Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2024, 10:49 AM   #751
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
FWIW, any non-famous litigant/attorney combo pulling this shit in federal court would have been sanctioned.

That may not be right. There's a good argument that federal judges are too heavy handed in courtroom management.

But whether it is right or wrong, Trump and his team are getting incredibly special treatment.

Two tiered justice system!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:56 AM   #752
molson
General Manager

Attorneys being found in contempt for courtroom antics is very very very rare.

But normally the bar of what a judge needs to do to send a message is much much lower.

Like in my little legal community, a state or federal court opinion or trial court order calling you out by name for acting unethically or fucking something up is basically DEFCON 5 worst case scenario. But Trump's lawyers present the unique circumstance of not caring about stuff like that, and about it not mattering at all to their employment.

There would have to be a significant change to American legal courtroom culture to adapt to a new reality in which more lawyers don't care, and harsher measures have to be used.

I was around a case years ago where a defense attorney threw a tantrum in a motion response and accused the judge of being bought, corrupt, stupid and/or all of the above (a literal list of options like that). He was found in contempt and there was a minor penalty, including having to do some kind ethics training. The ACLU dove into the case and wrote a brief that said over and over again that the defense attorney was "penalized for criticizing a judge" in violation of his first amendment rights. Just used that phrase 100 times, "penalized for criticizing a judge". The appellate oral argument had one of the biggest crowds I ever saw attend - all based on the ACLU first amendment angle. The defendant won on appeal, though, the court didn't have to reach the first amendment issue, because there was a flaw in the manner in which the contempt order was issued, rules-wise.

That guy may have been an ACLU superhero at the time, but, I don't think he worked in the legal profession in any significant capacity again. Maybe he could join the Trump legal team.

Last edited by molson : 01-26-2024 at 11:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:48 PM   #753
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Turns out the "OMG Willis divorce conflict of interest stuff" was just a fishing expedition.. that of course, got nothing.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/uns...da-fani-willis

Reminds me of the old saying, "When the law is on your side, pound the law, when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table"

Lot of table pounding attempts.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #754
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Turns out the "OMG Willis divorce conflict of interest stuff" was just a fishing expedition.. that of course, got nothing.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/uns...da-fani-willis

Reminds me of the old saying, "When the law is on your side, pound the law, when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table"

Lot of table pounding attempts.
Sure, as long as you ignore the airline flights Wade bought for Willis on his credit card.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:42 PM   #755
GrantDawg

Here's another judgement against Trump.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #756
Thomkal
Head Coach

good for Carroll, but i think trump will go to his grave before his estate pays any of this-i think he will just ignore the ruling
Old 01-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #757
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Here's another judgement against Trump.

They were asking for at least 12 mil to send a message. 83 million is certainly a message.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:49 PM   #758
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hopefully this is a precursor to the criminal trial. I’ll bet people will be lining up to have Habba defend them.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #759
Thomkal
Head Coach

And the hits keep on coming for trump;

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/stat...88375308263475
Old 01-26-2024, 04:47 PM   #760
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
good for Carroll, but i think trump will go to his grave before his estate pays any of this-i think he will just ignore the ruling

Yeah, I think that's also why he had one of the worst attorneys I've ever seen handling his case. He gets to play the martyr and will never pay a dime.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:58 PM   #761
RainMaker
General Manager

There is some sweet irony in this as Trump spent years saying he wanted libel laws to be loosened so he could sue people over things they say about him.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:05 PM   #762
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I know that I'm going to be in the minority here, but it seems to be that the civil court system here is a farce in this case. It should take more than a "more probable than not" standard for a person to essentially be convicted of a sexual assault that allegedly happens decades ago and pay hefty damages.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:05 PM   #763
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He said he will appeal the ruling. If he does, he has to place around $90 million in escrow in the event he loses the appeal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:44 PM   #764
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know that I'm going to be in the minority here, but it seems to be that the civil court system here is a farce in this case. It should take more than a "more probable than not" standard for a person to essentially be convicted of a sexual assault that allegedly happens decades ago and pay hefty damages.

I can understand your wariness about that. Hell, you can even send a criminal rape charge with a life sentence to a jury on victim testimony alone. Prosecutors don't typically do that, but they can. (I have no idea what the evidence is in Trump's case).

It's the hardest line to get a handle on in criminal law, where a charge is appropriate in that kind of case. But civilly, its kind of the wild west if you're willing to file the complaint and make accusations.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #765
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He said he will appeal the ruling. If he does, he has to place around $90 million in escrow in the event he loses the appeal.

I have a feeling he will not be appealing the ruling.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:07 PM   #766
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

In fairness, the original penalty was $5 million. Not terribly high for someone who has been sexually assaulted and defamed publicly to hundreds of millions of people.

The new amount is because he didn't stop defaming her after the initial trial. Like he went on TV to continue defaming her right away. I don't know what the appropriate amount is, but that feels like a jury deciding that the $5 million was clearly not enough to get him to stop.

Regardless, the civil system has some issues I'm guessing. But Trump will never pay her a dime which is also part of the issue.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:11 PM   #767
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Although they centered on sexual assault/rape I believe they were all defamation suits, involving being publicly defamed by arguably the most famous person in the world & he was ultimately (originally) found to be liable for .5% (not 50 percent, but half-of-one-percentage-point) of his (claimed) net worth. Is that really egregious?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-26-2024 at 07:13 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:33 PM   #768
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
In fairness, the original penalty was $5 million. Not terribly high for someone who has been sexually assaulted and defamed publicly to hundreds of millions of people.

The new amount is because he didn't stop defaming her after the initial trial. Like he went on TV to continue defaming her right away. I don't know what the appropriate amount is, but that feels like a jury deciding that the $5 million was clearly not enough to get him to stop.

Regardless, the civil system has some issues I'm guessing. But Trump will never pay her a dime which is also part of the issue.

If he doesn't appeal how would he avoid paying? This judge doesn't seem like the type to just let him not pay
Old 01-26-2024, 08:00 PM   #769
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If he doesn't appeal how would he avoid paying? This judge doesn't seem like the type to just let him not pay

What is the judge going to do?

Between trusts, annuities, homestead exemptions, offshore accounts, retirement accounts, insurance, shell companies, etc, there are way too many ways for rich people to avoid paying. And Florida is notoriously difficult to recover any sort of assets from (just ask OJ).

Heck, I'm still owed a $37k judgement from 12 years ago where the courts basically have said "what do you want us to do about it?".
Old 01-26-2024, 10:10 PM   #770
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

haha 83_ miollion....FUCK YOU Turdrump
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:19 PM   #771
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The US bankruptcy trustee may end up suing Trump for unpaid legal fees on behalf of Giuliani.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:48 AM   #772
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

he hasn't paid any bills any fees any invoices....he's infamous for that
Old 01-29-2024, 10:15 AM   #773
RainMaker
General Manager

Pro-Trump network OANÂ*execsÂ*may have ‘engaged in criminal activities’ while promoting 2020 election lies, Smartmatic alleges | CNN Business
Old 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #774
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

CNN so it must be fake news
Old 01-29-2024, 04:10 PM   #775
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump (and others) tax return leaker gets 5 years in prison;

Trump tax return leaker sentenced to five years in prison - POLITICO
Old 01-30-2024, 11:55 PM   #776
RainMaker
General Manager

Uhhhhhhhh....

Middletown police arrest man who claims on YouTube to behead father
Old 01-31-2024, 06:37 AM   #777
Thomkal
Head Coach

man how horrible, wonder where he got these ideas from?
Old 01-31-2024, 10:17 AM   #778
Thomkal
Head Coach

On Trump org fraud watch: Judge said he would decide the amount to fine Trump org and other penalties by today. get your popcorn ready!
Old 01-31-2024, 10:39 AM   #779
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 01-31-2024, 07:27 PM   #780
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

To be fair, he sounds like he's very greatly mentally disturbed, and probably if it wasn't this that caused it to happen, it would have been something else.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:31 PM   #781
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
To be fair, he sounds like he's very greatly mentally disturbed, and probably if it wasn't this that caused it to happen, it would have been something else.

Just about everything he said in his video is standard fare right-wing talking points.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:06 PM   #782
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Again, he was mentally ill (which shouldn't surprise anyone), and had been off his rocker for a decade. If it wasn't Right Wing Talking Points, it would have been chemtrails, the Rothschilds, the Illuminati, whatever.

“He’s been ranting and railing about the government for 10 years now and how they’re out to get him and how he should be president — all the crazy stuff that was said on the video last night,” Michael Prickett said over the phone. “He’s been essentially doing that for 10 years now.”

Davis Rebhan lived with Mohn in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 2016, two years after Mohn graduated from Pennsylvania State University, according to a court filing. Rebhan wasn’t close with Mohn, who he said had a reputation for telling tall tales — “like how he got into this big fight with six guys and won.” He also said Mohn “would talk a lot about his beliefs, which were pretty out there.”

“It was a lot of the conspiracy stuff,” said Rebhan, who was a college senior at the time. “He didn’t really have a lot of friends.”

Rebhan, who now lives near Portland, Oregon, said the living arrangement was cordial until one day several months into their lease, when he returned home after a few hours to find Mohn had “caused a significant amount of damage” to their place.

“He broke a big, old mirror that was in our kitchen that had been put up by the apartment, and there were holes in the walls,” Rebhan said. “He basically told me he blacked out and had an incident.”

I think it's a failure (and an indictment) of our mental health treatment options more than "Those damn right wingers made him do it"
Old 02-01-2024, 10:42 AM   #783
molson
General Manager

I watched his rant out of morbid curiosity.

Really no different than lots of other right-leaning anti-government militant stuff you might see on social media. Except that he holds up his father's severed head first.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:18 PM   #784
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I watched his rant out of morbid curiosity.

Really no different than lots of other right-leaning anti-government militant stuff you might see on social media. Except that he holds up his father's severed head first.

He just did what people on January 6th said they wanted to do. Heck, a Congressman came out today calling for the extrajudicial killing in a gruesome manner (dropping out of a helicopter).

The head bit was dramatic but his message and actions are in line with the base of his party. I'd guess a surprisingly high percent of people on the right agree with his actions.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #785
GrantDawg

Reading through Fanni Willis' response to the court on the disqualification, she has carefully not denied the relationship with Wade but instead made arguments that a relationship in and of itself is not disqualifying (which is completely true). But the funniest thing I have found so far is under the arguments against Wade not being qualified for his appointment. She provided a picture of the opposing counsel in an "Wade" t-shirt campaigning for him when he ran for judge.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:33 PM   #786
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow now that's funny
Old 02-02-2024, 12:39 PM   #787
GrantDawg

In Wade's affidavit he confirms the relationship, but states it started after he was named Special Prosecutor. He says of the vacation expenses that they had both shared such expenses relatively equal with her paying for some trips and he paying for others. That's the crux of the argument for dismissal. They have to find Willis materially benefited from Wade's appointment. I don't know if the filing will be enough to have the whole thing thrown out without a hearing, but unless the defense has some smoking gun they have released the motion isn't likely to survive a hearing.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-02-2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #788
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Reading through Fanni Willis' response to the court on the disqualification, she has carefully not denied the relationship with Wade but instead made arguments that a relationship in and of itself is not disqualifying (which is completely true). But the funniest thing I have found so far is under the arguments against Wade not being qualified for his appointment. She provided a picture of the opposing counsel in an "Wade" t-shirt campaigning for him when he ran for judge.

4D chess as they like to say
Old 02-02-2024, 12:53 PM   #789
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
4D chess as they like to say
In the end, it is more pubic relations damaging than actually legal. It is a very bad look that she was sleeping with someone that worked under her, and it allows Right-wing media to go nuts. It shouldn't affect the legalities but it will taint the outcome to those who want it to.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:59 PM   #790
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
In the end, it is more pubic relations damaging than actually legal. It is a very bad look that she was sleeping with someone that worked under her, and it allows Right-wing media to go nuts. It shouldn't affect the legalities but it will taint the outcome to those who want it to.

Like all Trumps legal cases the right cares very little for the process and instead chooses to melt down over how thing "should" be based off Trumps claims of being treated unfairly.

Several examples of this such as him claiming he should have had a jury trial in the fraud case, the judge is claiming his club is worth 18 mil, etc...
Old 02-02-2024, 08:52 PM   #791
GrantDawg

Ok, the response from Roman's attorney is damning. They claim to have evidence that Wade has lied in the affidavit, that their relationship started well before he was hired, and that they have lived together. Wade in essence committing perjury would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2024, 09:29 AM   #792
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 02-06-2024, 10:03 AM   #793
GrantDawg

I don't think it will happen, but I would love the Supreme Court to just refuse the case.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-06-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:18 AM   #794
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think it will happen, but I would love the Supreme Court to just refuse the case.

I would too, and it would be a way "out" for the conservative justices to not have to tell trump he can't be a dictator. But this seems so big for them to rule on and get future precedence on, that they may have no choice but to rule on it.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:30 AM   #795
GrantDawg

I agree. I think almost every justice will want the opportunity to write an opinion on this.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:32 AM   #796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I actually just herd an expert on MSNBC say the opinion is so well written there is a good chance the SC turns it down
Old 02-06-2024, 10:50 AM   #797
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One thing that the DC panel did here was force the issue to the Supreme Court with minimal delay.

An appellate case can be acted on when the "mandate" issues. And normally the rules provide for an automatic stay (pause) in the issuing of the mandate if a party files for rehearing en banc (the whole appellate court, not just the three judge panel).

Here, they said that they would NOT stay the mandate for an en banc petition. But they still gave Trump until Monday to file with the Supreme Court for a stay, so they are not prejudicing him or trying to overstep the Supreme Court. They are just not going to let him add a two-week delay for no reason
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:14 AM   #798
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Let's assume that all 9 Justices are, at least on this question, completely interested partisan actors who care only about results and not the law.

I think that--even in that world--it isn't a slam dunk for Trump. I think that there's a chance that Justices Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Barrett all decide that it is for the greater good of the conservative movement for Trump to go away. They are conservatives--but they aren't MAGA types who want to burn it all down.

Just my musing.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #799
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It only takes four justices to take a case and Alito and Thomas seem like locks.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:29 AM   #800
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And probably Justice Gorsuch.

You'd really need all three of the other conservatives to decide not to hear it.