Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Raven
College Prospect

Ian Gold

I don't get to watch many Denver games, but I see the ESPN highlights, as well as a lot of other stuff on NFL network.

Everytime I see the Broncos, Ian Gold just seems to stand out, making exceptional plays. What's his deal? I don't hear his name mentioned much in the media.

Is he that good, or is he just one of those guys that makes the occasional big play?

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He hasnt killed anyone yet. That's usually a good way to get noticed in the media if you are a superstar linebacker. And it would be great if the Broncos scorekeeper would give him a tackle every time he's on the same side of the field as the play.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

He's good. He's real good. He had some injury problems which have over-shadowed his career, but he's fast and a play-maker. He's also a Michigan guy. It's all good for Ian Gold.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Is he the guy who went to the Buccs and came back? If he is who I think he is, then I've heard a lot of good stuff about him. I think it's also the system that makes him good since he didn't work out in Tampa Bay.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Yes thats Ian Gold.

He was good in Michigan but not great. I agree with Raiders Army that the Denver system definitely seems to help him, much like the Pittsburgh system helps LBs.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love Gold.

But he's most famous for Ray Lewises punishing block on McCallisters 107 yard TD on MNF after a 60 yard FG.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
dacman
College Benchwarmer

There was one year the Michigan linebackers were Irons, Sword, and Gold and they had a DE named Steele. Talk about your all name team.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:16 PM   #8
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman
There was one year the Michigan linebackers were Irons, Sword, and Gold and they had a DE named Steele. Talk about your all name team.

Keith Jackson loved that team. Of course each time he called a game for them it was a new team for him, senile ass
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Is he the guy who went to the Buccs and came back? If he is who I think he is, then I've heard a lot of good stuff about him. I think it's also the system that makes him good since he didn't work out in Tampa Bay.

Not really a fair assessment. He played just fine in Tampa Bay. Was fifth on the team in tackles, despite recovering from the knee injury from the year before. He was also forced to play the strong side in Tampa (they have a guy playing the weak side named Derrick Brooks) Ian played the strong side, but he doesn't possess the size and strength needed to excel at that slot.

He's always been a playmaker. He may only put himself in postion to make six or seven plays a game. . . but he has tremendous closing speed and when he has a chance at a play he finishes it strong. He also seems to come up with a big play when the game is on the line. (as he did a couple of weeks ago against the Skins)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've been waiting for TroyF's assessment.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:55 AM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

TroyF-You know your shit.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Not really a fair assessment. He played just fine in Tampa Bay. Was fifth on the team in tackles, despite recovering from the knee injury from the year before. He was also forced to play the strong side in Tampa (they have a guy playing the weak side named Derrick Brooks) Ian played the strong side, but he doesn't possess the size and strength needed to excel at that slot.

He's always been a playmaker. He may only put himself in postion to make six or seven plays a game. . . but he has tremendous closing speed and when he has a chance at a play he finishes it strong. He also seems to come up with a big play when the game is on the line. (as he did a couple of weeks ago against the Skins)
Ah I remember now. He's also the reason why they let Romanowski go, right?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #13
timmyw3
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I love Gold.

But he's most famous for Ray Lewises punishing block on McCallisters 107 yard TD on MNF after a 60 yard FG.

That was Keith Burns.
timmyw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Ah I remember now. He's also the reason why they let Romanowski go, right?

Well, there were plenty of other reasons for that, but yeah, it was a big one.

Romo had pretty much wore out his welcome here anyway. (my least favorite Bronco of all time)

The idea that year was that Gold would start on the strong side (a ridiculous move), Mobley on the weak side (as if we all couldn't see he was about finished because of injuries) and Al Wilson in the middle, with Terry Peirce the youngster backing them all up.

Only Wilson stayed healthy. Both Gold and Mobley were toast after a few games. Pierce ended up being one of the very few bad picks at LB for Shanahan and it ended up being Spragan, Sykes and Wilson for most of the year.

TB decided Gold could play strongside as well. Look, he can play the strong side, but he's much better if he's in space and is chasing down plays. Now he's back at the weak side and is having a nice season. The downside is DJ Williams moved to the strong side. . . and it looks like he's a MUCH better weakside backer.

Not that there is really anything to complain about with the defense now, but I'd sure like to see DJ turned loose a bit more.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote