Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do I include the "summary" section above work experience on my resume?
Yes 3 42.86%
No 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quick Resume Question - Summary or no?

While waiting for my sister (the recruiter) to get back to me, thought I'd throw this out there to the community. It's been a couple years since I updated my resume and as I've bitched about in the past, it may be time to begin the process of looking for a new job.

So my question now is: When last I updated my resume, having an "objective" section at the top was out-of-favor, but instead it was suggested to have like a "summary" (essentially 3-4 lines of like "this is what i'm good at"). Now I'm wondering if that's still the thing to do, or if that has gone the way of the "objective" section or what?

And i know there's a bunch of different ways - just know a lot of people on here have jobsearched recently and i'd be curious to tap the collective wisdom as to what to do above the part where I list my work experience.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I suppose I'd only suggest it if you're using it as a mechanism for communicating the sort of job you want. That said, I think the cover letter does that fine and so, generally I see it just as a bunch of words that distract from the rest of the resume and don't offer any material value.

I'm sure there are other philosophies on it.

I'd never done it before a month ago and even then, I only did because I've had so many disparate jobs in different fields, that people wondered "well, what do you really want to do" and so I sought to clarify it as a "before you read this, here are my strengths/what I am looking for" sort of thing.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote