Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official Destiny Thread

It's almost time. The game has gone gold. Release is only two weeks away. Lots of info in the latest blog along with the Destiny characters taking the Ice Bucket Challenge (Love the people the characters challenged as well). Around 1.5M in retail pre-sales thus far.

Bungie : News

This thing is ripe for a FOFC clan, no? Looks like it caps at 100 people per clan currently. Note that you can't do cross-platform clans.

Really excited about this game.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
The Jackal
Coordinator

Curious to hear what people think of this, I've been considering for awhile
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

What exactly kind of game is this - hard to tell from the trailer. Looks like some kind of FPS with teams?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

FPS shooter brought to you by the original creators of Halo. I played the beta on PS4 and found it to be a lot of fun. You go out solo or in fire teams of up to 3 players, clearing out aliens or searching for items needed to complete missions.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Destiny is one very expensive game to make. Granted the 500 million figure is for a whole series of games.

Activision investing $500 million for Bungie's Destiny - GameSpot
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this was one of those games that they keep adding onto rather than releasing a sequel. Basically just keep expanding it, much like some of the online MMORPG's. Would be a cash cow and would keep the base interested.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Last update before release. One week to go.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That white PS4 Destiny bundle is tempting.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to see how it plays on the Vita via Remote Play.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
The Jackal
Coordinator

I pre-ordered it yesterday
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty cool fan-created interactive maps of the various places in Destiny created with Google Maps.

https://www.destinyplanetview.com/en/home
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Good option for those that are still on a last-gen system. If you buy the PS3 version, you get the downloadable PS4 version free. Similarly, if you buy the 360 version, you get the X1 version for free.

Destiny digital purchase on PS3, 360 get free PS4, Xbox One upgrade | Joystiq
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

double dola

Another update from the developers about the release build and reviews.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's preloaded ony PS4 now. Can't wait for the 9th!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Live stream up and running! Just looks like a ton of fun! Love the RPG elements in the game.

Joystiq Streams: Destiny | Joystiq
Old 09-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Heading over to pick up the game tonight. Unfortunately, probably won't get to play it until tomorrow night due to work stuff.

Will be interesting to see how the MS and Sony networks handle the stress created by the game. Outside of release day, this is easily the biggest stress test they've seen thus far on the new consoles.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So anyone get a chance to play the game yet? I didn't bother to pick my copy up last night because I saw that they weren't going to open up the servers until 2:00 AM and I'm not a kid who can stay up all night anymore.

Going to pick up this afternoon on the way home and play until I can't stay awake tonight. I already picked up both expansions at release as well, which is something I NEVER do under normal circumstances. Really excited to play the game and happy to see there's apparently no server issues thus far.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

The early reviews I've been reading on metacritic (not the user reviews) haven't done anything to convince me this will be my kind of game. I don't particularly enjoy playing against or with strangers online these days.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Put in about four hours tonight. Played on a strike team with one of my friends for most of that time. Great time just chatting while going through the story mode. Love how you wander through the worlds and see other players fighting their own battles. You can jump in to help out or just keep progressing on your own pace.

I'd definitely say this is a game you'll want to partner up with others to play. It's just a lot more fun that way. It's nice to have your friends list in the game so you can just go out and join them anywhere they might be. You can drop in and help them out for awhile and then leave at any time if you want to do so.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #20
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Fun times.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, even the simpler battles are easier with a group. Flanking seems to be a huge part of this game.

Had a lot of fun last night.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #22
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The early reviews I've been reading on metacritic (not the user reviews) haven't done anything to convince me this will be my kind of game. I don't particularly enjoy playing against or with strangers online these days.

It has a similar feel to Guild Wars and other similar MMOPGs, except its a pure shooter. I imagine people reviewing it with a more traditional single player story arc and play model in mind will score it lower. It doesn't hook you in the same way.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-10-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My PSN is Limelicker in case anyone needs an extra buddy. Think I have most of you added to my friends list already, but you can never have enough friends handy for this game.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
Icy
Pro Starter

Having a lot of fun so far playing alone and teaming up with some randoms. I had no idea about how the story and multiplayer were tied together but find it pretty original how they mix up.

Created a Titan class guy and looking forward to keep playing more tonight if wife allows it.

I don't think I have most of you added as friends, Donae have a thread with ps4 ids?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #26
Super Ugly
High School JV

Having fun so far, but I definitely need to team up with some people. I don't normally play online, so I don't have anyone on my friends list. I'm yorick2300 on PS4 if anybody wants to be friends...
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Having a lot of fun so far playing alone and teaming up with some randoms. I had no idea about how the story and multiplayer were tied together but find it pretty original how they mix up.

Created a Titan class guy and looking forward to keep playing more tonight if wife allows it.

I don't think I have most of you added as friends, Donae have a thread with ps4 ids?

How are they tied together?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Played some new modes last night. Got into the Crucible a bit last night. Got killed a LOT, but it was fun. Going to be a bit of a curve getting into that portion of the game.

Also played on one of the patrol levels. Like the small missions to keep things interesting. Love the team events that pop up where all the players rush into help out against a big enemy. Thought it was neat as well that the various enemy factions actually fight against each other on the level.

One thing I do really like is how 'easy' it is to play this game. It's not hard to find things to do or navigate between the various locations. Even when doing things like moving around equipment or upgrading various options, it's really easy to figure out how to do it. It's very clear they took a lot of time making the interface very user friendly. Hell, you don't even have to go to a shop to sell gear to make money. That alone saves a lot of time you'd waste in other games.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #29
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It is a great game. There's so many things to do for whatever mood you are in.

Got a short amount of time? You can do patrols.
Want to dedicate an hour or more? The Strikes will suit you.
PVP? The Crucible is just a jump away.

Love the public events. We had a Walker drop in in Old Russia, and suddenly there were eight other Guardians teaming up on this thing. Suffice to say we got the gold reward.

I love the seamless transition and the fact that my patrol map is populated by other fireteams doing their own story missions or patrol missons, and sometimes I lend people a hand.

Oh, and the ability to tweak your loadout during the loading screen is fantastic!

I'm thoroughly impressed by Destiny.

If you are on PS4, add me up: ImmortalKaiser

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 09-11-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
It is a great game. There's so many things to do for whatever mood you are in.

Love the public events. We had a Walker drop in in Old Russia, and suddenly there were eight other Guardians teaming up on this thing. Suffice to say we got the gold reward.

I love the seamless transition and the fact that my patrol map is populated by other fireteams doing their own story missions or patrol missons, and sometimes I lend people a hand.

Oh, and the ability to tweak your loadout during the loading screen is fantastic!

It was pretty funny when I saw my first public event. I saw the alert and wondered what the hell was going on. Just wandered towards all the commotion and started firing away!

It's always fun to jump in and help out some lower level players on their missions. There's a lot of that happening thus far, which is great.

Inventory management during loading is awesome. One of those things that after you see it, you wonder why the hell every game doesn't have it.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
My PSN is Limelicker in case anyone needs an extra buddy. Think I have most of you added to my friends list already, but you can never have enough friends handy for this game.

So that's who all those Diablo legendary gift drops have been for.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So that's who all those Diablo legendary gift drops have been for.

Obviously a side topic, but how does that all work? I know you can get lots of stuff if your friends play as well. I've been playing that game a lot too, so I'm not surprised.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #33
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

All the positive comments have sold me... I'm Leadfoot5 on PSN and will be adding you guys soon!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone know how these weekly heroic missions work? I didn't play in the beta, so wasn't sure if anyone had experienced these before and how they generally work.

I think we may want to set up a FOFC clan. Easy matchmaking and we some benefits from other clan members. I'll look to set one up when I get home tonight.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #35
Icy
Pro Starter

I have added some of you as friends, my PSN is: Icekill

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone on the Xbone playing this? I'm thinking about picking this up tonight....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #37
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Obviously a side topic, but how does that all work? I know you can get lots of stuff if your friends play as well. I've been playing that game a lot too, so I'm not surprised.

play, kill shit. when a legendary drops, sometimes - not always, but sometimes - a gift for a friend playing the game will drop. the gifts go into the top segment of your inventory. Go to the gift, hit 'X' and it'll send to their mailbox. For the other person, log in, collect legendary items from mailbox.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #38
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think I'm SackAttack on PSN. It displays my real name on my console now, though, so I'm not 100% sure there isn't more to it than just 'SackAttack.' I'll have to check the next time I'm on Diablo or Destiny, since I think THOSE show my PSN name.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #39
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone on the Xbone playing this? I'm thinking about picking this up tonight....

Thinking hard about it.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I think I'm SackAttack on PSN. It displays my real name on my console now, though, so I'm not 100% sure there isn't more to it than just 'SackAttack.' I'll have to check the next time I'm on Diablo or Destiny, since I think THOSE show my PSN name.

I can confirm that you are SackAttack on PSN.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
SackAttack
Head Coach

Thanks. I remember when Sony sent my PS3, they screwed up and sent me a debug unit at first. So I tried to create my ID and it got eaten by the debug network.

So I had to switch. And what I couldn't remember is if it was my Xbox Live gamertag (Rincewind) which got eaten on PSN, or if it was SackAttack and I'd had to change to, like, SackAttackFOFC or something.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #42
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

My name is Matt2600 if anyone wants to add me on PS4

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #43
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Thinking hard about it.

I'm thinking you should because I picked it up on the way home

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #44
SackAttack
Head Coach

Icy saved my butt tonight. I was solo'ing a mission when the girl I've been seeing started texting me. I tried to juggle the two and must have died fifteen times in the same place before he saw me online and joined my fireteam. I was still a little distracted on the next mission we ran, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Most of my deaths on that second mission were about me being a John Rambo dumbass and getting myself killed instead of trying to juggle phone and game at the same time.

Gonna hafta get you a mic though, Icy. Since the game doesn't pause when you go to messages trying to communicate that way could get dangerous!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #45
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

So played to lvl 4 (almost 5) solo. Are there any matchmaking to join squads or do you have to invite people to join? I didn't see a single person playing or while is was "in town"

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-12-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #46
SackAttack
Head Coach

You can join firesquads if the person you want to join has it set to 'anybody' or is on your friends list. you just highlight them with the reticule, click R3, choose 'join firesquad.'

You can invite them to join if their squad is closed but you want to play with them. It's possible for people to help you on missions without formally joining you also. They just shoot at what you're shooting at.

There's no matchmaking for random squads that I know of.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #47
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

The problem is - I didn't see one other person playing the whole time I was playing. Are there certain boards/missions where it's open? I was mostly doing the storyline missions.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #48
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Almost to lvl 20. God, this is such a good game. Really really polished.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
The problem is - I didn't see one other person playing the whole time I was playing. Are there certain boards/missions where it's open? I was mostly doing the storyline missions.

It's open everywhere. I'd bet you'll see more people in the patrol missions, where you get the random events, or in the crucible (PvP), but I've seen people running around even in the regular story missions.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #50
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really really loving the game. And yes, the polish and stability day one on a complex game like this is very impressive.