Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Create the new College of W&M Logo (Subby, time to start drawin')

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/5722/

Quote:
William and Mary Logo Committee at Work
14-Person Group Actively Seeking Suggestions from College Community
04/09/07 10:55AM
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The committee charged with developing a new logo for the College of William and Mary and its athletics program is seeking input from members of the College community.

The 14-person committee, chaired by Vice President for Student Affairs Sam Sadler, is made up of alumni, students, faculty and staff at the College. Members of the College community are encouraged to visit the committee’s new Web site at www.wm.edu/logo/ to read more about the selection criteria, process and the official charge of the group. The committee is hoping to gather as much input as possible from members of the College community through April 29.

President Gene R. Nichol established the committee following a decision last fall by the National Collegiate Athletic Association regarding William and Mary’s athletic logo. As part of a review of more than 30 universities’ use nick-names, logos and imagery associated with Native Americans, the NCAA ruled last year that William and Mary’s ath-letic logo, which included two green and gold feathers, must be changed if the College wished to remain eligible host NCAA postseason events or participate in NCAA championship events. William and Mary appealed that ruling to the NCAA Executive Committee, which denied the appeal.

William and Mary President Gene R. Nichol has established a committee to develop a new symbol of identity for the College and its athletics program. The College’s Logo Committee, which is chaired by Sam Sadler, Vice President for Student Affairs, is tasked with developing both a logo for the school and making exploring whether the College should adopt a mascot at this time. The group will to present a recommendation by early Fall 2007.

William and Mary was one of the casualties of the NCAA crackin' down on logos/mascots/etc representing Native Americans. They are the "William and Mary Tribe". The name itself was not a problem, but the NCAA had problems with the feather that comes off of the M in the "WM" logo that it uses for athletics. (yeah yeah, i know)...

Anyway, they have to have a new logo for the fall if they want ot host any playoff games. So, they have a committee to decide on a new logo.

So on to what I think is the interesting part - they are soliciting community input including submitting logos. These could be viewed at in a few ways... This is a cool thing to get the community involved in, this is a cheap way to get a new logo, or this is just a publicity stunt - no matter what, this seems like an interesting approach to me after some heat W&M has taken lately for not listening to the community/alumni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 04-09-2007 at 01:25 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
RedKingGold
College Starter

My suggestion. Convert this into a cartoon:

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

ping: cuervo and fritz
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
ping: cuervo and fritz

There was definitely a hope on my part that they would catch this thread.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Here is a moving image of a young freshman passed out on the balcony of Dupont Second east in 1989 that might be the basis for a new feel good logo!

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Huh, interesting, if you were in school 11 years later you would have shared a floor with my fiance ...

Long live Yates 1st South!

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Huh, interesting, if you were in school 11 years later you would have shared a floor with my fiance ...

Long live Yates 1st South!

And used the same chairs.

Yates 1st South, Represent!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

AND SHE WOULD PROBABLY BE MY FIANCE INSTEAD!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Thought had occurred to me, but no real ideas are jumping out yet.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Thought had occurred to me, but no real ideas are jumping out yet.

My brother and I were bouncing this around. With the feather out (and presumably anything directly relating to Indians or Tribes) it becomes difficult.

I presume they want the colors to stay the same, even though it doesn't say that directly..

There has been talk in the past that flares up now and then about having a Phoenix for a mascot due to the idea of W&M raising from the ashes after several major fires and the other things the Phoenix implies...

Outside of that it seems like the only things to throw in with letters are like... things like pens and quills, something "history" related, maybe a sillhouette of a major building (like the Wren Building)... but nothing that really seems to jump out for a logo to me..

Anyway... I'd be curious to see if you end up actually putting any effort into this, LS has put thought into trying to throw something together but the inspiration is just hard to come by...

I do wonder if there is someway to illustrate "Tribe" without it being tied directly to Native Americans.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
My brother and I were bouncing this around. With the feather out (and presumably anything directly relating to Indians or Tribes) it becomes difficult.

I presume they want the colors to stay the same, even though it doesn't say that directly..

There has been talk in the past that flares up now and then about having a Phoenix for a mascot due to the idea of W&M raising from the ashes after several major fires and the other things the Phoenix implies...

Outside of that it seems like the only things to throw in with letters are like... things like pens and quills, something "history" related, maybe a sillhouette of a major building (like the Wren Building)... but nothing that really seems to jump out for a logo to me..

Anyway... I'd be curious to see if you end up actually putting any effort into this, LS has put thought into trying to throw something together but the inspiration is just hard to come by...

I do wonder if there is someway to illustrate "Tribe" without it being tied directly to Native Americans.

I wonder if something like a silhouette of a crowd would work?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

I wonder if they will take this opportunity to come up with a whole new mascot and nickname...

Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I wonder if they will take this opportunity to come up with a whole new mascot and nickname...

Quote:
...We have decided that we will accept the President’s offer of considering a mascot idea in addition to a logo. But first things first. It is our belief that the logo should be our first determination...

Elsewhere though (in the PDF scan of the letter from Nichols) it says..

Quote:
..It is also important, perhaps, to emphasize what the committee is not being asked to do. It is not being asked to review the College's nickname. We will remain the Tribe.

So, yes and no.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

How about DJ Lady Tribe? Nothing beats a big set of cans....

probably a site NSFW
hxxp://insaland.com/blog/?p=10
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

How about a funny little cartoon picture of a crazed, loveable devil-like American Indian attacking a peaceful white settler with a tomohawk axe?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #16
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
How about a funny little cartoon picture of a crazed, loveable devil-like American Indian attacking a peaceful white settler with a tomohawk axe?

He has to be carrying a big jug of whiskey with the xxx on it
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #17
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
He has to be carrying a big jug of whiskey with the xxx on it

The Indian or the Settler?

Better yet, have the two holding the jug together, their arms around each other, stupid smiles on their faces and X's where their eyes should be!
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Tell me again what was wrong with Native American feathers? They are used in many ceremonial and sacred rituals. If we could use a quill pen (for example) to honor our colonial ancestors, wouldn't feathers do the same thing?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

A college of milk chocolate candy coated delights? Am I dreaming???
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Couldn't they just keep the same basic logo and subtly change the feathers from indian looking feathers into Quill pen feathers?

Last edited by stevew : 04-09-2007 at 10:56 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
King of New York
High School Varsity

The new logo should be a portrait of the college's most famous alumnus, Bushrod Washington, nephew of George Washington.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #22
Groundhog
Coordinator

Somewhat more interestingly; I am alarmed at the quality of the W&M cheerleaders:

hxxp://www.wm.edu/so/tribaldancers/teambios.html

Erin or Becca both major in history and probably rank equal first in my books, but there really isn't too much too write home about after looking at that group.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #23
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here is a moving image of a young freshman passed out on the balcony of Dupont Second east in 1989 that might be the basis for a new feel good logo!

Classic, Subby. Takes me back to my time at W&M.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #24
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I like this one!

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 04-09-2007 at 10:57 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:55 AM   #25
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Tell me again what was wrong with Native American feathers? They are used in many ceremonial and sacred rituals. If we could use a quill pen (for example) to honor our colonial ancestors, wouldn't feathers do the same thing?

I wish I could answer this. I'm trying not to spend too much time on it because it pisses me off so much, but essentially it appears to be a big double standard since we're not a BCS school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Couldn't they just keep the same basic logo and subtly change the feathers from indian looking feathers into Quill pen feathers?

The idea has been tossed around by various alumni. I don't think our administration has the balls to do that though.

Quote:
Somewhat more interestingly; I am alarmed at the quality of the W&M cheerleaders:

Erin or Becca both major in history and probably rank equal first in my books, but there really isn't too much too write home about after looking at that group.

This is not news to anyone who has ever gone to W&M.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #26
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Odd...I find Marie and Megan to be the two cutest.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Odd...I find Marie and Megan to be the two cutest.

I assure, none of it is anything to be all of that proud of - either in looks or performance.

To be fair though, W&M does not give out scholarships for cheerleading and it is one of the most difficult public schools in the nation to get into.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola:

Also, that's the Dance Team, not the cheerleaders.. I actually prefer them I think to the Cheerleaders...

hxxp://www.wm.edu/so/tribecheerleaders/

Quote:
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #29
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:

This is not news to anyone who has ever gone to W&M.

"

Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #30
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
"

1) Once the women in question learn about these comments--and they will--they are going to use their 150+ IQs to Mind Flay you. It's been nice knowing you.

2) I wonder if the female student body has the same complaints about the male student body
Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #31
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
1) Once the women in question learn about these comments--and they will--they are going to use their 150+ IQs to Mind Flay you. It's been nice knowing you.

2) I wonder if the female student body has the same complaints about the male student body

1) I also went to W&M, so the power is negated

2) I assure you, they should (See #1)

Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #32
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
1) I also went to W&M, so the power is negated

2) I assure you, they should (See #1)

1) In single combat, yes, you can withstand the Mind Flay. But when they all launch a psychic assault against you simultaneously, they will reduce you to a gibbering puddle of drool.

2)
Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

There were plenty of hot women at W&M - they just didn't hang out with nerds like wade

Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
There were plenty of hot women at W&M - they just didn't hang out with nerds like wade

In his defense, he probably didn't have any classes with either of them.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #35
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
In his defense, he probably didn't have any classes with either of them.

And don't get me wrong.. the dancers/cheerleaders on a whole are not ugly imo, they're just not what people expect after watching FSU, USC, etc on TV...

And yeah, I think there were plenty of hot women and we got a bid of a bad rap...

Quote:
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #36
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
so did they go with the logo of the (obviously) gay guy hanging himself that I sent in?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #37
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I suggest they change their name to the William & Mary Genocidin' SlaveMasters
Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #38
wade moore
lolzcat

The 5 finalists have been announced! (yes, this is 2 /12 years later):

http://www.wm.edu/about/mascot/?svr=web

Mascot Idea #1 - Griffin

Mascot Idea #2 - King and Queen

Mascot Idea #3 - Phoenix

Mascot Idea #4 - Pug

Mascot Idea #5 - Wren

Quote:
Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

The Wren, Phoenix, and King/Queen all have explainable ties to the college.

The Griffin is kind of weird.

The Pug is WHAT THE FUCK worthy.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #40
Kodos
Resident Alien

Out of those choices, I like the Phoenix. The Griffin was a real WTF option for me. I pretty much hate all of them except the Phoenix.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The wheels of progress move slowly at W&M?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #42
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Queen only. Looks like Jay Leno in drag.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #43
Subby
lolzcat

About the New Mascot

Meet the Griffin.

William & Mary's Griffin is a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the head of an eagle. The coat of arms of King William and Queen Mary was adorned with lions, and the lion's body of our mascot evokes our historic royal founding and early history. The eagle's head of the Griffin suggests the national symbol of the United States and represents the presidents, leaders, and productive citizens whom William & Mary has trained for centuries.

The College of William & Mary in Virginia is one of only two U.S. colleges or universities granted a coat of arms by the College of Heralds in London. Our mascot, the Griffin, is often depicted in British heraldry.
With its eagle's head and lion's body, the Griffin is a rare and wondrous construct. It evokes William & Mary's own uniqueness:
  • The College is a Public Ivy.
  • We number both Thomas Jefferson and Jon Stewart among our alumni.
  • Academic and athletic excellence go hand-in-hand at William & Mary to an extraordinary degree.
  • Though born in 1693, the College remains vibrantly alive in the early 21st Century.
Our students use the breadth of a liberal arts education to create their own W&M experience. Chemistry majors write poetry for the literary magazine, business majors volunteer in soup kitchens, and football players star in Shakespeare.

The Griffin aptly symbolizes our Tribe athletes. The lion's strength and the eagle's vision suggest the union of strength with intelligence that characterizes more than 500 Tribe athletes, who compete on 23 Division I teams, while simultaneously thriving in a rigorous academic program that has no place to hide.

Throughout history, the Griffin has been known as a guardian of treasure. Our mascot, the Griffin, stands watch over The College of William & Mary -- the alma mater of a nation, cherished by generations of her sons and daughters.

Last edited by Subby : 04-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #44
Subby
lolzcat

Might as well just change the name - Griffin is kind of incongruous with Tribe.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #45
JediKooter
Coordinator

Is his name Merv?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Should've gone with the Li-ger
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #47
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Might as well just change the name - Griffin is kind of incongruous with Tribe.

Seriously. The artwork is pretty cool (for a Griffin), but it is odd to have "Tribe" below it, rather than the school name or initials.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The Queen only. Looks like Jay Leno in drag.

This was very poignant.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #49
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"We number both Thomas Jefferson and Jon Stewart among our alumni."

For some reason, I really laughed at this. I mean, I love The Daily Show, but c'mon, "Out most famous alumnus is one of the founding fathers and the 3rd President of the United States. Second most well known is a guy who hosts a comedy news program where 'the show that leads into {him} is puppets making crank phone calls'

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #50
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
William & Mary's Griffin is a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the head of an eagle. The coat of arms of King William and Queen Mary was adorned with lions, and the lion's body of our mascot evokes our historic royal founding and early history.

It also is an AC 3, 7 HD and has treasure types C & S...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote