Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
bamcgee
High School JV

Summer of sequel and other thoughts

Ok, X-Men 2 looks pretty good. And the Matrix Reloaded looks fantastic.

But if I could be so bold as to make two more equally obvious predictions:

The first is Dumb and Dumberer. As I scrutinized the movie poster I realized... no! it can't be!! This movie stars Whuzhisname and Whodat rather than Carrey and Daniels, so I'm gonna go out on a real limb here and venture to say that this is gonna be one stinkeroo, on the same order as say... Rat Race.

The next is Terminator 3. This has a fresh concept where a fancy new sex-terminator is sent back through time to kill John Connor, except this time Arnold is the good guy. Wait a mow ment! I've seen that before. This one is gonna disappear faster than I can say "kkkkk-ken is gonna kkkkk-kill her".

Am I missing out on any other dandies? By the way, Cruel Intentions 2 was on HBO last night. Straight to vid, I believe. Oh so priceless. Roger Kumble, the director, is also behind such gems as Senior Trip, Provocateur (?!?Gotta check that one out) and that Cameron Diaz fiasco The Sweetest Thing. He may be clinging to the highly competitive crown of Worst Director in Hollywood, but that is for another thread. Wait a second, maybe I'll threadjack my own thread...

Worst directors in Hollywood candidates:

Ron Underwood - Pluto Nash, Mighty Joe Young, Speechless

David McNally - Kangaroo Jack, Coyote Ugly

Perry Blake - Master of Disguise, Eight Crazy Nights, Joe Dirt, Littly Nicky, Half Baked, other Sandler flicks... hmm, a strong contender here. Of the 100 worst rated movies on Metacritic, he's got a lock on #13, 50, 55, 70, 83. That's really something special.

bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

the dumb and dumber sequel doesnt have carrey or daniels in it??!! what the hell is that crap?
Old 04-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
bamcgee
High School JV

exactly my point.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Don't forget "2 Fast 2 Furious", not starring Vin Diesel. That one should open to hundreds of dollars...
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

I swear Cruel Intentions 2 has to be one of the funniest movies ever! (Not on purpose of course) That is some funny stuff!

Bad script. Bad acting. Bad direction. At least most of the shots are in focus!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
sianews
Mascot

Nor is Dumb and Dumberer written by the Farlley brother...seems the ONLY thing it has in common with the origional masterpiece is the name.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm so excited for Matrix Reloaded, and X-Men 2 also looks good.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #8
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
I'm so excited for Matrix Reloaded, and X-Men 2 also looks good.

Anybody read the story on the Matrix Reloaded effects in this month's Wired? They sound unbelievably cool!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Dumb and Dumber is a prequel, it's about how the two characters first met. Doubt it'll be great, but if it is as good as Rat Race, I'd be thrilled. I liked Rat Race. Troy Miller, the director, was a big part of the Tenacious D series on HBO, so I doubt it'll be a complete disaster.

Matrix Reloaded and X-Men look pretty good.

2 Fast, 2 Furious has John Singleton directing it, so it'll get some money. Probably be a steaming pile of crap, but it will draw.

Some of the movies I'm looking forward to this summer (in order of scheduled release)

Finding Nemo (May 30) Pixar movies are usually terrific.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (June 27th) Doubt I'll see it in the theatres, but it has a decent cast.

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (July 4) I thought the first was a good movie.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (July 11) Anything starring Sean Connery is good enough for me. This looks like it has some potential.

Johnny English (July 18) Rowan Atkinson in a Bond like role? Count me in.

Seabiscuit (July 25) Can't be as good as the book, but I'll probably fork over some cash to see the movie.

Freddie vs. Jason (August 15) Cmon, you all know you want to see it.

I didn't mention Bad Boys 2, The Hulk, The second Lara Croft movie, or Jeepers Creepers 2. . . though I'm sure some people here will have interest in those.

One other movie I'm keeping an eye on: October 17th, The Whole Ten Yards. I thought the first was a fantastic movie, I'm looking forward to the second.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

Bam, you didn't like Half-Baked?!?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:01 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Did ya'll know that there's a third American Pie movie coming out this summer? Apparently Pie-boy and Flute-girl are getting married and Stiffler throws a bachelor party. Hilarity ensues.

I've heard that half of the original cast isn't going to be in this one, so you know that it's going to stink...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (July 11) Anything starring Sean Connery is good enough for me. This looks like it has some potential.

TroyF

We seem to have the same taste in movies. This movie looks intriguing. It is either going to be great or completely stink. I'm thinking great, but we will see.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:46 AM   #13
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Re: Summer of sequel and other thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by bamcgee

Perry Blake - Master of Disguise, Eight Crazy Nights, Joe Dirt, Littly Nicky, Half Baked, other Sandler flicks... hmm, a strong contender here. Of the 100 worst rated movies on Metacritic, he's got a lock on #13, 50, 55, 70, 83. That's really something special.

master of disguise looked funny, until I watched it..it totally sucked except for the part where the evil character farted everytime he laugh.

I liked joe dirt, it was pretty funny, Half baked was extremely funny, but that may have been because I can relate to the characters in the movie...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:46 AM   #14
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
Bam, you didn't like Half-Baked?!?

Exactly what I was thinking. Half Baked might be one of my 5 favorite comedies.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:05 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich1033
Exactly what I was thinking. Half Baked might be one of my 5 favorite comedies.

You've only seen 5 comedies in your life? How sad

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:45 AM   #16
Taur
High School Varsity

Is there any feelings on Jim Carey's Bruce Almighty?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:31 AM   #17
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Did ya'll know that there's a third American Pie movie coming out this summer? Apparently Pie-boy and Flute-girl are getting married and Stiffler throws a bachelor party. Hilarity ensues.

I've heard that half of the original cast isn't going to be in this one, so you know that it's going to stink...

Note: This is going from the IMDB cast list.
Well, it doesn't have Chris Kline and Mena Suvari, can't say I'm upset about that. Also doesn't have Tara Reid, but if I had to look at her skinny ass again I'd puke (what happened to her sexy pudgy-ness from the first one). Shannon Elizabeth isn't there, but she didn't get naked last time anyway. That annoying girl (Reid's friend) isn't there. No Sherminator. Nothing about Stifler's mom, but come on, she'll be there. Seems like the funny people are actually there, so thats all that matters.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Taur

I love the name.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:44 AM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

The trailer for this one looks great. I'm a Jim Carrey fan anyhow, so I'll be there fo' sho'.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:47 AM   #20
Easy Mac

The only movie this summer that has me saying i have to see it is The Matrix. Maybe Bad Boys 2. Otherwise, the others look like disappointments (note I didnt like X-men 1)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:50 AM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

What's great is that after Matrix Reloaded, we only have to wait 6 months for part three - Matrix Revolutions.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #22
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
the dumb and dumber sequel doesnt have carrey or daniels in it??!! what the hell is that crap?

My first thoughts when I heard this a few months ago was of Caddyshack 2, which didn't have Bill Murray or Chevy Chase.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #23
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Don't forget the Sequel to Rule All Sequels - The Return of the King. It barely makes it in the this-year category, but does slide in there.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
What's great is that after Matrix Reloaded, we only have to wait 6 months for part three - Matrix Revolutions.

I read recently that Matrix Revolutions was also supposed to come out this summer (kind of like the Back to the Future 2 and 3 quick releases) but that production problems pushed it back a few months.

I agre the Bruce Almighty looks funny as hell. I'll be going to watch that as soon as I can...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:16 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be the suprise hit of the Summer (this will probably bite me in the ass come September). Looks like a new idea with a solid cast.

X-Men II is probably the one I am most looking forward to seeing. I wonder if the May release indicates that it won't be a "real" Summer blockbuster?

The first two American Pie films give the third an automatic "must see" in book.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs

The first two American Pie films give the third an automatic "must see" in book.

Bah. The pastry rape gimmick has grown stale.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #27
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
You've only seen 5 comedies in your life? How sad

SI

lol, I knew that was coming.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #28
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, I guess I'm not too excited about any of the sequels/prequels coming out this summer. Stuff like X-Men never interests me and I am the only movie fan in the world thought that The Matrix sucked big time (so why would I bother with its sequel?). Wrong demographics, I suppose.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003

the movie will suck this much....
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

TroyF

Read the comic book. It's fantastic. Alan Moore. 'Nuff said. That being said, I fear for the movie. They will take a lot of the edge off what was an excellent book, I'm afraid. If they stick close to the original source it'd be amazing. I think the name is a bit too odd and I dunno if it will catch on. Hoping for it to.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #31
bamcgee
High School JV

I haven't seen Half-Baked, I was just basing my comments off some Metacritic ratings. It seems like a movie that could be pretty funny but wouldn't review well.

www.metacritic.com

great site.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bamcgee
I haven't seen Half-Baked, I was just basing my comments off some Metacritic ratings. It seems like a movie that could be pretty funny but wouldn't review well.

www.metacritic.com

great site.

it's really an excellent movie, and I'm pretty much a movie snob. Dave Chapelle has never been better.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

Half-Baked is a classic.

BUT FOR THE BIGGEST OF THE SUMMER OF SEQUELS??

Bad Boys II
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:19 PM   #34
Taur
High School Varsity

First I'd like to say is that I have never been a Matrix fan because it is a complete rip-off of Dark City. I don't think they even bothered to rewrite the "Phone" call seen when they ripped off Dark City.

Second can someone please tell me why they are remaking a Peter Faulk(Columbo) movie? I don't remember any of his movies doing well at the box office the first time around so why would they remake The Inlaws?
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
First I'd like to say is that I have never been a Matrix fan because it is a complete rip-off of Dark City. I don't think they even bothered to rewrite the "Phone" call seen when they ripped off Dark City.

Second can someone please tell me why they are remaking a Peter Faulk(Columbo) movie? I don't remember any of his movies doing well at the box office the first time around so why would they remake The Inlaws?

Dark City was an interesting concept, but absolutely horrible in terms of actual execution. I'd say it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:48 PM   #36
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Well, I guess I'm not too excited about any of the sequels/prequels coming out this summer. Stuff like X-Men never interests me and I am the only movie fan in the world thought that The Matrix sucked big time (so why would I bother with its sequel?). Wrong demographics, I suppose.

I didn't think The Matrix sucked, but I did think it was horribly overblown. Yeah, cool effects the first 50 times they showed them, but I thought the movie was all flash and no substance. I'll see the next 2 just to see the latest in visual effects, but I'm sure surfer-boy will annoy the hell out of me as usual.

X-Men 2 on the other hand I'm very much looking forward to. I thought Bryan Singer did a great job with the first one, and I've read promising reviews of this one. Plus, it's never a bad thing to have to look at Rebecca Romijn in nothing but body paint...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote