this season. I've actually been won over by this group of players. There is no grandstanding, there is no talk for teh sake of talk. This guys go out and work their asses off on every play. I've been impressed with the work ethic.

Have they had their moments where I wanted to scream? sure,but every team has those moments, even the great ones.

I want them to beat the Texans because I want them to have a shot at brady and his pretty boy offense. I expect them to play a tight, hard fought game against Houston because we play conservative football and we play tough hard nosed defense.

Do I EXPECT a win Saturday? yes. Why? Because I think this team "finally" expects to win every single week no matter who the opponent is.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
Rizon
Pro Starter

HOUSTON over the Bungles 17-14: These are the Bungles ... always will be. They would break the hearts of Ohioians, if Ohioians actually had hearts left to break. I see something like a last second FG miss or last second loss of some sort.

SAINTS over Detwoit Wittle Wions 45-10: The Wittle Wions are about as real as Sasquatch. I'd love to see them crushed and embarrassed.

GIANTS over Falcons 21-20: in the Sloppy Bowl of two sloppy ass teams. Manning bounces back from 3 picks to somehow pull off a 4th quarter miracle with 30 seconds left. This game probably has like 7 fumbles.

STEELERS over Tebows 35-21: Tebow throws 4 picks in the first 3 quarters, then Tebows the Tebows back with 3 4th Quarter Tebows to bring the Tebows within a couple scores of Tebowing the Steelers. But Omar Epps rallies his troops to stop Tebow from Tebowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
SAINTS over Detwoit Wittle Wions 45-10: The Wittle Wions are about as real as Sasquatch. I'd love to see them crushed and embarrassed.

Dude, why'd you have to bring you mom into this? That poor elusive, hairy bitch...

Not cool, man. Not cool at all.

p.s. Knock it off.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

The last 2 posts are full of win.

(not for the Lions err...Wions.....)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

Question: What would be the single BIGGEST upset this weekend?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #33
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
From a points perspective it would be Detroit.

Personally, think that Denver is the least likely underdog to win.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

GIANTS over Falcons 21-20: in the Sloppy Bowl of two sloppy ass teams. Manning bounces back from 3 picks to somehow pull off a 4th quarter miracle with 30 seconds left. This game probably has like 7 fumbles.

Not really sure where you are getting your analysis from. Atlanta ranked 8th with 21 turnovers and Giants middle of the pack with 21. They both are tied at tenth with 8 fumbles, so what you are saying is one of these teams will have half their total season output of fumbles in one game?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #35
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
so what you are saying is one of these teams will have half their total season output of fumbles in one game?

Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #36
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Maurkice Pouncey out vs Denver.

Doug Legursky at center, which while he's not Pouncey, isn't the problem. The problem is the additional 40 yards in penalties by Legursky shifting to C, and Chris Kemoeatu starting at LG.

If he doesn't have a penalty the nullifies a 3rd down conversion in the first drive, I'll be shocked.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

@bobwojnowskiBob Wojnowski

So, the Saints wanna play it like this, huh? False fire alarm goes off in Lions hotel at 2:27 a.m. I know bec. it kept me awake for hours!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Considering the game starts at 8pm, I think they will be fine.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Grover
Pro Starter

Very excited, but a little bit nervous. I'm ready to get things under way.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Very excited, but a little bit nervous. I'm ready to get things under way.

I look at it this way...this team was already so much better than I ever dreamed they would be so any extra wins are just gravy. Would love to see them win a game but there's no illusions here about winning it all, let alone making the super bowl.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

LETS GO BENGALS WOOO!!!!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #42
RendeR
Coordinator

LETS GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I look at it this way...this team was already so much better than I ever dreamed they would be so any extra wins are just gravy. Would love to see them win a game but there's no illusions here about winning it all, let alone making the super bowl.

Agreed, I expected six wins at the very, very best. I've seen one Bengals playoff win since I've been a fan and I was 8 years old. I'm due and I want this.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #44
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Haha.. We're in full effect this afternoon.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #45
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Agreed, I expected six wins at the very, very best. I've seen one Bengals playoff win since I've been a fan and I was 8 years old. I'm due and I want this.

Luckily, I have 1981 and 1988 to remember but I was 5 and 12 at those points so it's been a long time as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #46
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Looking for Andre 3000 and the gang to TCB here. Nati is on house money already by being here with a rookie QB-WR combo.

Should be a great day/night of football.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Clete Blakeman is a football name.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Clete Blakeman is a football name.

Or from Space Mutiny

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The "THE Ohio State University" thing is no less dumb the 50th time than the 1st

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Maurkice Pouncey out vs Denver.

Doug Legursky at center, which while he's not Pouncey, isn't the problem. The problem is the additional 40 yards in penalties by Legursky shifting to C, and Chris Kemoeatu starting at LG.

If he doesn't have a penalty the nullifies a 3rd down conversion in the first drive, I'll be shocked.

I hate Kemo so much.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote