Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Karim
College Starter

Question About Hidden Ratings in Sims

Suppose there's an option in a text sim that impacts hidden ratings. As a gamer, do you want or need to know the actual breakdown?

For example, suppose there's an option to choose some abstract text and you choose "I'd like to thank my coaches". Obviously, you'd expect that to increase your "coachability" hidden rating. But what if the developer also applies a negative modifier as a result of this choice? Do you want or need to know?

What about something less clear such as "It's showtime!" You really have no idea about the potential modifiers here and are flying blind.

I'm trying to think of a way that a gamer can have a conscious impact on the direction of hidden ratings at the start of a game without needing to reveal all of the game's mechanics.

Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think it depends. Mystery like in real life makes things more immersive. I think games that are too mathematical about it are a lot less fun.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Karim
College Starter

Thanks for the response. It's a delicate balance. Mystery is good but the user needs adequate feedback to know the consequences of his or her actions, especially if the game is going sideways.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Thanks for the response. It's a delicate balance. Mystery is good but the user needs adequate feedback to know the consequences of his or her actions, especially if the game is going sideways.

My answer is what you just said.

It also all depends on WHAT is being kept hidden.

Say I draft a superstar prospect and one the code actually says "yeah, no, this guy is going to be Ryan Leaf" That's fine. I don't have an issue with it. I would hope some of his ratings might give me pause (like a Jim Gindin red flag), but I don't have to know the guy is going to bust and some of those red flags should become superstars. That's life.

On the other hand, if everything I can see about a player says they are a good guy, professional, hard working and suddenly they become angry and refuse to play well because I complimented one of their teammates, that isn't mysterious, it is frustrating.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote