Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

H-trick Shopping Time (QUESTIONS!!!)

Well, after my 2-0 pasting last night at the hands of a mediocre Jayhawks of Big D team (Division V.114), I've decided to actually go out and check the Transfer Market.

Actually I'm looking at picking up as many as 8 Players in the next day or two.

Now my esteemed fellow Hattrick FOFC'ers, when you started out with your franchises, did you undertake a massive Roster overhaul like the one I'm possibly looking at? Is this a good move?

A lot of these players are a bit older, with good skills in particular areas, that I've found at great prices (at least a few of them shall I say).

I haven't expanded my Stadium yet as I don't even have my first Home Match until Wednesday Evening. After I get a chance to see how many folks actually show up I'll take a look at it. By the way, once you decide to expand, how long does it take to be completed? And one other question, how long until player(s) you've picked up off the Transfer Wire can play for your Squad? For example, say I get a guy whose bidding period ends Wednesday Morning, can he play for me later on that day?

Thanks!

MK - General Managing Partner/Vice President - First Coast Conquistadors, sponsored by Ted's of Beverly Hills Steakhouse.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-07-2003 at 12:17 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Re: H-trick Shopping Time (QUESTIONS!!!)

DOLA AMIGOS!!

I'm in one helluva Bidding War for one you fella. I don't go 2 Minutes without the guy bidding against me coming up with more $$$.

This is pretty interesting. I've got a feeling I may need to sneak a bid in there in the final couple of seconds later on this afternoon.

MK - General Managing Partner/Vice President - First Coast Conquistadors, sponsored by Ted's of Beverly Hills Steakhouse.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-07-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

I thought this thread was going to be about you pimping yourself and MK Jr. out.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Alrighty then my C-tacularian Compadre.

I'm telling you, you ought to check out this whole Hattrick thing. I'm hardly what you'd call a Big Soccer Fan, except maybe once every 4 Years at Would Cup Time, but this is pretty damn interesting.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #5
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Re: H-trick Shopping Time (QUESTIONS!!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Now my esteemed fellow Hattrick FOFC'ers, when you started out with your franchises, did you undertake a massive Roster overhaul like the one I'm possibly looking at? Is this a good move?

Yes! Do you know what you'll be training? Get 17-18 YO's in the key training spots---ALL of them. I waited until I'd played about 4 weeks before doing the overhaul because I wanted to wait until I understood the game better and until I got a decent feeling about what a good price is for certain players (didn't want to pay too much you know).
Old 04-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Dacman, what about the strategy of going after veteran players (27 or so + Years Old) that are rated well in particular areas you're looking for.. Defense, Winger, Playmaking, Scoring, etc..

I've pretty much gone after these three areas for the most part but in doing that also making sure players I'm looking at are rated well in Stamina and for a couple of them, Set Pieces as well.

I understand the reasoning for picking up young players with potential but I must say the prices for Veterans are great for what I'm looking to do.... which is compete in my Division.

By the way, I'm looking to put together a Defensive Minded Team, but I do need a couple of Playmakers/Scorers to get the job done on the Offensive end. I'd like to grind games out, you know, get a lead and pretty much sit on it, so to speak.

Thanks!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-07-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #7
dacman
College Benchwarmer

MK, sounds good -- do both!

Get good vets in positions you won't be training and young-uns in the spots you will.

With a new team, you're likely looking at training playmaking (middies) or defense. You could train something else, but you're not likely to make enough re-selling trainees to make it worth it, IMHO. I suppose scoring (forwards) is an OK option, but I would only go that route if I had several great trainees there already.

There are 2 bread and butter ways to make money (and hence improve your team) in HT. Youth squad and training young players. You need to do both to stay ahead of the game. League position, promotion, bonuses, etc. are the icing on that cake.

I know this is might be hard to understand now, but believe me, I was where you're at just 6-8 weeks ago and now I understand completely why things are this way in HT. You need a long term training plan and if you implement one, in 2-3 seasons you'll reap huge rewards.

Last edited by dacman : 04-07-2003 at 12:59 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd say check out my response in Dacman's thread (since I'm running off to class):

All youngsters on your B team with passable in what your training at the proper position and inads for everyone else in what you are training (on the chance that you will get a fortuitious bump). Old guys make great starters but are wasted as trainees.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I also had a massive roster overhaul once I got my team...now there are maybe 3 or 4 players that I started with who are still on my roster...I would not concentrate so much on age as a factor for the other positions because sometimes you can find a 20 year old in some small country for the same price as a 28 year old in the US. One thing is just be patient....I always found myself trying to build my team in one night....when it is better to just wait for the good prices to come to you so you don't have to overpay....

With that being said you can find older players who are very good, for really cheap...

Ishudhi Kumar (7939428)
32 years, inadequate form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is temperamental and honest.
Has inadequate experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Nationality: Malaysia
Assessed value: 21 000 US$
Wage: 888 US$/week including 20% Bonus
Owner: Louisiana Cyclones

Stamina: solid Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: passable Passing: inadequate
Winger: poor Defending: wretched
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: passable

I got that guy for only $3,000...he started for me last night and put up 2 stars...and also he since he has inadequate experience he is my team captain, and also my set pieces guy...so he fills 3 important roles and I was able to pick him up for cheap because he is A) Older, and B) came from a smaller country.

Another thing when looking at players to buy it is a good idea to look at form to give you a good idea if his form is normally high, or low...I try to only buy players with good form...and that would probably be a good idea for you also.

Edit: one more thing, you siad you were in a bidding war with someone, but the bidding didn't end until later this afternoon- if you are going to have computer access when the bidding ends you should wait on bidding on the player until there are about 10 minutes left, just write down his # and check when the bidding is getting closer, it keeps you from really driving the price way up to early.

edit again: I just saw you had a player on the transfer market for $15k, now his assessed value is close to that, but I don't think you will be able to find someone to buy him for that....you might but chances are low. Some people will do that, only try to sell players for high if they have no problem just holding onto them and trying to sell them again later if no one buys them...If you are just trying to get rid of players I would list them at either 0, or 1,000....This way you get more people interested in buying them and hopefully cause a bidding war and the player might go for a lot....and also, if you are just trying to get rid of them then they are more likely to be bought and no longer take a spot on your roster.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 04-07-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote