Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Am I in the wrong here?

So I was in East Lansing for the night, visiting the girlfriend, and she had to go to the MSU library to finish up studying for an exam today. Being the trooper (read: whipped) I am, I went with her to keep her company and do some reading.

Now like most college libraries, there is an area that is a little more laid back as far as being quiet goes, and then there is the main area where people need to just shut the fuck up.

I should preface this with the simple fact that 95% of the people I come in contact with generally annoy me. I love my life and am happy 99% of the time, so I just not some curmudgeon who hates life.

That said, I am also not afraid to tell people who annoy me that they do in fact annoy me. I figure it's best to be honest.

Anyway, we're in the quiet part of the library and a group of girls sit down near us and just won't shut up. They are not whispering, just out and out loud to the point I can hear their conversations. I can sense people around me are annoyed based on their constant glances at them but no one will speak up.

After 15 minutes of this, they are in the middle of a conversation about something that is funny. Finally I had enough, mainly reaching my breaking point because the topic at hand was not funny. I mean christ, if you're going to be loud, at least be entertaining.

So after finally reaching my breaking point, I yell out "you know what else would be funny? if all three of you shut the fuck up"

For a moment they were silent, then one girl says what did you say? I repeat that she needs to shut the fuck up, and then decided to add that her voice is annoying (which it was, think The Nanny) and it's giving me a migraine.

So these girls get up in a huff and while some people are chuckling my girlfriend is pissed saying it was unnessecary, even though she was as mad as anyone that they wouldn't shut the fuck up.

So I am I wrong here? I mean I guess I could have been nicer but what's the point in that?

I just refuse to believe my act of chivalry should put me in the dog house.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'da bought you a beer.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'da bought you a beer.

You officially made my 5%.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't think you're in the wrong at all, you should be rewarded for that.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Need pics before I can pass judgment.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think you could have been more tactful but not at all in the wrong. Why your girlfriend is pissed at you i beyond me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Nope. I mean, unless you count the whole dating a Sparty. :P
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Actually, were the chatty girls hot?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't think you're in the wrong at all, you should be rewarded for that.

See, I think so too. I mean I can see where she might be embarrassed in the moment, but come on, still to be mad today is a joke.

And I have to add that I make it a point to save this blow ups for the right occasion. I don't want them to lose their luster by going off on every group of annoying girls I see, because otherwise I'd probably be without a voice.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I knew I forgot to mention something.

One was kind of hot, but she had the annoying voice. Sadly, that took her down from a 7 to a 5.5.

The other two were hanger ons of the 3 and 4 variety.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think you could have been more tactful but not at all in the wrong. Why your girlfriend is pissed at you i beyond me.

Like I said above, it's more then likely because of how I did it.

And that incident did show me why Schmidty is so angry all the time. Being around so many Sparties all the time is nearly unbearable.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Rest assured that most people there applauded your actions.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
clemsonfan
High School JV

I see nothing wrong with what you did. I've done the same thing before.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

To be honest, if she's still pissed about it today then I believe there's a high probability that you're dating the wrong woman. And if that legit pissed her off (or even annoyed her if they were totally random strangers) while it came so natural to you then she's laboring under the impression that she can "change you" someday & the sooner you shed her the better.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
After 15 minutes of this, they are in the middle of a conversation about something that is funny. Finally I had enough, mainly reaching my breaking point because the topic at hand was not funny. I mean christ, if you're going to be loud, at least be entertaining.

So after finally reaching my breaking point, I yell out "you know what else would be funny? if all three of you shut the fuck up"
:
:
So I am I wrong here? I mean I guess I could have been nicer but what's the point in that?
I would have asked them to be quiet nicely first. If that didn't work, ask the librarian to intercede. But they were douches and there's a pretty good chance they won't do that again.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

What you did was right. More people need to say shit when people act like shitbags in public.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hrmm...

A buddy of mine went back to school recently at MSU, so I know the type of people of which you speak. They are horrible, stupid and incredibly annoying.

That said, I can see where your girl would be slightly upset/embarassed. It's one thing to go through the normal progression of social norms: politely ask someone to be quiet and then, if they ignore your polite request, to go to the "shut the fuck up" option. It's another thing to right to Defcon 4 and tell yell out "shut the fuck up".

I don't think I'd be pissed with a friend who did that, but I would be kind of embarassed and would certainly expect the first option.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

Since she's a female, I'd say there's a 90% chance that she's actually mad about something else, some other possibly related thing, and this is a test to see if you can figure out the correct answer.

The other 10% is that she wanted to get away from your smelly ass and used the "got to go study" as an excuse.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ever thought about coaching college football? Maybe, say, at Kansas?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
To be honest, if she's still pissed about it today then I believe there's a high probability that you're dating the wrong woman. And if that legit pissed her off (or even annoyed her if they were totally random strangers) while it came so natural to you then she's laboring under the impression that she can "change you" someday & the sooner you shed her the better.
I think some people are just not confrontational. Plus he doesn't have to see these people while she may have to be in class or run across these girls on campus.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I would have pressed the red button and gone nuclear first. There would have been no appeasement phase. They obviously didn't give a shit about anyone else other than themselves given their behavior so, being polite isn't an option given them being in their own little world. Fuck em, just 3 less Christmas cards that you'll ever have to potentially mail out.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I would have punched all three women, in order of ugliness. The ugliest one gets the first punch, because you want her to get all your force. I mean, if she's the ugliest, a little taste of steel to the jaw may just make her more attractive.

That second bowl of porridge gets a quick jab, just enough to get her runnin' off to send the message to the rest of the mediocres.

Then, the prettiest one gets a firm open hand slap to the face. Then you get down on one knee and say "Baby, let me do the talking. I hope I knocked enough sense into you to make me the happiest man on Earth". Then, when she accepts, you shove your tongue as far down her throat as possible, and then leave the library, making sure to step forcefully on the torso of the still- unconscious gargoyle on the way out.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I would have asked them to be quiet nicely first. If that didn't work, ask the librarian to intercede. But they were douches and there's a pretty good chance they won't do that again.

Speaking of the librarian, where was s/he? Keeping the place quiet for everyone is part of their job.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #24
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

You should have been nicer and not embarrassed them. Kindly walk over and say could you keep it down, if you were any better looking I'd know what to do the next time you opened your mouth.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd have done the same damned thing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've pretty much done the same thing at a movie before. Some people just don't know when to shut the fuck up.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the action. Don't agree with the strength of the protest. I don't see why it was necessary to yell at them or curse at them. I would have simply walked over and told them to be quiet. It's a public library and people are trying to study.

I don't know, unless I am missing something from your narrative, the force of your reaction didn't seem to fit the crime, IMO.

Now, if you told them politely to be quiet, and they didn't, unleash DeTox Shock & Awe with my approval.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Of course, I say that as someone who never has to yell, per say. If there's one thing I am good at, it is projecting tone with my attitude and directness. I can pretty much visualize what would have happened if I were in your shoes, and although I wouldn't have yelled or cursed, I am pretty sure those girls would have felt I was as much a piece of crap as they do you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #29
SportsDino
College Prospect

I'm disliking all this Sparty slander here, but to stay on topic...

You probably should have given them fair warning before bringing out the nuclear option. Most people actually back down faster to the polite-firm 'shut the hell up' than the yelled 'shut the hell up'.

But going nuclear should always be in the playbook, and utilized far more often than it is. In a theatre I've had it get to the point where a jackass was so obnoxious that after I called him out his own friends were telling him to shut the hell up. After that he settled for one dumbass jab near the end of the movie to act like he was still significant, but cowards like that ain't got the balls to resist the nuclear option, especially once its escalated up the chain from the polite 'shut up please' to 'shut the fuck up or you will be begging the usher to spare you from my wrath asshole'.

Latter works better if you are bigger than the jerk. Also for women, use the 'your fat' optional attack to cause them to sputter into tears.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Bravo.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well the reason she's pissed is actually my own fault! I hate to admit it but I had totally forgotten to do something for her I was supposed to do earlier in the day even after I told her twice I'd do it and I just forgot. She just let it get to a head after the blow up when she realized I wasn't remembering.

Anyway, yes I do agree a more tactful approach should have come first as a warning. I might toss it in to mix things up next time.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well the reason she's pissed is actually my own fault! I hate to admit it but I had totally forgotten to do something for her I was supposed to do earlier in the day even after I told her twice I'd do it and I just forgot. She just let it get to a head after the blow up when she realized I wasn't remembering.

Anyway, yes I do agree a more tactful approach should have come first as a warning. I might toss it in to mix things up next time.

Excuse me, but could you PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Called it!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

Old man rant?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Called it!

Haha, yes. Well played sir.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

after you went all manly you should have thrown your girlfriend up against a stack of books and fucked the hell out of her. You got her all warmed up by showing your brute dominance and then left her hanging.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #38
SportsDino
College Prospect

Yes, this is the MSU Library after all... it is sort of tradition and expected!
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
Yes, this is the MSU Library after all... it is sort of tradition and expected!

Some things do never change there that's for sure.

I will say this, I love EL as a city.

I am still hurting though from El Azteca yesterday. Oh man was it good yesterday, but not as good today.