Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

NCAA Hockey 2009-10 Thread

Probably should have started this 2-3 weeks ago

Saw UMass beat BU (again) 3-2 two weekends ago in Amherst. Of course, UMass is 3-0 and 17th, while BU is 1-2 and 4th in the polls, but that's expected . UMass is pretty much in the same position it has been the past couple seasons - a ton of small quick players, good goalie, the talent to beat any team especially at home in front of the loud, vitriolic, and often heavily inebriated students, but will they pick up the necessary points vs. the Merrimack's of Hockey East? They avoided a letdown vs. Maine (probably the worst team in HE) last weekend, but a home and home with Providence this weekend will be another test, particularly with Providence's small ice sheet and tendency to goon it up. 5'6 maybe 160? James Marcou (pronounced Mar-koo) is off to another stellar start with 1-7-8 in 3 games after going 23-56-79 in 75 games his first two years and leading HE in scoring last year as a sophomore. UMass also had a lightly recruited freshman from California, Casey Wellman, finish 9th in HE in scoring, and has two very good offensive defensemen in Justin Braun (consensus 1st team HE) and Matt Irwin. Only 1 freshman (Rocco Carzo 2-2-4) has scored so far, but Eddie Olczyk's son looked like a chip off the old block defensively and killing PK's.

The UMass-BU game was actually the best of both worlds, as UMass won, and what I can only assume is one of my Quebecois cousins, freshman and Stars 2nd round pick Alex Chiasson scored both BU goals. I actually heard the PA announcer was at the football tailgate the next day, searched him out and had a little chat about pronunciation.

My schedule might work out perfectly to hit up 2 games next weekend (at 2 of the 3 best arenas in HE) - Providence @ UMass friday night and Lowell (where my dad played, and preseason HE favorite) @ BU Saturday night. Anyone else catch any games yet?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-26-2009 at 10:02 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Haven't paid much attention to college hockey in recent years, but I do occasionally catch the standings. Mostly follow the CCHA and Michigan. Maybe one of these years, Red Berenson can get them past the frozen four...
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

BU like BC in year's past just lost too much talent after the Championship season last year. I think it will really take a couple months to get some chemistry going, and if they finish in the top 4 of HE I'll be ecstatic/amazed. They still have good talent, but they just need to mature a little faster than Coach Parker would have liked.

I'll probably hit 2 of the UNH/BU games and maybe the BU/Cornell game at MSG.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote