Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Six Sigma

Has anyone here taken any of these courses? They're a little pricey, but I think they may help me in the future. I was thinking about taking the online e-green belt one.

More information is available here: http://www.motorola.com/motorolauniversity/

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Has anyone here taken any of these courses? They're a little pricey, but I think they may help me in the future. I was thinking about taking the online e-green belt one.

More information is available here: http://www.motorola.com/motorolauniversity/

It's ok....A lot of people are starting to like the certification, I do not know if this is essential or if you truly need what is taught as a manager, but several companies I have consulted for in the past require it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Hoya1
High School JV

I've gone to some seminars. It is all good in theory, but real world complications tend to get in the way IMO.
I knew one guy who talked about his damn belt all the time. He was so stuck up on himself. The guy couldn't make a decision, but he had his belt.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

I am Green Belt certified . Working for General Electric it is required for all management or upper level posistions.

I have all kinds of books, literature etc at my dispossal if you need help.

You could send me a PM and I would be happy to mail the stuff to you at any point.

Good Luck
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check it out further and see what the web based one is like since I don't think I can get away for a week to Illinois for this.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Depends. It's a good certification for the resume, that's for sure. The utility of the stuff you learn will really depend on the work you do and the industry in which you work.

For instance, if you work in the automotive industry and you're looking to find efficiencies, you'll probably be able to put a lot of this into practice. If you work in software, specifically in developing new solutions, it's pretty much useless, as are the rest of the big, traditional methodologies.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip
I am Green Belt certified . Working for General Electric it is required for all management or upper level posistions.
We work extensively with GE and deal with a number of six sigma blackbelts. What area of GE do you work with?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How about the new (awful) GI Joe: Sigma Six

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Depends. It's a good certification for the resume, that's for sure. The utility of the stuff you learn will really depend on the work you do and the industry in which you work.

For instance, if you work in the automotive industry and you're looking to find efficiencies, you'll probably be able to put a lot of this into practice. If you work in software, specifically in developing new solutions, it's pretty much useless, as are the rest of the big, traditional methodologies.

I agree completely, I am a certified green belt and work in a helpdesk, I have not found a single use for anything that I learned. Ideally you will learn to identify and eliminate waste in processes and procedure but to use what you are taught, you rely on management. In the helpdesk I am at, management does not identify waste or really attempt to remove it.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

We use it alot where I work. I work in a manufacturing plant though, and we are always trying to eliminate mistakes, and improve processes.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

What exactly is Six Sigma?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Six standard deviations above or below the statistical mean.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 10-21-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Forgot to mention this, but we have black belts, and green belts at my company.

The black belts are management trainees, and the green belts are regular employees.

Black belts work on major projects, and green belts work on smaller projects.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #14
Router Help

I used to work for a company that did Six Sigma training. In fact our president was one of the guys who started the entire thing out of Motorola.

When it is implemented correctly, Six Sigma can have tremendous success, but the key is for management to buy in and realize how important the projects are. If management doesn't buy in, then the people working the projects tend to get bogged down in the same old day to day duties that may be cause of the problem in the first place.

As far as the e-learning goes, I know the people at my company weren't too fond of this method. I know when we did training, we would go to the clients location 3 times for 3 days for classroom lectures with about 2-3 weeks between each session. We would also come out for 1-2 days between each session to support people as they worked through there first project. From talking with people that went the e-learning route, these support days were the key because they often got stuck without knowing how to use the tools, or got sidetracked unspportive managers.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router Help
I used to work for a company that did Six Sigma training. In fact our president was one of the guys who started the entire thing out of Motorola.

When it is implemented correctly, Six Sigma can have tremendous success, but the key is for management to buy in and realize how important the projects are. If management doesn't buy in, then the people working the projects tend to get bogged down in the same old day to day duties that may be cause of the problem in the first place.

As far as the e-learning goes, I know the people at my company weren't too fond of this method. I know when we did training, we would go to the clients location 3 times for 3 days for classroom lectures with about 2-3 weeks between each session. We would also come out for 1-2 days between each session to support people as they worked through there first project. From talking with people that went the e-learning route, these support days were the key because they often got stuck without knowing how to use the tools, or got sidetracked unspportive managers.

Couldn't agree more with this. We use six sigma and I'm green belt certified and will take black belt training next year. . . but I'm not sure what the point for us using six sigma really is. 80%+ of the projects I've thought of have been shot down because "We can't go there" or "that's a sacred cow, look somewhere else" or "you can do this one, but make sure you stay away from this part of the process, it's not going to change"

Well, sorry, but the entire point of six sigma is that NO PART of the process is safe from change. The whole idea is you evaluate the entire process and then attempt to fix it by making changes to any part that isn't currently working.

If management isn't on board, the training is useless.

I don't think this is any different than any other management program or company wide software implementation. It's only going to be as effective and useful as the people running it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think thats the key TroyF, you have to have management on board. I have yet to become involved with Six Sigma were I work. But they have been stressing it as we move foward in implementation.

Now, our company has just begun implementation of Six Sigma. But I believe that in the future, it will be the track to management. I looks to be extremely helpful in you get the backing of management.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #17
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy

the goal is to have less than 3.4 defects per million...

green-belt certified. required by my employer.

the methodology is nice for lots of things. it all depends on how your management rolls it out.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote