Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

A Modest Proposal: NFL Teams Should Stop Running the Football

For the last few weeks, I have been wondering if the run and shoot offense could be successful in today's NFL. Then I see this

A Modest Proposal: NFL Teams Should Stop Running the Football - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

So what say you FOFC? Should NFL teams eliminate the run altogether?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

You are kind of seeing that now. Teams like the Lions and Saints are pushing the envelope of how little you really need to run the ball.

Getting rid of it entirely, however, does seem like a pretty big step. There are areas (short yardage, red zone) where you would like to at least have it available as an option.

Of course, if you really did decide to get rid of it entirely, then you could have some advantages. You could choose O-linemen based solely on pass-blocking ability. And, without needing to carry traditional tailbacks on the roster, you would have more roster flexibility elsewhere.

But those still seem like they are not worth it compared to really lacking any ability to run the ball.

I am not sure that the value of going from 75% (Lions, Saints) to 100% passing will gain you enough to make it worth it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Pass to take the lead, run to end the game.

FWIW, based on what I see here (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct), the top 5 in passing percentage are ATL, CLE, DAL, MIA, PIT. Botttom 5 are SF, SEA, CAR, NYJ, PHI. While there are obvious caveats of playing from behind, etc, it doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in a pass-only concept.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think it would be nearly impossible to run a good offense if you passed exclusively. So much extra risk involved in the other team knowing what you're doing, the actual throwing of the pass, etc. The passing game has evolved to set up the run for some teams, but if anyone came out and just threw the ball every down, they wouldn't get far with it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think we will see a natural flow back to heavy running games after teams have fully adjusted their defenses to be ready for heavy passing teams. The best bet for success is always going to be balance.

FUCK EA
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And there's always something to be said for weather

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm not a fan of abandoning the run.

As a fan, it's fun to watch teams throw the ball all over the field. But if I was a coach or GM, my team would be built to ram the ball down the opposing defenses throat.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Plus, you would effectively kill play-action which still opens up huge holes in pass coverage many times during the course of a game.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

There is no way you can sustain success without running the Football, even in the spread schemes it is vital to have some kind of running game.

Whether you run to set up the pass or vice versa, it is element that will always be needed and one dimensional teams set themselves up to fail in the long term.

I am obviously biased as a Wing T coach, but even in our offense we need to be a threat to pass and we do it on our terms. I think you can apply the reverse concept to a team that airs it out 40+ times a game.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Danny
Head Coach

Somewhere, Ben started reading this thread and then fainted.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wish whoever running it luck.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
For the last few weeks, I have been wondering if the run and shoot offense could be successful in today's NFL. Then I see this

A Modest Proposal: NFL Teams Should Stop Running the Football - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

So what say you FOFC? Should NFL teams eliminate the run altogether?

The run and shoot has been back in the league for some time. The Patriots were running a version of the run and shoot under McDaniels. A few other teams are running versions of it now.

No one wants to call it the run and shoot anymore because of the stigma that became attached to it in the 90s.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think Miami tried this against Tampa Bay...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

I think 7 v 7 is the future of football. Eliminate those big guys crashing into each other. And collisions in general. No more lawsuits, no more concussions.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think 7 v 7 is the future of football. Eliminate those big guys crashing into each other. And collisions in general. No more lawsuits, no more concussions.

Then we can just give both sides hoops at the end of the field to throw the ball through, eliminate downs, and call it field basketball. The sequel to Baseketball.

FUCK EA
Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

I don't know why they can't make helmets that have a soft very protective layer on the inside and ourside. Make it so the guy hitting with the helmet has some gift as well
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

BAD idea. Sure the averages are higher but take away the threat to run and those averages go down.

If the opposing team's defense can pin their ears back and come after the QB hard every down I hope they have plenty of backup quarterbacks.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I don't know why they can't make helmets that have a soft very protective layer on the inside and ourside. Make it so the guy hitting with the helmet has some gift as well

They do have a soft center that helps the helmet keep it's shape, the skull inside...

No matter what they do with the helmet it won't solve anything. The problem is sudden change of direction/stopping of the head. Also, the "safer" they make the equipment the more dangerous the game gets as the players start to feel invincible.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Have them play on trampolines. Big 120 yard trampolines. Can you see a WR bouncing 20 feet in the air to catch a ball? Or a RB taking a big bounce to jump over a tackler.
That would be cool.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

While its a different game of course, I am a fan of the Wisconsin Badgers and I loooove seeing them run all over the field with hardly any passing. Maybe I am just old-fashioned that way I have always been a fan of a good running game, if only for the fact that it really opens up a dynamic passing game as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The trick to offense is not so much run/pass balance, as it is mixing up what you do. Even if you pass all the time, you still have to do it from different formations and with different routes to keep the defense guessing.

Of course, if you just consider a handoff a really really short pass, and keep in mind that a pitch is just an underhanded pass, teams are already doing what you want ;-)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

I installed this game philosophy years ago in Madden and have never looked back.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

NFL teams just can consistently run the ball anymore other than maybe the 49ers or Seahawks. Back when the running game was still a big part of the game a team could still run the ball when the defense expected it. Now it seems other than the 49ers or AP getting 1 yard when the defense knows it is coming is a bad percentage play. I wish teams were still able to run the ball without having to worry about so many negative plays so they would stick with it.

The odd part is some of the better backs in the league are at or close to all time records in yard per carry over the last few years. Kind of tells me the backs are probably more talented than they have ever been but the line play has taken a huge step back.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'd love to see a team throw the ball 95 percent of the time. Would be the most entertaining 0-16 team in history.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

The odd part is some of the better backs in the league are at or close to all time records in yard per carry over the last few years. Kind of tells me the backs are probably more talented than they have ever been but the line play has taken a huge step back.

It stands to reason that if teams are throwing the ball more on Sunday, that run blocking is going to be less effective because they are practicing it less during the week.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
It stands to reason that if teams are throwing the ball more on Sunday, that run blocking is going to be less effective because they are practicing it less during the week.

This is spot on, the more time you spend on one technique the more another suffers. Zone blocking is not an aggressive scheme either as you look to get to an area and seal/scoop/or combo a defender based on pursuit.

Linemen are actually probably more athletic than ever before, but at the expense of some of the "nasty" that a good running team needs. When you constantly work reach steps, bucket steps, etc, it stands to reason you are not going to be as good at firing off the ball. You need to have an identity and teams that can run the ball well (Seattle or Stanford) have made that their identity and they focus on it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

You don't want two helmets to come together and "stick". You'd get spinal injuries, etc.

That said, I don't know why we're not talking about helping to solve the concussion issue with better technology helmets. Even if that solution ends up being too expensive to filter down to the Junior High level, protect whoever you can protect.

I also wonder why they don't mandate knee braces on at least QBs, if not everyone.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote